Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 176
  1. #1
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What is your climbing weapon of choice?

    Just wondering...... ?


    I just built one up today, VERY low budget build but lighter than my spare 105 caad9. (Anybody wanna buy the frame/fork ? size 56).


    Pics coming up... and yes, it's a carbon frame.
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  2. #2
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,856
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    weapon?

    I just ride what I have.

  3. #3
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    legs and lungs.

    anymore 41 questions?

  4. #4
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    15,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are not weapons or rigs. We do not 'rock' either.

  5. #5
    Mitcholo CrimsonKarter21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oost Vlaanderen in mind, Cleveland in body
    My Bikes
    2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red
    Posts
    8,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My road bike??? Is this a trick question?

  6. #6
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not like Sugarloaf is anything more than a 2 minute power climb anyway.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  7. #7
    Elite Fred mollusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Edge City
    My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Posts
    10,539
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you plan on moving? It is a good 10 hour drive from south Florida to any climbing.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

  8. #8
    going roundy round wanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    6,045
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I get down to #205, I'm buying a set of Zipp 202's.
    Quote Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
    Damn.

  9. #9
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    it's not like Sugarloaf is anything more than a 2 minute power climb anyway.
    .... and how many will be shelled even with that short climb?

    Anyway, If I'm lucky, I've shed 1/2 a pound from the bike...

    We'll see, I'll use 50mm carbon tubular wheels for the races next weekend.


    Planet-x super light pro carbon (medium). Sram crankset, ultegra RD, 105 FD, 105 shifters. (budget build)
    ultegra chain, ultegra brakes, s-works bars (42mm). S-works Roubaix bar tape.

    and finally - I built it all by myself. (uh oh...)

    ff_p_x_1_Mar-2010.jpg
    Last edited by fordfasterr; 03-14-10 at 04:44 PM.
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  10. #10
    Announcer EventServices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the drops.
    My Bikes
    Too many and not enough
    Posts
    4,963
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Pro riders are issued just two bikes for the entire season. One for training. One for racing.
    They don't have a crit bike and a climbing bike and a road bike and a sprinting bike.
    They have A bike.

  11. #11
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    10,977
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EventServices View Post
    Most Pro riders are issued just two bikes for the entire season. One for training. One for racing.
    They don't have a crit bike and a climbing bike and a road bike and a sprinting bike.
    They have A bike.
    Point?

  12. #12
    Senior Member ericm979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Posts
    6,170
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this climbing bike for some of those extra difficult freeway overpasses there in Florida?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50/50 optimism/masochism

  14. #14
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EventServices View Post
    Most Pro riders are issued just two bikes for the entire season. One for training. One for racing.
    They don't have a crit bike and a climbing bike and a road bike and a sprinting bike.
    They have A bike.
    This is something I thought about posting, but ended up passing on. But now that you've brought it up, I think it's very funny that we amateurs are often so anxious to emulate Pro style, but that we haven't caught up on this. There was a time when special climbing bikes, crit bikes, etc were fairly common, but that hasn't been true for a while now. But among amateurs it's still some kind of point of pride or symbol of "dedication to the sport" (at least in the mind of the special-purpose bike owner) to own a different bike for crits and road races, for example.

    This is usually justified in terms of economics: that it's more fiscally responsible to buy and race a cheaper bike in crits. I feel like a broken record in those threads, pointing out that two bikes do, in fact, cost more than one bike and that frame-destroying crashes are not actually all that common. I usually end up getting shouted down.

    But anyway, I climb on my crit bike and race crits on my climbing bike.

  15. #15
    Senior Member curiouskid55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SoCal Baby
    My Bikes
    o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pro's team mechanic will have his bike set up for the days requirements. Wheels, rings, cassette, bars,stems, seats,blah, blah,blah. My CR1 is my sprint , climbing, training, noodling bike same set up regardless. I change the wheels , that's about it. I TT om my trusty rusty Q ROO.

  16. #16
    Flying Under the Radar X-LinkedRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northeast PA
    My Bikes
    10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
    Posts
    4,108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it is considered a weapon but the Smallest Chain ring is my answer.
    12' SuperiorLite SL Pro w/ Sram Rival | 10' SuperiorLite SL Club w/ Sram Force | 06' Giant FCR (Dropbar) w/ Shimano 5700 | 10' GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

  17. #17
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    10,977
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    but among amateurs it's still some kind of point of pride or symbol of "dedication to the sport" (at least in the mind of the special-purpose bike owner) to own a different bike for crits and road races, for example.

    But anyway, i climb on my crit bike and race crits on my climbing bike.

    2004 specialized s-works e5 w/rival/2006 surly lht





    Indeed.





  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Epo
    Quote Originally Posted by hao View Post
    Yes yes. Next time when I post about how I was riding in Belgium and was complimented by Fabian Cancellara and was invited to Saxo-Bank, you'll all know that by Belgium I mean Bumtown KY, by Fabian Cancellara I mean a creepy old dude, and by Saxo-Bank I mean his house. And knowing all that, you'll still whole-heartedly congratulate me on my extraordinary achievement.

  19. #19
    Senior Member tmiller9909's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    145 lbs bodyweight (or less). Low bodyfat %. Training. Pacing/Rhythm

    Equipment? - Zipp 303 Z series

  20. #20
    Senior Member?
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Denver
    My Bikes
    orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu
    Posts
    1,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My crit bike is the one that I'm less afraid to crash.

    If I were a pro and I snapped my only bike in half, I'd get another one. I'm not a pro so I own 2 road bikes.

  21. #21
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    This is something I thought about posting, but ended up passing on. But now that you've brought it up, I think it's very funny that we amateurs are often so anxious to emulate Pro style, but that we haven't caught up on this. There was a time when special climbing bikes, crit bikes, etc were fairly common, but that hasn't been true for a while now. But among amateurs it's still some kind of point of pride or symbol of "dedication to the sport" (at least in the mind of the special-purpose bike owner) to own a different bike for crits and road races, for example.

    This is usually justified in terms of economics: that it's more fiscally responsible to buy and race a cheaper bike in crits. I feel like a broken record in those threads, pointing out that two bikes do, in fact, cost more than one bike and that frame-destroying crashes are not actually all that common. I usually end up getting shouted down.

    But anyway, I climb on my crit bike and race crits on my climbing bike.
    While some of what you wrote is true, many teams offer their riders completely different bikes for flat and mountain stages...LOOK and Ridley sponsored teams to name just two. Also many riders will change the cockpit set up for mountain stages as well. Not saying this is necessary for an amateur but lets not pretend that all pro's get one race bike and have to deal with it.

  22. #22
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfasterr View Post
    .... and how many will be shelled even with that short climb?

    Quite a few. My point was lost, so let me make it clearer.

    Surviving sugarloaf is less about the weight of the bike and more about increasing your ability to go super hard for 2 minutes. Based on your sprint and fastest mile reports, I suspect you might have those goods; the spending superfluous time and money to shave the 1/2 pound isn't going to help much. Save that effort for 6 gap.

    Edited to add: nice bike, but what's up with that funky seat angle?
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  23. #23
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Quite a few. My point was lost, so let me make it clearer.

    Surviving sugarloaf is less about the weight of the bike and more about increasing your ability to go super hard for 2 minutes. Based on your sprint and fastest mile reports, I suspect you might have those goods; the spending superfluous time and money to shave the 1/2 pound isn't going to help much. Save that effort for 6 gap.

    Edited to add: nice bike, but what's up with that funky seat angle?


    I have to ride it to day (recovery ride) and make any necessary adjustments, that was just the initial build photo.


    Thats a nashbar saddle.
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  24. #24
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
    While some of what you wrote is true, many teams offer their riders completely different bikes for flat and mountain stages...LOOK and Ridley sponsored teams to name just two. Also many riders will change the cockpit set up for mountain stages as well. Not saying this is necessary for an amateur but lets not pretend that all pro's get one race bike and have to deal with it.
    There are obvious exceptions, of course, though my impression with Ridley was that riders tended to choose a preferred bike (e.g. Noah or Helium) at the beginning of the season based on the kind of racing they expected to do and then stick with that. I can't say I follow closely the details of Ridley's sponsorships. Anyway, the point is that it's definitely less common than it used to be. And changing the setup of a bike is a bit different than having a whole separate bike, IMO. It's not something that I think is wrong, or that racers shouldn't do, I just think it's a bit silly.

    Ex, I don't quite get your point, but if you're trying to point out that my signature is stupid, I agree with you.

  25. #25
    fair weather cyclist pjcampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Green Mountains
    My Bikes
    Colnago c50
    Posts
    1,334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of 202s on a PowerTap which is like 2# less than my 303s. Bike is still well over 17# with 202 tubular Powertap + Colnago C50 and Campy Record...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •