Don't mean to interrupt the car talk (I also drive a payment free old truck) but...I attended the our local race association meeting this weekend. A few interesting tid bits:
USA Cycling rule book is being completely re-written. Although not final yet these probable changes were highlighted:
* Upgrade period for 4->3, 3->2, & 2->1 will be expanded from 12 months to 24 or 36. Automatic upgrade points remains the same.
* For 1 day TTs riders may enter in their category or higher. Be prepared to be smoked by a cat 4 who's category sold out.
* Equipment limitation for jr. TTs
* Drug testing in local races got a big "Meh...". No details were given and there was very little discussion. My interpretation was that it won't happen this year.
* Race Directors now have to get certified by passing an online test. I foresee this certification getting more & more challenging in the future as USA Cycling is pushing races to become more professionally run to protect against lawsuits.
* There was a significant jump in new races for 2013 in SoCal. Many weekends will now have Sat & Sun racing options. Not sure if other districts are seeing the same increase.