Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jonesboro AR
    My Bikes
    Trek
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rider Size/Performance Research.

    Hey guys I've decided to do alot of research into rider size and how they perform at that size at the amateur level so I need some info. please. To anyone that has ever finished near the front of a crit race then please tell me your height,weight,course outline (flat,hilly,etc.), and what category crit it was. I would really appreciate it alot. Thanks.

  2. #2
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    10,912
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riders of all sizes have won all types of races.. not sure what you could gain from analyzing this.

  3. #3
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what exactly is 'near the front?'

    uh, so you want me to give my height, weight, and course outline for the some 50 races I've won and the lord knows how many that I've finished near the front in.

    yeah, ok. so when should I expect the check?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jonesboro AR
    My Bikes
    Trek
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Crits that I see are never won by guys my size (5'8 144), they seem to be dominated by slightly larger guys while us really lean guys usually have the advantage in the hills. Sadly where I live there are absolutely NO hills and all we ever have are extreme flat races. So I am curious to see if this is true all over or am I missing something. I want to know if there are any small guys competing at the front of the crits and if so is there a trend of size and build that stands out over the others.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jonesboro AR
    My Bikes
    Trek
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gstein-One race will suffice thank you. And your .02 will be delievered by paypal if that is ok.

  6. #6
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive finished near the front. Im 5-11, skinny, Im a 4, and I suck. This probably will not change.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jsutkeepspining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
    Posts
    4,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARThriller View Post
    All the Crits that I see are never won by guys my size (5'8 144), they seem to be dominated by slightly larger guys while us really lean guys usually have the advantage in the hills. Sadly where I live there are absolutely NO hills and all we ever have are extreme flat races. So I am curious to see if this is true all over or am I missing something. I want to know if there are any small guys competing at the front of the crits and if so is there a trend of size and build that stands out over the others.
    theirs a junior who wins a ton of crits where i live and he weighs sub 150 at 6 foot.
    cat 1-o-meter: wtf am i doing??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    You're not dumb. You're just less smart.

  8. #8
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,818
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARThriller View Post
    All the Crits that I see are never won by guys my size (5'8 144), they seem to be dominated by slightly larger guys while us really lean guys usually have the advantage in the hills. Sadly where I live there are absolutely NO hills and all we ever have are extreme flat races. So I am curious to see if this is true all over or am I missing something. I want to know if there are any small guys competing at the front of the crits and if so is there a trend of size and build that stands out over the others.
    you must not have watched many races.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jonesboro AR
    My Bikes
    Trek
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I am asking for Echappist. I live in a very small part of the country and I only know what is the norm for this area. Around here the bigger pedal mashers are always dominating the cat 5 4 3 crits and I was curious if this was happening elsewhere. Where I live there is no climb over 3 to 4 minutes long so being a great climber holds no advantages. So with this "velo" like scenario the bigger guys that have legs like Chris Hoy are the ones doing the most damage to the field.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jsutkeepspining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
    Posts
    4,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARThriller View Post
    That is what I am asking for Echappist. I live in a very small part of the country and I only know what is the norm for this area. Around here the bigger pedal mashers are always dominating the cat 5 4 3 crits and I was curious if this was happening elsewhere. Where I live there is no climb over 3 to 4 minutes long so being a great climber holds no advantages. So with this "velo" like scenario the bigger guys that have legs like Chris Hoy are the ones doing the most damage to the field.
    Maybe you're just not strong (as a climber or as a crit racer). Just because you're light doesn't mean you're a great climber. no offense. also 140+ isn't super small.
    cat 1-o-meter: wtf am i doing??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    You're not dumb. You're just less smart.

  11. #11
    Fast for a sloth miwoodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver-ish
    My Bikes
    Some
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen legs that resemble Hoy's in any of my races.

    Size doesn't matter as much as you think.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ultraslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    My Bikes
    73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet
    Posts
    782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
    140+ isn't super small.
    I love this sport.
    All I'm saying is ... large pigs can run faster than you think.

  13. #13
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,818
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
    Maybe you're just not strong (as a climber or as a crit racer). Just because you're light doesn't mean you're a great climber. no offense. also 140+ isn't super small.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by miwoodar View Post
    I've never seen legs that resemble Hoy's in any of my races.

    Size doesn't matter as much as you think.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ARThriller View Post
    That is what I am asking for Echappist. I live in a very small part of the country and I only know what is the norm for this area. Around here the bigger pedal mashers are always dominating the cat 5 4 3 crits and I was curious if this was happening elsewhere. Where I live there is no climb over 3 to 4 minutes long so being a great climber holds no advantages. So with this "velo" like scenario the bigger guys that have legs like Chris Hoy are the ones doing the most damage to the field.
    teammate 1: 5'10" maybe 140lbs. Has a peak wattage of 1300W, won a few sprints this year.
    teammate 2: 5'10" maybe 155lbs. No idea about watts, he does well in hilly races as well as in sprints.
    teammate 3: 5'8" maybe 140lbs. Sprint specialist. Squats a lot (i hear 800lbs), peak wattage of 1500W.
    teammate 4: 5'5" maybe 130lbs. Sprint specialist; nicknamed the pocket rocket
    teammate 5: 5'9" maybe 135lbs. Sprinted to a few Cat3/4 crit wins, on his hoods.
    me: 5'8.5", 153lbs. Best results came from either breaks or on rolling courses.

    There are many here who have done well in crits without having a killer sprint. If you are truly a great climber, and if, as you say, only the large guys win, then why keep on waiting for the sprints and not break away?

  14. #14
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I call bull**** on most of that post.

  15. #15
    Village Idiot
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bahstaaaaan
    Posts
    19,899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah 800+lb squat @ 140lbs would win the guy powerlifting events.

    Even if you're talking leg press, that's still ridiculous...
    Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.
    -Albert Camus

    Hammer Nutrition 15% discount!!!

  16. #16
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,818
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    Yeah 800+lb squat @ 140lbs would win the guy powerlifting events.

    Even if you're talking leg press, that's still ridiculous...
    opps. leg press. my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    I call bull**** on most of that post.
    okay, you win one on the squat part.
    what else are you calling BS on?

  17. #17
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    140 pound sprint specialists with pro power numbers and squats that would make lee labrada cry. Pray tell what cat are these wunderkinds.

  18. #18
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,818
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    140 pound sprint specialists with pro power numbers and squats that would make lee labrada cry. Pray tell what cat are these wunderkinds.
    recently upgraded cat 3
    recently upgraded cat 3, with a win in Pawling Cat 3/4
    cat 2,
    cat 2
    cat 3 on the road, cat 2 MTB, represented Mexico as a U17 in XC.

    Look, if you are really skeptical, i can PM you their USAC IDs. Pray tell just what the hell i stand to gain from spinning large tales on the internet?

    and once again, i apologize about the 800lbs number. It's leg press, not squats.

  19. #19
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    10,912
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARThriller View Post
    That is what I am asking for Echappist. I live in a very small part of the country and I only know what is the norm for this area. Around here the bigger pedal mashers are always dominating the cat 5 4 3 crits and I was curious if this was happening elsewhere. Where I live there is no climb over 3 to 4 minutes long so being a great climber holds no advantages. So with this "velo" like scenario the bigger guys that have legs like Chris Hoy are the ones doing the most damage to the field.
    Here's me (5'10", 152#) winning a cat 3 crit earlier this year: http://vimeo.com/24843879

    What you can't see in the vid is my attack on the backside into the 3rd corner - it wasn't my 'great sprint' that won the race, it was having team mates working for me along with getting the jump on everyone else and taking more risks than them.

    Racing is about a lot more than strength.

  20. #20
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eees ok, I'm not too interested. Third hand numbers carry enough inauthenticity by themselves.

    I'm not saying you have anything to gain, but tall tales sure do seem to abound on the interwebs.


    n
    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    recently upgraded cat 3
    recently upgraded cat 3, with a win in Pawling Cat 3/4
    cat 2,
    cat 2
    cat 3 on the road, cat 2 MTB, represented Mexico as a U17 in XC.

    Look, if you are really skeptical, i can PM you their USAC IDs. Pray tell just what the hell i stand to gain from spinning large tales on the internet?

    and once again, i apologize about the 800lbs number. It's leg press, not squats.

  21. #21
    gmt Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    11,878
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ZeCanon is 138 lbs I think, and he has won a few crits.

  22. #22
    Fast for a sloth miwoodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver-ish
    My Bikes
    Some
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few...

  23. #23
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,734
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    Yeah 800+lb squat @ 140lbs would win the guy powerlifting events.

    Even if you're talking leg press, that's still ridiculous...
    dude.. I won't tell you what I leg press, but it's more than 800#. But yeah, I'm also a lot more than 140# (pre-emptive shut-up hammy!)
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  24. #24
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  25. #25
    I need speed AzTallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Posts
    5,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, I suspect that, if you are looking at a small population, and larger guys are winning the crits, it isn't "that size wins", but "that's the size of the winners".
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •