Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   The 41 refugee thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/668632-41-refugee-thread.html)

Grumpy McTrumpy 08-07-10 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umd (Post 11248757)
I don't think this thread had anything to do with it. One poster encouraged another annoying poster from the Addiction thread to come into the Twitter thread and make waves. He was quickly booted out and then several of us argued about it in the Addiction thread. As far as I know, that's all there was.

seems like a major overreaction then

El Diablo Rojo 08-07-10 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umd (Post 11248757)
I don't think this thread had anything to do with it. One poster encouraged another annoying poster from the Addiction thread to come into the Twitter thread and make waves. He was quickly booted out and then several of us argued about it in the Addiction thread. As far as I know, that's all there was.

No this thread has thus far remained civil.

Why even argue about it? I really don't get why you and few others here bother with the "Others". You aren't going to change their minds, you aren't going to win so what's the point?

Grumpy McTrumpy 08-07-10 08:29 AM

yeah I know this thread is a good one. That was the first point that I made.

The only thing I have against it is that (perhaps only due to the title) it reinforces the "41 vs 33" myth.

El Diablo Rojo 08-07-10 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy (Post 11248772)
seems like a major overreaction then

Don't believe it's one thing but the accumulation of many. There are at least 3 mods I could name that are way too overly sensitive to have mod powers. This, combined with the overly sensitive nature of the 41 (proven by the "they don't wave at me" "roadies are arrogant snobs' threads) I'm sure the constant whining that some adult male had his feelings hurt has finally reached a point where Tom has just had enough. I don't blame him, I would have shut this place (BF) down months ago.

Grumpy McTrumpy 08-07-10 08:34 AM

if I were the boss...

http://www.myrye.com/my_weblog/image...food_fight.jpg

Bob Dopolina 08-07-10 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umd (Post 11248757)
I don't think this thread had anything to do with it. One poster encouraged another annoying poster from the Addiction thread to come into the Twitter thread and make waves. He was quickly booted out and then several of us argued about it in the Addiction thread. As far as I know, that's all there was.

My spidey senses have kept me out of that "Addiction" thread.

Good to know they are still keen.


But we digress.

El Diablo Rojo 08-07-10 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina (Post 11248823)
My spidey senses have kept me out of that "Addiction" thread.

Good to know they are still keen.

You and me both brotha. My 41 breaking point came when I had to spend over a page defending my saddle/bar drop to the self proclaimed fit expert in the 41 (he called me a liar). The original thread question got so derailed that I just gave up and haven't really been back since...there have been several threads that I could have lent first hand experience too but I really don't see the point in engaging in a discussion that is 90% wrong and the 10% that isn't gets lost in the 'argument'.

DScott 08-07-10 08:44 AM

I frequent both forums. The 41 is for self-entertainment mostly these days, and to occasionally exercise my need to *****-slap the morans. But here, it's read-only out of respect.

IMO, there was more than one over there egging on the useless idiot: several that would be no surprise, and perhaps one that would. It appears to me that some of the cross-forum conflicts are old beefs carried over, and some are just self-indulgent versions of "lets you and him fight".

Regardless, I think the mods have done the right thing by reacting quickly. Back to lurking...

Cheers!

hammy56 08-07-10 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DScott (Post 11248857)
I frequent both forums. The 41 is for self-entertainment mostly these days, and to occasionally exercise my need to *****-slap the morans. But here, it's read-only out of respect.

IMO, there was more than one over there egging on the useless idiot: several that would be no surprise, and perhaps one that would. It appears to me that some of the cross-forum conflicts are old beefs carried over, and some are just self-indulgent versions of "lets you and him fight".

Regardless, I think the mods have done the right thing by reacting quickly. Back to lurking...

Cheers!

this is part of the problem.

El Diablo Rojo 08-07-10 08:55 AM

This thread should be renamed. Something along the lines of "The Non-Racer Questions Thread"

gsteinb 08-07-10 09:08 AM

+1 edr

It goes both ways guys. It isn't like the complainers don't have a point. There is simply no need for any of it. Don't like something click out of it. If it's over a line then report it. But the ceaseless back and forth simply harshes on everyone's enjoyment of the forum.

hammy56 08-07-10 09:16 AM

I race my bike, and post somewhat frequently in the 33. Because thats where my interest lies...
This issue has been building for a while...no surprise. Lets not pretend there isnt particular 33ers who like to argue, and/or brow-beat people in the 41 who may be less experienced or knowledgeable...I brought this up a few weeks back in the twitter thread, we all know how "varied" the discussions can be over there, but its come to be commonplace to come back to this side and complain about it. Pretty stupid really.

roadiejorge 08-07-10 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo (Post 11248891)
This thread should be renamed. Something along the lines of "The Non-Racer Questions Thread"


Problem solved. If this thread remains as civil and informative as it has been then it will be a great option for those who have legitimate questions and are interested in different opinions without the thread devolving into nonsense, this is something the 41 lacks which is why I rarely ask anything there.

Creakyknees 08-07-10 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggus (Post 11243250)
My ass hurts. We're going on five years. Specifically the inner thigh where the nerves and vessels start heading down the leg. Oh yeah, and when I go to the poor man aerobars position (or whatever it's called) I last about 1 minute before everything is completely numb. I know no one can help me with this...I just want to share.

Really, has anyone used the MTB saddle - Phenom, to train and race with, on the road? I switched to the Romin (from the Toupe) about 6 months ago. Its turning out to be another fail. Toupe is the closest to no pain I've ridden, till it starts to sag. I'm hoping the Phenom, which is similar shape, is a little more sturdy and will stay solid without the bend that drives me to the brink.

- signed, tired of buying saddles.

any opinons refugees?

I have a similar problem; have not been able to get comfy on the saddle this year. No matter how many tiny fwd/aft adjustments I make.

Then I realized, it's not just about the relationship to the pedal / BB. The hips and the entire power deliver chain are interconnected, so for example if I'm out of whack in my psoas, that affects my hammy tightness.

I need to get back into yoga classes.

Also, I'm a fan of the now discontinued E3 saddle. Anybody have any laying around they don't need?

BillyD 08-07-10 10:19 AM

I'm sorry if Tom's sticky was not clear. Apparently some of you are so busy doing your thing - staying above the fray - that you didn't notice (or got accustomed to) all of the sniping and pot shots that have been going on all summer between the 41 and the 33. Well that's a good thing . . . staying above the fray, that is. The sniping is not.

For examples, if you wish not to look in the 41 then just look in the 33's Twitter thread. Virtually every day one or more individuals has to speak up about how "stupid" the 41 is. Routinely. Every day. And it breeds resentment and anger and feuds . . . and it has to stop. In BOTH directions.

It doesn't matter who started it. It's gotten out of hand after simmering all summer and it has to stop. It's a bad image for the forums in general, it's harassing, it's trolling, and it's high maintenance. Enough with all this. It's unnecessary. If you just cannot ignore a "stupid" post without speaking out on it then you may find yourself in trouble. Infractions will be issued for violations. You can THINK derisively about anyone and anything you want, but the verbal bashing of other people and other groups will no longer be tolerated.

Sorry I had to be the heavy, just trying to answer some questions.

This thread, per se, is not the problem, although a name change wouldn't hurt. There's no need to close it.

Walter 08-07-10 10:37 AM

I thought the fire was out in the Addiction thread. Hopefully, I'm right. That thread in and of itself is fine. The silliness with one young poster is over, though nothing stays truly over.

A name change might be a fine idea. I know some of you have already brought it up and seconded it, so to speak. If the idea hs legs post here or PM me. Changing the title is a small matter.

Bob Dopolina 08-07-10 10:46 AM

Why the hell are we talking about some stupid number feud? The more posts we have about it here the more this thread will become a magnet for the very thing it has avoided thus far!

Let's drop it and return to our regular scheduled programming.

johnybutts 08-07-10 10:59 AM

Toupe saddles - life expectancy?

I have one I've used for almost 2 years now. I can no longer get comfortable, is the saddle just worn out, or do I need new chammy / fit?

Velo Gator 08-07-10 11:14 AM

I always get a headache after a long ride. Why is this?

BigSean 08-07-10 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnybutts (Post 11249351)
Toupe saddles - life expectancy?

I have one I've used for almost 2 years now. I can no longer get comfortable, is the saddle just worn out, or do I need new chammy / fit?

Most likely worn out. I have the same issue with mine. It seems to be very flexable now and it just bruises my sit bones.

botto 08-07-10 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 11249190)
I'm sorry if Tom's sticky was not clear. Apparently some of you are so busy doing your thing - staying above the fray - that you didn't notice (or got accustomed to) all of the sniping and pot shots that have been going on all summer between the 41 and the 33. Well that's a good thing . . . staying above the fray, that is. The sniping is not.

For examples, if you wish not to look in the 41 then just look in the 33's Twitter thread. Virtually every day one or more individuals has to speak up about how "stupid" the 41 is. Routinely. Every day. And it breeds resentment and anger and feuds . . . and it has to stop. In BOTH directions.

It doesn't matter who started it. It's gotten out of hand after simmering all summer and it has to stop. It's a bad image for the forums in general, it's harassing, it's trolling, and it's high maintenance. Enough with all this. It's unnecessary. If you just cannot ignore a "stupid" post without speaking out on it then you may find yourself in trouble. Infractions will be issued for violations. You can THINK derisively about anyone and anything you want, but the verbal bashing of other people and other groups will no longer be tolerated.

Sorry I had to be the heavy, just trying to answer some questions.

This thread, per se, is not the problem, although a name change wouldn't hurt. There's no need to close it.

lighten up, francis.

Flatballer 08-07-10 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijen0311 (Post 11249410)
I always get a headache after a long ride. Why is this?

dehydrated most likely. Are you just drinking water, or do you have some electrolytes?

When I have a headache after a ride I'll eat a pickle (I do this anyway...) and take an endurolyte pill and I'm good to go.

Velo Gator 08-07-10 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatballer (Post 11249430)
dehydrated most likely. Are you just drinking water, or do you have some electrolytes?

When I have a headache after a ride I'll eat a pickle (I do this anyway...) and take an endurolyte pill and I'm good to go.

I eat a clif bar before, bottle of water with one scoop of G2 powder an hour, and a Gu packet. I had always thought it was the heat, but I got out early today and still have a brutal headache.

kensuf 08-07-10 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijen0311 (Post 11249410)
I always get a headache after a long ride. Why is this?

possibly dehydration. drink more. add some endurolytes to your bottles too, the heat has been killer the last three months and you could be just suffering the effects. I use the hammer enduralytes, I break open one cap per bottle and mix it in.

edited to add: saw your follow-up, how long was your ride? even though it's been "cooler" in the mornings, the humidity has been so fecking high (at least here a whopping 70 miles west of you) that I'm going through ~2 bottles in 90 minutes right now.

Velo Gator 08-07-10 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensuf (Post 11249456)
possibly dehydration. drink more. add some endurolytes to your bottles too, the heat has been killer the last three months and you could be just suffering the effects. I use the hammer enduralytes, I break open one cap per bottle and mix it in.

edited to add: saw your follow-up, how long was your ride? even though it's been "cooler" in the mornings, the humidity has been so fecking high (at least here a whopping 70 miles west of you) that I'm going through ~2 bottles in 90 minutes right now.

I only rode 28 miles, at a steady pace. I was out for about 1:45 total, with stops and all. I don't add as much G2 powder as the tub suggests, but maybe I'll start mixing it with a higher concentration.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 AM.