Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   The 41 refugee thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/668632-41-refugee-thread.html)

kensuf 08-07-10 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijen0311 (Post 11249474)
I only rode 28 miles, at a steady pace. I was out for about 1:45 total, with stops and all. I don't add as much G2 powder as the tub suggests, but maybe I'll start mixing it with a higher concentration.

For 1:45, you should have probably gone through 2 bottles. I normally use the "specialized big mouth" 24 ounce bottles, they're $3 a piece from hammer (well $2.75).

http://www.hammernutrition.com/image...etail/hwbl.jpg

link: http://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...navcat=bottles

and you'll want to take some of these:

http://www.hammernutrition.com/image.../detail/el.jpg

http://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-energy-drinks

I'm really hoping the heat breaks soon.

kensuf 08-07-10 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnybutts (Post 11249351)
Toupe saddles - life expectancy?

I have one I've used for almost 2 years now. I can no longer get comfortable, is the saddle just worn out, or do I need new chammy / fit?

I love my toupe's. I've never worn one out, at least not that I've noticed. But I've broken two (one broke at the rails, one broke in a crash).

How heavy are you, how many hours a year are you riding?

Velo Gator 08-07-10 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensuf (Post 11249496)

I'm really hoping the heat breaks soon.

Thanks! There's a Hammer store here, I'll swing by and pick some up. I love getting out to ride but hate being stuck at home with a killer headache for the rest of the day.

Ditto on the heat. It's brutal.

Hida Yanra 08-07-10 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creakyknees (Post 11249084)
Also, I'm a fan of the now discontinued E3 saddle. Anybody have any laying around they don't need?

this - I like them a lot, and they were super cheap, but they are getting hard to find recently.

KiddSisko 08-07-10 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijen0311 (Post 11249410)
I always get a headache after a long ride. Why is this?

Always? Every time? That would be most disheartening. Do you get headaches if you do any other thing outside for over an hour? Just being in the sun and heat? Is your outdoorsy lifestyle new to you? Allergies?

The other issue that people don't often want to talk about is caffeine. As wonderful as it is, it has a dark side, which is that it's addictive. If you don't feed the need, you get a headache. Some are more prone and sensitive to it than others. For years I was a happy caffeine consumer, then something changed and the headaches were increasingly annoying and the demand for caffeine increased. I tried to avoid the obvious, but ultimately I had to cut it all out. The result? No more headaches.

hairnet 08-07-10 12:10 PM

With KissSisko's comment I'm curious how some of the higher level racers feel about coffee and their training.

hammy56 08-07-10 12:15 PM

Im real happy with Heed in my bottles...

And my new selle smp saddle is ftw.

KiddSisko 08-07-10 12:36 PM

I honestly thought the 41 v 33 was a gag, a ruse, a wink wink joke. Perhaps most felt the same way, but it only takes one or a few to ignite a firestorm. That's understandable given that we're dealing with words, and the grin behind the words are unseen unless you add a winky.

If this thread is to be renamed, it should reflect the subject, which is sincere questions and answers above what you may find elsewhere. The idea is a specific question, followed by specific answers. No trolling and posturing and what all. Yesterday I would have suggested The 33 Help Desk. Of course, having a general Q&A thread in a racing forum doesn't make sense, while it would make sense in the road forum. If there was a thread like this in the road forum, it would no doubt have to be maintained, or policed. The problem with the road forum oftentimes is there's a lot of opinion tossed around as if fact, plus misinformation (some deliberate), or irrelevant information. In general, I always thought that was just the nature of a public BB, where (hopefully) the cream information seems to rise to the top.

In contrast, the racing forum attracts a fair number of people who have successfully filtered out the noise and misinformation, and most basic road bike issues have long been figured out. So what's left is the heart of cycling, the joys and challenges (faster, further, higher). That's the stuff I want to read and learn about, and then share in kind. If that's perceived as elitist, then that has more to do with the human issues of envy, self esteem and insecurity, which other than mocking and making fun of as an obvious (I thought it was obvious) gag or ruse, isn't likely to be resolved on a bike forum.

Mods, if you feel no more needs to be said about this and the line has been drawn, I'll accept that and zip it.

KiddSisko 08-07-10 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 11249604)
With KissSisko's comment I'm curious how some of the higher level racers feel about coffee and their training.

Gene Simmons approves your misspelling of my name.

kensuf 08-07-10 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammy56 (Post 11249620)
Im real happy with Heed in my bottles...

And my new selle smp saddle is ftw.

heed gives me bad gas. seriously.

I vary. Gu Brew, clif sports drink, and dedicated athlete's stuff is what I tend to rotate through if it's going to be a "hard" day. I like hammer's perpetuim for those long slow days. I pick and choose based on what I can find for cheap.

Under 90 minutes and I'm probably just doing water with endurolytes mixed in, but I'll use sports drink if it's going to be longer than that. I like to keep a bottle of water handy to water cool my engine every now and then via a splash to the head -- sports drink over the cabeza just makes a nasty sticky mess. Plus, having a bottle of water gives you an easy way to wash your eyes out.

mollusk 08-07-10 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijen0311 (Post 11249507)
Ditto on the heat. It's brutal.

It's stopped raining in Gainesville. Time to go out for a couple of hours in the air swamp.

hammy56 08-07-10 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensuf (Post 11249797)
heed gives me bad gas. seriously.

I vary. Gu Brew, clif sports drink, and dedicated athlete's stuff is what I tend to rotate through if it's going to be a "hard" day. I like hammer's perpetuim for those long slow days. I pick and choose based on what I can find for cheap.

Under 90 minutes and I'm probably just doing water with endurolytes mixed in, but I'll use sports drink if it's going to be longer than that.

just about everything gives me gas...:rolleyes:

and yeah i only use it for 2+ hrs or hard efforts, otherwise just water. It was the first thing i found that didnt bother my stomach or taste awful (orange) so ive stuck with it. And the taste is real subtle which i like.

hammy56 08-07-10 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollusk (Post 11249798)
It's stopped raining in Gainesville. Time to go out for a couple of hours in the air swamp.

What, are you afraid to get your beard wet?:p

umd 08-07-10 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijen0311 (Post 11249507)
Thanks! There's a Hammer store here,

Huh, I'd never heard of a Hammer store. That's pretty cool.

ericm979 08-07-10 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 11249604)
With KissSisko's comment I'm curious how some of the higher level racers feel about coffee and their training.

I'm no higher level racer but I have found that I am better off without caffeine. That doesn't mean I skip coffee- they make good decaf these days. Caffeine is basically poking your adrenal glands with a stick. Every day. It's not good for you, especially if you have a lot of stress in your life.

I do use a caffeinated gel late in very long rides/races. It works a lot better when you are not habituated.

It wasn't hard to kick caffeine- I just started putting some decaf beans in the grinder every morning, and increased the amount over time.

umd 08-07-10 01:55 PM

I'm ok with renaming the thread

Velo Gator 08-07-10 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiddSisko (Post 11249574)
Always? Every time? That would be most disheartening. Do you get headaches if you do any other thing outside for over an hour? Just being in the sun and heat? Is your outdoorsy lifestyle new to you? Allergies?

The other issue that people don't often want to talk about is caffeine. As wonderful as it is, it has a dark side, which is that it's addictive. If you don't feed the need, you get a headache. Some are more prone and sensitive to it than others. For years I was a happy caffeine consumer, then something changed and the headaches were increasingly annoying and the demand for caffeine increased. I tried to avoid the obvious, but ultimately I had to cut it all out. The result? No more headaches.

Every time. Edit, sorry, every time on my longer weekend rides. On my daily rides, no, but I don't do quite as much. I'm going to try the electrolyte suggestion next time and see how that goes. I don't do caffeine. I have sinus problems but those are constant... I'm used to that. This headache is pinpointed right between my eyebrows. Cycling is really the only time I'm out in the heat. I run also, but I do it when its much cooler out. I don't get the headaches then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by umd (Post 11249958)
Huh, I'd never heard of a Hammer store. That's pretty cool.

Yeah. It's attached to our Trek store. Nice to not have to pay shipping.

KiddSisko 08-07-10 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericm979 (Post 11249960)
It wasn't hard to kick caffeine- I just started putting some decaf beans in the grinder every morning, and increased the amount over time.

I tried decaf, but whatever hint of caffeine that remained was enough to kick off the headache impulse telling me to get the "real thing." I basically lived on aspirin and ibuprofen for a week to finally get rid of the headache.

I loved everything about coffee too. Sigh...

KiddSisko 08-07-10 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijen0311 (Post 11249992)
Every time. I'm going to try the electrolyte suggestion next time and see how that goes. I don't do caffeine. I have sinus problems but those are constant... I'm used to that. This headache is pinpointed right between my eyebrows. Cycling is really the only time I'm out in the heat. I run also, but I do it when its much cooler out. I don't get the headaches then.

One possible reason is your posture and form while you ride. Certain muscles might be squeezing certain nerve channels, and while they might not seem related, the back of your neck/between your shoulder blades might be the problem area. Maybe your shoulder or neck muscles may need to strengthen over time, especially if you're riding for periods of time in a more aero position. A sports doctor would probably be able to evaluate that issue. There's also a women's specific forum here on BF, so maybe you can inquire there.

Flatballer 08-07-10 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiddSisko (Post 11250030)
One possible reason is your posture and form while you ride. Certain muscles might be squeezing certain nerve channels, and while they might not seem related, the back of your neck/between your shoulder blades might be the problem area. Maybe your shoulder or neck muscles may need to strengthen over time, especially if you're riding for periods of time in a more aero position. A sports doctor would probably be able to evaluate that issue. There's also a women's specific forum here on BF, so maybe you can inquire there.

once you get the magic password and learn the secret handshake, that is.

kensuf 08-07-10 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiddSisko (Post 11250030)
One possible reason is your posture and form while you ride. Certain muscles might be squeezing certain nerve channels, and while they might not seem related, the back of your neck/between your shoulder blades might be the problem area. Maybe your shoulder or neck muscles may need to strengthen over time, especially if you're riding for periods of time in a more aero position. A sports doctor would probably be able to evaluate that issue. There's also a women's specific forum here on BF, so maybe you can inquire there.

this is a good point.

hammy56 08-07-10 02:26 PM

My team is out of a trek store, and they stock Heed...im blessed with deep discounts. :)

meh, id even ride a trek if they really wanted me to...
But theyd have to really really want me to $$.

heckler 08-07-10 02:48 PM

I would not go overboard on the G2. I always take at least one bottle of straight water. Once you go too syrupy with the gatorade it makes me more thirsty. I once did a 95+*F 30 miles RR with one bottle of G2 and one of water...never again will I mix it to full strength. I do much better with regular water and chews/gels/pills then trying to mix too much in liquid form.

CrimsonKarter21 08-07-10 02:53 PM

Guarana Shots. Amazing.
When a hammer goes to the front and lines it out into a headwing and your legs are feeling bollocks, I pop these when I get a chance and the leg pain gets numb and I feel a bit better.

This stuff has my stamp of approval.
http://www.foodbev.com/writeable/upl...pse3action.jpg

Flatballer 08-07-10 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckler (Post 11250115)
I would not go overboard on the G2. I always take at least one bottle of straight water. Once you go too syrupy with the gatorade it makes me more thirsty. I once did a 95+*F 30 miles RR with one bottle of G2 and one of water...never again will I mix it to full strength. I do much better with regular water and chews/gels/pills then trying to mix too much in liquid form.

Gatorade is supposed to make you thirsty. That's a design feature, it keeps you drinking enough.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 PM.