Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 301 to 313 of 313
  1. #301
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,041
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  2. #302
    Senior Member robabeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    space
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Supersix, Ultegra, Psimet wheels. CAAD7, Ultegra, wheels
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of well known research oriented nutrition/training gurus claim that adrenal fatigue is bunk.

    Thoughts?

  3. #303
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seems like something that could theoretically happen, but if blood tests don't show it and you can't really know if it's fixed, it smells of nutritionist selling points.

    Just eat well and sleep more and enjoy your morning coffee.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  4. #304
    avatar by Sean Powers mike868y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    charm city
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    6,706
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    seems like something that could theoretically happen, but if blood tests don't show it and you can't really know if it's fixed, it smells of nutritionist selling points.

    Just eat well and sleep more and enjoy your morning coffee.

    enjoying your morning coffee is a lot different than having to basically have an IV caffeine drip at all times, though. i'm surrounded by kids every day who are basically dependent on caffeine/adderall/cocaine to get through the day and that definitely messes up your system. i've gotten pretty dependent on caffeine in the past (avg 5 hours sleep a night for a few weeks + 14-18 hours of riding + a full class schedule + 15-20 hrs/week of lab work) and it's not a fun place. if i get to the point where i'm drinking more than two french presses a day (basically 4 "mugs" worth of coffee) I try to chill. three a day and i'm in the danger zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    it depends

  5. #305
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, the only bit of Mandarin I learned in Taiwan was that which enabled me to order coffees at 7-11. Addiction is a powerful motivator.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  6. #306
    Senior Member Wesley36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, not "ka- fay" is not much of a stretch for coffee (basically pronounce "cafe" and try to add a Chinese accent).

    And re: adrenal fatigue, I guess it seems harder for me to believe that the adrenals CANNOT be fatigued, than to believe that they can be - seems plausible to me. That said, I am sure that it is much less common than often suggested. For example, the author of the Pez article suggests that adrenal fatigue can lead to depression, anxiety and difficulty concentrating. In some individuals that she has consulted with, I am sure that is true. However, on a population basis, the data suggests that moderate caffeine consumption (3 -5 cups a day) has a protective effect in regards to depression.

    Part of the problem is that we know that different people respond differently to caffeine, but we are not quite sure why (much like beets...).

    For my part, this is my team next season, and I fit in well:
    CL-Header2.jpg

    I roast my own beans:
    iroast2.jpg
    And pull my own shots of espresso:
    la-pavoni-espresso-machines-epg-8-200.jpg

    It is one of my other favorite hobbies, but it makes it difficult to go out for coffee. Espresso in North America, in my experience, is almost always burnt and/or over-extracted. I still drink coffee when I go out, but I know *exactly* how I like it when I make it.

  7. #307
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    da hei kafay !

    I am sure they had no idea wtf I was saying, but the Mr. Brown is always near enough the register to point.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  8. #308
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,623
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
    lol, not "ka- fay" is not much of a stretch for coffee (basically pronounce "cafe" and try to add a Chinese accent).

    And re: adrenal fatigue, I guess it seems harder for me to believe that the adrenals CANNOT be fatigued, than to believe that they can be - seems plausible to me. That said, I am sure that it is much less common than often suggested. For example, the author of the Pez article suggests that adrenal fatigue can lead to depression, anxiety and difficulty concentrating. In some individuals that she has consulted with, I am sure that is true. However, on a population basis, the data suggests that moderate caffeine consumption (3 -5 cups a day) has a protective effect in regards to depression.

    Part of the problem is that we know that different people respond differently to caffeine, but we are not quite sure why (much like beets...).

    For my part, this is my team next season, and I fit in well:
    CL-Header2.jpg

    I roast my own beans:
    iroast2.jpg
    And pull my own shots of espresso:
    la-pavoni-espresso-machines-epg-8-200.jpg

    It is one of my other favorite hobbies, but it makes it difficult to go out for coffee. Espresso in North America, in my experience, is almost always burnt and/or over-extracted. I still drink coffee when I go out, but I know *exactly* how I like it when I make it.
    I used to pull shots/own a pasquini livia. I am back to a simple press/drip with good beans and grind but I feel your pain

  9. #309
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    da hei kafay !

    I am sure they had no idea wtf I was saying, but the Mr. Brown is always near enough the register to point.
    Back when I started going to Taiwan a lot (about '95) Mr. Brown saved me from the horrid stuff they called coffee - always instant and so weak you could read a newspaper through a cup of it. Then Starbucks came in and a lot of places learned to make coffee.

  10. #310
    avatar by Sean Powers mike868y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    charm city
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    6,706
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh View Post
    Then Starbucks came in and a lot of places learned to make coffee.
    wut
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    it depends

  11. #311
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again with the ignorance for effect. he didn't say starbucks was the best ever, he said starbucks came around and other places tried to at least produce actual coffee.

    I erred before, it wasn't Mr. Browns, I think it was City Coffee. Most of it looked to be made from a keurig-type machine where they would pick the size and any cream/sugar pre-mix.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  12. #312
    Senior Member Wesley36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems germane:

    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/11/ca...ance-enhancer/

    One of the things that you need to be aware of when interpreting study results is that the average tells you nothing about the responses of individuals within the study. In some cases everyone follows the same pattern and is close to the average, but in others the variation between individuals is massive.

    And with caffeine there does seem to be a large variation in how people respond. Whilst the average benefit seems to be around 2-5% in most studies, there are some athletes that have shown no improvement or even performed worse when taking caffeine compared to placebo.

    No-one knows exactly why the performance response to caffeine is so individual (it’s not related to whether you’re a regular coffee drinker or not, see below), but one reason is probably that the rate at which caffeine enters your bloodstream varies greatly between people, as shown in the graph below.

    So whilst one athlete may benefit from taking caffeine one hour before a race, others may need to take it two hours before for it to work. Like almost everything in sports nutrition, it highlights the need to try caffeine in training before you load up on it for an important race.

    It’s also important to note that some people experience side-effects from caffeine at the doses that have been shown to improve performance. These include increased heart rate, anxiety and reduced ability to perform precision type tasks, as well as difficulty sleeping after training or competition.

  13. #313
    Senior Member Bronze Potato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    Pretty fast ones
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
    wut
    Hopefully the inference isn't that Starbucks makes excellent coffee but more that they helped the current coffee craze get some legs.
    Hills are just flats that are tipped on one end.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •