Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-12, 10:36 AM   #1
st3venb
internettubes engineer
Thread Starter
 
st3venb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mesa, Az.
Bikes: 2012 Felt Z85
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going to lose my race virginity in September.

I don't know if this really counts as a race race, but I'm considering it that.

I hope that I can finish it, in time.

http://www.prescottbikeped.org/presc...nge/index.html
st3venb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 10:54 AM   #2
hammy56
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
swing and a miss.
hammy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 11:18 AM   #3
jsutkeepspining
Senior Member
 
jsutkeepspining's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
Bikes:
Posts: 4,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
play nice hammy. pretend rkwaki was here.
jsutkeepspining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 12:28 PM   #4
mkadam68
Senior Member
 
mkadam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3venb View Post
Going to lose my race virginity in September.
Umm... sorry: no, you're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3venb View Post
I don't know if this really counts as a race race
It doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3venb View Post
I'm considering it that.
So, the only one there who'll be racing will be you.

Regardless, have fun.
mkadam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 10:31 PM   #5
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,749
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Doesn't sound like a race, but usually there will be some peeps racing it anyway.. or trying to finish 'first' at least.

It might end up being a good warmup to figuring out what it's like to ride in a pack, etc.

Btw here are some real races in your state: http://www.usacycling.org/events/?state=AZ
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 07:35 AM   #6
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a fun race/ride, technically was my first timed event when I started cycling in 2010. Oh how it feels like it was forever ago. I ended up top 15 and was the only guy in the main pack to stop off for some water at an aid station. Very fast and lots of climbing, so be prepared. Definitely not a USAC race though, that's a whole 'nother step up of pain and suffering and speed.

My strava file for that ride:

http://app.strava.com/activities/207627
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 07:36 AM   #7
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No insertion so it doesn't count
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 08:10 AM   #8
wanders
going roundy round
 
wanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
However, if there's a dust storm, you do get extra credit.
wanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 11:09 AM   #9
mugshot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Might not be a race, but you should enjoy it and use it as a base to find out about races you can join in.
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 09:47 PM   #10
aztimm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
.

Btw here are some real races in your state: http://www.usacycling.org/events/?state=AZ
Tour de Scottsdale counts as a race? How does that count and el Tour de Tucson (or any of the other tours) don't count?

I thought only crits counted as racing.
aztimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 09:53 PM   #11
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Tour de Scottsdale counts as a race? How does that count and el Tour de Tucson (or any of the other tours) don't count?

I thought only crits counted as racing.
Crazy, isn't it ? Did you see that big Tour de France thing, with those guys riding around France day after day ? They make a big deal about the "winner", and give him a special jersey, but not one single criterium the whole time .... jeesh ! And on some days, the guys were just out riding by themselves, and they even had a support car ! I mean, I like riding by myself, but I don't go telling people I raced, and have a support car following me, like I'm gonna crash or something (I know how to fix a flat).
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-13-12 at 09:57 PM.
Homebrew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:02 PM   #12
aztimm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
Crazy, isn't it ? Did you see that big Tour de France thing, with those guys riding around France day after day ? They make a big deal about the "winner", and give him a special jersey, but not one single criterium the whole time .... jeesh ! And on some days, the guys were just out riding by themselves, and they even had a support car ! I mean, I like riding by myself, but I don't go telling people I raced, and have a support car following me, like I'm gonna crash or something (I know how to fix a flat).
You still didn't answer my question. Why would one count and not the others?
aztimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:07 PM   #13
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Tour de Scottsdale counts as a race? How does that count and el Tour de Tucson (or any of the other tours) don't count?

I thought only crits counted as racing.
The USAC website says Tour de Scottsdale is a "Road Fun Ride / Tour" ... doesn't say "Road Race"
That link was not race specific. If you select "Results & Rankings Events", that looks more race specific.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-13-12 at 10:12 PM.
Homebrew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:13 PM   #14
aztimm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chandler, AZ
Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
The USAC website says Tour de Scottsdale is a "Road Fun Ride / Tour" ... doesn't say "Road Race"
So I guess el Tour de Tucson is just a stroll through the park since it isn't even listed.

http://www1.perimeterbicycling.com/el-tour-de-tucson/

BTW, I'm doing both, and I certainly do not consider myself a racer. I've also done el Tour de Mesa. Seems like your site just doesn't like Perimeter events, which are the bulk of the bike tours in AZ.
aztimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:17 PM   #15
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
The Tour de Tuscon may be a difficult ride or tour, but that doesn't make it a race.
USAC is one of several cycling event sanctioning organizations in the U.S.
(I'm in CT, so pretty clueless about the events out west.)
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-13-12 at 10:21 PM.
Homebrew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:29 PM   #16
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is our AZ sanctioned race schedule: http://www.azcycling.com/calendar

Tour de Scottsdale is considered more of a 'serious race' than some of the others because of its route, who rides it, and the general approach. Hell, they give bikes to the winners. There is a crit associated with it that is sanctioned, though they have them separated schedule-wise now. Tucson involves carrying your bike through a couple of washes, and has so many people that factor influences results to a large degree, so it's not as "clean" a race. But to win either one, you have to beat people like the U.S. M35+ national RR (and crit) champ. NRC men and women ride both, and Tucson gets some international riders.

Let's face it people, road races are getting really hard to organize and permit. One of the ways to make them feasible is by turning them into "charity rides", which helps make the economics and city cooperation work. They may not be sanctioned and give points, but some of them are most definitely races. I don't know how the Prescott ride stacks up as I haven't done it, but the terrain in that area can be really challenging, especially if it's hot.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:51 PM   #17
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
Here is our AZ sanctioned race schedule: http://www.azcycling.com/calendar

Tour de Scottsdale is considered more of a 'serious race' than some of the others because of its route, who rides it, and the general approach. Hell, they give bikes to the winners. There is a crit associated with it that is sanctioned, though they have them separated schedule-wise now. Tucson involves carrying your bike through a couple of washes, and has so many people that factor influences results to a large degree, so it's not as "clean" a race. But to win either one, you have to beat people like the U.S. M35+ national RR (and crit) champ. NRC men and women ride both, and Tucson gets some international riders.

Let's face it people, road races are getting really hard to organize and permit. One of the ways to make them feasible is by turning them into "charity rides", which helps make the economics and city cooperation work.
They may not be sanctioned and give points, but some of them are most definitely races. I don't know how the Prescott ride stacks up as I haven't done it, but the terrain in that area can be really challenging, especially if it's hot.
Actually that would be the definition of it not being a race.

Just because something is hard and there are people who try to beat others doesn't make it a race. Otherwise all of the Tuesday night rides around the country would be races....

.....and yes, some think they are....but they're not.
Psimet2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 06:15 AM   #18
mkadam68
Senior Member
 
mkadam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
Actually that would be the definition of it not being a race.

Just because something is hard and there are people who try to beat others doesn't make it a race. Otherwise all of the Tuesday night rides around the country would be races....

.....and yes, some think they are....but they're not.
+1 Some of the hardest riding I've done have not been races, but charity rides (Assault on Mt. Mitchell, Breathless Agony, Mulholland Challenge, etc...).
mkadam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 06:33 AM   #19
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,069
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
So I guess el Tour de Tucson is just a stroll through the park since it isn't even listed.

http://www1.perimeterbicycling.com/el-tour-de-tucson/

BTW, I'm doing both, and I certainly do not consider myself a racer. I've also done el Tour de Mesa. Seems like your site just doesn't like Perimeter events, which are the bulk of the bike tours in AZ.
Lots of events are permitted through USAC for insurance reasons. My team hosts a charity ride each fall that we permit through USAC and for which we require USAC licenses. It is NOT a race, though we do declare the first guy back the "winner." Going through USAC assures we are covered in case of any catastrophes or other injuries.

IMO, a lot of the "racing" you see at these cookie rides is a lot more dick measuring than anything else.
topflightpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:10 AM   #20
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Lots of events are permitted through USAC for insurance reasons. My team hosts a charity ride each fall that we permit through USAC and for which we require USAC licenses. It is NOT a race, though we do declare the first guy back the "winner." Going through USAC assures we are covered in case of any catastrophes or other injuries.

IMO, a lot of the "racing" you see at these cookie rides is a lot more dick measuring than anything else.
And that's why I am the winner...










People feel sorry for my teeny weenie
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:49 AM   #21
rbart4506 
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rk...You seem to have a fascination with the penis...hmmmmm....
__________________
"On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx
rbart4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 07:54 AM   #22
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbart4506 View Post
Rk...You seem to have a fascination with the penis...hmmmmm....
You, my friend, are correct...
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 08:05 AM   #23
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that these events become two separate rides. There are folks out there doing the ride, and there are folks out front trying to win. When something is mass start, chip timed, gives awards for placing, and tracks performance over time, I just don't see how it isn't a 'race'. Granted they are different than a USAC sanctioned RR, but there are many sanctioning bodies, and surely USAC isn't the only organization that can make a ride a 'race'.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 08:59 AM   #24
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.
 
ljrichar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Greensboro, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have to obey traffic laws?
ljrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-12, 09:04 AM   #25
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the events under discussion, they control the intersections, just as in a sanctioned race, but maybe not for the entire time, which is drawn out more. So, if you get dropped, you may face an intersection where the traffic has been released to control by the lights.

For those of you with a narrow definition of what constitutes a race, precisely what criteria need to be met? If you can't define it, then...
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 AM.