Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,428
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First race today...

    Did my first ever mass-start road race...Now that was an experience...a fun experience!

    I was racing in the Good Friday Road Race in Hamilton, Ontario. I think there was close to 200 guys in my start wave (Master3, Senior4). The roll out was calm and then the pace picked up. Within a km or so we had our first crash, wheels clipped, guy went over the bars and did some nasty damage. He's in hospital in critical condition.

    I followed my team directors instructions...Sit at the back at the start and watch for the crashes and avoid them...We both knew that I had no business up front anyway.

    Once we got past the crashes the pace picked up and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the winter training and 2 week Georgia trip has paid dividends. The small climbs were much easier then last year and I was actually enjoying them.

    I didn't do much in the race, as I expected, but I did my share of pulling in the little breaks that developed behind the main field. I tried attacking on the hills, but quickly realized that this was a futile game since there was no real place for me to go.

    It's all a learning game and I have a lot to learn and still lots of training to do before I can consider myself in the same league as the guys that were in the top half of the group.

    In the end I had fun and that's what it's all about...

    Our team was pretty successful with a win, a second place and third place in various categories...

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    walnut creek, ca
    My Bikes
    10' Cannondale Caad 9.5
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool!! Can't wait to get my first race in sometime in the next month or so!!

  3. #3
    tallpole markieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    P1 Madone 6.9
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there too (see sig for bike, you might recognize)

    The first crash happened just next to me, about 2-3 guys across. Braking (leading into the first corner??) (which was a very tight corner) led to a bunching in the field and lots of locked up tires and so on and so forth. I managed to come out clear on the right side of the road (almost in the ditch mind you).

    The first lap was full of sketchbaggyness...to say the least. Way to many crashes from riders behind plowing into the riders in front of them.... Lots of crossed wheels and no one holding their line through corners or in the wind.

    There was one more serious accident with the rider completely unconscious looking up at the sky, sprawled out and dreaming of better days. That was at the bottom of a long and fast descent. I am pretty sure I heard one of the race officials say something about a stem breaking on that one.

    The race calmed down after the first lap.

    I ended up finishing in the back of the chase pack.
    The lead group has 8 mins on us by the end.

    ****ty races like this make me want to stay away from racing.

  4. #4
    vjp
    vjp is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 riders in one wave? That sounds dangerous and irresponsible, what were the organizers thinking?

    vjp

  5. #5
    Senior Member changes2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    M'boro, TN
    My Bikes
    Campified Caad 10
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markieta View Post
    I was there too (see sig for bike, you might recognize)

    The first crash happened just next to me, about 2-3 guys across. Braking (leading into the first corner??) (which was a very tight corner) led to a bunching in the field and lots of locked up tires and so on and so forth. I managed to come out clear on the right side of the road (almost in the ditch mind you).

    The first lap was full of sketchbaggyness...to say the least. Way to many crashes from riders behind plowing into the riders in front of them.... Lots of crossed wheels and no one holding their line through corners or in the wind.

    There was one more serious accident with the rider completely unconscious looking up at the sky, sprawled out and dreaming of better days. That was at the bottom of a long and fast descent. I am pretty sure I heard one of the race officials say something about a stem breaking on that one.

    The race calmed down after the first lap.

    I ended up finishing in the back of the chase pack.
    The lead group has 8 mins on us by the end.

    ****ty races like this make me want to stay away from racing.
    Your bike looks BA!

  6. #6
    tallpole markieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    P1 Madone 6.9
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vjp View Post
    200 riders in one wave? That sounds dangerous and irresponsible, what were the organizers thinking?

    vjp
    I agree! We will see what comes out of it. I know there was a lot of protest, post race, about the field size.

    Looked at the results and it seems I didn't do too too bad for getting dropped out of the lead group after an idiotic crash that sent riders mad sprinting to break away....

    32/90 in S4
    87/200 in Wave 1

    Quote Originally Posted by changes2008 View Post
    Your bike looks BA!
    THANKS!

    Would of liked to do better.
    Theres always next weekend!
    Last edited by markieta; 04-03-10 at 05:15 PM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    walnut creek, ca
    My Bikes
    10' Cannondale Caad 9.5
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vjp View Post
    200 riders in one wave? That sounds dangerous and irresponsible, what were the organizers thinking?

    vjp
    Agree!

  8. #8
    meow bostongarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hint: check out my BF name
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5
    Posts
    5,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats

  9. #9
    Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care fauxto nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,892
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job dood! Get your ass out of the back of the pack asap though, get that bike handling legit so you can stay safe and fast.

  10. #10
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,428
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up finishing 76th out of 100+ in my category...9 minutes and change shy of the lead group...

    Next race will be a bit more to my liking. I'm a lightweight and there's more sustained climbing on that one. I should be able to make more ground on the big guys...

    That's the problem here in Ontario, it's all about the sprints and the breaks...When you weigh 135lbs and are built like Pantani it makes it a bit tougher...

  11. #11
    tallpole markieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    P1 Madone 6.9
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
    I ended up finishing 76th out of 100+ in my category...9 minutes and change shy of the lead group...

    Next race will be a bit more to my liking. I'm a lightweight and there's more sustained climbing on that one. I should be able to make more ground on the big guys...

    That's the problem here in Ontario, it's all about the sprints and the breaks...When you weigh 135lbs and are built like Pantani it makes it a bit tougher...
    Hey! I'm 140 lbs and love hills as well.
    I could see us working together at the niagara classic RR

  12. #12
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why USAC doesn't allow fields of more than 50 for cat 5s. Or 75 if mixed with other categories. I guess Canada does things differently.

  13. #13
    tallpole markieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    P1 Madone 6.9
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    This is why USAC doesn't allow fields of more than 50 for cat 5s. Or 75 if mixed with other categories. I guess Canada does things differently.
    I'm moving across the border.

  14. #14
    Senior Member graphs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200 riders seems pretty insane to me. Glad the race was still fun for you, rbart.

    Markieta, do you ride with team in town here?

  15. #15
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,349
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by umd View Post
    This is why USAC doesn't allow fields of more than 50 for cat 5s. Or 75 if mixed with other categories. I guess Canada does things differently.
    The first Cat 5 RR of the season here in WSBA had about 90 people, on a tiny one-lane road. There were some nasty crashes and they started splitting up the 5's fields after that. (not sure why it was so big in the first place, certainly they knew the rules?)

    Then again I bet there would have been crashes with just 50 5's.. and we lost about 40 people in the first lap anyway. Good times.
    cat 1.

    blog

  16. #16
    tallpole markieta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    P1 Madone 6.9
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graphs View Post
    200 riders seems pretty insane to me. Glad the race was still fun for you, rbart.

    Markieta, do you ride with team in town here?
    I would be if I wasn't tied up during the week when most groups have their team/club rides.

    Independent for now.

    And yourself? I assume you're looking for a club?

  17. #17
    Senior Member tallmantim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    910
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - I've done 5 races so far, but the field for each grade (A to G) is 20-60 riders, with A and B grade having the most.

    No crashes at all! However, this is in vets, so perhaps age based wisdom and a smaller field size help?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •