Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List
gsteinb, MDcatV, Racer Ex 

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-14, 03:12 PM   #17526
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
And for all the "Support Our Troops" bumper sticker sales and pablum laced propaganda politicians would rather cut your pension than give up a weapons system nobody needs.
And heaven forbid any of the men and women coming back broken get the VA health services they require.
waterrockets is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 03:34 PM   #17527
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
In some cases.

On the other hand it can screw you up for life; the guys I served with who came back from Nam were, in the majority, pretty altered. As are more than a few of the kids coming back from our latest "Adventures in Places We Don't Really Get".

Sign on the line and you're basically a warm body that they can do with as they please; don't think you're exempted from being sent to somewhere to be shot at despite what the recruiter is going to tell you. And for all the "Support Our Troops" bumper sticker sales and pablum laced propaganda politicians would rather cut your pension than give up a weapons system nobody needs.

That said you get to throw hand grenades and shoot cool guns, and if you're lucky throw tear gas at people and fly around in *****in helicopters with guys who like to hover over topless sunbathers on house boats. At least I did.
I owe quite a bit to the USMC. I bounced around from home to home and really was not raised by parents, and they did a great job of filling that gap. Not everyone needs it but many do. Luckily nothing bad happened to me, or my other fellow Marines I went in with, (knocks on wood).
furiousferret is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 03:57 PM   #17528
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,268
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
CX should be int he winter Olympics.
No thanks.
grolby is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 04:27 PM   #17529
Ygduf 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,396
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
No thanks.
if you're turning it down, there are probably other guys who will step up.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is online now  
Old 01-07-14, 04:30 PM   #17530
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Well, I can't see my 17 year old daughter going in the military, or to trade school ..... Some kind of "gap year" might be worthwhile if we can devise something productive.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 04:46 PM   #17531
Ygduf 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,396
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
Ironically, the prison system is privatized, and there's quite a bit of public clamoring to reverse that.
that's because caging humans in a for-profit scheme is both theoretically rife with moral hazard and demonstrably rife with the corruption and inhumane situations produced by that very moral hazard.

prisons take a poor person (worth little in terms of spending power) and vest them with $50k value (paid for by you and me, btw) to the prison complex, as long as we, you know, don't mind taking away their humanity.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is online now  
Old 01-07-14, 05:32 PM   #17532
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Bikes:
Posts: 20,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
Well, I can't see my 17 year old daughter going in the military, or to trade school ..... Some kind of "gap year" might be worthwhile if we can devise something productive.
City year.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 06:52 PM   #17533
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
City year.
I'll check it out.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 06:54 PM   #17534
hammy56
coffee-stained punk
 
hammy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
No thanks.
hammy56 is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 07:24 PM   #17535
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,487
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
And computer science and software, by the way, aren't actually growing faster than the rest of the economy in terms of jobs.
Say what? IT unemployment in my area (Hartford CT/Springfield MA) ranges from 4% for entry level to 1% or less for highly skilled positions. I am trying to get a SharePoint designer for a temporary maternity leave situation...good luck. There are a dozen full time SP openings in the region that are unfilled. I am also looking for a systems analyst with strong business reporting skills. I see lots of resumes. They fall into two camps. One set get paid market salaries but their depth is weak in core skills and do not have the education to back it up. The others are well educated, with 2-3 years of experience and are demanding $20K-$30K above market salaries. It's crazy out here trying to hire people. I hear the same thing in Boston. One of my guys decided to relocate to Phoenix, and got a job within a week paying market salaries. There has been an IT resource shortage for years now. It started with the dot com generation, accelerated with the IT outsourcing trend, and morphed into "the company owns you 24/7" mindset that exists today. The collateral damage was that what was once an attractive college major with great opportunities has been shunned by those seeking a more normal lifestyle. Couple all that with visa restrictions, and we're in the mess we're in today. The shortage is real, and it's not getting better anytime soon.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 08:08 PM   #17536
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,713
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Say what? IT unemployment in my area (Hartford CT/Springfield MA) ranges from 4% for entry level to 1% or less for highly skilled positions. I am trying to get a SharePoint designer for a temporary maternity leave situation...good luck. There are a dozen full time SP openings in the region that are unfilled. I am also looking for a systems analyst with strong business reporting skills. I see lots of resumes. They fall into two camps. One set get paid market salaries but their depth is weak in core skills and do not have the education to back it up. The others are well educated, with 2-3 years of experience and are demanding $20K-$30K above market salaries. It's crazy out here trying to hire people. I hear the same thing in Boston. One of my guys decided to relocate to Phoenix, and got a job within a week paying market salaries. There has been an IT resource shortage for years now. It started with the dot com generation, accelerated with the IT outsourcing trend, and morphed into "the company owns you 24/7" mindset that exists today. The collateral damage was that what was once an attractive college major with great opportunities has been shunned by those seeking a more normal lifestyle. Couple all that with visa restrictions, and we're in the mess we're in today. The shortage is real, and it's not getting better anytime soon.
What are your expectations for education ?? I think there are plenty of us with very little IT related education (or much education at all), but a lot of real world experience at solving problems and getting things done.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 08:22 PM   #17537
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
CX should be int he winter Olympics.
if you're going to add cross, you might as well as add beer drinking, frites eating, and riding bikes in silly costumes events.
botto is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 08:45 PM   #17538
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,436
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I've probably looked at a thousand resumes in various technology related fields. When I look at a resume I don't care at all about formal education. Some of the most brilliant people I've ever worked with were dropouts, including some people who are considered practically deities in their fields.

What I care about is that the candidate is smart, eager to learn and work, and has a sense of who they are. Smarts and character are everything.

Not to say that education is useless, but IMO a hypothetical career pathway is not the correct motivation for education. A compelling desire to learn is the correct motivation.

However, I know that very few HR and admissions departments think this way. A friend who is a coach at an ivy league college says that they have some strict numerical guidelines for GPA and such, and if you're below the line your application is canned before anyone even reads the rest of it. At a company of any size, the person doing the first pass over the resumes won't be the person managing the eventual hire, so there will probably be some quantitative lines in the sand and if you don't have X education and Y experience, your potential future coworkers will never even know you exist.

But I still come down on the side of following the path that best interests you, rather than the one that you think might best interest some potential employer.
globecanvas is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 08:54 PM   #17539
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,487
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
What are your expectations for education ?? I think there are plenty of us with very little IT related education (or much education at all), but a lot of real world experience at solving problems and getting things done.
BS in CS, Engineering or Math. It's not that those without it are not smart or capable. Many are. It's just when we drill down and ask the hard questions, the lack of depth shows. This has just been my experience with the two dozen or so candidates I have interviewed lately.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 09:08 PM   #17540
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,739
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Published another iOS app today, this one shows you race videos from steephill.tv. (download)

Fwiw it's not just a rehash of the content from the site, it resizes some of it to make it easier to view on a mobile device, and allows the videos to play in the background (doesn't seem possible with mobile Safari).

Feedback appreciated!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 09:37 PM   #17541
wanders
going roundy round
 
wanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: High Point, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
if you're going to add cross, you might as well as add beer drinking, frites eating, and riding bikes in silly costumes events.
I thought those were pretty much covered with curling, power lifting, and dressage.
wanders is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 09:58 PM   #17542
echappist 
fuggitivo solitario
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 8,790
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
well done
echappist is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 10:12 PM   #17543
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,268
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Say what? IT unemployment in my area (Hartford CT/Springfield MA) ranges from 4% for entry level to 1% or less for highly skilled positions. I am trying to get a SharePoint designer for a temporary maternity leave situation...good luck. There are a dozen full time SP openings in the region that are unfilled. I am also looking for a systems analyst with strong business reporting skills. I see lots of resumes. They fall into two camps. One set get paid market salaries but their depth is weak in core skills and do not have the education to back it up. The others are well educated, with 2-3 years of experience and are demanding $20K-$30K above market salaries. It's crazy out here trying to hire people. I hear the same thing in Boston. One of my guys decided to relocate to Phoenix, and got a job within a week paying market salaries. There has been an IT resource shortage for years now. It started with the dot com generation, accelerated with the IT outsourcing trend, and morphed into "the company owns you 24/7" mindset that exists today. The collateral damage was that what was once an attractive college major with great opportunities has been shunned by those seeking a more normal lifestyle. Couple all that with visa restrictions, and we're in the mess we're in today. The shortage is real, and it's not getting better anytime soon.
Then I'm hearing conflicting things. Maybe it's IT vs. software development. Maybe (MAYBE) I have no idea WTF I'm talking about. It's happened before.
grolby is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 10:20 PM   #17544
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,268
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
When we (me and my wife, fiancée at the time) moved up to the Boston area last July, we moved into my grandmother's house and having been living upstairs in the spare room since. It's been pretty great, she's very easy to live with and it's hard to beat a rent of $0, but obviously we need a place of our own. So the plan was always to find jobs, stay for a while and save up at least a little bit of money, then go and find ourselves an apartment of our own.

This evening we took a look at a nice little one bedroom. In our price range (just), acceptable size, high ceilings, heat and hot water included, great location, no undergraduate renters, allows cats. We like it. We're going to sleep on it and nothing is 100%, but I think we might have found ourself our place. Pretty excited about it.
grolby is offline  
Old 01-07-14, 11:33 PM   #17545
Inquisitor.
Senior Member
 
Inquisitor.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Published another iOS app today, this one shows you race videos from steephill.tv. (download)

Fwiw it's not just a rehash of the content from the site, it resizes some of it to make it easier to view on a mobile device, and allows the videos to play in the background (doesn't seem possible with mobile Safari).

Feedback appreciated!
I downloaded the app, and it seems very cool. I wish I had it while I was deployed. I'll definitely let you know what I think after I use it more. Thanks Matt.
Inquisitor. is offline  
Old 01-08-14, 12:28 AM   #17546
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,526
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto View Post
if you're going to add cross, you might as well as add beer drinking, frites eating, and riding bikes in silly costumes events.
You mean luge and curling?
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 01-08-14, 06:21 AM   #17547
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Bikes: two wheeled ones
Posts: 10,651
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Exhausted. In to work at 5 AM again today, then I catch a train at 6:15 AM tomorrow to travel for work, back home about 9 PM. At least I get Friday off for all my work this week, and hopefully can leave around 10:30 today since I worked so much yesterday.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 01-08-14, 07:06 AM   #17548
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,057
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
That said you get to throw hand grenades and shoot cool guns, and if you're lucky throw tear gas at people and fly around in *****in helicopters with guys who like to hover over topless sunbathers on house boats. At least I did.
Just north of Atlanta used to Dobbins AFB/Naval Reserve Station. Many years ago, there used to be a high-end strip club located just a few hundred yards from the end of the runway, and this particular club had an outdoor patio and pool. The dancers often would spend their days working on their tans at the pool.

This became a problem when the pilots would come in to land, turn the plan sideways so they could check out the girls and then straighten out just before landing. According to a friend, who worked at the Lockheed facility there, they had a couple of near misses because of it.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 01-08-14, 07:39 AM   #17549
kensuf
My idea of fun
 
kensuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
Posts: 9,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Say what? IT unemployment in my area (Hartford CT/Springfield MA) ranges from 4% for entry level to 1% or less for highly skilled positions. I am trying to get a SharePoint designer for a temporary maternity leave situation...good luck. There are a dozen full time SP openings in the region that are unfilled. I am also looking for a systems analyst with strong business reporting skills. I see lots of resumes. They fall into two camps. One set get paid market salaries but their depth is weak in core skills and do not have the education to back it up. The others are well educated, with 2-3 years of experience and are demanding $20K-$30K above market salaries. It's crazy out here trying to hire people. I hear the same thing in Boston. One of my guys decided to relocate to Phoenix, and got a job within a week paying market salaries. There has been an IT resource shortage for years now. It started with the dot com generation, accelerated with the IT outsourcing trend, and morphed into "the company owns you 24/7" mindset that exists today. The collateral damage was that what was once an attractive college major with great opportunities has been shunned by those seeking a more normal lifestyle. Couple all that with visa restrictions, and we're in the mess we're in today. The shortage is real, and it's not getting better anytime soon.
I tend to agree with this assessment. Even finding an entry level desktop support tech that is worth a damn can be a chore.
kensuf is offline  
Old 01-08-14, 07:52 AM   #17550
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
When we (me and my wife, fiancée at the time) moved up to the Boston area last July, we moved into my grandmother's house and having been living upstairs in the spare room since. It's been pretty great, she's very easy to live with and it's hard to beat a rent of $0, but obviously we need a place of our own. So the plan was always to find jobs, stay for a while and save up at least a little bit of money, then go and find ourselves an apartment of our own.

This evening we took a look at a nice little one bedroom. In our price range (just), acceptable size, high ceilings, heat and hot water included, great location, no undergraduate renters, allows cats. We like it. We're going to sleep on it and nothing is 100%, but I think we might have found ourself our place. Pretty excited about it.
What the ****? You got married?
rkwaki is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.