Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-10, 10:11 AM   #326
BDS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
Until today, I'd forgotten what a kick-ass book Unix Power Tools is.
i <3 this tome.
BDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 11:33 AM   #327
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reminds me I need to get a book on PowerShell (and start riding again, applying to schools has been killing my riding time)
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 01:16 PM   #328
Blackdays
Boom.
 
Blackdays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh -> Cleveland -> San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So, anyone know anything about PIC16F84 microprocessors? And if so, any knowledge of writing a program utilizing it in MPLAB using CLRF, ADDLW, and XORLW instructions?
Blackdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 02:39 PM   #329
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was reviewing another student's code today...

He trusted user's input.
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:02 PM   #330
jwible
Draught
 
jwible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Georgia
Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed
Posts: 4,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
Was reviewing another student's code today...

He trusted user's input.
He'll be mauled by testers.
jwible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:04 PM   #331
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible View Post
He'll be mauled by testers.
Unfortunately our syllabus has nothing about security in it, and it's so out of date that I'm having to go back and hack in poorer versions of language-included features to make it meet the requirements. Only another six months of this at least, and it's a free GPA boost :/
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:20 PM   #332
Spring Water
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a question...

I'm about to build a 2 or 3TB RAID array.

I was talking to a guy I do some work for that just built a nasty little file server for the work that he does, he said something about "RAID specific" hard drives. Something about the "timing" and how "normal" hard drives can cause errors when in an array.

I've never heard of this...but found what' he's talking about.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136313

What is this nonsense? Is it nonsensical or should you spend the extra $40?
Spring Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:27 PM   #333
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RAID's been around a long time, I'd guess much longer than techs like TLER have existed. I'd think of it like ECC RAM. Not necessary, but depending on your intended use it can be worth it.

For a home server, I wouldn't bother. Spend the extra $$ on a USB enclosure and a couple of extra HDs for backup.
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:28 PM   #334
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
RAID's been around a long time, I'd guess much longer than techs like TLER have existed. I'd think of it like ECC RAM. Not necessary, but depending on your intended use it can be worth it.

For a home server, I wouldn't bother. Spend the extra $$ on a USB enclosure and a couple of extra HDs for backup.
Or go with WHS or Drobo and just slam whatever drives you want in in whatever enclosure you can find drivers for. Much simpler than mucking around with RAID
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:34 PM   #335
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
Or go with WHS or Drobo and just slam whatever drives you want in in whatever enclosure you can find drivers for. Much simpler than mucking around with RAID
eh? WHS is an OS, RAID is a storage scheme (or set of schemes), and Drobo (from what I can tell; never heard of it previously) is a HW/SW combo solution..
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:38 PM   #336
Spring Water
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
Or go with WHS or Drobo and just slam whatever drives you want in in whatever enclosure you can find drivers for. Much simpler than mucking around with RAID
Why would that be better than plugging them into a card in my computer?
Spring Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:38 PM   #337
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
eh? WHS is an OS, RAID is a storage scheme (or set of schemes), and Drobo (from what I can tell; never heard of it previously) is a HW/SW combo solution..
I'm aware of the differences between RAID and WHS/Drobo with their pseudo-RAID solutions. For a home file server, and even small office (5-10) people, the overhead of managing it, dealing with array rebuilds if a drive fails, and all that simply isn't worth it for something that should be set it and forget it.
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:41 PM   #338
Spring Water
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
I'm aware of the differences between RAID and WHS/Drobo with their pseudo-RAID solutions. For a home file server, and even small office (5-10) people, the overhead of managing it, dealing with array rebuilds if a drive fails, and all that simply isn't worth it for something that should be set it and forget it.

Except that it's $300 for the unit itself
Spring Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:43 PM   #339
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
I'm aware of the differences between RAID and WHS/Drobo with their pseudo-RAID solutions.
Ok, but I think you've missed my point. They're not mutually exclusive, i.e. there's no reason you can't run a RAID array in a WHS or Drobo server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
For a home file server, and even small office (5-10) people, the overhead of managing it, dealing with array rebuilds if a drive fails, and all that simply isn't worth it for something that should be set it and forget it.
home server, I agree unless you are looking for a performance bump. Small office, depends on the business.

Last edited by slynkie; 11-22-10 at 03:43 PM. Reason: fixed bad quote.
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:46 PM   #340
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Water View Post
Except that it's $300 for the unit itself
Good RAID cards aren't cheap either, and last I'd checked OEM copies of WHS were going for around $100.
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:51 PM   #341
Spring Water
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
Good RAID cards aren't cheap either, and last I'd checked OEM copies of WHS were going for around $100.
And fortunately I don't need to buy one.
Spring Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:52 PM   #342
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
Ok, but I think you've missed my point. They're not mutually exclusive, i.e. there's no reason you can't run a RAID array in a WHS or Drobo server.
Except they are without major hackery. The Drive Extender system that's WHS' main selling point is most similar to RAID1, but this brief gives a far better explanation than I could give off the top of my head. After having it save me from myself (at least at home) numerous times, I'm a huge WHS proponent, and the ease of use just can't be matched by RAID. If I had to squeeze every bit of performance out of my NAS, I'd definitely go with something else but for simple streaming media and backups it's a hard system to beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
home server, I agree unless you are looking for a performance bump. Small office, depends on the business.
I should have been more clear on this one. Real estate office saving a few gigabytes of pictures and documents, WHS all the way. Office of mechanical engineers with multi-gig CAD files, break out the big guns.
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:55 PM   #343
Spring Water
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
Except they are without major hackery. The Drive Extender system that's WHS' main selling point is most similar to RAID1, but this brief gives a far better explanation than I could give off the top of my head. After having it save me from myself (at least at home) numerous times, I'm a huge WHS proponent, and the ease of use just can't be matched by RAID. If I had to squeeze every bit of performance out of my NAS, I'd definitely go with something else but for simple streaming media and backups it's a hard system to beat.
I don't see the benefit.

Run a RAID or just throw a bunch of hard drives into a computer. There isn't a lot to running RAID.
Spring Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 05:57 PM   #344
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,816
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Never seen a UML class diagram in ASCII-art format before (as a comment to a method)...

Not sure I like the idea, or understand why anyone would do that..
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 06:27 PM   #345
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Never seen a UML class diagram in ASCII-art format before (as a comment to a method)...

Not sure I like the idea, or understand why anyone would do that..
too much time on their hands? or maybe they're veterans of the ANSI art days.

haha, iCE is on facebook.
__________________
SUBADWITY
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10, 06:26 AM   #346
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
too much time on their hands? or maybe they're veterans of the ANSI art days.

haha, iCE is on facebook.
I used to be pretty good friends with RaD man from ACiD back in the days when I ran a fairly large warez board (1990 timeframe). I also met several of the iCE guys at the US Robotics party at comdex one year, we nearly got kicked out of Caesar's Palace for tearing the place apart.
kensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10, 07:04 AM   #347
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
I used to be pretty good friends with RaD man from ACiD back in the days when I ran a fairly large warez board (1990 timeframe). I also met several of the iCE guys at the US Robotics party at comdex one year, we nearly got kicked out of Caesar's Palace for tearing the place apart.


my friends and i were never too clued in to the warez/ansi art/other scenes, despite the huge amounts of time we spent dialed in to BBS'. it seemed it was all we could do just to find a reliable courier for anything. ah well!
__________________
SUBADWITY
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 12:08 PM   #348
Spring Water
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gran Tourismo 5 might end up being the tipping point...
http://blog.logitech.com/2009/08/17/...for-pc-gaming/
Spring Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 08:11 PM   #349
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
Posts: 28,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any of you geeks know where I can buy one of these in the US?

umd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 08:22 PM   #350
wens
Senior Member
 
wens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 3,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd View Post
Any of you geeks know where I can buy one of these in the US?

How much will one of those run you?
wens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 PM.