Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List
gsteinb, MDcatV, Racer Ex 

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-13, 07:48 PM   #12501
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,320
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
how much snack should i bring to a 66 mile race?
... 3 hours worth?
__________________

twitter.com/ygduf
strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline  
Old 09-07-13, 08:35 PM   #12502
bmcphx
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes: Black Incs
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
wait no it's 50 miles.
two hours of "snack"
bmcphx is offline  
Old 09-07-13, 09:20 PM   #12503
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcphx View Post
I go to bed after 2.5 men at 8.

Remember it's 100 degrees at 0900 some days. You have to plan around that.
Not today though...second Saturday in a row I was rained on. Cut today's ride short, need to knock out 50 more miles tomorrow to hit my 300 mile week goal. Not so sure that was the best goal, my legs are jello.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 09-07-13, 10:53 PM   #12504
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Here is another shoe update: I have now heat molded my Bonts about four times. I thought I had them to a good spot, and put on some cleats last night to try them out.

They were different. They are still not wide enough, and I could tell the stack height was slightly less as my legs felt a bit more extended than usual. (As a side note, I am on the trainer as part of my knee rehab.) And they are velco only, so I had a tougher time getting them to hold like I like. About halfway through my ride, I decided I'd had enough. My foot was getting a bit numb from being too narrow. I put my Specialized shoes back on.

It was then that I realized how different things were. The arch supports in the Specialized felt super high, almost uncomfortably so. And I noticed a bit of a twinge in my knee when I changed shoes, making me wonder if my shoes are hindering my knee recovery.

I'm going to try to mold the Bonts some more and really try to push them out.
Can you use a shoe tree as a stretcher? if you use the ones that have space in the middle, you can shove a battery or something in there to use them to stretch things out. Use a mix of rubbing alcohol and water on the inside of the shoe to get them a little softer. That's if they're leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
all of the snack.
I accidentally all of the snack.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 04:52 AM   #12505
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
Not today though...second Saturday in a row I was rained on. Cut today's ride short, need to knock out 50 more miles tomorrow to hit my 300 mile week goal. Not so sure that was the best goal, my legs are jello.
It's good if it was a one time thing or a long term goal ("I did 250 miles, let's see if I can do 300"). It's good if it's part of an overall plan, even if it's really vague, like "I want to ride a lot of miles to see what it's like" or "I want to do base miles for 2014".

It's not good if you're racing tomorrow, or if you're specifically working on speed, if your big miles sabotages something else. It all depends on your what you want to do with the bike.

Last week (well last Thu to this past Tue) I had this dream thought of doing six 50 mile days in a row. I got 4 days (50/0/40/50/0/50) and that was probably enough. My fastest ride was the last one and it was a 50 mile day. If I'd done the 6 days in a row I think my first day would have been the fastest (also a 50 mile day), and as it was it was the second fastest of my little training block. I was slow on the 40 and the second 50 mile day due to fatigue.

I haven't ridden the bike since, and that's not as good, but I haven't ridden because I've been totally fatigued. I decided that I need to rest rather than force myself to ride. My next goal is to be in good racing shape in March 2014 so riding earlier this week isn't critical to that.

The training block happened because it could happen - we were visiting the Missus's parents so there there three adults that could look after Junior. It was just a timing thing.

Your big week this week will mean that when you recover a bit you should be stronger. This is that whole idea of training/recovering - you're just doing a 300 mile block.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 08:33 AM   #12506
SpeshulEd
Super Moderator
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 7,063
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
It's good if it was a one time thing or a long term goal ("I did 250 miles, let's see if I can do 300"). It's good if it's part of an overall plan, even if it's really vague, like "I want to ride a lot of miles to see what it's like" or "I want to do base miles for 2014".

It's not good if you're racing tomorrow, or if you're specifically working on speed, if your big miles sabotages something else. It all depends on your what you want to do with the bike.

Last week (well last Thu to this past Tue) I had this dream thought of doing six 50 mile days in a row. I got 4 days (50/0/40/50/0/50) and that was probably enough. My fastest ride was the last one and it was a 50 mile day. If I'd done the 6 days in a row I think my first day would have been the fastest (also a 50 mile day), and as it was it was the second fastest of my little training block. I was slow on the 40 and the second 50 mile day due to fatigue.

I haven't ridden the bike since, and that's not as good, but I haven't ridden because I've been totally fatigued. I decided that I need to rest rather than force myself to ride. My next goal is to be in good racing shape in March 2014 so riding earlier this week isn't critical to that.

The training block happened because it could happen - we were visiting the Missus's parents so there there three adults that could look after Junior. It was just a timing thing.

Your big week this week will mean that when you recover a bit you should be stronger. This is that whole idea of training/recovering - you're just doing a 300 mile block.
Yeah, it was really for no reason. Basically another buddy of mine who is currently working from home, has time to ride all the time, and has knocked out two 300 mile weeks in the past month and I think I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it too. It's dumb and serves no purpose, just a stupid stroke of the ego - "If you can do it, I can do it too." I knocked out a century on Monday, and figured 200 more miles would be easy. I had a nice performance boost Wednesday and Thursday from the Century, but should have probably taken another rest day after that. Instead I went out hard Friday night and ended up dragging ass on the club ride I was on yesterday. Had buddies that wanted to ride with me again today and I told them no. I'm going to do a very slow 50 today, just to say I did it and then take a couple of days off.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 08:40 AM   #12507
bmcphx
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes: Black Incs
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
End the week with the long ride.
bmcphx is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 12:55 PM   #12508
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
Posts: 8,844
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
so any tips on what might be causing/ways to reduce tire rub on chain stays? the wheel is true, should be plenty stiff for me (ksyrium elite), and there is plenty of clearance when it's just sitting there, but I'm still seeing rubber marks on my chain stays. never saw this with my fulcrum rear wheel (RIP). probably going to start training on my super heavy duty 36 spoke wheels to reduce this, don't want my bike to end up like fudgy's ( ). Also going to put some frame protector sticker things inside there. the wheel is a number of years old and has a number of miles on it, but nothing which should put it out of commission.


hopefully next year I can finally pick up a nice set of "racing wheels" and some 32 spoke open pro/ultegra wheels for training.
mike868y is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 03:20 PM   #12509
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
Yeah, it was really for no reason. Basically another buddy of mine who is currently working from home, has time to ride all the time, and has knocked out two 300 mile weeks in the past month and I think I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it too. It's dumb and serves no purpose, just a stupid stroke of the ego - "If you can do it, I can do it too." I knocked out a century on Monday, and figured 200 more miles would be easy. I had a nice performance boost Wednesday and Thursday from the Century, but should have probably taken another rest day after that. Instead I went out hard Friday night and ended up dragging ass on the club ride I was on yesterday. Had buddies that wanted to ride with me again today and I told them no. I'm going to do a very slow 50 today, just to say I did it and then take a couple of days off.
I think you had a perfectly good reason! I hope you did your 50 and now you're relaxing
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 03:22 PM   #12510
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
so any tips on what might be causing/ways to reduce tire rub on chain stays? the wheel is true, should be plenty stiff for me (ksyrium elite), and there is plenty of clearance when it's just sitting there, but I'm still seeing rubber marks on my chain stays. never saw this with my fulcrum rear wheel (RIP). probably going to start training on my super heavy duty 36 spoke wheels to reduce this, don't want my bike to end up like fudgy's ( ). Also going to put some frame protector sticker things inside there. the wheel is a number of years old and has a number of miles on it, but nothing which should put it out of commission.


hopefully next year I can finally pick up a nice set of "racing wheels" and some 32 spoke open pro/ultegra wheels for training.
You sure it's new rub? Not just old rub?

Is it rubbing on one side only or both? What kind of clearance do you have?

Can you flex the wheel in the frame? Is the axle staying in place?
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 03:37 PM   #12511
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
Posts: 8,844
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
You sure it's new rub? Not just old rub?

Is it rubbing on one side only or both? What kind of clearance do you have?

Can you flex the wheel in the frame? Is the axle staying in place?
new rub because I cleaned it off before the race yesterday, rubbing both sides, can measure clearance but it seems like plenty. can flex the wheel in the frame a tad, not enough to make it rub (I believe, will double check). skewer is tight (not SUPER tight, but I've always been under the impression they do not need to be). can the axle move if the skewer isn't moving?

you know me though, shouldn't be having trouble flexing stuff. i'm so damn tiny and lucky to hit 1000w.

~edit~

so I actually checked and there is about 5mm of clearance on either side. but, with my hand i can flex the wheel to within probably 2mm of the chain stay. is this just a flexy ass wheel? was hoping that wasn't the case.

Last edited by mike868y; 09-08-13 at 05:14 PM.
mike868y is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 05:09 PM   #12512
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my wife is best friends with my bosses wife...getting the vibe that my boss is concerned with me wrecking again next season. I am not on short term disability, just crutches(so basically coworkers are my slaves ) but I do shudder at the idea of breaking a leg/collarbone etc. next season and having it affect work. I know it's a risk/reward kinda thing but curious if any of you have had this issue in the past?
thechemist is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 05:23 PM   #12513
bmcphx
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes: Black Incs
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I crashed two weeks ago. My hip has a wound. On yesterday's 7 hour ride my bibs became fused to that wound. I think everyone in the resort heard me scream when I unsuspectingly pulled them off.

Ow.
bmcphx is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 06:01 PM   #12514
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike868y View Post
new rub because I cleaned it off before the race yesterday, rubbing both sides, can measure clearance but it seems like plenty. can flex the wheel in the frame a tad, not enough to make it rub (I believe, will double check). skewer is tight (not SUPER tight, but I've always been under the impression they do not need to be). can the axle move if the skewer isn't moving?

you know me though, shouldn't be having trouble flexing stuff. i'm so damn tiny and lucky to hit 1000w.

~edit~

so I actually checked and there is about 5mm of clearance on either side. but, with my hand i can flex the wheel to within probably 2mm of the chain stay. is this just a flexy ass wheel? was hoping that wasn't the case.
Axle might move if the opening in the dropout is a bit larger than it should be, like if it's worn or if it was too big to begin with. Doubtful though.

Try pushing down on the cranks with the front brake on, bike in a big gear (big ring, small cog). Push down hard, like you're sprinting, like step on the pedal and bounce up and down. Have someone else watch the tire/frame area. I'm guessing it's just flexy.
carpediemracing is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 06:22 PM   #12515
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Podium!

oh and this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1229979_201849569992864_316401705_n.jpg (86.7 KB, 43 views)
spectastic is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 06:26 PM   #12516
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
Posts: 8,844
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Axle might move if the opening in the dropout is a bit larger than it should be, like if it's worn or if it was too big to begin with. Doubtful though.

Try pushing down on the cranks with the front brake on, bike in a big gear (big ring, small cog). Push down hard, like you're sprinting, like step on the pedal and bounce up and down. Have someone else watch the tire/frame area. I'm guessing it's just flexy.

yeah, that's the best conclusion i've come to. whelp, guess it gives me an excuse to finally get a nice set of "race" wheels I've been lusting after.

and on that note, does anyone have experience with the dura ace c24 wheels?

Last edited by mike868y; 09-08-13 at 06:53 PM.
mike868y is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 07:01 PM   #12517
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,975
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I could be way off here, but I imagine frame flex is causing the rub, not wheel flex.
rankin116 is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 07:01 PM   #12518
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shouldnt flex that much even if a flexy wheel. i'd check hub adjustment. some hubs that are not properly adjusted will have lateral movement in them. also, what size tires? are your brakes hitting the rim also? I have my brakes set way tighter than the distance between stays and tires. if your rim isnt also hitting your brakes, maybe you just need 23s.
MDcatV is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 07:06 PM   #12519
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
Posts: 8,844
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
i am running 23s. i'll check the hub adjustment but moving it with my hand I don't notice any obvious hub play. i don't notice the wheel rubbing the brakes but it could be I guess? I think I would feel that though. I do tend to run my brakes pretty open compared to other people. In all honesty though, considering I've never touched the hub adjustment on this wheel that's probably it. friggin mavic and their stupid proprietary tool that I didn't keep.

i'm like 135lbs, I'm kind of surprised that I'm flexing anything that much.

and I'm still buying nicer wheels for next season #wheellust

Last edited by mike868y; 09-08-13 at 07:37 PM.
mike868y is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 07:09 PM   #12520
rbart4506 
You blink and it's gone.
 
rbart4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dundas, Ontario
Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcphx View Post
I crashed two weeks ago. My hip has a wound. On yesterday's 7 hour ride my bibs became fused to that wound. I think everyone in the resort heard me scream when I unsuspectingly pulled them off.

Ow.
I have one word...TEGADERM...
__________________
"On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx
rbart4506 is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 08:02 PM   #12521
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,669
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
so i guess horner has 2nd on lock..
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 08:48 PM   #12522
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
do racers reach plateaus? or do they just keep getting better, advancing all the way up to the pro 1/2?
spectastic is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 08:58 PM   #12523
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
do racers reach plateaus? or do they just keep getting better, advancing all the way up to the pro 1/2?
Everybody reaches their own personal plateau ... basically a combination of genetics, motivation & training.

Looking back to when I raced "seriously", I see a few things I could have done better, and I would have been a better racer. But I think it would only have put me towards the front of my catergory. I could never have been a pro, no matter what ... unless I get reincarnated as a pro, but I'm not holding out hope.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-08-13 at 09:02 PM.
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 09:08 PM   #12524
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,371
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I started on a plateau. Then I fell off it.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0IWHxvswLk
globecanvas is offline  
Old 09-08-13, 09:31 PM   #12525
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,626
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
do racers reach plateaus? or do they just keep getting better, advancing all the way up to the pro 1/2?
You know in grad school they have terminal masters? I am a terminal masters cat 3.
caloso is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.