Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 602 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 102502552592600601602603604612652702 ... LastLast
Results 15,026 to 15,050 of 24978
  1. #15026
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,493
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    You know I must say I right pretty good and often wonder what is being taught in school. Its almost like their not teaching kid's the right way to write an essay or the teacher's themselfs lack the skillz to teach/correct the written word.
    I have actually sent some of my kids' assignments back with circles around grammatical. There teachers probably don't think its funny...

    lol ... i thought justkeepspelling took over your account for a minute there

  2. #15027
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    [/begin old man rant]:

    for anyone under let's say 30 who went to college, do you folks actually have to write reports or is everything a bubble sheet now? i have hired multple people over the past 15 years from natural sciences backgrounds from schools ranging from random small state schools to Duke, and noticed a steady erosion of writing skills to the point that new-ish hires dont seem to be able to formulate a basic paragraph that opens with a position, supports that position, and compels the reader to a conclusion. they're more like incoherent thoughts with a conclusion that isnt really supported. I have talked with others in similar positions as myself in my company and we all have noticed the same thing, so I'm not totally alone in this.

    dear colleges: your graduates can't write, despite whatever you're requiring.

    [/old man rant.]
    My wife is going back to school now to finish up here M.S. and I must say they are writing quite a bit, much to my surprise. Now, the tests on the other hand...
    Then again one could argue if tests are even valuable, if content is being grasped.

  3. #15028
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    8,085
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Holy **** to write with poor grammar and punctuation is more difficult than writing correctly...
    seems pretty easy for you to mix infinitives with gerunds; i see someone has failed out of grammar school

  4. #15029
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nayr497's BFF
    Posts
    8,529
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    seems pretty easy for you to mix infinitives with gerunds; i see someone has failed out of grammar school
    All by design my young friend
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  5. #15030
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nayr497's BFF
    Posts
    8,529
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meant to comment in followup to some of the heated posts from last week. Wife showed me some stuff on FB last night. I'm patiently waiting for some guys from my gym to get into it. The trash talk, insults and jabs did nothing but fire up a couple of heavyweights. I had hoped that one of the other guys would jump in and say simma down but nope it just continued, someone is going to throw some haymakers I suspect.
    Don't these idiots realize that their feuds are public and that they see each other in the gym almost daily? ****tards...
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  6. #15031
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    7,299
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to drop in just to whine, but... Orthopedist appointment in a couple hours, thank goodness. A plan for fixing my poor, shattered collarbone would be good for morale. Almost as good as actually fixing it! Hopefully very soon; I'm pretty tired of bones crunching around in my shoulder whenever I move a bit too incautiously.
    The Workingman's Honest Bicycle Program - Heady talk about bikes, bike racing, bike racers and bike riding. standarddouble.com/whbp

  7. #15032
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nayr497's BFF
    Posts
    8,529
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Sorry to drop in just to whine, but... Orthopedist appointment in a couple hours, thank goodness. A plan for fixing my poor, shattered collarbone would be good for morale. Almost as good as actually fixing it! Hopefully very soon; I'm pretty tired of bones crunching around in my shoulder whenever I move a bit too incautiously.
    Suck it up buttercup...
    If you were a crossfitter you would be out doing some heavy Oly lifts right now - beast mode...



    Good luck to you at ortho...
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  8. #15033
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    7,299
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh. Good thing I'm not a crossfitter, I guess!
    The Workingman's Honest Bicycle Program - Heady talk about bikes, bike racing, bike racers and bike riding. standarddouble.com/whbp

  9. #15034
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    [/begin old man rant]:

    for anyone under let's say 30 who went to college, do you folks actually have to write reports or is everything a bubble sheet now? i have hired multple people over the past 15 years from natural sciences backgrounds from schools ranging from random small state schools to Duke, and noticed a steady erosion of writing skills to the point that new-ish hires dont seem to be able to formulate a basic paragraph that opens with a position, supports that position, and compels the reader to a conclusion. they're more like incoherent thoughts with a conclusion that isnt really supported. I have talked with others in similar positions as myself in my company and we all have noticed the same thing, so I'm not totally alone in this.

    dear colleges: your graduates can't write, despite whatever you're requiring.

    [/old man rant.]
    24 y/o here. 4 semesters of writing classes and a minor in history (another 18 credits, which may as well be a minor in writing). I realize the importance of writing in business/daily life so made sure I received as much from the education as possible!
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  10. #15035
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nayr497's BFF
    Posts
    8,529
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    24 y/o here. 4 semesters of writing classes and a minor in history (another 18 credits, which may as well be a minor in writing). I realize the importance of writing in business/daily life so made sure I received as much from the education as possible!
    Aren't you in Engineering of some sort?
    Last edited by rkwaki; 11-06-13 at 09:51 AM.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  11. #15036
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Aren't you in Engineering of some sort?
    Not so much. My freshman year I was in Mechanical Engineering, but after the first year I was like WTF AM I DOING THIS IS SO HARD AND IM BARELY PASSING. So I bailed.

    I finished up with a BS in Geography w/ minor in US History and GIS Certificate. I work in software doing the Geography/GIS thing.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  12. #15037
    \_(ツ)_/ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The importance of writing in daily life...

    I write flyers and emails for distribution. I keep them short enough that you can get the message without really reading more than the headers of each area.

    And then my idea gets passed around to a bunch of facility managers who can barely read, and they all add 500 words. It ends up looking like the dead sea scrolls and we're constantly amazed that our message is lost.

    Practice writing, but work on persuasive reasoning too.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  13. #15038
    Senior Member danielrbaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Not so much. My freshman year I was in Mechanical Engineering, but after the first year I was like WTF AM I DOING THIS IS SO HARD AND IM BARELY PASSING. So I bailed.

    I finished up with a BS in Geography w/ minor in US History and GIS Certificate. I work in software doing the Geography/GIS thing.
    How's working in GIS? Currently an undergrad in the natural sciences. Some of my professors have mentioned it's a good field.

  14. #15039
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Up early, ready to ride. z2!!!!!
    pfft. 6:30 is early for you?
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

  15. #15040
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,116
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Not so much. My freshman year I was in Mechanical Engineering, but after the first year I was like WTF AM I DOING THIS IS SO HARD AND IM BARELY PASSING. So I bailed.

    I finished up with a BS in Geography w/ minor in US History and GIS Certificate. I work in software doing the Geography/GIS thing.
    Ah yes, the engineering weed-out classes. Computer Science is in the College of Engineering at CU, so I had to grit my way through a couple of those -- made me feel pretty stupid until I realized I was nailing As and Bs after the curve. That said, you then faced 3-4 more years of a much more rigorous degree program than Computer Science. I just had to get through that gate, then it was on to stuff that I'd already been doing at some level for nearly a decade.

  16. #15041
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,129
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The past few years my writing has regressed. More social writing and less formal writing have caused a more haphazard style and less proofreading. Social media has made 'writing like you talk' more acceptable, and it ends up spilling into professional careers. My grammatical skills were never great, however diligent proofreading helps, something I often fail to do when posting here. In the workplace my writing has been relegated to emails. I rarely having to write any professional documentation.

    Like Ygduf, I've submitted documents which my supervisors would 'clean up' and turn it to garbage. Some of them feel obligated to edit something, adding clutter. Getting into management around here is more about who yells the loudest, not silly things like grammar.

  17. #15042
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,116
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandro View Post
    pfft. 6:30 is early for you?
    No kidding. When I'm up early to ride, it's 4:15.

  18. #15043
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Not so much. My freshman year I was in Mechanical Engineering, but after the first year I was like WTF AM I DOING THIS IS SO HARD AND IM BARELY PASSING. So I bailed.

    I finished up with a BS in Geography w/ minor in US History and GIS Certificate. I work in software doing the Geography/GIS thing.
    What sort of stuff are you working on in the GIS space?

    27 year old here. No formal college (no degree, anyway). It always amazes me how few people are able to write a decent, grammatically correct email. Especially at a company that prides itself on being so scholastically-centric. Brevity is fine but be coherent, make a point, support your point, and proofread!
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

  19. #15044
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danielrbaer View Post
    How's working in GIS? Currently an undergrad in the natural sciences. Some of my professors have mentioned it's a good field.
    It's good! I love GIS! I wouldn't do it as a specific field though. Definitely specialize in something and learn GIS to go a long with it. That will make you much more valuable in the field, and even just learning GIS on the side will give you enough background to do it in another field if you ended up wanting to do more GIS stuff. Doesn't really require a degree pursay as much as just knowledge of the software and understanding of how it works.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  20. #15045
    \_(ツ)_/ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
    Like Ygduf, I've submitted documents which my supervisors would 'clean up' and turn it to garbage. Some of them feel obligated to edit something, adding clutter. Getting into management around here is more about who yells the loudest, not silly things like grammar.
    I occasionally edit our newsletters too, where the content is sent to me and I get to trim it up and fix it. I once took 1500 words on bed lofting (not even kidding) down to 250!

    These same people are also so technologically backwards that they come to me for help with excel (I just google "how-to xyz" if I don't know) and outlook stuff like "why is my inbox sorting by sender?"

    I'm torn between advocating for competent peers or just enjoying the job security.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  21. #15046
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    No kidding. When I'm up early to ride, it's 4:15.
    My early rides consist of being up by ~4:45, out the door by 5:15, and at the meet-up spot by 5:45. I'm finally getting the hang of being in bed by 9:30-10pm on those days.
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

  22. #15047
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandro View Post
    What sort of stuff are you working on in the GIS space?
    I work for a software company that develops application for gas/oil pipeline management. I deploy and implement our software to the clients. Everything is based on ESRI technology. I mainly work with ArcGIS Server/SDE, SQL Server or Oracle, and Windows Server stuff these days since our main application is web based.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  23. #15048
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I support our vets, and believe everyone deserves a second chance for some mistakes in life, if you plead guilty to raping a thirteen year old after you were discharged from the military, do not claim veterans preference when applying for a job.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  24. #15049
    \_(ツ)_/ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    While I support our vets, and believe everyone deserves a second chance for some mistakes in life, if you plead guilty to raping a thirteen year old after you were discharged from the military, do not claim veterans preference when applying for a job.
    Don't be crazy. Those guys are HEROS.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  25. #15050
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandro View Post
    My early rides consist of being up by ~4:45, out the door by 5:15, and at the meet-up spot by 5:45. I'm finally getting the hang of being in bed by 9:30-10pm on those days.
    I was in bed last night at 10, woke up at 7. 4:45? Ain't nobody got time for that.

    With the time change over the weekend I was hoping that it was going to get light early enough to ride a couple hours before work, but it's still dark until 7 or so. Stupid winter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •