Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 423 of 521 FirstFirst ... 323373413421422423424425433473 ... LastLast
Results 10,551 to 10,575 of 13013
  1. #10551
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,967
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lost my 40 pounds to get into cycling shape, I made sure to keep it around 1400-1600 kCals a day. I tried to eat a lot of protein and vegetables but for the most part it was a numbers game. When you do a 4 hour ride hitting that number isn't easy. Now I am trying to get down another 10, which is tougher as my discipline is a tad bit off.

    Hit new power highs again on tired legs. For my weak legs it is all about the numbers. My last race not having the power to stay attached to a break cost me. Since coming back I've had 3 small injuries that set me back but now it looks I'm well on my way.

  2. #10552
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,488
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylde06 View Post
    Right now im sitting at ~205lbs, so I could definitely stand to lose a few more pounds (im down 35 pounds from 2 years ago and have been sitting at ~205 since October 2012 https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...81688328_n.jpg not sure how much I weighed on the right but you can see the difference). I think after this racing season is over im going to make an effort to lose more.
    you can lose during race season, you just need to be more mindful of the content of your calories and not running too high a deficit. i'm not very disciplined on the diet side of things and although i'm normal person skinny, i'm a tubby among my cycling peers. what works best for me is to load up on breakfast and lunch with protein heavy foods to keep my feeling full, making sure I have a snack every couple of hours to keep my blood sugar level more constant (i'm not diabetic so this is more mood and feeling based rather than scientific tracking like you do), and eating a protein and vegetable with dinner. it's lifestyle appropriate and not a "diet" so it's sustainable provided I don't go and down a bunch of beers on the deck after the kids go to bed (which I like to do).


    proteins I focus on are Fage NF greek yogurt, chicken breasts, tuna, lean pork, and good cuts of beef.

    typical day will be:

    wake up to coffee and banana
    train
    smoothie post training (spinach or leafy vegetable, carrots, blue berries, strawberries, raw honey, flax seeds, greek yogurt - of some similar combo)
    greek yogurt and muesli around 10 for mid morning snack
    tuna salad or turkey and avocado lunch (or something similar)
    protein bar mid afternoon
    chicken/pork/steak or similar on the grill with a vegetable
    popscicle or some kind of sweet for dessert

    works for me as long as I stick to it, but discipline is my issue

  3. #10553
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently in the process of losing weight. It's pretty easy, even when I'm already a stick figure I can go lower. Eat less than you burn. If you eat the majority of your calories at the appropriate times (few hours before riding and directly after riding) your body can't even tell you are cutting calories on the bike and you can train perfectly fine. Don't eat anything during a ride on any ride less than 2 hours. Keep track of intake on myfitnesspal.com. Weight goes soaring away. It's 100x easier than gaining weight, F that crap, never doing that again.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  4. #10554
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,488
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    I'm currently in the process of losing weight. It's pretty easy, even when I'm already a stick figure I can go lower. Eat less than you burn. If you eat the majority of your calories at the appropriate times (few hours before riding and directly after riding) your body can't even tell you are cutting calories on the bike and you can train perfectly fine. Don't eat anything during a ride on any ride less than 2 hours. Keep track of intake on myfitnesspal.com. Weight goes soaring away. It's 100x easier than gaining weight, F that crap, never doing that again.
    talk to me when you turn 40 wise ass

  5. #10555
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,967
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, for me a big issue is sugars. I get hooked on certain sugary foods. If I eat a candy bar today, I'll crave sugar for the next week. There was a whole year where I had a Reese's once a day. It took a real detox effort to stop, and I'm mindful not to get in that pattern again.

  6. #10556
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    8,040
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    talk to me when you turn 40 wise ass

    hey fatso, you want a beer after the race this weekend in Frederick?

    --From your fellow zaftig racer

  7. #10557
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    talk to me when you turn 40 wise ass
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  8. #10558
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,488
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    hey fatso, you want a beer after the race this weekend in Frederick?

    --From your fellow zaftig racer
    out of town, family reunion in W PA so I'm going to miss it.

    good luck! course is basically an industrial park crit course. wide flat and fast rectangle. if you're doing cat 3, follow the ABRT boys, they're in it to win it.

  9. #10559
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,488
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
    Also, for me a big issue is sugars. I get hooked on certain sugary foods. If I eat a candy bar today, I'll crave sugar for the next week. It took a real detox effort to stop, and I'm mindful not to get in that pattern again.
    likewise.

  10. #10560
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    12,382
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of Fage yogurt. It has the consistency of wet chalk. I much prefer Chobani or house brand Greek yogurt. The one I like best is from Hannaford's.

  11. #10561
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,488
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    interesting. I've tried chobani, whole foods 365, and stoneyfield greek yogurt and like the fage best. I think chobani smells like cottage cheese, which I don't like.

  12. #10562
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    8,040
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    out of town, family reunion in W PA so I'm going to miss it.

    good luck! course is basically an industrial park crit course. wide flat and fast rectangle. if you're doing cat 3, follow the ABRT boys, they're in it to win it.
    Thanks!

    your purportedly 190 lbs teammate won at Tyson and is in the race

    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    interesting. I've tried chobani, whole foods 365, and stoneyfield greek yogurt and like the fage best. I think chobani smells like cottage cheese, which I don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Fage yogurt. It has the consistency of wet chalk. I much prefer Chobani or house brand Greek yogurt. The one I like best is from Hannaford's.
    i like Trader Joe's Kefir; turns out to be $0.75/serving, and it goes well over some high fiber cereal as a mid-afternoon snack

  13. #10563
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,488
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    190

  14. #10564
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    8,040
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    frankly i don't buy it, thus the "purported" part. perhaps 160lbs

  15. #10565
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    12,382
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You trying to calculate his Ewang from Strava?

  16. #10566
    Ninny globecanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Gunks
    Posts
    1,574
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    interesting. I've tried chobani, whole foods 365, and stoneyfield greek yogurt and like the fage best. I think chobani smells like cottage cheese, which I don't like.

    We go for the Fage in our house, but the other day I picked up some Cabot greek yogurt. A million times better! Then I looked at the container. 10% fat woohoo! I'm eating some right now, with some nuts and raisins and sriracha!

  17. #10567
    fuggitivo solitario echappist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    8,040
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    You trying to calculate his Ewang from Strava?
    nah, but i'll be marking him. hopefully it won't come to that and i'll get away with someone else

  18. #10568
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2
    Posts
    2,433
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the Trader Joe's greek yogurt I like. 24g of protein per cup. I've noticed some greek yogurts are around half that much protein. I add some jam/preserves to give it some flavor.


  19. #10569
    Senior Member aaronmcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
    Posts
    1,537
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    I'm currently in the process of losing weight. It's pretty easy, even when I'm already a stick figure I can go lower. Eat less than you burn. If you eat the majority of your calories at the appropriate times (few hours before riding and directly after riding) your body can't even tell you are cutting calories on the bike and you can train perfectly fine. Don't eat anything during a ride on any ride less than 2 hours. Keep track of intake on myfitnesspal.com. Weight goes soaring away. It's 100x easier than gaining weight, F that crap, never doing that again.
    Psh, losing fat weight might be easy, but losing muscle mass is damn near impossible.

    On the calories thing: I usually have a hard time getting enough, but I REALLY don't want to end up short and not be able to ride hard the next day (it's only ever happened once, and that was a race where I stayed at a hotel). I get so into counting calories burned/consumed that sometimes I eat too much on my last long day before recovery. I eat extra on Monday, and forget that I have to eat less on Wednesday or Thursday. Last night I ate a Chipotle burrito 2 hours after I ate 1.5 sandwiches. I should have eaten half a burrito, or maybe even skipped it - today is only 3 hours on the bike, most of it easy.

    Yogurt: That is a great idea. I usually stop by CVS and grab one of those Naked protein drinks, but the cost adds up!

  20. #10570
    Senior Member aaronmcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
    Posts
    1,537
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Training status:

    Sluggish legs today (after a total of 150 miles, four 20' threshold intervals, and a hard group ride over the last 2 days), so that called for intensity to make them feel better and balance out the week! Did the Alviso Crit and damn it hurt, got a few hard efforts in during the first 10' flurry, a few minutes effort in a break, and a few minutes in a failed attempt to hold off the pack for the last lap and a half. But it did the trick and the legs are feeling much better. Recovery tomorrow, track day Saturday. Got offered a free track bike recently, so it looks like I'll be able to try racing in a few weeks if the offer stands.

  21. #10571
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,461
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
    Training status:

    Sluggish legs today (after a total of 150 miles, four 20' threshold intervals, and a hard group ride over the last 2 days), so that called for intensity to make them feel better and balance out the week! Did the Alviso Crit and damn it hurt, got a few hard efforts in during the first 10' flurry, a few minutes effort in a break, and a few minutes in a failed attempt to hold off the pack for the last lap and a half. But it did the trick and the legs are feeling much better. Recovery tomorrow, track day Saturday. Got offered a free track bike recently, so it looks like I'll be able to try racing in a few weeks if the offer stands.
    Very nice!

    Are you racing tomorrow?
    Cat 2 upgrade status: never

  22. #10572
    Senior Member jsutkeepspining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
    Posts
    4,794
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went for a ~4 hour ride with my teammate today. It was great to just ride side by side and chit chat for the majority of the ride (he did take me up a couple of quick climbs, and made me work, but he took me to a good bar afterwards for burgers. Grilled cheese buns!). Ended up with a really solid tss for the ride (on the higher side for what i was expecting), especially with tired legs fromt he past couple of days.

    It's nice to ride with people you like. Makes the whole experience very enjoyable.
    cat 1-o-meter: wtf am i doing??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    You're not dumb. You're just less smart.

  23. #10573
    Senior Member aaronmcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
    Posts
    1,537
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    Very nice!

    Are you racing tomorrow?
    If I was, it wouldn't be a very good recovery day! We have a 4th of July BBQ (so I guess chances are very slim that it will be good recovery) and the 4s race at a dumb time... well, maybe a good time to be doing something of an entirely different nature.

  24. #10574
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,461
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
    If I was, it wouldn't be a very good recovery day! We have a 4th of July BBQ (so I guess chances are very slim that it will be good recovery) and the 4s race at a dumb time... well, maybe a good time to be doing something of an entirely different nature.
    I was gonna say...that's a rough effort before race day.
    Cat 2 upgrade status: never

  25. #10575
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    My Bikes
    Leopard M1SL
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs View Post
    Missed my workout yesterday due to my wife wrangling me into buying a washer and dryer. Today 2 x (2' @ vo2max, 8' @ threshold)
    Is this some sort of race winner interval? Sprint to get separation and then hold? Was thinking about trying that next week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •