Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-14, 03:51 PM   #1001
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk
 
save10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinboogie View Post
Cat 3 - Tour de Murrieta Grand Prix (all laps). It's extended because I included the gap between the break and the field.

[video=youtube;fmVpT55moFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmVpT55moFM[/video]
these are great. at the start did they say something about someone being an olympian? in cat 3? maybe i heard that wrong
save10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 04:03 PM   #1002
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by save10 View Post
these are great. at the start did they say something about someone being an olympian? in cat 3? maybe i heard that wrong
It was in Shot Put
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 04:19 PM   #1003
agoodale
Senior Member
 
agoodale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Murrieta, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by save10 View Post
these are great. at the start did they say something about someone being an olympian? in cat 3? maybe i heard that wrong
That would be Richard Holec. Ralph got it mixed up. He holds several Jr. BMX championships (not sure if Nationals or Worlds). He's only 16 and hasn't been racing road very long.

He joins our Saturday ride sometimes and takes some crazy strong pulls on the flats for someone that size. He won't be a 3 very long.
agoodale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 05:39 PM   #1004
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk
 
save10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by agoodale View Post
That would be Richard Holec. Ralph got it mixed up. He holds several Jr. BMX championships (not sure if Nationals or Worlds). He's only 16 and hasn't been racing road very long.

He joins our Saturday ride sometimes and takes some crazy strong pulls on the flats for someone that size. He won't be a 3 very long.
i see. the highest level BMX guys put out startling power numbers
save10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:52 PM   #1005
kleinboogie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,607
Yeah, I got the finish video and pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7472213&type=1 I'll get the video up tonight.

I only got the finish with 1 camera. I'm guessing I was tired.
[video=youtube;cHg3ge7DJ80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHg3ge7DJ80[/video]

Last edited by kleinboogie; 03-20-14 at 09:49 AM.
kleinboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 09:39 PM   #1006
HMF
SkinnyStrong
 
HMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Austin, Tejas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,169
Here's the race footage I referenced in the Race Results thread.

[video=youtube_share;bHVg96LOy6w]http://youtu.be/bHVg96LOy6w[/video]
HMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 01:33 PM   #1007
collin2985
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 68
75 riders in one small lane, this was a tight pack. Front view coming up when I'm done uploading.

[video=youtube_share;-sEMOYZ-Dbo]http://youtu.be/-sEMOYZ-Dbo[/video]
collin2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:02 PM   #1008
collin2985
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 68
front view
[video=youtube;lI8EGufdK_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI8EGufdK_M&feature=youtu.be[/video]
collin2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 07:37 AM   #1009
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMF View Post
Here's the race footage I referenced in the Race Results thread.
Nice vid and great job bridging up to the break!
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 07:33 AM   #1010
ShutUpLegs
Senior Member
 
ShutUpLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc
Posts: 308
Highlights from Salisbury RR Cat 4/5. It's my first video so hopefully I'll get better at it.

[video=youtube_share;TcxNO1rdUHM]http://youtu.be/TcxNO1rdUHM[/video]
ShutUpLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 05:30 PM   #1011
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,433
[video=youtube;Qq0ZKmxhiEw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0ZKmxhiEw[/video]
my friend says i suck at drafting
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 06:48 PM   #1012
ShutUpLegs
Senior Member
 
ShutUpLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc
Posts: 308
Were you actually on a wheel for any of that race?!? Every time you came up on a wheel you went to the side and then lost all kinds of position while staying in the wind the entire race.
ShutUpLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 07:03 PM   #1013
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,433
I think I went to teh side because there was someone there, and I was trying to reintegrate.

so.. what can I do?
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 08:23 PM   #1014
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,383
Practice. Lots of it.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 09:08 PM   #1015
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe
 
Creakyknees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
so.. what can I do?

do something totally crazy, such as, riding directly behind the rider in front of you.
Creakyknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 09:39 PM   #1016
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,433
I can get a little claustrophobic, especially with people on both sides of me
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 10:11 PM   #1017
jsutkeepspining
Senior Member
 
jsutkeepspining's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
Bikes:
Posts: 4,813
change that
jsutkeepspining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14, 11:43 PM   #1018
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Bikes: Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
Posts: 2,354
^ what he said

Anyway, didn't look like the field was big enough to have someone on both sides
aaronmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 03:36 AM   #1019
kleinboogie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,607
2014 San Dimas Road Race Pro/1 finish (crash)

What could possibly go wrong with photographers spread across the road 50m past the Pro/1 finish?

This. Gotta watch it in HD to see it all.

[video=youtube;hcqCscMwVbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcqCscMwVbM[/video]
kleinboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 04:50 AM   #1020
ShutUpLegs
Senior Member
 
ShutUpLegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc
Posts: 308
Practice, practice, then practice some more. If you think you've done enough...you haven't. Do group rides with your local club if you have one, to get used to riding with people all around you. Ask them for advice, most will be more than willing to help you out. Your "bubble" is huge and you need to work on making that smaller. If you take away anything always remember to relax! If you are tight and always worrying about crashing or someone bumping you, then you are more likely to crash and the bike becomes harder to handle. Start by riding in the back, on the last wheel. This way all you have to do is worry about the person in front of you, if anything you will save tons of energy by doing that.
ShutUpLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 08:19 AM   #1021
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
^ what he said

Anyway, didn't look like the field was big enough to have someone on both sides
I know I'm just saying. I find myself in situations in other races where I'm handlebar to handlebar with people on both sides, and it's nerve racking to do a corner with that. And I'll try to follow the wheels a little better, and try to get within 12 inches.

and I'm probably not going to start out at the back of a crit again. it's way harder to move up in a crit than a road race
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 08:46 AM   #1022
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
my friend says i suck at drafting
You're obviously super strong, like really super strong. There's no way I'd have been able to make those kinds of efforts without blowing up. That first section you saw more wind than I see in an entire hour long crit.

If your friend tells you something…

Work on sitting behind someone, even if it's just to the side. "Just to the side" is like 6 inches, not a bike width. It's not "just to the side" if someone else can sit on the wheel.

Follow some reasonably strong rider for a while, like 2-3-4- laps. When I was new I picked larger (taller and heavier) riders. They tended to be steadier, less peaky, simply because they had more mass and couldn't bounce around like a 90 lbs Junior. Sit on the wheel, focus on sitting pretty close (1-2 feet). With a steady rider you can sit for a while and not worry about getting shelled, not worry about them doing weird stuff. It becomes a pause in your race tactics, sort of like sitting on the trainer for a few laps. When you get a bit tired of sitting on the wheel then do something else.

*edit You need to look around your marker rider. Look between his knees, over his shoulder, under his arm, depending on where you are. You shouldn't focus on his rear tire, instead focus on what he's seeing. When I was young and dumb I used to tailgate so close I could see out the front car's windshield. I felt that was safer than being a car length behind and not being able to see out their windshield. That's what you need to do when drafting, see what they're seeing. This will let you get closer to your marker and still give you some reaction time to stuff ahead. When you drive you can focus on looking further ahead. Imagine a 6 inch high black stripe painted across the bottom of your windshield. What would you see if that was there? You can practice looking ahead when you're driving, like going around corners, entrance/exit ramps, etc. /*edit

I sit on the same wheel for laps at a time when the race (for me) is stagnant. If it's all strung out, if there are no gaps, then it's tactically stagnant. If there's a break then it's tactically stagnant for me (since I can't chase effectively I have to wait). Etc. Basically if you're not trying to move up, if you don't need to be at the front, then the race is tactically stagnant for you. For me most of the race is stagnant. When I'm weak it's literally all stagnant except a lap or two. When I'm strong I might be active as much as 5-10 laps of a 30 lap race. "Active" means anything from moving up to attacking to chasing to positioning for the sprint to sprinting.

From about 7:30 to about 8:30 in this clip I'm on a particular rider's wheel. Someone told me he won Masters Crit Nationals but he races as a "guest" of the host team (family? friends?), borrows a jersey, so no stripes to confirm. At any rate I followed him because I trusted his riding. I think a BF member from the SoCal area could probably tell us who he is, he races for a team from SoCal. In this clip I had a front derailleur cable go so I was stuck in my 39T so I really never pulled through, just followed. I doubt anyone knew I was stuck in my small ring and the guy I was following for that clip minute did a hard swerve to show his displeasure in me following him.

In this clip I make a point of saying that I follow wheels for a bit. There are examples that I put in. Normally I'd leave those examples out because it's boring to watch me sit on one guy's wheel but in this clip I tried to illustrate the concept that it's okay to sit on a wheel for a few laps. I follow a guy Kevin from about 5:15 to 6:15. I drop off the wheel because the two riders to my sides were actually son (left) and father (right) and I wasn't sure if the son wanted to talk to his dad. The son had made some motions, looking, etc, and I thought that he wanted to talk to his dad. I let the son in, just in case. Ends up he didn't talk to his dad, it was more that I think he wanted to make sure he had room in the corner. If the son hadn't done those things I'd have stayed on Kevin's wheel.

Another thing that's critical is being able to hear. You can hear a lot of stuff to the sides. I didn't realize this until I was super uncomfortable in the field at a race several years ago. I couldn't believe it, how nervous I was, and I thought maybe this was a sign that I had to quit racing. With a few laps to go I was getting hot - I'd over dressed - and finally managed to uncover my ears. Suddenly I felt fine in the field again. I realized that when I couldn't hear I got nervous because I had no peripheral "sense" beyond my peripheral vision. When I uncovered my ears I was fine again.

Bumping drills will really make you much better. That friend that offered the comment on drafting? Ask the friend to do some bumping drills. Just ride down the road, slowly (39x21, not spinning too hard, ride the brakes if you have to) and then practice bumping. Don't bump your bars or your hands or your wrists. Bump your forearm, elbow, triceps, shoulder. Your hand/bars need to be under your control. The other stuff can absorb the outside pushing forces from your friend. You can do this when you're warming up for a crit even, it's a really low key, really low effort thing. 15-20 minutes at a time, 3-5 times, and I bet you'll be much more comfortable with riders close to you side-to-side.

Hope this helps.

cdr
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Last edited by carpediemracing; 04-01-14 at 08:51 AM.
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 09:57 AM   #1023
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
You're obviously super strong, like really super strong. There's no way I'd have been able to make those kinds of efforts without blowing up. That first section you saw more wind than I see in an entire hour long crit.

If your friend tells you something…

Work on sitting behind someone, even if it's just to the side. "Just to the side" is like 6 inches, not a bike width. It's not "just to the side" if someone else can sit on the wheel.

Follow some reasonably strong rider for a while, like 2-3-4- laps. When I was new I picked larger (taller and heavier) riders. They tended to be steadier, less peaky, simply because they had more mass and couldn't bounce around like a 90 lbs Junior. Sit on the wheel, focus on sitting pretty close (1-2 feet). With a steady rider you can sit for a while and not worry about getting shelled, not worry about them doing weird stuff. It becomes a pause in your race tactics, sort of like sitting on the trainer for a few laps. When you get a bit tired of sitting on the wheel then do something else.

*edit You need to look around your marker rider. Look between his knees, over his shoulder, under his arm, depending on where you are. You shouldn't focus on his rear tire, instead focus on what he's seeing. When I was young and dumb I used to tailgate so close I could see out the front car's windshield. I felt that was safer than being a car length behind and not being able to see out their windshield. That's what you need to do when drafting, see what they're seeing. This will let you get closer to your marker and still give you some reaction time to stuff ahead. When you drive you can focus on looking further ahead. Imagine a 6 inch high black stripe painted across the bottom of your windshield. What would you see if that was there? You can practice looking ahead when you're driving, like going around corners, entrance/exit ramps, etc. /*edit

I sit on the same wheel for laps at a time when the race (for me) is stagnant. If it's all strung out, if there are no gaps, then it's tactically stagnant. If there's a break then it's tactically stagnant for me (since I can't chase effectively I have to wait). Etc. Basically if you're not trying to move up, if you don't need to be at the front, then the race is tactically stagnant for you. For me most of the race is stagnant. When I'm weak it's literally all stagnant except a lap or two. When I'm strong I might be active as much as 5-10 laps of a 30 lap race. "Active" means anything from moving up to attacking to chasing to positioning for the sprint to sprinting.

From about 7:30 to about 8:30 in this clip I'm on a particular rider's wheel. Someone told me he won Masters Crit Nationals but he races as a "guest" of the host team (family? friends?), borrows a jersey, so no stripes to confirm. At any rate I followed him because I trusted his riding. I think a BF member from the SoCal area could probably tell us who he is, he races for a team from SoCal. In this clip I had a front derailleur cable go so I was stuck in my 39T so I really never pulled through, just followed. I doubt anyone knew I was stuck in my small ring and the guy I was following for that clip minute did a hard swerve to show his displeasure in me following him.

In this clip I make a point of saying that I follow wheels for a bit. There are examples that I put in. Normally I'd leave those examples out because it's boring to watch me sit on one guy's wheel but in this clip I tried to illustrate the concept that it's okay to sit on a wheel for a few laps. I follow a guy Kevin from about 5:15 to 6:15. I drop off the wheel because the two riders to my sides were actually son (left) and father (right) and I wasn't sure if the son wanted to talk to his dad. The son had made some motions, looking, etc, and I thought that he wanted to talk to his dad. I let the son in, just in case. Ends up he didn't talk to his dad, it was more that I think he wanted to make sure he had room in the corner. If the son hadn't done those things I'd have stayed on Kevin's wheel.

Another thing that's critical is being able to hear. You can hear a lot of stuff to the sides. I didn't realize this until I was super uncomfortable in the field at a race several years ago. I couldn't believe it, how nervous I was, and I thought maybe this was a sign that I had to quit racing. With a few laps to go I was getting hot - I'd over dressed - and finally managed to uncover my ears. Suddenly I felt fine in the field again. I realized that when I couldn't hear I got nervous because I had no peripheral "sense" beyond my peripheral vision. When I uncovered my ears I was fine again.

Bumping drills will really make you much better. That friend that offered the comment on drafting? Ask the friend to do some bumping drills. Just ride down the road, slowly (39x21, not spinning too hard, ride the brakes if you have to) and then practice bumping. Don't bump your bars or your hands or your wrists. Bump your forearm, elbow, triceps, shoulder. Your hand/bars need to be under your control. The other stuff can absorb the outside pushing forces from your friend. You can do this when you're warming up for a crit even, it's a really low key, really low effort thing. 15-20 minutes at a time, 3-5 times, and I bet you'll be much more comfortable with riders close to you side-to-side.

Hope this helps.

cdr
much appreciated
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 10:24 AM   #1024
Ygduf 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
much appreciated

Some people are more risk-averse than others. I was/am like you. I hate being directly behind someone. I'm always 6" off to one side or another (try to make it wind-sheltered sides), but I've gotten a little better at it as I moved up categories. When I went from 4 to 3s, I HAD to change how close I rode as suddenly I was losing my wheel over and over and over. Took me a few races, but I got (nearer) there.

If you just make it one of the conscious thoughts you consider during the race, you'll do a better job. There's no secret to it, other than to do it and let it become more familiar.
__________________

twitter.com/ygduf
strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-14, 10:52 AM   #1025
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,400
You got the engine spec now its just time to get acclimated.
furiousferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 AM.