Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 123
  1. #51
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2007 Cervelo Soloist (alu), Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Superprodigy, old CAAD8, Pro-Lite Bella, Ciocc Pryde, Norco Easton Elite, Allegro alu, Paconi 531c, 1988 Raleigh 531c, Centurion Kilo, Bennet Tange 4 hunk of junk
    Posts
    9,867
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed073
    you can NEVER post enough pics of steel Merckxs




    my hero!!

    I used to take this mag around to shops and say: "I want those stickers, that shirt, those sunnies, those levers"......but I knew I could never afford the bike

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 531Aussie




    my hero!!

    I used to take this mag around to shops and say: "I want those stickers, that shirt, those sunnies, those levers"......but I knew I could never afford the bike


    Ando putting the hurt on Tony Rominger.

    I got Le Skippy to sign my copy of that mag. It's at home somewhere.....

  3. #53
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2007 Cervelo Soloist (alu), Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Superprodigy, old CAAD8, Pro-Lite Bella, Ciocc Pryde, Norco Easton Elite, Allegro alu, Paconi 531c, 1988 Raleigh 531c, Centurion Kilo, Bennet Tange 4 hunk of junk
    Posts
    9,867
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I forgot that he could do that to someone like Rominger, but then again, he ain't exactly smiling.

    After he won the Tour of Britain (correct??), Terry Hammond said that Anderson was awesome over shorter climbs (dunno what he exactly meant by "short"), but obviously not as good in the big tours

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 531Aussie
    Yeah, I forgot that he could do that to someone like Rominger, but then again, he ain't exactly smiling.

    After he won the Tour of Britain (correct??), Terry Hammond said that Anderson was awesome over shorter climbs (dunno what he exactly meant by "short"), but obviously not as good in the big tours

    Yep. In 1991 Phil was white hot at the start of the season......winning everything.

    In 1994 (his final season) when the suspicious Gewiss-Ballan team were winning everything, he gave a great interview...

    "I'm not saying the Italians are doping, but when a pasty-white fat guy goes past me at 40kmh uphill, something ain't right."

  5. #55
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2007 Cervelo Soloist (alu), Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Superprodigy, old CAAD8, Pro-Lite Bella, Ciocc Pryde, Norco Easton Elite, Allegro alu, Paconi 531c, 1988 Raleigh 531c, Centurion Kilo, Bennet Tange 4 hunk of junk
    Posts
    9,867
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed073
    "I'm not saying the Italians are doping, but when a pasty-white fat guy goes past me at 40kmh uphill, something ain't right."
    is he talking about Uncle Tony? Oh, hang on, he ain't Italian Gimme a clue

    Last edited by 531Aussie; 10-20-05 at 10:34 PM.

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah....Berzin, Furlan, Argentin et al.
    The 1994 trifecta at la Fleche Wallone and then 1 and 3 (Armstrong 2nd) at L-B-L a week later is very dodgy....

  7. #57
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed073
    Nah....Berzin, Furlan, Argentin et al.
    The 1994 trifecta at la Fleche Wallone and then 1 and 3 (Armstrong 2nd) at L-B-L a week later is very dodgy....
    The mid 90's were dominated by EPO. Sucks for those that just stuck with a pre-season of corticosteroids and as summer of amphetimines. What were those old school to do? Join an Italian team? Hire Ferrari? The field is more level now, but...

  8. #58
    Senior Member bvfrompc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm late to the thread but will add a name:

    Greg "Dough Boy" Demgen, in US Championships in the 70s he went on a flyer at like the 4k mark and never looked back (Think Dave Z at the Tour of Spain). He's now the Marketing guy for DeFeet. My wife worked for him for a few years at Bolle.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Olyroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard
    I think his lovely personality didn't help things.
    Your reply about Alex , In all fairness to him , he really changed into a different man once he had kids. For the better, if you meet him today you wouldn't know it's the same guy.

  10. #60
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,106
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE
    Davis Phinney was with the 7-11 team and rode a Serotta-built frame when he became the first American to win a stage of the Tour de France in 1986.
    Greg Lemond won stage 21 (Limoge) at the 1985 TDF. Phinney was the first american to win a non TT stage of the TDF.

  11. #61
    Descends Like Avalanche HigherGround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
    Posts
    5,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to re-read this thread. As a teenager I couldn't have cared less who won the World Series or NBA Championships. However I loved the old Winning magazines with the yellow border, and I remember when Velo News was actually printed on newspaper and folded in quarters. I learned about the Classics by following the 7-Eleven team's adventures. As nauseating as it was, I watched every second of the CBS coverage of the Tour (weekends only - this was long before OLN's daily Tour coverage)... along with the John Tesh sound track. Ah yes, when I was young and fast, and dreamed of being the next Greg LeMond, or at least the next rider to be signed by Jim Ochowicz...
    The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.

  12. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCA
    The mid 90's were dominated by EPO. Sucks for those that just stuck with a pre-season of corticosteroids and as summer of amphetimines....

    lol....

  13. #63
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HigherGround
    I love to re-read this thread. As a teenager I couldn't have cared less who won the World Series or NBA Championships. However I loved the old Winning magazines with the yellow border, and I remember when Velo News was actually printed on newspaper and folded in quarters. I learned about the Classics by following the 7-Eleven team's adventures. As nauseating as it was, I watched every second of the CBS coverage of the Tour (weekends only - this was long before OLN's daily Tour coverage)... along with the John Tesh sound track. Ah yes, when I was young and fast, and dreamed of being the next Greg LeMond, or at least the next rider to be signed by Jim Ochowicz...


    I have the 7 Eleven team signatures on my old Velo News from 1986. The Citi Tour Leonard Harvey Nitz, Chris Carmicheal (this was when he came back from knee surgery and I rode with him to the hotel) Raul Alcala ( his first major international race with the team). I have Lemond and Phil Anderson also on another issue at the same race. Phil won that one. it was from Goshen NY, to Mahattan NY.

    S/F<
    CEYA!
    Last edited by Ceya; 10-23-05 at 05:59 PM.

  14. #64
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did everyone forget Bobke.. Bob Roll rode for both 7-11 and Motorola...

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider
    How did everyone forget Bobke.. Bob Roll rode for both 7-11 and Motorola...

    who's forgotten him??

  16. #66
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures of one of my Motorola bikes


  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^

    MAXIMUM cool points!!!!

  18. #68
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2007 Cervelo Soloist (alu), Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Superprodigy, old CAAD8, Pro-Lite Bella, Ciocc Pryde, Norco Easton Elite, Allegro alu, Paconi 531c, 1988 Raleigh 531c, Centurion Kilo, Bennet Tange 4 hunk of junk
    Posts
    9,867
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWESOME!!

    I'd still be tempted to put a carbon fork on it

  19. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....I'm surprised any bike that's been ridden by YATES, S. is still in one piece.


    ps-Love the sun glinting off that chromed stay. Bewdiful.

  20. #70
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2007 Cervelo Soloist (alu), Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Superprodigy, old CAAD8, Pro-Lite Bella, Ciocc Pryde, Norco Easton Elite, Allegro alu, Paconi 531c, 1988 Raleigh 531c, Centurion Kilo, Bennet Tange 4 hunk of junk
    Posts
    9,867
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to dream about chrome stays and forks, and it wasn't until about 1992 that I could justify the paint/chrome job on my Raleigh....then the forks rusted like crap after about 3 years

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 531Aussie
    I used to dream about chrome stays and forks, and it wasn't until about 1992 that I could justify the paint/chrome job on my Raleigh....then the forks rusted like crap after about 3 years

    In 1992 I was riding my Tony Barnes triple-triangle (cop that, GT ) Reynolds 531 with Superbe Pro and Mavic MA40s....

    chromed forks and stays.....confirmed.

  22. #72
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2007 Cervelo Soloist (alu), Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Superprodigy, old CAAD8, Pro-Lite Bella, Ciocc Pryde, Norco Easton Elite, Allegro alu, Paconi 531c, 1988 Raleigh 531c, Centurion Kilo, Bennet Tange 4 hunk of junk
    Posts
    9,867
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good old shiny, freckle-head?


    how much was the frame?

    my 531c Raleigh was $529 in 1991

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    My Bikes
    Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums
    Posts
    6,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 531Aussie
    good old shiny, freckle-head?


    how much was the frame?

    my 531c Raleigh was $529 in 1991

    and his slightly unhinged brother, Marcus.

    I picked it up one day after school in 1990....$570 I think.

  24. #74
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    2007 Cervelo Soloist (alu), Cervelo Carbon Soloist, Cervelo Superprodigy, old CAAD8, Pro-Lite Bella, Ciocc Pryde, Norco Easton Elite, Allegro alu, Paconi 531c, 1988 Raleigh 531c, Centurion Kilo, Bennet Tange 4 hunk of junk
    Posts
    9,867
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed073
    I picked it up one day after school in 1990....$570 I think.
    not bad -- Paconis were going for well over $700 back then, and Perkins' were about $1000!!

  25. #75
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the bike for 12 years and it has been kept in its original condition.. 7 speed dura ace group w/ downtube shifters.. The one unique thing is the seat tube angle..

    69 degrees... I call it the cadillac because it rides so smooth..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •