Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   The 41 refugee thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/668632-41-refugee-thread.html)

Racer Ex 08-04-10 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed (Post 11231106)
Do external bearing bottom brackets work on older steel frames with english threaded bottom brackets? I'm trying to build a cheap racing bike and am looking for some kind of cheap crankset + bb on ebay.

Yep.

myclem 08-04-10 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo (Post 11230239)
Those are road spd's so if you want to keep using them then feel free..advantages:

Cleat will last forever.
Bullet proof
You can use mtb shoes
easier to walk in.
Disadvantages:
Heavy
Can't adjust float

related thread regarding concerns with sprinting with mtb cleats.

ericm979 08-04-10 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregf83 (Post 11230786)

What are your thoughts on doing the ride and enjoying the closed lane but not using any of the support?

It's poaching.

The organizer have permits for X number of riders, for which they have to pay for police, road closure, insurance, etc. If more show up the permitting organization may notice and get the organizer in trouble. Its hard enough getting people to put on rides without that hassle too. Sign up or do something else that day.

jwible 08-04-10 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 11231009)
Don't compare your heart rate to others. Find your lthr and base your zones off of that.

I thought my max HR was 184 until I was trying to hold onto some faster wheels and it hit 190. Everyone is different.

mazdaspeed 08-04-10 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 11231126)
Yep.

nice!

umd 08-04-10 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaleur (Post 11230345)
Everyone wants to know, but apparently I'm the only one willing to ask: what the heck did you do to Mr. Beanz? And no playing coy. Out with it, young man!

I honestly have no idea, or have long since forgotten, what I did do get his panties in a wad. There are plenty of posters that I find annoying but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate anyone here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaleur (Post 11230345)
Oh yeah, did you check your bars after your crash? No need to repeat the snapped bar incident.

The bars were aluminumnot carbon this time. They were actually the "temporary" bars I used to replace the broken carbon ones. I figured I would wait until I had to retape them to change them out. Since my bar tape was a little shredded up and I needed to replace the RD and recable anyway, I figured this would be a good opportunity to swap in the new 3T Ergosum Pro bars that I had bought as the permanant replacement for my Ergosum Team bars.

caloso 08-04-10 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregf83 (Post 11230786)
There is an organized ride coming up from Vancouver to Whistler (Whistler GranFondo) on a scenic stretch of highway. They will be closing a lane and providing feed and aid stations along the way. The ride is full and cost was around $175.

What are your thoughts on doing the ride and enjoying the closed lane but not using any of the support? I have several friends who are planning to do this. I like the idea of a dedicated lane but have no interest in stopping at the feed stations.

My personal opinion: not cricket.

Pedaleur 08-04-10 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umd (Post 11231224)
The bars were aluminumnot carbon this time.

Got it.

OK, what I really want to ask is in reference to your video. I will state right away that I'm a bit leery, because I don't want to open up the can o' worms that messed up the other thread. But it really isn't in reference to the actual crash (about which I'll keep my opinion private -- see aforementioned can o' worms).

What I want to hear about is "sketchy" riding, a pejorative that gets thrown around a lot on these boards. I look at that video, and (up to the crash) it looks like a fairly standard town-line sprint. People picking up the pace and making some moves (hard to call any of them "attacks"). Obviously, in a race you wouldn't leave a gap in front of you like that, but the guy in green decided to take it since it was there. Fine. Some people going up the side. But nothing that strikes ME as extraordinary (no sudden line changes, real bar hooking, etc.).

You could easily put me in that video and I might do many of the same things. So, the obvious question is: if I don't see "sketchy" riding, then am I guilty myself?. In which case, can someone explain what people did that was noticeable wrong (not related to the crash per se)? Umd or anyone else is welcome to point things out, particularly noting the time in the video.

Again, NOT trying to bring up the crash debate. Or even the underlayer debate. ;-)

shovelhd 08-04-10 12:32 PM

Honest question. I am not racing this year, although I have raced extensively in the past, and am seriously thinking about it for next year. Meanwhile I am working hard at getting back into shape via solo and group rides. Is it OK to post in the Training Status thread or is it frowned upon?

Flatballer 08-04-10 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 11231434)
Honest question. I am not racing this year, although I have raced extensively in the past, and am seriously thinking about it for next year. Meanwhile I am working hard at getting back into shape via solo and group rides. Is it OK to post in the Training Status thread or is it frowned upon?

you're an ex Cat2. You can pretty much post wherever you please in here.

Velo Vol 08-04-10 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbUSA (Post 11230695)
Big fan of the 33 here [in a lurking capacity only]. Thanks for letting me post.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpjS...mU/s400/hi.jpg

gregf83 08-04-10 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedaleur (Post 11231411)
You could easily put me in that video and I might do many of the same things. So, the obvious question is: if I don't see "sketchy" riding, then am I guilty myself?. In which case, can someone explain what people did that was noticeable wrong (not related to the crash per se)? Umd or anyone else is welcome to point things out, particularly noting the time in the video.

Again, NOT trying to bring up the crash debate. Or even the underlayer debate. ;-)

I think the sketchiness referred to sprinting for 20th place. You wouldn't know that, however, from viewing the video unless you were told. That and going over the yellow line.

umd 08-04-10 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregf83 (Post 11231495)
I think the sketchiness referred to sprinting for 20th place. You wouldn't know that, however, from viewing the video unless you were told. That and going over the yellow line.

Basically, yes.

In other words, I wouldn't say that anyone's bike handling in the video was sketchy from what I recall.

Edit: Also it was "sketchy" because nobody took control and really led it out properly. It's much safer when it's single file rather than all over the road.

Greg180 08-04-10 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 11231434)
Honest question. I am not racing this year, although I have raced extensively in the past, and am seriously thinking about it for next year. Meanwhile I am working hard at getting back into shape via solo and group rides. Is it OK to post in the Training Status thread or is it frowned upon?

Ditto...Where in West Mass are you located?

echappist 08-04-10 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadiejorge (Post 11230096)
Yeah I saw you mention that in another thread, I wonder if it was one of the less experienced guys because I only know a small group of them mainly the guys at the front of the pack who are racers/ex-racers. We're riding out to New Hope, PA from Newark which is about 112 miles RT or something to that effect. I'm considering joining the group because I don't want to keep latching on without being a part of it, my hesitation has been not being able to commit to going on all of their rides but one of the leaders said it wouldn't be a problem and he'd like me to join so I think I will.

very nice. well, except for the part in union county. do you have a route map?

shovelhd 08-04-10 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg180 (Post 11231521)
Ditto...Where in West Mass are you located?

Belchertown, about a mile from the Quabbin and on the race course. I rode last night with the NRM guys. I've also ridden with a group out of Performance Bike in Granby and with a small NCC group, although it was the day of the TotH so it wasn't representative.

BasicJim 08-04-10 12:55 PM

This is a complete Noob question, but I haven't been able to find a good answer. This is in regard to the tactic of covering a break.

If your riding for someone else and you cover a break, what does that do for the rider your riding for? If the break stays away, your not really helping the rider your riding for, right? I mean, you probably won't work for the break, but how does that help the one your riding for?

Another question out of curiosity, is there smack talk DURING any of the Cat races?

Thanks,

Jim

shovelhd 08-04-10 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicJim (Post 11231662)
If your riding for someone else and you cover a break, what does that do for the rider your riding for? If the break stays away, your not really helping the rider your riding for, right? I mean, you probably won't work for the break, but how does that help the one your riding for?

a) You're doing the work instead of him.
b) If you're not working in the break, then you are contributing to its failure, and bringing it back where you can work for him again.
c) If the break stays away, they should work for you, if it is truly about the team. That is, if you were really covering.
d) If the other guy manages to bridge, he has a teammate in the break. Much better odds that way.

Greg180 08-04-10 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 11231622)
Belchertown, about a mile from the Quabbin and on the race course. I rode last night with the NRM guys. I've also ridden with a group out of Performance Bike in Granby and with a small NCC group, although it was the day of the TotH so it wasn't representative.

Great. Know some of the NRM boys and I'm always at Bob's shop in Greenfield. If you were at the TOTHT this year I was running it with Peter Crowley.

Did you race masters?

timster 08-04-10 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicJim (Post 11231662)
If your riding for someone else and you cover a break, what does that do for the rider your riding for? If the break stays away, your not really helping the rider your riding for, right? I mean, you probably won't work for the break, but how does that help the one your riding for?

I believe the idea is to cover the break in such a way that you either drag the whole pack with you and bring everything back together, or drag the guy you are working for up to the break with you.

If you happen to get in a break and you're supposed to be working for another guy, I can think of at least two options. One is for you to try and slow the break down so they get caught. The other is for roles to reverse, and the guy you were working for to try and slow the pack down so you can get a W in the break. Probably best to discuss before the race what your strategy would be in this situation

shovelhd 08-04-10 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg180 (Post 11231794)
Great. Know some of the NRM boys and I'm always at Bob's shop in Greenfield. If you were at the TOTHT this year I was running it with Peter Crowley.

Did you race masters?

That's where I bought my Felt. Not racing this year. I raced Cat2 as a Senior (MBRC, Bicycle Exchange). Next year would be M50+ and/or Catwhateverleveltheydecidetoreinstateme.

MDcatV 08-04-10 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicJim (Post 11231662)
This is a complete Noob question, but I haven't been able to find a good answer. This is in regard to the tactic of covering a break.

If your riding for someone else and you cover a break, what does that do for the rider your riding for? If the break stays away, your not really helping the rider your riding for, right? I mean, you probably won't work for the break, but how does that help the one your riding for?

Another question out of curiosity, is there smack talk DURING any of the Cat races?

Thanks,

Jim

you're.

in addition to what shovelhd and timster said, by being in the break, you relieve your team mate and team from an obligation to chase/contribute to a chase. so if i'm on team B, in a break with a guy from team A and team C, teams D through whatever are not represented and SOL. they either need to chase while A,B, and C sit in, or launch bridge attempts for teams A, B, and C to follow wheels and get a "free ride" up to the breakaway.

Pedaleur 08-04-10 01:21 PM

OK, speaking of breaks...

In a recent race, a group got away with two of my teammates and two others. I hung out near the front of the peloton and tried to "cover." At one point, about 8 guys put in a big surge, and I sat on. Soon, this dwindled to three: me and two others from different teams. I sat on while they bridged up to the breakaway. That makes three from my team and four others.

Now, races here are pancake flat, and the break _always_ gets caught. We worked hard for a while (I put in a lot of work because one of my teammates is a strong finisher, unlike me), but we were caught a couple km later. One of my teammates chastised me (note: he didn't yell at me ;-), saying that three is too many and the field will chase the break down in that situation.

I tried to explain that I was sitting on a group of eight and then just continued, but he didn't really want to hear my explanation. So I ask the 33-collective: on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad were my tactics? And, what should I have done?

umd 08-04-10 01:24 PM

If you just sat on the group of 8 and didn't do any of the work to bridge up, then I don't think you really did anything wrong. But on the other hand, you could have actively disrupted the chase by screwing with their rotation. Slow to come around, weak pulls, etc.

KiddSisko 08-04-10 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDcatV (Post 11231880)
you're.

in addition to what shovelhd and timster said, by being in the break, you relieve your team mate and team from an obligation to chase/contribute to a chase. so if i'm on team B, in a break with a guy from team A and team C, teams D through whatever are not represented and SOL. they either need to chase while A,B, and C sit in, or launch bridge attempts for teams A, B, and C to follow wheels and get a "free ride" up to the breakaway.

That's a great explanation.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 AM.