Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-12, 02:47 PM   #1
grwoolf
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin
Bikes:
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Specialized Shiv - Any problem with local USA cycling events that include TT?

I pulled the trigger on a Cervelo P2 today and was looking at a Shiv also (not the TT version). They guy in the store said there may be issues with racing them in non-tri events. I knew they were not UCI legal, but my assumption was that it didn't matter at a USA cycling event (at least not the levels I'm performing at). I did a quick google search and didn't find anything definative except a USA cycling statement from 2010 saying they were OK for masters, but not for any other Cat. IN the end, I went with the P2 because it seemed like a lot of bang for the buck, but would like to know the deal on the Shiv. I've got a teammate that just bought a Shiv today assuming he'd be able to use it in USA cycling TT events/stage races.

On a related note, do you think it's reasonable for a TT beginner to get proficient enough on a TT bike in 1 week to make it worth using at an event? We've got the State TT coming next weekend and some teammates have convinced me to attend, but I'm undecided if I want to try on the new bike or just ride my road bike in the EM category. The position feels really funny to me (during my 15 minute test ride) and I seriously question my abilty to make good power for an hour straight. I'm going to spend some time on it the next coulple days and see if I can get comfortable.
grwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 03:28 PM   #2
Nate552
Senior Member
 
Nate552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the lower Cats, typically, as long as it's not a National Champ event, the race officials don't care what you ride. Last year at the State TT I saw a guy racing a Trimble frame. I've also seen Softrides, old Zipp frames, etc. What Cat are you entering? As for getting comfy in a week....it depends. Depends on your fit, frame size choice, back, hamstrings, bar height, seat choice, etc. etc etc.
Nate552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 04:03 PM   #3
grwoolf
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin
Bikes:
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate552 View Post
In the lower Cats, typically, as long as it's not a National Champ event, the race officials don't care what you ride. Last year at the State TT I saw a guy racing a Trimble frame. I've also seen Softrides, old Zipp frames, etc. What Cat are you entering? As for getting comfy in a week....it depends. Depends on your fit, frame size choice, back, hamstrings, bar height, seat choice, etc. etc etc.
My friend/teammate who bought the shiv is a Cat 5, but only because he doesn't race much. He's got a monster FTP for a Cat 5 and has a good aero position on a road bike. I'll be curious how he does with a TT bike once he has some experience on one. He's in the same boat as me, no experience with TT bikes. I don't know that either of us will be on the new TT rigs next weekend, but we'll be out there.

I told the guy at the shop I couldn't imagine someone having an issue with UCI bike regulatioins in Cat 3/4/5 races, but he said the lower CATS sometimes have the biggest complainers and could possibly raise an issue if someone is posting good results on an "illegal" bike.
grwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 08:57 PM   #4
wacomme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado Spring, CO
Bikes: Vail Cycle Works - Ti
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard the same thing from bike shop guys. I'm a 45 + 4 racer. I can't imagine anyone nailing me for non-UCI rules, but . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwoolf View Post
My friend/teammate who bought the shiv is a Cat 5, but only because he doesn't race much. He's got a monster FTP for a Cat 5 and has a good aero position on a road bike. I'll be curious how he does with a TT bike once he has some experience on one. He's in the same boat as me, no experience with TT bikes. I don't know that either of us will be on the new TT rigs next weekend, but we'll be out there.

I told the guy at the shop I couldn't imagine someone having an issue with UCI bike regulatioins in Cat 3/4/5 races, but he said the lower CATS sometimes have the biggest complainers and could possibly raise an issue if someone is posting good results on an "illegal" bike.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 10:27 PM   #5
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwoolf View Post
On a related note, do you think it's reasonable for a TT beginner to get proficient enough on a TT bike in 1 week to make it worth using at an event?
Absolutely. You might not be really comfortable yet, and you certainly will not have developed the power you ultimately will have in the TT position, but you will likely be much faster despite that. I too recently pulled the trigger on a P2 (5-6 weeks ago?) and by my second ride, I was looking at the computer and thinking "Holy cow, am I really going that fast?" The speed feels effortless. Just cranking at a decent wattage, I became KOM on a hill I often use to practice leadout sprints (segment includes the downhill and the flat afterwards). I can crank as hard as I want on the road bike and not match what I do on the TT bike. As comparison, my CP5 (and likely my FTP) on the TT bike is maybe 30-40w less than on the road bike, but there is just no comparison in what I can do speed wise. TT bikes are insanely fast, due mostly of course to how aero YOU are.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 11:35 PM   #6
Nate552
Senior Member
 
Nate552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
As comparison, my CP5 (and likely my FTP) on the TT bike is maybe 30-40w less than on the road bike
Wait...what? Question, have ever been fit on your TT bike?
Nate552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 08:59 AM   #7
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate552 View Post
Wait...what? Question, have ever been fit on your TT bike?
Just the initial quick 'purchase fit' so far. But I've taken video, and Ex is helping me refine my position. Given my LBS has a wind-tunnel (see sig link), and I'm on the team, I'll likely eventually be tweaking it in the tunnel. It's always a balance between maximum power and minimum drag.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 09:12 AM   #8
Tech Director
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Bikes: dusty ones with flat tires
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are a very limited number of USA Cycling events where you would have an issue. These handful of events use UCI bike regulations and include:

- Most national championships
- Selections for world/olympic/national team events
- NRC events

An example is the Nationals being help in Augusta, GA this week. To see what the rules are scroll to page 2 of this doc:

https://www.usacycling.org/forms/nat...quirements.pdf

The idea is that events that qualify you to compete at UCI or international events or are top tier domestic events will use UCI rules. Otherwise the bike is fine and would be legal at the local TT.
Tech Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 10:04 AM   #9
grwoolf
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin
Bikes:
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Director View Post
There are a very limited number of USA Cycling events where you would have an issue. These handful of events use UCI bike regulations and include:

- Most national championships
- Selections for world/olympic/national team events
- NRC events

An example is the Nationals being help in Augusta, GA this week. To see what the rules are scroll to page 2 of this doc:

https://www.usacycling.org/forms/nat...quirements.pdf

The idea is that events that qualify you to compete at UCI or international events or are top tier domestic events will use UCI rules. Otherwise the bike is fine and would be legal at the local TT.
Thanks, good to see the official stance there. I'm going to send this to my LBS guys so they are a little more educated on the rules.

I took the new bike out this morning and I don't think I'll be riding it next weekend in the state TT. The TT is 40k and I don't think I can dial in and adapt to a good position where I'd be comfortable for 1+ hour. I did ~20 miles with a fast 15 mile out and back in the middle and I was struggling in the aerobars and not putting out good power. The speed difference was impressive though. It's the fastest I've ever ridden that stretch despite wattage numbers at least 40 watts off what I can do on my road bike. My quads were not happy, it felt like they were doing too much work compared to glutes/hamstrings.
grwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 06:52 PM   #10
JibberJim
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate552 View Post
Wait...what? Question, have ever been fit on your TT bike?
You can be fit to instantly give you the same power as your road bike.

Or you can be fit to give you the fastest speed, at a lower power which you can then generally rapidly adapt into with a lot of "free" power just from adapting to the position. And once you've done that of course you can reset back to finding the fastest new position.

Optimising for watts at the start seems pretty silly if it costs you time.
JibberJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 09:25 PM   #11
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibberJim View Post
Or you can be fit to give you the fastest speed, at a lower power which you can then generally rapidly adapt into with a lot of "free" power just from adapting to the position. And once you've done that of course you can reset back to finding the fastest new position.
Exactly the approach I'm taking. But after having the video assessed, I can likely get some power back, and also improve slipperiness by moving the seat forward some more. Currently at the UCI limit, but hey, even if I were doing Masters nationals, they've said they aren't enforcing that rule.

This has turned into a hijack - sorry.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 09:41 PM   #12
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd wait to hear what nate has to say before speaking for him.

He and ex have quite a bit of knowledge to drop regarding this stuff
ridethecliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 10:39 AM   #13
Thirstyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York metro area
Bikes:
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
personally, I consider it cheating if anyone races on a non-UCI compliant bike.
Thirstyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 10:55 AM   #14
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only problem I see in using a Shiv is not having the legs/lungs to push such a beautiful bike and looking like a parking lot poseur.
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 11:11 AM   #15
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the Shiv with the fairing is ugly anyways. I would much rather have the UCI legal version just because of looks. Not to mention, then I won't get flogged by all my friends saying I only won because I had a huge arse fairing.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 11:15 AM   #16
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,648
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
TT bikes are for dorks.

I need to get one though..
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 12:03 PM   #17
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
TT bikes are for dorks.
"It takes concentration, it takes patience, it takes confidence; if you're lacking in any of those three areas, you're going to have problems" Bobby Julich

Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 07:49 PM   #18
grwoolf
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin
Bikes:
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Update - I've got a shiv coming in Friday. After my (very uncomfortable) ride on Sunday, I went by the shop to look at my fit and ended up deciding the swap the p2 for a shiv comp. They were pretty close in price and this shiv was a much better fit. The p2 (in size 56) was really long for me and a 54 was too low. I ended up with a Shiv in a medium (54). I'm about 6'1" and I can't believe a 54cm frame is right, but the guy fitting me is well respected and the shiv felt much better than the p2. It's a very tall bike compared to the p2, so no issues on drop. Unfortunately, the bike I was fitted on was already sold, so we had to order one.

I won't feel any guilt about a non-uci bike if it's blessed by USA cycling. I've got a long way to go before the aero-factor of the bike frame is a consideration.
grwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:20 PM   #19
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,295
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwoolf View Post
...
I took the new bike out this morning and I don't think I'll be riding it next weekend in the state TT. The TT is 40k and I don't think I can dial in and adapt to a good position where I'd be comfortable for 1+ hour. I did ~20 miles with a fast 15 mile out and back in the middle and I was struggling in the aerobars and not putting out good power. The speed difference was impressive though. It's the fastest I've ever ridden that stretch despite wattage numbers at least 40 watts off what I can do on my road bike. ....
I don't understand why you are drawing the conclusion from this that you should NOT use the TT bike! It sounds to me like you SHOULD! It's not a wattage-measuring-contest, it's a SPEED measuring contest!!!

edit to add: who cares if you're comfortable, you only have to do it for an hour.
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:33 PM   #20
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,479
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
I don't understand why you are drawing the conclusion from this that you should NOT use the TT bike! It sounds to me like you SHOULD! It's not a wattage-measuring-contest, it's a SPEED measuring contest!!!

edit to add: who cares if you're comfortable, you only have to do it for an hour.
I love you.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:55 PM   #21
grwoolf
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin
Bikes:
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
I don't understand why you are drawing the conclusion from this that you should NOT use the TT bike! It sounds to me like you SHOULD! It's not a wattage-measuring-contest, it's a SPEED measuring contest!!!

edit to add: who cares if you're comfortable, you only have to do it for an hour.
I hear ya, but the speed was nothing to write home about. It's faster than I've done that stretch on a road bike, but I'd be sitting in the cellar at that pace against strong guys who know what they are doing on TT bikes. If there wasn't an EM category, I'd give the TT bike a go. I may not even have a TT bike for the weekend if it doesn't show up on Friday (and I have to register by noon tomorrow).
grwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 07:07 AM   #22
Nate552
Senior Member
 
Nate552's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox
Posts: 2,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwoolf View Post
I hear ya, but the speed was nothing to write home about. It's faster than I've done that stretch on a road bike, but I'd be sitting in the cellar at that pace against strong guys who know what they are doing on TT bikes. If there wasn't an EM category, I'd give the TT bike a go. I may not even have a TT bike for the weekend if it doesn't show up on Friday (and I have to register by noon tomorrow).
Got a tracking number on that bike? No way do I do a TT and leave the TT bike at home.
Nate552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 02:01 PM   #23
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Bikes:
Posts: 4,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
TT bikes are for dorks.

I need to get one though..
still got one on my wall...
Hida Yanra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 02:31 PM   #24
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How the heck is the P2 and Shiv the same price range? (Sorry I'm a bit uninformed on TT bikes). You can find a brand new P2 somewhere online for like $1500-$1800 because people bought two during that deal last summer. I would much rather be uncomfortable on a Cervelo and be fast, than be on a Shiv that looks dumb and isn't even UCI legal.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 04:17 PM   #25
grwoolf
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin
Bikes:
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
How the heck is the P2 and Shiv the same price range? (Sorry I'm a bit uninformed on TT bikes). You can find a brand new P2 somewhere online for like $1500-$1800 because people bought two during that deal last summer. I would much rather be uncomfortable on a Cervelo and be fast, than be on a Shiv that looks dumb and isn't even UCI legal.
I don't know why the price is similar, they just are (ask cervelo and specialized?). It's a Shiv Comp, which is the bottom end of the shiv line, but it has the same frame as everything but the S-works. The looks of the Shiv are individual taste, but I can't imagine why anyone would buy a bike they are not comfortable on.
grwoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.