Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best bonding agent for DIY carbon repair?

    When I crashed sunday one of my bottle cage inserts got ripped out of the frame. Whats the best agent to secure the new insert?
    JB weld?
    gorilla glue?
    2 part epoxy?

  2. #2
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be the first smart ass....JB Weld.

  3. #3
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,881
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forget the gorilla glue.

    JB weld is epoxy mixed with stuff to make it better in high temp applications (I think)

    I'd go with the two-part epoxy adhesive, maybe using a file to rough up the surfaces first.

  4. #4
    Banned. El Diablo Rojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ATX, Ex So Cal
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu
    Posts
    11,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait JB Weld was a serious choice. Dammit. JB Weld is my go to smart ass answer for all repair questions.

  5. #5
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ibdt

    (in before duct tape)

    Ive done tons of repairs on f-glass, alum, steel, bot not carbon...

  6. #6
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about fiberglass resin?

    and obviously we're talking about bonding the metal insert into the carbon...

  7. #7
    So it is LAJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    My Bikes
    81 Puch Luzerne, 90 Schwinn 684, Ridley Boreas, November Wheelhouse
    Posts
    5,285
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 part epoxy. Available at your local hardware store.

  8. #8
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    25,938
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the epoxy

  9. #9
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy56 View Post
    what about fiberglass resin?

    and obviously we're talking about bonding the metal insert into the carbon...
    There many different types of resin as well. Stay away from polyester resin, only use epoxy resin for building CF. Also be careful about mixing the two, epoxies typically do not stick well to polyester/vinylester resins.

    For repairs, look for those 2-part epoxies in the syringe tubes with bond-strength of at least 3000psi. West System has some epoxies with up to 17500psi strength.

    hammy, look at the hole in the frame carefully. Is it just the glue holding the insert in that broke? Or is the underlying CF tubing damaged as well? In an area like this, I think you want to use an adhesive that's just good enough to hold the bottle, but is weak enough so that it breaks away in a wreck and not take any tubing material with it. It may be possible to be too strong in this case and cause more damage than necessary.
    Last edited by DannoXYZ; 12-21-10 at 03:52 PM.

  10. #10
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even a competition.

    http://www.hysolpl7000.com/

  11. #11
    Elite Fred mollusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Edge City
    My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Posts
    10,589
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you buy the frame locally? If so, there may be some options.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

  12. #12
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
    There many different types of resin as well. Stay away from polyester resin, only use epoxy resin for building CF. Also be careful about mixing the two, epoxies typically do not stick well to polyester/vinylester resins.

    For repairs, look for those 2-part epoxies in the syringe tubes with bond-strength of at least 3000psi. West System has some epoxies with up to 17500psi strength.

    hammy, look at the hole in the frame carefully. Is it just the glue holding the insert in that broke? Or is the underlying CF tubing damaged as well? In an area like this, I think you want to use an adhesive that's just good enough to hold the bottle, but is weak enough so that it breaks away in a wreck and not take any tubing material with it. It may be possible to be too strong in this case and cause more damage than necessary.
    from what I can see, when the insert was pulled out, it did slight damage, just fraying the carbon slightly...and my concern really is just to secure the new insert well enough, so it doesnt come out when Im grabbing my bottle.
    Im not sure what forces are applied to down tube, but I wouldnt think it to be a concern as far as the frayed carbon getting worse...

  13. #13
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk View Post
    Did you buy the frame locally? If so, there may be some options.
    yes, and this I'll be looking into, hopefully tomorrow.

  14. #14
    Draught jwible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    N-1 where N = number needed
    Posts
    4,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    West System epoxiesfor everything glass or carbon. Lots of good info about resins in general.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •