Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-12, 01:10 PM   #1
notwist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
building up to training camp?

I will be in Maui for 1 week which I plan to do lots of riding. I plan on treating it as a "training camp" and will do a lot of long rides with lots of climbing. My question is how should I build up to this week of riding? I will be doing some CX racing which will end in October so I only have 6 weeks until my trip. What should I do in those 6 weeks of training? Just ride lots? TIA
notwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 06:32 PM   #2
Debusama
Senior Member
 
Debusama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What am I missing here, the training camp is training for 'cross season? I would think that a training camp might happen in preparation for a race season of sorts. If 'cross ends in October and your trip is in 6 weeks, it would seem that you're doing your trip in the middle of your cyclocross season. It doesn't make any sense. If you just want to be able to do longer rides wile on your trip, just do some longer weekend rides to get ready.
Debusama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-12, 06:49 PM   #3
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
41.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 03:12 AM   #4
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,495
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwist View Post
I will be in Maui for 1 week which I plan to do lots of riding. I plan on treating it as a "training camp" and will do a lot of long rides with lots of climbing. My question is how should I build up to this week of riding? I will be doing some CX racing which will end in October so I only have 6 weeks until my trip. What should I do in those 6 weeks of training? Just ride lots? TIA
I'm bad at guessing. When are you going to Maui? What kind of lifetime base do you have? What kind of base do you have in the last year or two? What kind of energy levels do you need when not riding in Maui, meaning expectations from others on the trip (if any)? Relative to your normal routine what's "a lot of riding"?

If you're doing a true training camp then the only thing you'll need to do is to get acclimated to long periods of time on the saddle. A 3-5 hour ride every week for 3-4 weeks would do it for me, after that I'm good to go for a "training camp" where I might ride 30+ hours in a week. Normally I ride 2-3 hours during the season and 1-2 of those hours are races.
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 09:38 AM   #5
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,648
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debusama View Post
What am I missing here, the training camp is training for 'cross season? I would think that a training camp might happen in preparation for a race season of sorts. If 'cross ends in October and your trip is in 6 weeks, it would seem that you're doing your trip in the middle of your cyclocross season. It doesn't make any sense. If you just want to be able to do longer rides wile on your trip, just do some longer weekend rides to get ready.
I thought cross training just consisted of drinking beer anyway.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 08:52 AM   #6
Debusama
Senior Member
 
Debusama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
I thought cross training just consisted of drinking beer anyway.
Yes, and I just finished my building phase... it's hard work.
Debusama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:24 AM   #7
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,495
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
OP must be busy training for cross season.
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:08 AM   #8
mugshot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debusama View Post
Yes, and I just finished my building phase... it's hard work.
Yep alot of training required, so much so it means going through a lot of training partners that cant keep up
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:16 AM   #9
YMCA
starting pistol means war
 
YMCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: Cervelo R3
Posts: 3,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The OP disappear? Kind of hard to help, with details left out.
YMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:28 AM   #10
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Botto scared him off...
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:30 AM   #11
wanders
going roundy round
 
wanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A training camp in Maui? Too many distractions and diversions. Training camp should be in a hellish, god forsaken place where you can stay focused on riding and being miserable on the bike allows you forget how horrible the place you're training truly is.

Some place like Nashville, Tennesee.
wanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:31 AM   #12
jsutkeepspining
Senior Member
 
jsutkeepspining's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
Bikes:
Posts: 4,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'd go to Tennessee just to bug fatty!
jsutkeepspining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:15 AM   #13
notwist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debusama View Post
What am I missing here, the training camp is training for 'cross season? I would think that a training camp might happen in preparation for a race season of sorts. If 'cross ends in October and your trip is in 6 weeks, it would seem that you're doing your trip in the middle of your cyclocross season. It doesn't make any sense. If you just want to be able to do longer rides wile on your trip, just do some longer weekend rides to get ready.
i'll have 6 weeks of riding between my last cross race and when i leave for vacation. My last road race this year was Tour of the Catskills and since then it's just been a lot of JRA, group rides, and the occasional MTB/CX ride.
notwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:17 AM   #14
notwist
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I'm bad at guessing. When are you going to Maui? What kind of lifetime base do you have? What kind of base do you have in the last year or two? What kind of energy levels do you need when not riding in Maui, meaning expectations from others on the trip (if any)? Relative to your normal routine what's "a lot of riding"?

If you're doing a true training camp then the only thing you'll need to do is to get acclimated to long periods of time on the saddle. A 3-5 hour ride every week for 3-4 weeks would do it for me, after that I'm good to go for a "training camp" where I might ride 30+ hours in a week. Normally I ride 2-3 hours during the season and 1-2 of those hours are races.
I started riding in 2008 but only started racing last year. Last year i rode around 350 hours and this year will probably be around 500 hours. Normally during the season I do a long 3-5 hour ride on the weekend anyways so I think I'll just aim for long hours leading up to my vacation.
notwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:39 AM   #15
rbart4506 
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's only been a week since Catskills?? You make it sound like it was ages ago...

You are over thinking things...I'm going to California at the end of October and won't do anything special leading up to it. With the time put in over the summer racing and training, kicking it up for a 25hr or so week won't be that tough...There's one important thing to remember...You are on vacation, so when you aren't riding you are recovering...At least that's how my wife and I do it. so it's so much easier to sneak a big hour week in when the call of the office isn't there and you can actually sleep in!
__________________
"On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx
rbart4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.