Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 98 of 524 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 13077
  1. #2426
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
    After my last 1 minute all out effort i nearly crashed my bike at a bagillion mph. ****'s hard, and a big gust of wind caught me at the wrong time.
    1 minute efforts seem to give me an acute case of Tourette's Syndrome.

  2. #2427
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chain day today. Pulled a 45 minute avg power that I haven't seen in a 20 minute test for 3 years. Felt like high tempo.

    Maybe my PowerTap is on the fritz. Speed was good too though...

  3. #2428
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

    What's your over/under recipe. I just read Carmichael's and it pissed me off when it got to "then ramp up your effort to the max you can sustain for one minute before returning to Steady State." Does nobody understand what a max one minute effort is? You only get one.
    Really? Maybe my memory is failing, but I thought Carmichael's OU intervals were a minute at just above threshold followed by two minutes at around 92-95%, repeated a varying number of times to make a set.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  4. #2429
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Really? Maybe my memory is failing, but I thought Carmichael's OU intervals were a minute at just above threshold followed by two minutes at around 92-95%, repeated a varying number of times to make a set.
    http://www.bicycling.com/chris-carmichael/no-excuses

  5. #2430
    Senior Member robabeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    space
    My Bikes
    Evo,Corbia,Caad7,85 Pinny
    Posts
    1,571
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    much needed recovery day = spin on the rollers and swim.

  6. #2431
    Travelling hopefully chasm54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Uncertain
    Posts
    7,090
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Weird. It's a while since I read his time-crunched training program, but I'm pretty sure the OU intervals he describes in there were not those in this article.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

  7. #2432
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haunchyville
    Posts
    6,342
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also remember his OUs being like the crisscross intervals in the sticky, above and below LT.

    But either way, "then ramp up your effort to the max you can sustain for one minute before returning to Steady State" makes sense as long is you leave in the context of still being able to return to Steady State. IE, I can do a 600w minute and die, or I can do a 450w minute and return to Steady State. He's talking about the 450w minute.

  8. #2433
    Riding the bike I love. sstang13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Guelph Ontario, eh?
    My Bikes
    Marinano Delta
    Posts
    1,007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1:40 at a very easy pace. Nice to get out. 1 minute efforts are terrible. I hate them. People say "It's only 1 minute, it can't hurt that much", but they don't realize that when you're going at your max, it's something different..
    "You lack motivation because cycling is a stupid sport with no upside that takes way too much time out of your life to be mediocre at." - Racer Ex

  9. #2434
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstang13 View Post
    1:40 at a very easy pace. Nice to get out. 1 minute efforts are terrible. I hate them. People say "It's only 1 minute, it can't hurt that much", but they don't realize that when you're going at your max, it's something different..
    You're thinking too much about it. When doing them I just repeat in my head, "Don't think - just do." Pedal out of the saddle as long as you can. Yes, they hurt. They're supposed to. There's a comfort in them in that even if your numbers aren't all that great, if they hurt the right amount, then you're doing them right. Don't worry about pacing or hitting a power bogie. Just do. I look at the average power number about 58-59 seconds in just to see what it is. That's all you need to do.

  10. #2435
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode easy for 30 minutes. I kept the cadence around 100 and the power not much higher...basically just tried to get the legs moving and feeling normal.

  11. #2436
    Riding the bike I love. sstang13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Guelph Ontario, eh?
    My Bikes
    Marinano Delta
    Posts
    1,007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    You're thinking too much about it. When doing them I just repeat in my head, "Don't think - just do." Pedal out of the saddle as long as you can. Yes, they hurt. They're supposed to. There's a comfort in them in that even if your numbers aren't all that great, if they hurt the right amount, then you're doing them right. Don't worry about pacing or hitting a power bogie. Just do. I look at the average power number about 58-59 seconds in just to see what it is. That's all you need to do.
    I think too much about everything.. I don't have a power meter so no power numbers for me but no matter how much I try, I can't get that stupid speed number out of my head. I've decided to just let that come with experience though. I need better mental toughness when it comes to anything anaerobic
    "You lack motivation because cycling is a stupid sport with no upside that takes way too much time out of your life to be mediocre at." - Racer Ex

  12. #2437
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    4,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Really? Maybe my memory is failing, but I thought Carmichael's OU intervals were a minute at just above threshold followed by two minutes at around 92-95%, repeated a varying number of times to make a set.
    Chas is right, but the times can vary - e.g., four minutes under/two minutes over. Also, there's no set proportion; in his book, one of the workouts is 3 sets x 12 minutes of 2U/2O.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  13. #2438
    Senior Member jsutkeepspining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
    Posts
    4,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hour easy. legs felt nice. 100 rpm average on the rollers.
    cat 1-o-meter: wtf am i doing??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    You're not dumb. You're just less smart.

  14. #2439
    My idea of fun kensuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    My Bikes
    '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey
    Posts
    9,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 minutes including 8 minutes around 380w last night to get home before the sun set.
    Putting the Duh in Floriduh.

  15. #2440
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,434
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I feel I can now contribute.
    1 hour, spin bike, 110 rpm, sweating like a fat kid eating cake...
    Getting the legs ready for a gym beatdown tonight...
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  16. #2441
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstang13 View Post
    I think too much about everything.. I don't have a power meter so no power numbers for me but no matter how much I try, I can't get that stupid speed number out of my head. I've decided to just let that come with experience though. I need better mental toughness when it comes to anything anaerobic
    Ya, well, join the club. The better riders have the ability to disconnect their brains from their bodies to some extent. It's a learned trait. Same way you get to Carnegie Hall, son, practice.

  17. #2442
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,434
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Ya, well, join the club. The better riders have the ability to disconnect their brains from their bodies to some extent. It's a learned trait. Same way you get to Carnegie Hall, son, practice.
    Correct and always remember that when you are really suffering almost everyone around you is as well. Sometimes it is the ability to suffer those extra few seconds that will make the difference between victory and defeat...
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  18. #2443
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Correct and always remember that when you are really suffering almost everyone around you is as well. Sometimes it is the ability to suffer those extra few seconds that will make the difference between victory and defeat...
    I've gone up climbs saying to myself, "You've done the training. Rely on it. No one is going ride away. They can't." Just about the time I want to explode, the pace will let up a tick. It's kind of a faith thing. I've you've put the work in the bank, it will be there when you need it. Either that, or you'll get blown out the back like a snot-rocket.

  19. #2444
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did kettlebells. Now going to the airport.

  20. #2445
    HMF
    HMF is offline
    SkinnyStrong HMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Tejas
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Ya, well, join the club. The better riders have the ability to disconnect their brains from their bodies to some extent. It's a learned trait. Same way you get to Carnegie Hall, son, practice.
    I remember this from last year. It was a glorious few weeks. I would get to the top of a climb with the A group and then just for fun stomp the pedals for another 10" to really blow it apart. The Acid felt so good.

    I can't wait to get back to that.

  21. #2446
    Ninny globecanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Gunks
    Posts
    1,575
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New coach says this is a rest week, no efforts allowed of any kind. He knows me well enough to emphasize "no efforts" strongly.

    Problem is I live on a cliff. I went for a leisurely cross ride through the Gunks today and it was an interesting lesson in how slow you can go on a bike without falling over. For long stretches I was climbing at less than 2 mph. I live on top of a hill, my best time up the hill is 5:15, today was 11:50.

    This is definitely a learning experience!

  22. #2447
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,310
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    I've gone up climbs saying to myself, "You've done the training. Rely on it. No one is going ride away. They can't." Just about the time I want to explode, the pace will let up a tick. It's kind of a faith thing. I've you've put the work in the bank, it will be there when you need it. Either that, or you'll get blown out the back like a snot-rocket.
    Did this on Saturday. I got dropped in a crosswind but I said to myself "F this. They can't drop me. I've worked too hard this spring." So I put my head down and turned some pedals. Lucky for me the road turned into the wind and there was a little rise so the field all kind of sat up and I was able to claw my way back on.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  23. #2448
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,404
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
    New coach says this is a rest week, no efforts allowed of any kind. He knows me well enough to emphasize "no efforts" strongly.

    Problem is I live on a cliff. I went for a leisurely cross ride through the Gunks today and it was an interesting lesson in how slow you can go on a bike without falling over. For long stretches I was climbing at less than 2 mph. I live on top of a hill, my best time up the hill is 5:15, today was 11:50.

    This is definitely a learning experience!
    Welcome to the world of structured riding. I have a rest week this week too. Lots and lots of z1. You get used to it and it really really works. I snap out of these rest weeks with some serious fitness and form after hard training or racing blocks.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  24. #2449
    Riding the bike I love. sstang13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Guelph Ontario, eh?
    My Bikes
    Marinano Delta
    Posts
    1,007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Ya, well, join the club. The better riders have the ability to disconnect their brains from their bodies to some extent. It's a learned trait. Same way you get to Carnegie Hall, son, practice.
    I actually used to good at never giving up no matter the ride or pain but I've slowly grown worse and worse at it

    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Correct and always remember that when you are really suffering almost everyone around you is as well. Sometimes it is the ability to suffer those extra few seconds that will make the difference between victory and defeat...
    I thought about all of the posts on BF as I was dangling on the back of the pack in my first race this season about how those surges in races don't last the whole time and if you can just make it through and hang on then it'll all slow down, too bad it didn't work..

    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    Did this on Saturday. I got dropped in a crosswind but I said to myself "F this. They can't drop me. I've worked too hard this spring." So I put my head down and turned some pedals. Lucky for me the road turned into the wind and there was a little rise so the field all kind of sat up and I was able to claw my way back on.
    I have a teammate (ex-teammate) who's racing with Lotto in Europe and in one race he was in the lead group but dropped off the wheel a little bit and then managed to get back on. This was many kilometers into a hard race. His coach told him he wasn't trying hard enough...this is because once you get dropped, you're done. That's it. Because if you are able to catch back on then it means that you obviously had enough energy to catch up, so you should have been able to stay on right? Just something to consider next time you're in a situation when you're about to blow.
    "You lack motivation because cycling is a stupid sport with no upside that takes way too much time out of your life to be mediocre at." - Racer Ex

  25. #2450
    HMF
    HMF is offline
    SkinnyStrong HMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Tejas
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstang13 View Post
    I have a teammate (ex-teammate) who's racing with Lotto in Europe and in one race he was in the lead group but dropped off the wheel a little bit and then managed to get back on. This was many kilometers into a hard race. His coach told him he wasn't trying hard enough...this is because once you get dropped, you're done. That's it. Because if you are able to catch back on then it means that you obviously had enough energy to catch up, so you should have been able to stay on right? Just something to consider next time you're in a situation when you're about to blow.
    Maybe.
    Maybe they slowed down.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •