Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63

Thread: Training Plans

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Training Plans

    He folks, I tried a search, but didn't find what I was looking for so here goes:

    I am looking for a training program to get me ready for race season (March 20th is my first race as of today). I am currently looking for a new job so hiring a coach is out of the question and buying a program is also out as I have no idea when I will have a steady income again. Does anybody know where I might be able to find a good training plan online for free? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jancouver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the sticky threads ....

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see any with links to complete training plans, perhaps you can post links to these posts that have them in them. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Draught jwible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    N-1 where N = number needed
    Posts
    4,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check trainingpeaks.com There may be a free plan on there.

  5. #5
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free is hard to come by....Plus you usually get what you pay for...Speaking from experience here...
    "On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx

  6. #6
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well and there's no reference to availability to ride, background riding, what type of race you're doing on the 20th (100 mile RR is going to be different than a 30 minute crit), etc.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,469
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 18hockey View Post
    He folks, I tried a search, but didn't find what I was looking for so here goes:

    I am looking for a training program to get me ready for race season (March 20th is my first race as of today). I am currently looking for a new job so hiring a coach is out of the question and buying a program is also out as I have no idea when I will have a steady income again. Does anybody know where I might be able to find a good training plan online for free? Thanks.
    Try this see post 12

  8. #8
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    8,008
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 18hockey View Post
    I didn't see any with links to complete training plans, perhaps you can post links to these posts that have them in them. Thanks.
    wow, the sense of entitlement is quite strong here. If you want one tailored to your needs, you'll have to pay the dough. Get a few books and read the stickies. A training plan is not a collection of workouts: it's a constantly changing thing that should take into accounts of fitness gains, goals, etc.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.amazon.com/Time-Crunched-.../dp/1934030473

    http://www.amazon.com/Cyclists-Train...4931412&sr=1-1

    Not free, but way cheaper than coaching or the trainingpeaks plans.

  10. #10
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,587
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there was a good free one out there I would have a lot more money in the bank.
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    My Bikes
    Felt F75, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
    If there was a good free one out there I would have a lot more money in the bank.
    Ahmen!!!

    If your looking for budget (the keyword here) check out the "Cyclists Training Bible". Great information in there!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich View Post
    wow, the sense of entitlement is quite strong here. If you want one tailored to your needs, you'll have to pay the dough. Get a few books and read the stickies. A training plan is not a collection of workouts: it's a constantly changing thing that should take into accounts of fitness gains, goals, etc.
    Actually there is no sense of entitlement, perhaps you should learn how to read and comprehend peoples posts before you choose to add anything.

  13. #13
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,951
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the closest thing you are going to find will be in reading a lot of the training status threads and other training related threads so you can pick up on the habits of the fast guys here.

  14. #14
    Senior Member johnybutts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    Type of horse.
    Posts
    3,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 18hockey View Post
    Actually there is no sense of entitlement, perhaps you should learn how to read and comprehend peoples posts before you choose to add anything.
    Same sh*t different strain. Ask for help and then shoot down those giving you advice.

  15. #15
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're done here.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  16. #16
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonjj View Post
    Ahmen!!!

    If your looking for budget (the keyword here) check out the "Cyclists Training Bible". Great information in there!
    +1. Get this from the library and build a plan based on the info in there. That will be as good a starting point as any.

  17. #17
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Location, location.
    Posts
    11,404
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Well and there's no reference to availability to ride, background riding, what type of race you're doing on the 20th (100 mile RR is going to be different than a 30 minute crit), etc.
    What he said.

    Huge variables.

  18. #18
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Well and there's no reference to availability to ride, background riding, what type of race you're doing on the 20th (100 mile RR is going to be different than a 30 minute crit), etc.
    Quoted for emphasis. Help us help you.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  19. #19
    recovering triathlete
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend the Eddy Merckx training plan.

    "Ride lots"

  20. #20
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Location, location.
    Posts
    11,404
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbot View Post
    I recommend the Eddy Merckx training plan.

    "Ride lots"
    Insert assorted facepalm jpg's.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnybutts- Sorry, not the same strain, the only person I "shot down" was the one who choose to ignore what I actually posted and insult me.

    kensuf- Sorry, I misunderstood why you wanted that info. Right now with early darkness, cold and a 16 month old and wife, I'd say an hour on weekdays and five on weekends. Once it stays lighter longer and I can get out on the roads more (a lot of ice and snow on our farm roads now) I can up those times. I just got back into racing last year after some time away, jumped back in as a Cat 5 and, on erratic training, did ok, some top tens, one or two times getting shot off the back and mainly top 30 pack finishes. Races are mostly crits.

  22. #22
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,951
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    Insert assorted facepalm jpg's.
    I was waiting for this.

  23. #23
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait! wait!

    ibtl

    ok continue.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,469
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 18hockey View Post
    Johnybutts- Sorry, not the same strain, the only person I "shot down" was the one who choose to ignore what I actually posted and insult me.

    kensuf- Sorry, I misunderstood why you wanted that info. Right now with early darkness, cold and a 16 month old and wife, I'd say an hour on weekdays and five on weekends. Once it stays lighter longer and I can get out on the roads more (a lot of ice and snow on our farm roads now) I can up those times. I just got back into racing last year after some time away, jumped back in as a Cat 5 and, on erratic training, did ok, some top tens, one or two times getting shot off the back and mainly top 30 pack finishes. Races are mostly crits.

    just read the post I directed you too.

    srsly guys, this is a new racer question, how many 100 mi road races would you expect the op to have on his schedule?

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MDcatV, I appreciate the link, but that post just has some workouts to do on the trainer, I am looking for something that will give me a basic plan for the whole year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •