Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 189 of 519 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239289 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 12975
  1. #4701
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    Both. Works for me. I want to know where I am and then get another informed opinion. I am a slave to neither.
    Same.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  2. #4702
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin View Post
    Nah, there's a couple of hills around here of that steepness. There's even one that avg's 16+% for 1k. I'd do that one more often, but the back side of it is the worst dirt you can imagine, and I sure as hell don't want to descend back down that wall after climbing up it, so I save it as a once and a while treat.
    We have a half-mile hill like that here. The descent is winding, and they textured it so 2WD residents have at least a chance of getting home when it's wet. I finally convinced a training partner to ride down it. He got going so fast on the texture that it rattled his bottle out of the cage. It took him about 100m to stop. As he turned around to climb back up to it, it sailed by him at about 20mph and continued down the hill.

    I actually enjoy descending it, and feeling the heat on the front wheel when I get to the bottom. Hmm. I also end up replacing front wheels only when the brake track wears out...

  3. #4703
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3,1,3,1,3,1 intervals all at max last night. Hit solid numbers, paced them great, bout 5.75 w/kg for 3mins/7.35 w/kg for 1min.

    But man I was hurting afterwards. Felt like I got dropped in a race but just from the intervals. Barely was able to hold z2 after. I need to go this hard more often. I think recently I've been pacing my intervals too good and holding back on the first couple too much, and like slamming almost PRs for the last 1 or 2. But I think this will be much better for me as I think my recovery from efforts like these are my weakness.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  4. #4704
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    3,1,3,1,3,1 intervals all at max last night. Hit solid numbers, paced them great, bout 5.75 w/kg for 3mins/7.35 w/kg for 1min.

    But man I was hurting afterwards. Felt like I got dropped in a race but just from the intervals. Barely was able to hold z2 after. I need to go this hard more often. I think recently I've been pacing my intervals too good and holding back on the first couple too much, and like slamming almost PRs for the last 1 or 2. But I think this will be much better for me as I think my recovery from efforts like these are my weakness.
    Wait, 1' intervals, maxed and paced?


  5. #4705
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Wait, 1' intervals, maxed and paced?

    Haha. Yeah. Max intensity but not necessarily all out pr setters. I do them seated at what I approximate I can do for that time period multiple times, so I don't blow up after the first interval. These were done at 155% of FTP, so no slouch, but about 100w under my max.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  6. #4706
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Haha. Yeah. Max intensity but not necessarily all out pr setters. I do them seated at what I approximate I can do for that time period multiple times, so I don't blow up after the first interval. These were done at 155% of FTP, so no slouch, but about 100w under my max.
    I see, so the maximum power that you would be able to hold for the duration. Should we come up with an acronym for that? Maximal Paced Power? MPP. That would probably be ideal for a threshold test result, but not fastest for a TT. Not ideal for a 1' test, not ideal for kilo speed, but good for 1' intervals.

  7. #4707
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might have to cancel my coaching services for a few months while I get some money saved up for an upcoming move. Going to try to self-coach with Friel's book in the meantime.
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  8. #4708
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    I see, so the maximum power that you would be able to hold for the duration. Should we come up with an acronym for that? Maximal Paced Power? MPP. That would probably be ideal for a threshold test result, but not fastest for a TT. Not ideal for a 1' test, not ideal for kilo speed, but good for 1' intervals.
    Yeah I'm pretty much just trying to train recovery and anerobic capacity. The 3' really is on the edge of VO2 and makes me dig deep near the end, also paced at about 5MMP levels. With 2 minute recoveries, you whimper home by the end, even pacing the 1 minuters.

    On a side note, I have a problem "pacing" my TTs too good, kinda similar to what you said. If I've been training good I know I can hit 320w or something, and I go out and do a TT and I can pace it at exactly 320w. Sometimes this is OK, but I think I often leave a lot out there. I'm still getting top 25% of P12 TTs, so I'm not doing bad, but something I need to work on next year. I'm too good at pacing and too reliant on the powermeter sometimes and may hold back too much.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  9. #4709
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty much just trying to train recovery and anerobic capacity. The 3' really is on the edge of VO2 and makes me dig deep near the end, also paced at about 5MMP levels. With 2 minute recoveries, you whimper home by the end, even pacing the 1 minuters.

    On a side note, I have a problem "pacing" my TTs too good, kinda similar to what you said. If I've been training good I know I can hit 320w or something, and I go out and do a TT and I can pace it at exactly 320w. Sometimes this is OK, but I think I often leave a lot out there. I'm still getting top 25% of P12 TTs, so I'm not doing bad, but something I need to work on next year. I'm too good at pacing and too reliant on the powermeter sometimes and may hold back too much.
    Well, the other trick on the TT stuff is to go a bit hard when it's harder (hills, headwind), and recover a bit when it's not. That will lower your average power and bump speed.

  10. #4710
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a session of those intervals too. This was Monday's workout - 8x2 then 10x1. With me being old and slow I was only able to do 5.3w/kg and 6.6w/kg on mine. Tried to keep them at >135% for the 2 min and > 140% for the 1 min. Those intervals trashed my legs though. If it wasn't for the group ride last night I would have just cruised around in z1, I was feeling it!

  11. #4711
    Not actually Tmonk TMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    caad9, capo (fixed), centurion dave scott 10sp, dolan pre cursa (track)
    Posts
    6,436
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2hrs on the fixed gear today, 42/18t, hilly route. keeping those rpm's up. No HRM. If I was to guess I would say I averaged mid z2.

    perfect morning-after-track / late season JRA kinda ride.

    /feelsgoodman.jpeg
    "Your beauty is an aeroplane;
    so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste

  12. #4712
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2hrs in off and on downpours. The plan was for 30min tempo, but when I reviewed my file looks like I did 60min. Guess trying to outrun T-storm cells does that to you...
    "On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx

  13. #4713
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    7,105
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting stuck back in. 2x20 Z3 on the trainer last night (one step at a time!). First one was really hard, I felt better for the second one. Wednesday Night Super Prestige cyclocross training tonight. Went pretty good. Happy. Tired.

  14. #4714
    \_(ツ)_/ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    6,403
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, that reminded me. I was feeling bad for having a couple down weeks from a vacation and then the crashing, but your post reminded me that in 8 weeks most everyone else will be stuck indoors all winter and I can overcompensate with a few thousand miles of glorious 50f norcal winter.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  15. #4715
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't remind me!

    Then again a nice set of lights can prolong the outdoor adventures...
    "On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx

  16. #4716
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't think this was possible but after coming over a bump yesterday out of the woods in CX, my seatpost carbon sheared and I could feel the whole post rocking back and forth. Called it a night after 45mins because when I lowered the seatpost past the breaking point it was too low for my fit.
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  17. #4717
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    oh, that reminded me. I was feeling bad for having a couple down weeks from a vacation and then the crashing, but your post reminded me that in 8 weeks most everyone else will be stuck indoors all winter and I can overcompensate with a few thousand miles of glorious 50f norcal winter.
    +1
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

  18. #4718
    VeloSIRraptor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,365
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    weaponing up for tonight at the track - espresso style.

    Cat2 upgrade or blow up,
    bonus difficulty: it's Kierin night, so I've got fewer chances to do my thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    If it comes down to a field sprint, you probably won't win, so don't let it.

  19. #4719
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,614
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck dude! Is tonight the last chance?

    Track points expire at the end of the season right?? That'd be a shame..
    cat 1.

    blog

  20. #4720
    VeloSIRraptor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,365
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's theoretically one more week at the end of Sept I could hit - but between good chance of rain and flying back from nats a couple days before... I certainly don't want to count on it.

    Track: I'd lose 1/2 the points, that's a bunch of podiums against key'ed up early season sprinters that I'd have to go get in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    If it comes down to a field sprint, you probably won't win, so don't let it.

  21. #4721
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threw the towel in for the season. I've not bounced back from my rest week last week. Tired/fatigued, having trouble holding power, and just having a bad week or two. Started racing in February so not too bad overall. Just kinda sucks because I finally just built back up after my injury during the summer and was getting form back. But I think that build up caught up to me.

    Gonna take a few weeks off the bike, then relax and start building towards 2014. Hopefully I just don't burnout next season starting the build in early october!
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  22. #4722
    :p Harun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    bay area
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hida Yanra View Post
    Track: I'd lose 1/2 the points, that's a bunch of podiums against key'ed up early season sprinters that I'd have to go get in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Track points expire at the end of the season right?? That'd be a shame..
    NVCA rules say from the date of a race, upgrade points are only halved after 12 months, and expire after 24 months from the date of that race. Don't know about other velodrome orgs but it might be worth it to check out for peace of mind.

    I'm kind of in the same boat (only a couple points from my 2 track upgrade), but started up too late and ran out of races. Nice thing is usac track starts again here in April so I'll be hitting the 'drome hard in about six months....

  23. #4723
    Senior Member spectastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    undisclosed
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    1,979
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so running is supposed to be a more intense cardio workout. how do you guys integrate running into your routine?>

  24. #4724
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    so running is supposed to be a more intense cardio workout. how do you guys integrate running into your routine?>
    my knees/calves/quads/hams feel thrashed after I run. I try not to
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  25. #4725
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knee finally felt pretty good again to where I can ride normally and not worry about it too much, feels like its at 95% again. I swear I am never MTB'ing without knee pads ever again!
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •