Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   7-Eleven team history (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/82641-7-eleven-team-history.html)

531Aussie 10-20-05 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed073
you can NEVER post enough pics of steel Merckxs

http://vmartin.bigpondhosting.com/photos/anderson.jpg



my hero!!

I used to take this mag around to shops and say: "I want those stickers, that shirt, those sunnies, those levers"......but I knew I could never afford the bike :p

ed073 10-20-05 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
http://vmartin.bigpondhosting.com/photos/anderson.jpg



my hero!!

I used to take this mag around to shops and say: "I want those stickers, that shirt, those sunnies, those levers"......but I knew I could never afford the bike :p



Ando putting the hurt on Tony Rominger.

I got Le Skippy to sign my copy of that mag. It's at home somewhere.....

531Aussie 10-20-05 10:23 PM

Yeah, I forgot that he could do that to someone like Rominger, but then again, he ain't exactly smiling. :)

After he won the Tour of Britain (correct??), Terry Hammond said that Anderson was awesome over shorter climbs (dunno what he exactly meant by "short"), but obviously not as good in the big tours

ed073 10-20-05 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Yeah, I forgot that he could do that to someone like Rominger, but then again, he ain't exactly smiling. :)

After he won the Tour of Britain (correct??), Terry Hammond said that Anderson was awesome over shorter climbs (dunno what he exactly meant by "short"), but obviously not as good in the big tours


Yep. In 1991 Phil was white hot at the start of the season......winning everything.

In 1994 (his final season) when the suspicious Gewiss-Ballan team were winning everything, he gave a great interview...

"I'm not saying the Italians are doping, but when a pasty-white fat guy goes past me at 40kmh uphill, something ain't right."

531Aussie 10-20-05 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed073
"I'm not saying the Italians are doping, but when a pasty-white fat guy goes past me at 40kmh uphill, something ain't right."

is he talking about Uncle Tony? Oh, hang on, he ain't Italian:p Gimme a clue

http://www.philanderson.com.au/images2/picofphil.jpg

ed073 10-20-05 10:36 PM

Nah....Berzin, Furlan, Argentin et al.
The 1994 trifecta at la Fleche Wallone and then 1 and 3 (Armstrong 2nd) at L-B-L a week later is very dodgy....

YMCA 10-21-05 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed073
Nah....Berzin, Furlan, Argentin et al.
The 1994 trifecta at la Fleche Wallone and then 1 and 3 (Armstrong 2nd) at L-B-L a week later is very dodgy....

The mid 90's were dominated by EPO. Sucks for those that just stuck with a pre-season of corticosteroids and as summer of amphetimines. What were those old school to do? Join an Italian team? Hire Ferrari? The field is more level now, but...

bvfrompc 10-21-05 09:29 AM

Hi, I'm late to the thread but will add a name:

Greg "Dough Boy" Demgen, in US Championships in the 70s he went on a flyer at like the 4k mark and never looked back (Think Dave Z at the Tour of Spain). He's now the Marketing guy for DeFeet. My wife worked for him for a few years at Bolle.

Olyroller 10-21-05 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laggard
I think his lovely personality didn't help things.

Your reply about Alex , In all fairness to him , he really changed into a different man once he had kids. For the better, if you meet him today you wouldn't know it's the same guy. :)

merlinextraligh 10-21-05 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveE
Davis Phinney was with the 7-11 team and rode a Serotta-built frame when he became the first American to win a stage of the Tour de France in 1986.

Greg Lemond won stage 21 (Limoge) at the 1985 TDF. Phinney was the first american to win a non TT stage of the TDF.

HigherGround 10-22-05 10:21 PM

I love to re-read this thread. As a teenager I couldn't have cared less who won the World Series or NBA Championships. However I loved the old Winning magazines with the yellow border, and I remember when Velo News was actually printed on newspaper and folded in quarters. I learned about the Classics by following the 7-Eleven team's adventures. As nauseating as it was, I watched every second of the CBS coverage of the Tour (weekends only - this was long before OLN's daily Tour coverage)... along with the John Tesh sound track. Ah yes, when I was young and fast, and dreamed of being the next Greg LeMond, or at least the next rider to be signed by Jim Ochowicz...

ed073 10-23-05 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YMCA
The mid 90's were dominated by EPO. Sucks for those that just stuck with a pre-season of corticosteroids and as summer of amphetimines....


lol....

Ceya 10-23-05 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HigherGround
I love to re-read this thread. As a teenager I couldn't have cared less who won the World Series or NBA Championships. However I loved the old Winning magazines with the yellow border, and I remember when Velo News was actually printed on newspaper and folded in quarters. I learned about the Classics by following the 7-Eleven team's adventures. As nauseating as it was, I watched every second of the CBS coverage of the Tour (weekends only - this was long before OLN's daily Tour coverage)... along with the John Tesh sound track. Ah yes, when I was young and fast, and dreamed of being the next Greg LeMond, or at least the next rider to be signed by Jim Ochowicz...



I have the 7 Eleven team signatures on my old Velo News from 1986. The Citi Tour Leonard Harvey Nitz, Chris Carmicheal (this was when he came back from knee surgery and I rode with him to the hotel) Raul Alcala ( his first major international race with the team). I have Lemond and Phil Anderson also on another issue at the same race. Phil won that one. it was from Goshen NY, to Mahattan NY.

S/F<
CEYA!

socalrider 10-24-05 05:21 PM

How did everyone forget Bobke.. Bob Roll rode for both 7-11 and Motorola...

ed073 10-24-05 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalrider
How did everyone forget Bobke.. Bob Roll rode for both 7-11 and Motorola...


who's forgotten him??

socalrider 10-25-05 03:30 PM

Pictures of one of my Motorola bikes

http://www.geocities.com/mar10stuff/yatesmotorola2.jpg

ed073 10-25-05 04:39 PM

^^^^

MAXIMUM cool points!!!!

531Aussie 10-25-05 09:05 PM

AWESOME!!

I'd still be tempted to put a carbon fork on it :)

ed073 10-25-05 09:06 PM

.....I'm surprised any bike that's been ridden by YATES, S. is still in one piece.


ps-Love the sun glinting off that chromed stay. Bewdiful.

531Aussie 10-25-05 09:10 PM

I used to dream about chrome stays and forks, and it wasn't until about 1992 that I could justify the paint/chrome job on my Raleigh....then the forks rusted like crap after about 3 years :(

ed073 10-25-05 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
I used to dream about chrome stays and forks, and it wasn't until about 1992 that I could justify the paint/chrome job on my Raleigh....then the forks rusted like crap after about 3 years :(


In 1992 I was riding my Tony Barnes triple-triangle (cop that, GT :D) Reynolds 531 with Superbe Pro and Mavic MA40s....

chromed forks and stays.....confirmed.

531Aussie 10-25-05 09:16 PM

good old shiny, freckle-head?
:)

how much was the frame?

my 531c Raleigh was $529 in 1991

ed073 10-25-05 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
good old shiny, freckle-head?
:)

how much was the frame?

my 531c Raleigh was $529 in 1991


and his slightly unhinged brother, Marcus.

I picked it up one day after school in 1990....$570 I think.

531Aussie 10-25-05 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed073
I picked it up one day after school in 1990....$570 I think.

not bad -- Paconis were going for well over $700 back then, and Perkins' were about $1000!!

socalrider 10-25-05 09:42 PM

I have had the bike for 12 years and it has been kept in its original condition.. 7 speed dura ace group w/ downtube shifters.. The one unique thing is the seat tube angle..

69 degrees... I call it the cadillac because it rides so smooth..


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 AM.