Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-14, 08:57 AM   #1401
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I'm still 2-3 years off on electric. I've tested Di2 on a trainer at an expo and the shifting is amazing, but I'll pass until electric gets cleaner. Pretty soon we should have a wireless design or frames that integrate the wires and batteries into the frame. Right now it just looks a tad sloppy.
furiousferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 09:05 AM   #1402
billnuke1
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Bikes: Hundreds! No longer "Hundreds". Sold a bunch. Traded a bunch.
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a lot of old bikes. I have a fair smatttering of "newer" bikes with the breakthrough equipment. Both spectrums of value. I love to grab a handful of bikes and ride them back to back and deal with same situations being discussed here! The difference between a hot knife going through butter and chainsaw going through buttter! Friction vs indexed...trimming fd and rd! My newest,most "modern" shifter would be "barcons" on my C'dale ST600 and on a Mirella. The grandkids and honorary grandkids alway gravitate up to the newer equipment!
billnuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 10:16 AM   #1403
Inquisitor.
Senior Member
 
Inquisitor.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
So, not having shifter cables will save 8w at 25mph? I don't know much about aerodynamics, but I have a hard time believing that.


As for the rest of your question, my experience has been that I get used to whatever I have. For example, when I switched from Shimano to Sram, it took a little while, but I got used to it. Now I like Sram and don't really want to ride Shimano. I'm sure if I switched back, I'd hate it for a little while, then get used to it. Also, after years of riding Cannondales, I got an Argon. At first, I didn't really like it. Now, I don't really like going back to the Cannondale.

According to someone from Felt, the aero savings of electronic shifters is due to lack of hardware to mount mechanical shifters and cable routing.


In the end, I want whatever is going to give me the best shifting performance when it really matters (sprinting, climbing). I believe both Ultegra Di2 and SRAM 22 have some sort of automatic trim to eliminate chain rub. I'm sure you're correct that I'll get used to whichever one I go with. Should I even consider Ultegra 11 speed?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
My boss described it this way after this first race - he would make a shift, and then the bike would just be in the new gear. Lacking the feedback, however, he would generally look down after the shift to make sure it had happened - he was so used to feeling and hearing the shift, that when that feedback was lacking, he doubted that the shift had been made.
I felt the same way when I took a bike with Di2 for a test ride. I'd sometimes glance down to ensure the shift actually happened.
Inquisitor. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 10:24 AM   #1404
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht
 
ovoleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Russian Vodka
Posts: 8,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i love my di2 bike. SRAM is way behind IMO
ovoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 11:03 AM   #1405
Wesley36
Senior Member
 
Wesley36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
i love my di2 bike. SRAM is way behind IMO
Yeah, late to the party, but it looks like they are jumping in

Spotted: SRAM prototype electronic drivetrain - VeloNews.com
Wesley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 05:14 PM   #1406
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,327
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Last minute, Team Night, they have Conti tires on sale - which are the good clincers to race on, when you don't worry too much about longevity, just fast w/great grip and predictable cornering?

was it GP4000S? There are so many!
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 05:36 PM   #1407
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Yeah those are good and last a while. I usually run GP4ks on the back, and something else on the front. Currently it's Michiline Pro 4. I think they grip better, but don't last, thus only on the front.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 05:51 PM   #1408
Ygduf 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,469
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I think tire preference is like 99% imagination.

I can't ride on pro4s because they feel hard and slippery to me. the idea that you'd run one on the front for better traction just shows how different perceptions can be.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 05:59 PM   #1409
revchuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Posts: 5,739
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
Last minute, Team Night, they have Conti tires on sale - which are the good clincers to race on, when you don't worry too much about longevity, just fast w/great grip and predictable cornering?

was it GP4000S? There are so many!
Basically anything that doesn't have "Gatorskin" on the sidewall. Their new tire is the GP4000s II, so Conti is closing out their GP4000S tires. You might be able to get a good deal on the superseded version.
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:12 PM   #1410
misterwaterfall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
I'm still 2-3 years off on electric. I've tested Di2 on a trainer at an expo and the shifting is amazing, but I'll pass until electric gets cleaner. Pretty soon we should have a wireless design or frames that integrate the wires and batteries into the frame. Right now it just looks a tad sloppy.
The future is here then because most of the di2 bikes do have the wires running inside the frames and hiding the battery in the frame/seat post is an easy mod. I dont know why you wouldn't go electric given the chance
misterwaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:58 PM   #1411
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speaking of future tech...I keep thinking my next race bike will be steel.
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:35 PM   #1412
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Racing the Fayetteville Stage Race really did a number on my tires. No flats luckily but I picked out a bunch of crap when looking them over this week and found a small cut all the way through the tire (not in the sidewall). Has anyone ever had success/tried putting a tube patch on the inside of a tire...similar to a boot but more permanent? Maybe I can finally use one of the obnoxiously large patches that are always wasted in the patch kits.
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 09:07 PM   #1413
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
Racing the Fayetteville Stage Race really did a number on my tires. No flats luckily but I picked out a bunch of crap when looking them over this week and found a small cut all the way through the tire (not in the sidewall). Has anyone ever had success/tried putting a tube patch on the inside of a tire...similar to a boot but more permanent? Maybe I can finally use one of the obnoxiously large patches that are always wasted in the patch kits.
That should be fine. You might try super glue first if you can get the cut compressed to close it.

Another option (and probably the simplest): grab a rectangle of mylar (like a metallic looking potato chip bag) and use that as a boot. You can glue it to keep it from moving around between changes, but I usually just spit on it and that holds it still until I'm done with the tire. I keep one of those jalapeno chips bags folded and tucked under the rubber band holding my spare tube.

Since you live close, let me know if you want me to leave a chips bag out on my front porch and you can pick it up whenever. Yes, I have a jalapeno chips problem.
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 09:22 PM   #1414
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I'm very familiar with booting tires. Rode thousands of miles on boots when I was commuting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
You might try super glue first if you can get the cut compressed to close it.
Ah yes...I should try that first. I've got booting material if needed. Good to hear that chip "problem" persists.

And finally...
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
...I usually just spit on it and that holds it still until I'm done
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 05:29 PM   #1415
revchuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Louisiana
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Posts: 5,739
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Okay, so my main training/racing wheels are Open Pro CDs because that's what my Powertap is laced into. I've got about 12k miles on these wheels, and they're still in good shape. According to BF, those rims should've 'sploded about 8k miles ago. I've also got a set of DT Swiss RR465 rims with Ultegra 6700 hubs with about 4k miles on them. I'm thinking about swapping the rear hubs between wheelsets so I'll have the PT on the newer rims before a spoke pulls through on the OPs.

Good idea, or paranoia?
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 05:41 PM   #1416
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,527
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Paranoia. Just watch the Open Pros for cracks around the eyelets. If they're built right they can last a very long time, at least until you hit something really hard. The cost benefit of reusing the other rims doesn't work out because you're still going to need new spokes as the ERD changes.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 07:41 PM   #1417
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,864
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
+1. I plowed into a pothole on a group ride one time and trashed an OP rim. Just happened to hit right at the valve hole. Huge wobble, but I was able to ride it back into town with an open brake caliper.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 12:37 PM   #1418
Inquisitor.
Senior Member
 
Inquisitor.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new Felt AR4 should arrive on Friday. I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the mechanical Ultegra 11 speed shifters that come with it, or replace it with SRAM Red or Force 22, or Ultegra Di2 shifters and derailers. I was checking out a Cervelo at the LBS with Mechanical Ultegra 11 speed shifters, and it seemed like there was a lot of play before the mechanism engaged and actually shifted. I'm trying to get everything set before I race again on Tuesday.
Inquisitor. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 12:48 PM   #1419
misterwaterfall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor. View Post
My new Felt AR4 should arrive on Friday. I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the mechanical Ultegra 11 speed shifters that come with it, or replace it with SRAM Red or Force 22, or Ultegra Di2 shifters and derailers. I was checking out a Cervelo at the LBS with Mechanical Ultegra 11 speed shifters, and it seemed like there was a lot of play before the mechanism engaged and actually shifted. I'm trying to get everything set before I race again on Tuesday.
The only change worth doing in my opinion would be the move to electronic. Going to another mechanical group would cost you more money than it would be worth
misterwaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 02:07 PM   #1420
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,620
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor. View Post
My new Felt AR4 should arrive on Friday. I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the mechanical Ultegra 11 speed shifters that come with it, or replace it with SRAM Red or Force 22, or Ultegra Di2 shifters and derailers. I was checking out a Cervelo at the LBS with Mechanical Ultegra 11 speed shifters, and it seemed like there was a lot of play before the mechanism engaged and actually shifted. I'm trying to get everything set before I race again on Tuesday.
Stay Ultegra. Replace wear items, as they wear, with DA. Buy a quiver of aero wheels if you want to spend money. If you don't have a second identical bike then get a second identical bike as a backup or spare. You won't gain much performance per se by changing a group. However if you have a catastrophic mechanical and you can't ride for a few days while replacement parts arrive then a second bike will be priceless.

If you're doing massive miles, like 500 miles a week, then a more durable group would be worth it because in a couple months you'll be replacing everything. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around pro mileage but a friend of mine raced (low level) pro for several years in Europe and then a few more in the US. During a ride he asked me about a tire on his bike, if I thought it was still okay. I looked at it and thought, well, for me it'd last another couple months, maybe through the end of the season (it was June or late May).

I told him, oh, 500-700 miles, depending on how hard he is on the tire.
He told me he'd wait a week to replace it then.
I was like, err, 500-700 miles, thinking that for me that's a couple months.
Yeah, I'm doing 500 miles a week right now so I'll wait until Wed (or whatever day was 9-10 days away) to replace it.
Oh.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 02:38 PM   #1421
Inquisitor.
Senior Member
 
Inquisitor.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Stay Ultegra. Replace wear items, as they wear, with DA. Buy a quiver of aero wheels if you want to spend money. If you don't have a second identical bike then get a second identical bike as a backup or spare. You won't gain much performance per se by changing a group. However if you have a catastrophic mechanical and you can't ride for a few days while replacement parts arrive then a second bike will be priceless.

If you're doing massive miles, like 500 miles a week, then a more durable group would be worth it because in a couple months you'll be replacing everything. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around pro mileage but a friend of mine raced (low level) pro for several years in Europe and then a few more in the US. During a ride he asked me about a tire on his bike, if I thought it was still okay. I looked at it and thought, well, for me it'd last another couple months, maybe through the end of the season (it was June or late May).

I told him, oh, 500-700 miles, depending on how hard he is on the tire.
He told me he'd wait a week to replace it then.
I was like, err, 500-700 miles, thinking that for me that's a couple months.
Yeah, I'm doing 500 miles a week right now so I'll wait until Wed (or whatever day was 9-10 days away) to replace it.
Oh.

I typically ride about 160-200 miles a week. I guess I'll just ride it a few times and see how I like the Ultegra shifters before I replace them. I figured if I replaced the shifters/derailers before I rode them, I could sell them for more.
Inquisitor. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 05:17 PM   #1422
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,527
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
The only change worth doing in my opinion would be the move to electronic. Going to another mechanical group would cost you more money than it would be worth
+1

Be careful what you change right before a race.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 05:33 PM   #1423
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
I think tire preference is like 99% imagination.

I can't ride on pro4s because they feel hard and slippery to me. the idea that you'd run one on the front for better traction just shows how different perceptions can be.
That is true... Hmm interesting you felt like that about Pro4s. What do you usually run?
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 05:34 PM   #1424
Ygduf 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,469
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
That is true... Hmm interesting you felt like that about Pro4s. What do you usually run?
what else, contiGP4000
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 06:16 PM   #1425
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My concern with electronic is crashing. Is there a fail safe if you hit the battery pack when you go down or are you sol. I have some scraps and dings on my mechanical groupset and all is well...wonder if the same can be said for electronic. Interesting to still see guys using mechanical for Paris roubaix
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 AM.