Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 296 of 494 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306346396 ... LastLast
Results 7,376 to 7,400 of 12326
  1. #7376
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,490
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
    Either way no one judges me
    Think again!

    The 33 will always find a way.. =]
    cat 1.

    blog

  2. #7377
    Elite Fred mollusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Edge City
    My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Posts
    10,640
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    I've gotten passed by grandma's on the local MUP during recovery rides. I also have older guys race me on beach cruisers thinking they have a chance when I'm doing 100w. Hurts the epeen. Pays off in the races.
    I have blown past Phil Gaimon (recently picked up Garmin-Sharp rider) scores of times on my local MUP. I never thought it meant anything other than he was on a really easy ride and my ride wasn't.

    He is a super nice guy, BTW.

    He likes cookies, but he knows what really good ones taste like.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

  3. #7378
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had planned on a set of 2x20's at lunch so of course I had to spend my lunch hour working on a memo for my boss. Meh.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  4. #7379
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    I hit the lap button for every interval I'm doing. So if I do 10mins on and 3 mins off, I hit the lap button throughout. I sometimes hit the lap button if I'm riding solo and then join up with a group later just so later I can track my effort on the group ride. Preference I guess. My buddy just looks at the time and goes off of that and doesnt bother hitting lap.
    I just memorize the start time for the first interval. It's pretty obvious where they start in Training Peaks, anyway. Tonight was the last ride in a recovery week, and the workout was 3x5' high Z4 intervals, with five minutes RBI, within a 1:12 endurance ride (was supposed to 1:30, forgot my water so I shortened it). First interval was at the 20:00 point, and the graph shows it clearly.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  5. #7380
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,344
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
    I just memorize the start time for the first interval. It's pretty obvious where they start in Training Peaks, anyway. Tonight was the last ride in a recovery week, and the workout was 3x5' high Z4 intervals, with five minutes RBI, within a 1:12 endurance ride (was supposed to 1:30, forgot my water so I shortened it). First interval was at the 20:00 point, and the graph shows it clearly.
    yeah whatever works, lots of software now adays will analyze it for you too.
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  6. #7381
    Not actually Tmonk TMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    caad9, capo (fixed), centurion dave scott 10sp, dolan pre cursa (track)
    Posts
    6,369
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EZ lunch hr on the mtb tomorrow, 4 hrs of the highest z2 I can handle on sat!!!!
    "Your beauty is an aeroplane;
    so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste

  7. #7382
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got in my hour-plus of chilled riding at the end of the day. Just worked on spinning and didn't really worry about watts. I feel like things are kinda coming around.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  8. #7383
    You blink and it's gone. rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dundas, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.
    Posts
    4,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2hrs with a bit of endurance, tempo and a couple simulated climbing repeats...
    "On the other hand riding down a hill at 55 MPH wearing (essentially) women's underwear and a Styrofoam cup on your head is the epitome of rational life-extending decisions." - RacerEx

  9. #7384
    Senior Member aaronmcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
    Posts
    1,479
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blah. Was going to do some riding tonight. Flat tire at work, changed it, checked the tire. Another flat on the way home - so that's why the front tire was being difficult on my short sprints. No more spares. Walked a mile, wife picked me up, stopped at LBS, bought a few tubes, went home changed the tube again. found a small rock buried in the rubber. Finally got around to oiling my chain.

  10. #7385
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,368
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60' HR Zone 3/4 and a couple of jumps afterward

  11. #7386
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd ride this week of ZCI's in the low 40's and pouring rain. Next week is a forced recovery week for work travel, so no excuses this week... but I'm feeling rode hard and put away wet.

  12. #7387
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh View Post
    2nd ride this week of ZCI's in the low 40's and pouring rain. Next week is a forced recovery week for work travel, so no excuses this week... but I'm feeling rode hard and put away wet.
    The only thing worse than that is low 30s and pouring rain. Respect.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  13. #7388
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,669
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    Re the workouts function on Garmin. Just make sure to give yourself a big enough margin on each side of your target wattage or it will spend the whole time beeping at you.
    Aint that the truth! I adjusted my FTP range by a few % while programming my workout into garmin. Still got annoying beeps here and there but I think will really help me. Thanks to all for the hints and workout tricks for the garmin!


    2hrs 65-80%FTP warmup with high cadence...basey

  14. #7389
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
    Blah. Was going to do some riding tonight. Flat tire at work, changed it, checked the tire. Another flat on the way home - so that's why the front tire was being difficult on my short sprints. No more spares. Walked a mile, wife picked me up, stopped at LBS, bought a few tubes, went home changed the tube again. found a small rock buried in the rubber. Finally got around to oiling my chain.


    Find the hole, then find the reason for the hole and correct it. Sand the tube, apply glue, lay it on your bike. Let the glue dry while you install the new tube and the wheel. Press the patch on and stow the repaired tube. The repair won't cost you more than an additional minute. Even with my frame pump, I can get this done before my LYC goes to sleep, and if you're single, I'll bet you can pump a tire up faster than me anyway. I patch tubes until 10 patches or overlapping patches.

  15. #7390
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    4,000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WR - I've only made to five patches on a tube, bent the teat on the end of the presta valve core and had to ditch the tube. Deepest sand wash I've ever been through on a road race.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  16. #7391
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only made it to 10 twice, I think. Usually I end up with overlapping patches around 5 patches in -- thinking the slight bump from a previous patch puts up more opposing force for glass to get through the tire there. Needless to say, I only rarely buy tubes.

  17. #7392
    Pedal Warrior Specialized2k10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Allez with SRAM Force gruppo
    Posts
    486
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You find that patched tubes don't hold air as long as non patched tubes or am I doing it wrong? For example, when I've used a patched tube in a tire I have to pump the tire before each ride and the psi is around 60-70 over night. A non patched allows me to go around 2-3 days without pumping air.
    2011 BMC Team Machine SLR01

    2005 Specialized FSR XC

  18. #7393
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did today's session and was a bit dejected that it felt hard. Downloaded the file and noticed that it was hard, so I felt better about that.

  19. #7394
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,873
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rough week for me; haven't found the time to train due to a ton of other obligations. This is why I don't do recovery weeks. At least once every 6 weeks or so I'll have a period where my training is off. In the past I had too many blocks where I'd finish my recovery week, then a have busy work week or illness, and suddenly its 2 weeks wasted.

    The good thing is I had a solid weekend, and since we had a hard drive crash at 5 am I get to go home early and catch a few hours of daylight.
    judging from what you post on here it seems having a powermeter has caused you to focus on ewang numbers without much a focus on developing actual fitness.

  20. #7395
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,490
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2x20' @ SST this morning, felt pretty good.
    cat 1.

    blog

  21. #7396
    \_(ツ)_/ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    6,237
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still moderately sick. Just a bit low energy and coughing still. Early bedtimes until this resolves.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  22. #7397
    Senior Member aaronmcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
    Posts
    1,479
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Find the hole, then find the reason for the hole and correct it. Sand the tube, apply glue, lay it on your bike. Let the glue dry while you install the new tube and the wheel. Press the patch on and stow the repaired tube. The repair won't cost you more than an additional minute. Even with my frame pump, I can get this done before my LYC goes to sleep, and if you're single, I'll bet you can pump a tire up faster than me anyway. I patch tubes until 10 patches or overlapping patches.
    Good timing. Just after the 2 flats and rushing to the LBS just before closing, I decided it might be about time to buy a patch kit/learn to patch a tube for these rare situations.

    Got a flat in the first Early Bird crit and it took 2+ laps to get back on the bike - those hand pumps take a while (and feel really awkward making such motions on the side of the road). 150 reps to fill it. 2nd time around I got heckled for taking so long (just as I was wondering what was taking THEM so long lol). Maybe it's also time to get a CO2 inflator.

  23. #7398
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,490
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
    Good timing. Just after the 2 flats and rushing to the LBS just before closing, I decided it might be about time to buy a patch kit/learn to patch a tube for these rare situations.

    Got a flat in the first Early Bird crit and it took 2+ laps to get back on the bike - those hand pumps take a while (and feel really awkward making such motions on the side of the road). 150 reps to fill it. 2nd time around I got heckled for taking so long (just as I was wondering what was taking THEM so long lol). Maybe it's also time to get a CO2 inflator.
    Get the Park Tool "Quick" patches or whatever, don't wait for any glue to dry. At least that's what I do.

    As for pumping up a tire during a race.. lol! Generally you'll either have a spare wheel or be SOL.
    cat 1.

    blog

  24. #7399
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized2k10 View Post
    You find that patched tubes don't hold air as long as non patched tubes or am I doing it wrong? For example, when I've used a patched tube in a tire I have to pump the tire before each ride and the psi is around 60-70 over night. A non patched allows me to go around 2-3 days without pumping air.
    The longer you have a tire inflated, the slower it will lose air. Oxygen permeates 3-4x faster through rubber than nitrogen. As you reinflate your tire, you're mostly replacing lost oxygen, and you're replacing it with mostly nitrogen. So, after a week of reinflations, you'll find that your pressure doesn't change as much from day to day.

    This may lead one to believe that a patched tube leaks, because a freshly inflated tire is going to leak at a higher rate until most of the oxygen is out of the tire. So, you get a rear flat, and patch it, inflate it to full pressure. Next day, you inflate your tires, and your front is sitting on mostly nitrogen and hasn't lost much air, but the patched tire is sitting on 20% oxygen, so loses pressure much faster.

    It is possible, and not uncommon, to have more than one puncture in a tire, so if the problem persists, take the inflated tube under water and find the hole. Often a pinch flat will be caused by a slow leak elsewhere in the tire. The slow leak lowers your pressure enough that a smaller bump causes a pinch. You fix the pinch, reinstall, and the slow leak is still there.

  25. #7400
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 minutes of rainy base. Pretty nice ride -- 60F, so no sleeves needed. Teammate got a flat, so had to come off base a bit and rotate to get me back to the office for a meeting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •