Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Look KG386i
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    2004 Look KG386i
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tracking registration openings

    I was frustrated this morning to discover that registration for my favorite race had been filled 5 minutes after it opened! Grrr. BikeReg is so cumbersome to use, I have to take 30 minutes out of my work day just to figure out if there's a new race I can sign up for.

    I'm very tempted to build an iPhone app that handles all this for me.

    Do you guys have a special way to track race registration openings? Right now I'm manually setting up iCal alerts. Awful.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,299
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must not do popular races since I've never run into a closed field problem

    I use bikereg, and knowing the guys behind it, having used them from almost the very beginning (to promote races), I'm a huge believer in their system. For me it works really well.

    For races that you "want" to do, you should research them in advance. The reason the field filled in 5 minutes is because enough people that wanted to do the race actually researched their races and registered for it the minute it opened.

    Having said that your app may find traction among the racing community. There's a reason why algorithmic trading is so big compared to manual trading.

    cdr

  3. #3
    Look KG386i
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    2004 Look KG386i
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
    you should research them in advance.
    I guess that's my point. I want to race as much as possible. I shouldn't need to spend hours researching the registration opening time. The time would be better spent researching the course layout, etc.

    The way registration openings are delivered on BikeReg irks me because it's a design issue, not an information issue or training issue.

    If you're buddies with the creators... would it be possible to get access to a data dump of race names and their openings?

  4. #4
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmyke View Post
    I guess that's my point. I want to race as much as possible. I shouldn't need to spend hours researching the registration opening time. The time would be better spent researching the course layout, etc.

    The way registration openings are delivered on BikeReg irks me because it's a design issue, not an information issue or training issue.

    If you're buddies with the creators... would it be possible to get access to a data dump of race names and their openings?
    I've never seen a flyer that doesn't explicitly say when registration opens.

  5. #5
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,290
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tspek View Post
    I've never seen a flyer that doesn't explicitly say when registration opens.
    +1 - Big races fill fast. It doesn't take long to search on bikereg for events. In the Chicago area there are a ton of local websites that have event calendars that directly link to the bikereg page. Bikereg lists the reg open time explicitly at the top of the reg page.

    Most of the early season big events for this area fill quickly in the 5's and even 4'3 and 3's. It's a PITA to have to register while at work and I would appreciate if they opened reg at 7pm or so, but I would probably lose out on more events that way as the lazy sleeping in college students would probably be awake at that point and not starting threads on BF about how they can't seem to use a computer to register for an event at the ungodly hour of 8.

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having said what I just did...I think I probably take for granted the work that Luke Seemann does at ChicagoBikeRacing.com, the race list in particular.


    Perhaps the void is something like this...

  7. #7
    Look KG386i
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    2004 Look KG386i
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
    there are a ton of local websites that have event calendars that directly link to the bikereg page.
    ... I don't really see the logic in defending that as the best solution. I want a single page that gives me that information instead of going to multiple local websites.

    Anyway. iPhone app building will commence shortly. If anyone's interested in an app that alerts you when upcoming races in your area are about to open, let me know.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sign up for the mabra google groups list serve, every race opening is announced well in advance.

    how could you possibly find bikereg cumbersome? i'm an idiot when it comes to anything computer related and i find that bike reg is pretty darned self explanatory.

  9. #9
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    for what it's worth I think lower category road races tend to close pretty quick. I can't recall ever getting closed out of a race myself though. There's a handful of big races a year and keeping track of when I have to register for those isn't too big a chore. If some guy designs an iphone app that saves him from something he doesn't like more power to him I guess.

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmyke View Post
    ... I don't really see the logic in defending that as the best solution. I want a single page that gives me that information instead of going to multiple local websites.
    So make a better solution...

    Anyway. iPhone app building will commence shortly. If anyone's interested in an app that alerts you when upcoming races in your area are about to open, let me know.
    Ahh, good.

  11. #11
    Draught jwible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    N-1 where N = number needed
    Posts
    4,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to see how many people have registered for an event in BikeReg.com or is that only available to the promoters?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwible View Post
    Is there a way to see how many people have registered for an event in BikeReg.com or is that only available to the promoters?
    click on confirmed riders, you not only get to see how many, but also who.

  13. #13
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwible View Post
    Is there a way to see how many people have registered
    Yes.

    That's sort of irrelevant to the example in this post. There are a few occasions where races literally fill up in minutes. Just knowing when it starts doesn't exactly promise you'll get in.

  14. #14
    Look KG386i
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    2004 Look KG386i
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    sign up for the mabra google groups list serve, every race opening is announced well in advance.

    how could you possibly find bikereg cumbersome? i'm an idiot when it comes to anything computer related and i find that bike reg is pretty darned self explanatory.
    I'm on it, but only passively. It's cumbersome to navigate through all the for sale/wanted/whatever posts just to find one about a race registration coming up.

    I guess my point with all of this is there's no at-a-glance way to see all upcoming races, when their registration opens, and whether or not it's full. I'm hoping I can solve this problem before I upgrade to CAT4 where it won't matter as much

  15. #15
    grilled cheesus aham23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    8675309
    My Bikes
    2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Posts
    6,933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bikereg is a dream come true compared to action. also, i second the mad props nomination for chicagobikeracing.com. a fabulous resource for chicago area racers. later.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmyke View Post
    I'm on it, but only passively. It's cumbersome to navigate through all the for sale/wanted/whatever posts just to find one about a race registration coming up.

    I guess my point with all of this is there's no at-a-glance way to see all upcoming races, when their registration opens, and whether or not it's full. I'm hoping I can solve this problem before I upgrade to CAT4 where it won't matter as much
    i guess i never found this too much trouble. cat 4 races fill up as fast as cat 5 races, so if you cant keep track of things as is, guess you should build your application.

  17. #17
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmyke View Post
    I'm on it, but only passively. It's cumbersome to navigate through all the for sale/wanted/whatever posts just to find one about a race registration coming up.

    I guess my point with all of this is there's no at-a-glance way to see all upcoming races, when their registration opens, and whether or not it's full. I'm hoping I can solve this problem before I upgrade to CAT4 where it won't matter as much
    You do realize that whomever puts together this resource is going to have to maintain it. I don't get the sense that you have the dedication to do that.

  18. #18
    Draught jwible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    N-1 where N = number needed
    Posts
    4,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    click on confirmed riders, you not only get to see how many, but also who.
    Odd. The TT has a Confirmed Riders option but the race weekend doesn't. http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=9674

  19. #19
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, which is why wrote a little program that yanks the information from BikeReg and adds it to a google calendar. Its quick and dirty but seems to work. I run it once a day at least to add/update races. If you don't see a date for your race, chances are its already open. Use the link below to add the calendar to your google calendar by URL.

    http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds...m/public/basic
    Last edited by RacerMike; 03-17-10 at 02:18 PM.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  20. #20
    Look KG386i
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    2004 Look KG386i
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tspek View Post
    You do realize that whomever puts together this resource is going to have to maintain it. I don't get the sense that you have the dedication to do that.
    I'm not sure why you would get that sense, as I'm obviously passionate about the issue, but thanks for the vote of confidence. The typical iPhone developer mantra is to build the app for yourself, because usually, it fills a need others have as well.

    That said, I probably won't release it on the App Store unless people are clamoring for it. By the general reception in this thread, I don't think I'll be holding my breath

  21. #21
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerMike;10539263[url
    http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/goshkdv0uhudnj8ldofp00auec@group.calendar.google.com/public/basic[/url]
    I should mention that I'm only doing MD, PA, DE, VA, WV, and DC events, road, track, cyclocross and MTB.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  22. #22
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
    I must not do popular races since I've never run into a closed field problem
    I imagine for you it's similar to here, where the upper category races rarely fill up. In the 3s our field limits are usually 100 or more, but registrations are typically around 60. The 5s races always fill up quickly and are usually sold out in pre-reg, and for popular races the 4s can fill up quickly too. There is a big stage race in San Dimas this weekend, and the 4s were filled up like a month ago. The 3s got close but were a few short before reg closed. The P/1 race actually filled up early because of a bunch of pro teams with full squads, but the 2s had plenty of openings.

  23. #23
    I eat carbide. Psimet2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    My Bikes
    Lots. Current sponsors - Giant and Specialized
    Posts
    19,290
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    I imagine for you it's similar to here, where the upper category races rarely fill up. In the 3s our field limits are usually 100 or more, but registrations are typically around 60. The 5s races always fill up quickly and are usually sold out in pre-reg, and for popular races the 4s can fill up quickly too. There is a big stage race in San Dimas this weekend, and the 4s were filled up like a month ago. The 3s got close but were a few short before reg closed. The P/1 race actually filled up early because of a bunch of pro teams with full squads, but the 2s had plenty of openings.
    It's a mixed bag here. We have a big road race that fills in the P/1/2 in pre-reg. That same race the 5's, 4's and occasionally 3's will fill as well. Last year a couple of our 1's went down assuming they would register like always - at the race. Being that they have been 1/2's for ages and are still vastly "unaware" of this "internet thing" outside of their porn needs they were quite surprised to find out when they showed up the night before that is was filled.

    Of course they just expanded the field size. Let's face it - they're P/1/2 and it's a long ass road race.

  24. #24
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,299
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple notes:

    1. I know the BikeReg folks as much as I know, say, botto. I communicate with them regularly at certain points, phone or email, and they're pretty much the best customer service type folks you could ever want. I think I know what they look like. But I'm not buddies with them.

    I've never dealt with time-sensitive registration on BikeReg so I can't comment on that. I have sniped on eBay and on an internal corporate website. I'm not sure if you could do the same thing on Bike Reg (book mark page, log in, go there, keep window open while doing other things, click "submit" when your alarm goes off). That's what developers are for right? Do research, make apps.

    A data dump wouldn't be very useful unless it was regular (every day for example). It's like a data dump of licensed riders - you'd need to grab data regularly to keep the information relevant. And I don't know them that well, nor would I want to bug them to get that kind of info.

    2. "Confirmed Rider" is a promoter option. The promoter can choose to display or not. We didn't for a long time because the list wouldn't reflect series registration, nor folks registered on a separate website (which we have since stopped using). Now we use it because we only have one electronic registration service, the best one available to us.

    3. Good point on Cat 3s. Some get full - the old Harlem, for example, with, I think, a 200 or 250 rider field limit. I remember being about 20th on the waiting list and then realizing, "waitaminute, I don't want to race that course with that many guys". So I left.

    cdr

  25. #25
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come race in TX where the race is to see who can be last to sign up....most races here don't even get any registrants until a week out and usually fill up about two days out...it must be nerve racking for the promoters...BTW I'd buy that iPhone app once you've built it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •