Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 650 of 1000 FirstFirst ... 150550600640648649650651652660700750 ... LastLast
Results 16,226 to 16,250 of 24978
  1. #16226
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,168
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    Not taking one side or the other, just a starter kit for people looking into this:

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adr...atigue/AN01583
    Interesting.
    This time of year is my most stressful time work-wise, add to that issues at home, among others, and boom, I'm done like dinner...
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  2. #16227
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interpreting the subtext:

    "HTFU, Holly Hobby. ****'s rough all over."

  3. #16228
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,359
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    Is it a condition/race based wheel selector where every answer is "Open Pro"?
    Exactly.

    v2 will answer the question, "Should I be in the drops??"
    cat 1.

    blog

  4. #16229
    Senior Member Wesley36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    Not taking one side or the other, just a starter kit for people looking into this:

    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adr...atigue/AN01583
    I am generally on the fence about adrenal fatigue, but I will say that I have trouble believing that one can limitlessly pump a powerful hormone like adrenaline through the body without any long-term consequences. That seems implausible to me, but then again, I am not a physician.

    However, the main thing that occurred to me was this - is the author not setting an unrealistically high standard for whether adrenal fatigue exists? Could it be that some such phenomenon exists, but operates through mechanisms that we have not considered? Perhaps it is not detectable in a blood test, but it causes wear and tear in other ways? Consider how much of a mystery fatigue itself still is (with Noakes and the central governor theory at the forefront at the moment), and the concrete mechanisms for evaluating fatigue rather than asking "how tired do you feel?" Maybe I am just showing ignorance here, but do scientists evaluate fatigue in studies by blood tests, or some variant of RPE?

  5. #16230
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Interesting.
    This time of year is my most stressful time work-wise, add to that issues at home, among others, and boom, I'm done like dinner...
    What's your caffeine intake? Isn't it quite a bit?

    I think some can be a good thing, but I also think it can be overdone which puts a toll on the adrenals. When you have to jump-start yourself several times a day with caffeine because of poor/limited sleep, that can be a recipe for disaster.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  6. #16231
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,168
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    What's your caffeine intake? Isn't it quite a bit?

    I think some can be a good thing, but I also think it can be overdone which puts a toll on the adrenals. When you have to jump-start yourself several times a day with caffeine because of poor/limited sleep, that can be a recipe for disaster.
    Let's just leave it at high
    Throw in my pre-workout drinks which use caffeine and a bunch of other **** and watch out something's gonna give.
    Factor in getting up at 3:45 am and in bed by 10, a super stressful workplace and other stressors and the body is gonna to cause you some issues.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  7. #16232
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,667
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Let's just leave it at high
    Throw in my pre-workout drinks which use caffeine and a bunch of other **** and watch out something's gonna give.
    Factor in getting up at 3:45 am and in bed by 10, a super stressful workplace and other stressors and the body is gonna to cause you some issues.
    As long as the hands don't shake...thats my rule

  8. #16233
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,346
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
    However, the main thing that occurred to me was this - is the author not setting an unrealistically high standard for whether adrenal fatigue exists? Could it be that some such phenomenon exists, but operates through mechanisms that we have not considered?
    The author is saying that there's no detection mechanism or existing diagnosis for something that some people claim exists, based on a symptom list that has numerous medical diagnosis and is treated in a variety of ways.

    I feel tired and I blame it on extraterrestrials who are vacuuming my harmonic force. The medical establishment doesn't have the right instruments and knowledge to detect this. But I take this drink mix to create a vacuum shield and stop doing bad things and start eating well to strengthen my antiharmonies and I feel better.

    The premise of course, sounds nutty. The result though, might be pretty good.

    But substitute adrenal fatigue for ET and, because it sounds reasonable, people buy into it. And if they follow the "eat better and stop doing bad things" they feel better. And I made 3x the profit on some Metamucil.

    That's not to say either ET or adrenal fatigue doesn't exist. Or that taking a couple of good dumps won't make you feel better. Or that the premise might not be reasonable. But it is saying that people are funny in buying into an underlying cause that can't be proven rather than just accepting that they were under a lot of stress, and/or eating like crap and not taking care of themselves.
    Last edited by Racer Ex; 12-06-13 at 11:58 AM.

  9. #16234
    »\_(ツ)_/» Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    6,047
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take vit b12 and I feel like crap by my fingernails look great.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  10. #16235
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,930
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ex nailed it. There are numerous, more parsimonious explanations for the symptoms attributed to adrenal fatigue that are known to be based in fact. Nothing can ever be ruled out entirely, and parsimony is not a perfect guide, but science has generally done better by hewing to it than not.

  11. #16236
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,168
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Ex nailed it. There are numerous, more parsimonious explanations for the symptoms attributed to adrenal fatigue that are known to be based in fact. Nothing can ever be ruled out entirely, and parsimony is not a perfect guide, but science has generally done better by hewing to it than not.
    What I know is this:
    A week ago I felt like ****, no energy, no drive, sleeping all the time, training was terrible, etc.
    Started this adrenal cleanse thingy and four days in feeling great, haven't done a weight workout using pre-workout drink all week, feel and look better.
    Placebo effect? Maybe. Regardless of what it cost me for this stuff I feel better and that is what counts
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  12. #16237
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,109
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  13. #16238
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,168
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    **** - I have that too.....
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  14. #16239
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,107
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    The author is saying that there's no detection mechanism or existing diagnosis for something that some people claim exists, based on a symptom list that has numerous medical diagnosis and is treated in a variety of ways.

    I feel tired and I blame it on extraterrestrials who are vacuuming my harmonic force. The medical establishment doesn't have the right instruments and knowledge to detect this. But I take this drink mix to create a vacuum shield and stop doing bad things and start eating well to strengthen my antiharmonies and I feel better.

    The premise of course, sounds nutty. The result though, might be pretty good.

    But substitute adrenal fatigue for ET and, because it sounds reasonable, people buy into it. And if they follow the "eat better and stop doing bad things" they feel better. And I made 3x the profit on some Metamucil.

    That's not to say either ET or adrenal fatigue doesn't exist. Or that taking a couple of good dumps won't make you feel better. Or that the premise might not be reasonable. But it is saying that people are funny in buying into an underlying cause that can't be proven rather than just accepting that they were under a lot of stress, and/or eating like crap and not taking care of themselves.
    Jump to 20:00:

  15. #16240
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,107
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why I remember crap like that from my childhood, but can't remember why I'm standing in the pantry is beyond me.

  16. #16241
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    15,797
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Sounds like my daughter a few weeks ago ... ok , not exactly the same, but all kinds of anxiety based ailments...... sore feet, wanting to go to the chiropractor, legs that "don't work properly ..."
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  17. #16242
    Ninny globecanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Gunks
    Posts
    1,445
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, Miss Jane was hot.

  18. #16243
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,107
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She was just acting ugly


  19. #16244
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,930
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got an $1100 ambulance bill from my clavicle break hospital trip yesterday. Says my insurance company rejected the claim because I "was not eligible on that date." F that, that makes no sense. So now I've got the delightful experience of jumping through hoops to talk to my health insurance company and get them to reverse that on Monday. I just can't believe it. Multi-thousand dollar surgery and appointments covered with nothing more than office visit co-pays (and an ER co-pay), but somehow they're putting me on the hook for an ambulance ride? Sheesh. The amount of work it takes to deal with healthcare is just unbelievable sometimes.

  20. #16245
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Why I remember crap like that from my childhood, but can't remember why I'm standing in the pantry is beyond me.
    I can still quote MASH lines and I haven't seen an episode in 15 years. Perfect clip, though....worth remembering.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  21. #16246
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Got an $1100 ambulance bill from my clavicle break hospital trip yesterday. Says my insurance company rejected the claim because I "was not eligible on that date." F that, that makes no sense. So now I've got the delightful experience of jumping through hoops to talk to my health insurance company and get them to reverse that on Monday. I just can't believe it. Multi-thousand dollar surgery and appointments covered with nothing more than office visit co-pays (and an ER co-pay), but somehow they're putting me on the hook for an ambulance ride? Sheesh. The amount of work it takes to deal with healthcare is just unbelievable sometimes.
    When I had my ambulance trip in 2010 it turned out I simply didn't have ambulance coverage. Ended up on the hook for $900.

  22. #16247
    No matches Flatballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    two wheeled ones
    Posts
    10,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you miss me? No? Figures.

    Looks like I've missed a couple thousand posts, no time to catch up. Been busy with work and stuff. It looks like I dropped off a couple weeks before my PE exam. Well, I just got my results Thursday, and I passed! I'm now an official Professional Engineer. Feels good. Haven't actually ridden my bike in a long time. Gained a lot of weight. Time to get back to riding and get in shape for next year.

    How is everyone? All good I hope?
    It's a bike race, not a tea party. - GirlAnachronism

  23. #16248
    Killing Rabbits
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,698
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats fb.

  24. #16249
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
    Did you miss me? No? Figures.

    Looks like I've missed a couple thousand posts, no time to catch up. Been busy with work and stuff. It looks like I dropped off a couple weeks before my PE exam. Well, I just got my results Thursday, and I passed! I'm now an official Professional Engineer. Feels good. Haven't actually ridden my bike in a long time. Gained a lot of weight. Time to get back to riding and get in shape for next year.

    How is everyone? All good I hope?
    Congrats and welcome back.

    You haven't missed much. Ex taught people how to be in the drops, Gary said a few sentences, I got a sinus infection, waki still doesn't ride his bike, and jsut can form coherent sentences on occasion. Lots of people are doing base work but can't agree on what 'base' means. Happy holidays

    Oh and people are talking about the bad weather.
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

  25. #16250
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatballer View Post
    Well, I just got my results Thursday, and I passed! I'm now an official Professional Engineer.
    Really impressive. Well done!
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •