Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help with HR Data

    Today I did a 60 minute threshold test on my trainer. I used a tt bike in the aero position. I used a new cyclocomputer so I can't verify the complete accuracy of the mph. I set the wheel circumference as recommended. However, it's the heartrate that I'm wondering about. The numbers seem very low to me.

    After a 15 minute warm up

    0-30 minutes HR= 129
    30-45 minutes HR= 136
    45-60 minutes HR= 147

    The speeds (again just for reference) the 1st 30 minutes I averaged around 29 mph. The 30-45 minute range about 30 mph and the final 15 minutes 32 mph. I finished wiht 30.26 miles in 60 minutes. My legs were fried. Judging by the HR I'm wondering if I would have been better off in a smaller gear early on? Maybe this indicates I have to improve on my muscular endurance to match my cardioresp. system. IDK, maybe it doesn't mean anything at all...lol. FWIW, I just came off a 8 week block of tri training and I feel I really built up my endurance with the added running and swimming. Now I'm trying to build my cycling back up for a late season surge. Any thoughts on interpreting the limited data from my test? Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's a world record waiting for you to break it.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  3. #3
    Draught jwible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    N-1 where N = number needed
    Posts
    4,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought is you were nowhere near your threshold. What is your HR when your pushing hard at the end of an hour run? That's closer to what you need to shoot for. And speed isn't a good metric, especially on a stationary bike. It is hard to get your HR up inside for a lot of folks, but you can do it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    I think there's a world record waiting for you to break it.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record
    yeah I knew I would take crap for posting the numbers. I wasn't going to, but I did it to show the mph increase with the changes in HR. Something is very off with my computer on the trainer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,862
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might say.
    My 10 speed Shimano sell-off is in the Classifieds-For Sale section.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I thought about the threshold. My HR is about 155-160 when running at threshold. On one mile climbs on the bike I'm around 160. Longer tempo type climbs I'm about 145-150. The thing that has me confused is my legs were cooked. When I got to the 30 minute mark I thought there's no way I'm making it to 60.

  7. #7
    i got nothing. Crash716's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali Forn NI A (SoCal)
    My Bikes
    13 BH G6 with SRAM Red
    Posts
    5,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    maybe tighten down the pressure knob on your trainer?
    14 days...

  8. #8
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,073
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might sanity check the HR reading by counting off your pulse for a minute. It sounds like you're more reasonable on the running threshold, so is that with the same HRM?

    You might just have a mental barrier to get over too. You say you were doubting yourself at 30 minutes, yet you ramped it up from there. Maybe the leg sensations are so different from running? Maybe time for a little HTFU?

    One thing speed is good for on a trainer is relative resistance. It's not quite linear, but will be close to linear in smaller ranges (like from 30-32mph). I could be way off about this, but I know RR is linear, but rotational air resistance would be quadratic. Anyway, you might try a ramp test, where you set the resistance high enough that you feel like you're at tempo around 20mph. Then ramp up 1mph every minute until you crack, and see where your HR goes. When you have a protocol, the HTFU comes easier.

  9. #9
    Member qcwtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have collected some numbers, but I would hardly call any of it useful data.

    As Crash pointed out, you need to tighten down your trainer to get some resistance.

    Next, when you do your 60 minute TT you should be at a pace that you think you can hold the entire time, maybe with a slight increase in the second half. Varying my 3 mph and 18 bpm tells me that you picked up the pace a LOT in the second half.

    All you can do with this data is be sure that your threshold heart rate is at least 129 bpm and probably above 136 bpm. It's not very useful until you can complete the test for real.

  10. #10
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotti View Post
    yeah I knew I would take crap for posting the numbers. I wasn't going to, but I did it to show the mph increase with the changes in HR. Something is very off with my computer on the trainer.
    Sorry, my reading comprehension is off a lot. I missed the "on the trainer" part of your first sentence, I just got sucked into by the numbers.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info so far. Maybe I paced too much in the beginning. It's the first time I've done this in a while. I've searched the topic and found that some people can't get anywhere near their threshold indoors. Maybe that had something to do with it.

    As for the trainer. Everything is exactly the same with the exception of aeropositioning and a new (cheap) computer. I have the knob painted so I know exactly where to start it and how many revs to make. The tire and bike are the same. On flat road (aerobike) I can maintain 24-25 mph pretty comfortably for 5 miles, then I run out of flat road. I feel like I could maintain that pace for a while. Is 5 mph more that unreasonable for an indoor trainer? Again, I'm thinking the computer is whacked, but .....is it possible that it's not? Please don't flame, I'm just asking.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rotti View Post
    As for the trainer. Everything is exactly the same with the exception of aeropositioning and a new (cheap) computer. I have the knob painted so I know exactly where to start it and how many revs to make. The tire and bike are the same. On flat road (aerobike) I can maintain 24-25 mph pretty comfortably for 5 miles, then I run out of flat road. I feel like I could maintain that pace for a while. Is 5 mph more that unreasonable for an indoor trainer? Again, I'm thinking the computer is whacked, but .....is it possible that it's not? Please don't flame, I'm just asking.
    Forget about correlating the trainer speed to outdoor speed. It is irrelevant. The more important question is whether the trainer provides steady consistent resistance. If it's a trainer with a knob applying pressure on a tire I wouldn't expect the resistance to remain constant. With a better trainer (e.g. Kurt Kinetics) there is a known relationship between trainer speed and power and it's reasonably consistent.

    Without a reasonable trainer, trying to extract any info from your HR data is hopeless as there are too many variables. If you want to check your trainer, see if you can borrow a powermeter from someone.

    If your HR is substantially lower for a 1 hr threshold type effort on the bike vs run then my guess is you need to spend more time training on the bike. Eventually they should even out.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Looking for my right leg muscles.
    My Bikes
    2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore speed on the cyclometer when you are on the trainer (I've . Trying to do a 1 hour LTHR test is painful (that is why we do estimates/approximations). Here is what I'd do (just me). Use the average HR from the last 30 minutes of the test to give yourself an initial estimate of LTHR (from the numbers above, roughly 141). Then use the test protocol described in the training and fitness section to re-evaluate your numbers. Overtime, you will find your LTHR move up as you get increasingly strong in fitness.

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...threshold-test

    Unfortunately whatever you have done with running/swimming won't likely give you any gains in cycling--you'll be fitter overall, but not necessarily faster in the cycling discipline.

    Out of curiosity, what is your weekly cycling load?
    EOL Ra Ra F
    Specialized S-Works SL2
    10 lbs and 6% to go!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apus^2 View Post
    Ignore speed on the cyclometer when you are on the trainer (I've . Trying to do a 1 hour LTHR test is painful (that is why we do estimates/approximations). Here is what I'd do (just me). Use the average HR from the last 30 minutes of the test to give yourself an initial estimate of LTHR (from the numbers above, roughly 141). Then use the test protocol described in the training and fitness section to re-evaluate your numbers. Overtime, you will find your LTHR move up as you get increasingly strong in fitness.

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...threshold-test

    Unfortunately whatever you have done with running/swimming won't likely give you any gains in cycling--you'll be fitter overall, but not necessarily faster in the cycling discipline.

    Out of curiosity, what is your weekly cycling load?
    Right now it's 14 hours. That'll change next week when I go back to school (teacher). I cut it back to around 8 when I was training for a couple tri's.

  15. #15
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple of serious thoughts..

    cooling -- do you have a fan blowing on you? if I don't, I die on the trainer very quickly and just overheat, thus not able to do any work.

    motivation -- music / tv or something else? the trainer can be mentally boring, some sort of distraction helps.

    load on the rear wheel -- what cadence are you running? if you're running 90rpms (or lower), it's quite possible you're spinning out your gears (90 rpms in the 53x12 is 31mph). there may not be enough load on that rear wheel on your trainer.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  16. #16
    i got nothing. Crash716's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali Forn NI A (SoCal)
    My Bikes
    13 BH G6 with SRAM Red
    Posts
    5,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    a couple of serious thoughts..

    cooling -- do you have a fan blowing on you? if I don't, I die on the trainer very quickly and just overheat, thus not able to do any work.

    motivation -- music / tv or something else? the trainer can be mentally boring, some sort of distraction helps.

    load on the rear wheel -- what cadence are you running? if you're running 90rpms (or lower), it's quite possible you're spinning out your gears (90 rpms in the 53x12 is 31mph). there may not be enough load on that rear wheel on your trainer.
    this...i can maintain 30mph on my trainer too if there isn't enough load on the rear tire.

    ..in real life, on flat ground..a couple of minutes...
    14 days...

  17. #17
    Senior Member Debusama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    My Bikes
    Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.
    Posts
    681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it’s hard to really dig in on a trainer to find your limits. According to the tests I had done on a trainer this winter, I thought the highest HR I could keep up for 20 minutes was 170 bpm. I guess it was wrong:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105315686
    Cat-3 Fred

  18. #18
    Roadie brian416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    1,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the numbers you gathered are useless unless you do all your training indoors. My HR at 200w indoors is quite a bit different than 200w outdoors

  19. #19
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,283
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apus^2 View Post
    Unfortunately whatever you have done with running/swimming won't likely give you any gains in cycling--you'll be fitter overall, but not necessarily faster in the cycling discipline
    I can't think of anything less true than this. An aerobically fit you will always be faster overall on the bike than an unfit you. Pizza Man was a perfect case in point...elite level runner, jumped on the bike and nearly won the overall at a local hill climb. He improved with specific bike training but he was damn fast without it.

    Rotti, you have a very nice bunch of numbers that don't indicate much. Because of the variability of HR and the issues with cooling and workload on a trainer, I'd strongly suggest doing any FTP type HR test (or power test for that matter) outdoors, preferably on a long, steady climb or on a long steady flat into a headwind. As suggested, I'd look at a 20 minute test then run the numbers off that. For HR, I'd want to see at least two tests whose results were very close; internal and external factors can move HR quite a bit.

    And if you're using this as a training baseline always use PE in conjunction with HR for the reasons above. HR tells you where you WERE, not where you ARE in effort.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Looking for my right leg muscles.
    My Bikes
    2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    I can't think of anything less true than this. An aerobically fit you will always be faster overall on the bike than an unfit you. Pizza Man was a perfect case in point...elite level runner, jumped on the bike and nearly won the overall at a local hill climb. He improved with specific bike training but he was damn fast without it.
    I was just regurgitating something I read in Joe Friel's blog:

    http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/08...ls-part-3.html

    Ok, I stand corrected. He said: "For example, triathletes generally accept the notion that training on the bike will provide some running fitness. In fact, there is some research that indicates this is probably happening. But the cross-training benefits are not very great."
    EOL Ra Ra F
    Specialized S-Works SL2
    10 lbs and 6% to go!

  21. #21
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,283
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apus^2 View Post
    Ok, I stand corrected. He said: "For example, triathletes generally accept the notion that training on the bike will provide some running fitness. In fact, there is some research that indicates this is probably happening. But the cross-training benefits are not very great."
    I'd absolutely agree when you're taking already fit, skinny, and trained folks that running more isn't going to make you a lot better on the bike, which is what Joel is talking about, in a triathlon context ("I don't like/can't ride the bike therefor I'll add extra running and this will compensate).

    Any gain in aerobic fitness (or weight loss without losing power) will produce some gain on the bike, but you're going to hit a point where you've more or less tapped that out and training the cycling specific muscles will produce a lot more gain.

    For new or less trained athletes they'll get a lot out of any aerobic training.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Looking for my right leg muscles.
    My Bikes
    2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    For new or less trained athletes they'll get a lot out of any aerobic training.
    You are right. I was assuming that were discussing an intermediate level or higher athlete.
    EOL Ra Ra F
    Specialized S-Works SL2
    10 lbs and 6% to go!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •