Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-11, 01:00 PM   #1
Inertianinja
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2
Posts: 2,760
TT bike benefits?

I'm just wondering - do any of you own TT bikes purely for training purposes? working different muscle groups? working on upper body stability? etc?

Occasionally i try the "invisible aerobars" position on my road bike - it's too hard on my knees because of the extreme angles to do it with any regularity.

I should clarify - I'm not asking about the differences between TT and a Road bike - i'm wondering if anyone owns a TT bike as a training tool for regular road racing.
Inertianinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 02:40 PM   #2
kindablue
Fly on the wall
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes: a few
Posts: 981
I think it may help, but only due to the practice effect. You may strengthen certain muscles by doing TT efforts on a TT bike, but I can't see why it would be significantly more beneficial than doing those efforts on a road bike. I think the differences in positioning on the two set ups would hinder any pure strength carryover. I doubt any racer who coughs up the $$ for a TT bike, uses it just for training purposes.

I like to think of Fabian for TTing. I believe that he is comfortable in that position regardless of the bike he is on. We all know its his strength, and I think he trains to compliment it. Think of last year's Paris-Roubaix. After his attack he spend quite a bit of time with his forearms parallel to the hoods, which I would like to think mimics the upper body of the TT position.

However, I may just have shat on my theory, because I believe that track racing is/will make me a better crit rider However in my defense track bike positioning is reasonably close to a crit bike set up.

And as a disclaimer I don't have a TT bike, but have been very interested in finding one. I'd like to think that I would be a decent TT rider. Anyone with other experience feel free to correct me
kindablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 02:52 PM   #3
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Only get a TT bike if you plan on training for TTs or Triathlons. Since you are riding/racing on your road bike usually, most gains you will get on the TT bike won't transfer over because the fit will be slightly different and you are training muscles that you don't use on the road bike.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 03:10 PM   #4
rbart4506 
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
Posts: 4,436
I use clip-ons on my old road bike...

I do a club TT every 2 weeks with that bike and I really think it helps with me road racing in general. It's a good 20min threshold workout and works as a good 20min FTP test.

I have that bike setup with the saddle a bit more forward then my road bike, but still at the 5cm limit...I do some UCI TT's with that bike and they check in Ontario...

For this reason I think I'm working the same basic muscles and definitely gets me use to riding faster...
__________________
"On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx
rbart4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 03:43 PM   #5
Inertianinja
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2
Posts: 2,760
Well, i can apparently get a 2-position post for my S2 that would give me TT geometry, or close to it...it's a bit of a money investment, and i don't plan on competing in any TTs in the near future....

...i was essentially wondering if it would be a good variation on normal road training.
Inertianinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 03:50 PM   #6
kindablue
Fly on the wall
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes: a few
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertianinja View Post
Well, i can apparently get a 2-position post for my S2 that would give me TT geometry, or close to it...it's a bit of a money investment, and i don't plan on competing in any TTs in the near future....

...i was essentially wondering if it would be a good variation on normal road training.
I don't think so. However, do you own rollers? I think that its a good tool to work on balance and form on those rainy days. It has certainly helped my form and positioning in groups.
kindablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 03:55 PM   #7
Inertianinja
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2
Posts: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindablue View Post
I don't think so. However, do you own rollers? I think that its a good tool to work on balance and form on those rainy days. It has certainly helped my form and positioning in groups.
I have rollers, but I really hesitate to use them for other reasons (noise, apartment building, and one of the recent "post-bike compromises" with the fiancee was that we'd get a puppy, which barks...always.)

I definitely need work on keeping my position in groups. I guess that's what Cat 5 is for
Inertianinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 04:51 PM   #8
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
I use clip-ons on my old road bike...

I do a club TT every 2 weeks with that bike and I really think it helps with me road racing in general. It's a good 20min threshold workout and works as a good 20min FTP test.

I have that bike setup with the saddle a bit more forward then my road bike, but still at the 5cm limit...I do some UCI TT's with that bike and they check in Ontario...

For this reason I think I'm working the same basic muscles and definitely gets me use to riding faster...
Not if the fit doesn't translate over.
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 07:15 PM   #9
rbart4506 
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
Posts: 4,436
Actually in my case it does...other TT's and tests that I have done using the race bike have resulted in almost identical wattage numbers...

There really isn't a huge difference between the two setups I use...The TT with clip-ons I have a saddle setback of 5.1cm (playing it safe) and a slightly higher saddle height, the race bike has a setback of 7cm...

I actually end up with a greater saddle to bar drop on the race bike, since the clip-on bars and pads sit above the bar...
__________________
"On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx

Last edited by rbart4506; 08-03-11 at 08:28 PM.
rbart4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 03:35 PM   #10
brianappleby
Senior Member?
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu
Posts: 1,975
A tt fit requires more than flipping your seatpost forward. You'll also have to mess with your stem, and possibly replace it.

The cost of a set of clip ons, a new seatpost, and a new stem isn't much compared to the cost of a TT bike, but the time required to move back & forth is quite substantial.

Still tho, if you race in position A, training in position B isn't going to make you any faster. (than training in position A would)
brianappleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 10:29 AM   #11
kleinboogie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,607
Riding my TT bike definitely works my muscles differently. I don't know all the specifics, or any for that matter, but I do know that after I take a break from TTing the first ride or two hurt like hell and I'm slow as a slow person. It comes back but when I switch back to my road bike I find that my road power suffered as well usually by about 15-20 watts. I have enormous respect for cyclists that excel at both. My guess is that my muscle memory got amnesia and I have to hook-up the synapses again. More riding required. GL
kleinboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 11:13 AM   #12
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinboogie View Post
Riding my TT bike definitely works my muscles differently. I don't know all the specifics, or any for that matter, but I do know that after I take a break from TTing the first ride or two hurt like hell and I'm slow as a slow person. It comes back but when I switch back to my road bike I find that my road power suffered as well usually by about 15-20 watts. I have enormous respect for cyclists that excel at both. My guess is that my muscle memory got amnesia and I have to hook-up the synapses again. More riding required. GL
It's good to incorporate at least 1-2 days a week on the TT bike into your training to keep from having the "shock" that comes with a new position. Recovery rides are good, as are longer (20min) interval session days. It's also not bad to do an occasional long ride on the TT rig, I'll occasionally go 2-3 hours.

To the OP's question, there's no direct benefit for your road racing to train on a TT bike, but there's great benefit to doing TT's and TT efforts. Aside from the training benefit you learn how to manage pacing over various distances, if you're paying attention you'll find things in position and effort dosing that will come in handy down the road.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 07:26 PM   #13
kleinboogie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
It's good to incorporate at least 1-2 days a week on the TT bike into your training to keep from having the "shock" that comes with a new position. Recovery rides are good, as are longer (20min) interval session days. It's also not bad to do an occasional long ride on the TT rig, I'll occasionally go 2-3 hours.
I agree with the first part but I'd really need to dedicate myself to get 2-3 hours in a TT setup. Maybe by the end of the year. Thanks!
kleinboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 AM.