Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-10, 11:23 AM   #76
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: road, track, mtb
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Just rolled thru the first "practice run" for my seminar on Monday.... 62 min which is perfect, because i'm sure in my nervousness on Monday I will speed things up and omit sections to fit it into the 45-50min window for an A.

Also I didn't look down at my notes once, which is sweet. Time to unwind on BF for 20 or 30 and go give it another run.
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 11:31 AM   #77
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
Just rolled thru the first "practice run" for my seminar on Monday.... 62 min which is perfect, because i'm sure in my nervousness on Monday I will speed things up and omit sections to fit it into the 45-50min window for an A.

Also I didn't look down at my notes once, which is sweet. Time to unwind on BF for 20 or 30 and go give it another run.
What's the seminar on?
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 11:37 AM   #78
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: road, track, mtb
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
It's my senior project/capstone course:

Title:
Conjugated organometallic polymers: A description of the synthesis and photophysical properties of organic semiconductors featuring a new cyclometalated platinum moiety.


Abstract:
The general properties and photovoltaic parameters of organic semiconductors are introduced after a brief comparison with traditional inorganic (silicon) solar cells. A new class of cyclometalated platinum polymers is introduced in which the primary chromophore is the Pt-Polymer coordination bond. Synthesis, device fabrication and compound characterization are described for two specific Pt-polymers with power conversion efficiencies approaching 1.3%.



Primary article:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cm9029038
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 12:37 PM   #79
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
It's my senior project/capstone course:

Title:
Conjugated organometallic polymers: A description of the synthesis and photophysical properties of organic semiconductors featuring a new cyclometalated platinum moiety.


Abstract:
The general properties and photovoltaic parameters of organic semiconductors are introduced after a brief comparison with traditional inorganic (silicon) solar cells. A new class of cyclometalated platinum polymers is introduced in which the primary chromophore is the Pt-Polymer coordination bond. Synthesis, device fabrication and compound characterization are described for two specific Pt-polymers with power conversion efficiencies approaching 1.3%.



Primary article:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cm9029038
Reserve me a spot
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 01:02 PM   #80
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: road, track, mtb
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Just finished round 2 of practice.... 55 min with no hesitation and deliberatly quick speaking.

Looks like I'll fit right into that 45-50 min indo when I add the game-day jitters into the equation.
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 01:23 PM   #81
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Good luck. I had to slow down and read word by word when you described what you'll be talking about.

I feel... monosyllabic.

cdr
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 01:36 PM   #82
rog
militant buddhist
 
rog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
It's my senior project/capstone course:

Title:
Conjugated organometallic polymers: A description of the synthesis and photophysical properties of organic semiconductors featuring a new cyclometalated platinum moiety.


Abstract:
The general properties and photovoltaic parameters of organic semiconductors are introduced after a brief comparison with traditional inorganic (silicon) solar cells. A new class of cyclometalated platinum polymers is introduced in which the primary chromophore is the Pt-Polymer coordination bond. Synthesis, device fabrication and compound characterization are described for two specific Pt-polymers with power conversion efficiencies approaching 1.3%.



Primary article:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cm9029038
I'm going to go dig a ditch, now.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 01:42 PM   #83
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Bikes: two wheeled ones
Posts: 10,651
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
All I can tell is he's making an organic solar material... and I'm an Electrical Engineer...
Flatballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 01:44 PM   #84
mollusk
Elite Fred
Thread Starter
 
mollusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edge City
Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
Posts: 10,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
It's my senior project/capstone course:

Title:
Conjugated organometallic polymers: A description of the synthesis and photophysical properties of organic semiconductors featuring a new cyclometalated platinum moiety.


Abstract:
The general properties and photovoltaic parameters of organic semiconductors are introduced after a brief comparison with traditional inorganic (silicon) solar cells. A new class of cyclometalated platinum polymers is introduced in which the primary chromophore is the Pt-Polymer coordination bond. Synthesis, device fabrication and compound characterization are described for two specific Pt-polymers with power conversion efficiencies approaching 1.3%.



Primary article:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cm9029038
Fuel cell applications?
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 01:46 PM   #85
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Good luck. I had to slow down and read word by word when you described what you'll be talking about.

I feel... monosyllabic.

cdr
I didn't even get that far...

I did manage to refactor a giant chunk of code on the flight from Nice, however. Some cron magic and DB tweaking and one table shouldn't be getting slammed with requests quite so often
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 02:19 PM   #86
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,579
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
I didn't even get that far...

I did manage to refactor a giant chunk of code on the flight from Nice, however. Some cron magic and DB tweaking and one table shouldn't be getting slammed with requests quite so often
Phew. I recognize "cron". I was talking with the Missus about my old life (Linux/Unix build/support) and couldn't really remember much of what I did (ended about 3 years ago). I may have to build a machine for myself so I don't get too rusty. Ubunto laptop (I want to do that anyway on an old one), Redhat "server" (on my current "backup" machine).
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 09:06 PM   #87
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: road, track, mtb
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Good luck. I had to slow down and read word by word when you described what you'll be talking about.

I feel... monosyllabic.

cdr
This is how I feel when a lot of you guys start talking in computer programming lingo.

To Clarify this (by dept. requirement) is a presentation on someone else's research. It went down at the end of last year at UC Berkeley.

Last edited by TMonk; 10-23-10 at 09:12 PM.
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 09:12 PM   #88
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: road, track, mtb
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
Fuel cell applications?
Probably not, because this is a solid state material with no charged species in solution.

Once the polymers are synthesized, there is no chemistry involved in the generation of photocurrent. There is no reaction taking place to generate electrons; it's just excitation of one species: the "plastic" semiconductor.
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 09:30 PM   #89
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
For polymer photocells to save the world we need to get away from Pt and other pricey crap. Need a Fe or Mg compound cheap enough to print; but this stuff is a good start.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 10-23-10 at 09:34 PM.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 09:37 PM   #90
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Bikes: two wheeled ones
Posts: 10,651
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
the conversion efficiency is also still quite low. Needs a lot of work there before it can compete with the likes of thin-film. Thin-film is already pretty cheap, getting cheaper all the time, has high efficiency, and can be made in all sorts of configurations, some of them very flexible and unique.
Flatballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 09:59 PM   #91
Braden1550
Senior Member
 
Braden1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes: 2004 Avanti Vivace, 2008 Opera Bernini
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GPS apps on my htc desire and turning a hardcase into a hard-mount for my bike.
Braden1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 11:35 PM   #92
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: road, track, mtb
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
For polymer photocells to save the world we need to get away from Pt and other pricey crap. Need a Fe or Mg compound cheap enough to print; but this stuff is a good start.
This is the kind of novel thinking that will really make this kind of technology ("Platinum" solar cells) a truly viable technology. Even with the Pt atom though, these solar cells are much cheaper to manufacture than traditional inog solar cells (Si, CdTe, CuGaInSe2, etc...), however the power conversion efficiencies are low (0.1-7% compared to 14-19% for Si...)

Also these polymers aren't printed, they are spin coated, which in my opinion offers little to no control and wide variability with the morphology of the active layer of the cells, which is the primary determinant in the battle for charge transport vs. relaxation.

EDIT: Ideally I will be able to contribute to this in a couple years from now when I am conducting my graduate research; literally 8-9/10 chemistry/materials graduate schools I have checked out have some sort of photovoltaic research going on. Only time will tell.
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 11:39 PM   #93
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: road, track, mtb
Posts: 8,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
the conversion efficiency is also still quite low. Needs a lot of work there before it can compete with the likes of thin-film. Thin-film is already pretty cheap, getting cheaper all the time, has high efficiency, and can be made in all sorts of configurations, some of them very flexible and unique.
These (plastic "organic") semiconductors are present in cells as thin films, are flexible and translucent. However you correctly noted that the big problem with these cells is their low efficeincy (relative to inorganic cells).
TMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 10:29 AM   #94
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hand-editing SNMP MIB files. corporate rules prevent me from using any of the nice free tools that make this so much easier.
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 07:49 PM   #95
Scummer
Genetics have failed me
 
Scummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zorneding, Germany
Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Trek Madone 5.9, Old MTB and lots of spare parts
Posts: 2,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
hand-editing SNMP MIB files. corporate rules prevent me from using any of the nice free tools that make this so much easier.
Corporate rules against free tools? You work for Mickeysoft?
__________________
Gelato aficionado.
Scummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 07:56 PM   #96
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
Corporate rules against free tools? You work for Mickeysoft?
nope. I'd imagine any U.S. corporation big enough to get sued has similar guidelines. Even those heavily involved in FOSS.
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 07:58 PM   #97
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Bikes: two wheeled ones
Posts: 10,651
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
been playing Fallout: New Vegas. Great game, but gives me headaches just like Fallout 3 did. I can't figure out what it is. It feels like motion sickness.

I've played lots of FPS games, lots of first person RPGs, 3rd person RPGs, all sorts of stuff, and never had this problem except in Fallout games. Any idea what could be causing this? I really like the game, but it's not worth getting headaches over.

I think it has to do with the refresh rate, so everything seems jittery when looking around quickly (which happens a lot in this game, lots of time spent looking around for stuff to scavenge).
Flatballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 12:08 AM   #98
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
nope. I'd imagine any U.S. corporation big enough to get sued has similar guidelines. Even those heavily involved in FOSS.
Actually, Microsoft's rules are incredibly liberal relative to its size.
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 06:44 AM   #99
slynkie
negligent.
 
slynkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Bikes: a few
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post
Actually, Microsoft's rules are incredibly liberal relative to its size.
Ok maybe I should clarify...my company has pretty decent rules around this. If you bother going through the process, you can get most tools approved for use if they're sane. What my company is looking out for, is stupid licenses that could allow the tool's copyright owner to claim some right or force some action with regard to the content it produces. e.g. a text editor that says it owns any files you create. That would be an extreme case...less extreme is the "viral" GPL quality.

I'm sure Microsoft is careful about GPL licensed software, no?
slynkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 07:52 AM   #100
Urthwhyte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Giant Defy 2
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynkie View Post
Ok maybe I should clarify...my company has pretty decent rules around this. If you bother going through the process, you can get most tools approved for use if they're sane. What my company is looking out for, is stupid licenses that could allow the tool's copyright owner to claim some right or force some action with regard to the content it produces. e.g. a text editor that says it owns any files you create. That would be an extreme case...less extreme is the "viral" GPL quality.
That's understandable and increasingly common these days

Quote:
I'm sure Microsoft is careful about GPL licensed software, no?
I don't work for them personally and can't comment extensively, but I do know engineers there that opt to use vim over VS (although I imagine that's had plenty of time to be approved, seeing as it's been around since before I was born)
Urthwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 PM.