Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 99 of 448 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 11181
  1. #2451
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,811
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast hour through to and through the park and back. Probably Z3-Z4 most of the time, with significant efforts above that. Not sure, since I've taken off the HRM now that race season is here (maybe I'll stick to the structure through my race period next season, but I'm trying to have some fun, here). But I set a PR by over a minute on a very hilly park route, so things are going well. Still feeling some lower back pain from crashing this weekend, but I can pretty much ignore it while riding and it doesn't seem to be slowing me down much. Good signs. Trying to hold this form for the next two weekends, then I can get slow and weak again.

  2. #2452
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flight #1 canceled. Walked all over LAX for flight #2. Logged as crosstraining.

  3. #2453
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,249
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Flight #1 canceled. Walked all over LAX for flight #2. Logged as crosstraining.
    I know people who assign a TSS to taking a shower.

  4. #2454
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    I know people who assign a TSS to taking a shower.
    Well, when you account for what's happening when hammy and rkwaki talk about 'showering', it does mean a good deal of anaerobic work.

  5. #2455
    Senior Member jsutkeepspining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
    Posts
    4,712
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i rode kind of sort of hard and it hurt kind of sort of
    cat 1-o-meter: wtf am i doing??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    You're not dumb. You're just less smart.

  6. #2456
    Senior Member johnybutts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    Type of horse.
    Posts
    3,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1:20 endurance/easy. Legs still hurt at the end. Wednesday Night Crit tomorrow. I'm gonna try to drop myself. And a bunch of other people in the process.
    I'm sure when you were getting to the point of blowing nothing was obvious but making the pain stop...I don't know about you but after the fact I always look back at those moments and think 'why didn't I just keep going' but at the time there wasn't enough oxygen on the planet to make me take one more pedal stroke.

  7. #2457
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    I know people who assign a TSS to taking a shower.
    I used to wear my HRM while mowing the lawn.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  8. #2458
    Senior Member Herbie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    5,796
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess it should not be shocking that there can be no training peaks if there are no valleys..... valleys suck.
    "Today me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant, then me will eat cookie." -Cookie Monster

  9. #2459
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few questions to those more knowledgeable.

    I have to take 3 weeks off for travel sometime in July - September. I have key races for the season in November (150-200k ones). How much effect will 3 weeks off the bike have? When is best to go? Earlier the better right? What can I do when I'm away to minimize the detraining?

    For background, I'm in the Southern Hemisphere so have just finished my season and am enjoying some time off currently. The plan to get into serious training in early June (it doesn't get that cold here, it just rains). There are races from August but none are important til November.

    Cheers

  10. #2460
    Riding the bike I love. sstang13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Guelph Ontario, eh?
    My Bikes
    Marinano Delta
    Posts
    1,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2:15 tonight with 5x5 @ as hard as I can. The first 2 were at 42 km/h average, the last 3 were more like 30. It's amazing what wind/hills can do..

    Quote Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
    i rode kind of sort of hard and it hurt kind of sort of
    Your training reports are thee BEST! Almost better than ex's signature

    Ps. I love this page ^
    "You lack motivation because cycling is a stupid sport with no upside that takes way too much time out of your life to be mediocre at." - Racer Ex

  11. #2461
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,192
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 hours, 40 TSS.
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

  12. #2462
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35 minutes on the Life Fitness suck-o-matic in the hotel. If I'm lucky tonight I'll get to run...wow, did I just write that?

  13. #2463
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    35 minutes on the Life Fitness suck-o-matic in the hotel. If I'm lucky tonight I'll get to run...wow, did I just write that?
    Move along.... Nothing to see here...
    Better than a parking lot suck-o-matic....
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  14. #2464
    Theodore Roosevelt's idol TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vagabond
    My Bikes
    Affirmative
    Posts
    8,988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
    New coach says this is a rest week, no efforts allowed of any kind. He knows me well enough to emphasize "no efforts" strongly.

    Problem is I live on a cliff. I went for a leisurely cross ride through the Gunks today and it was an interesting lesson in how slow you can go on a bike without falling over. For long stretches I was climbing at less than 2 mph. I live on top of a hill, my best time up the hill is 5:15, today was 11:50.

    This is definitely a learning experience!
    Let me guess, top of rt 52? Cragsmoor? Or 44/55 and 299?

    1hr easy spin today for me.
    Masochism is a training adaptation.

  15. #2465
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,343
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30min spin yesterday. 1hr spin today. May take tomorrow off instead of spinning 30 mins. No races for over a month, taking an even easier recovery week than my coach is telling me. Need it mentally.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  16. #2466
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Fast hour through to and through the park and back. Probably Z3-Z4 most of the time, with significant efforts above that. Not sure, since I've taken off the HRM now that race season is here (maybe I'll stick to the structure through my race period next season, but I'm trying to have some fun, here). But I set a PR by over a minute on a very hilly park route, so things are going well. Still feeling some lower back pain from crashing this weekend, but I can pretty much ignore it while riding and it doesn't seem to be slowing me down much. Good signs. Trying to hold this form for the next two weekends, then I can get slow and weak again.
    Percy Warner?
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  17. #2467
    HMF
    HMF is offline
    SkinnyStrong HMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Tejas
    Posts
    1,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever feel like your local training race is too dangerous? Dodging cars and running red lights, I'm not sure it's worth it anymore.

  18. #2468
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,646
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Anyone ever feel like your local training race is too dangerous? Dodging cars and running red lights, I'm not sure it's worth it anymore.

    accident waiting to happen IMO. Luckily for me, most serious training rides are miles away from traffic. I would avoid the above situations though

  19. #2469
    HMF
    HMF is offline
    SkinnyStrong HMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Austin, Tejas
    Posts
    1,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Austin Tuesday Nighter. Used to be legendary (still is), but so may new homes have been built up in that area that the traffic has reached a critical mass. Last night was the first time that I thought to myself "This isn't really that fun."

  20. #2470
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,687
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A training ride or "race" doesn't have include dodging cars and running red lights. My club has been doing one for decades as well (NCC WNR) and none of that crap is tolerated. Think about the impression that kind of nonsense is making on the city and the motoring public. It's not good. There is a bigger picture here.

  21. #2471
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,811
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Percy Warner?
    Yep. I live maybe 3.5 miles away.

    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    A training ride or "race" doesn't have include dodging cars and running red lights. My club has been doing one for decades as well (NCC WNR) and none of that crap is tolerated. Think about the impression that kind of nonsense is making on the city and the motoring public. It's not good. There is a bigger picture here.
    I love the WNR. Hope to make a couple this summer, for old times sake, if I don't immediately have a full-time job.

  22. #2472
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Yep. I live maybe 3.5 miles away.

    It is beautiful in there, only ridden it once with (Todd N) but I bet you can get some great miles done in there without much traffic.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  23. #2473
    Hanging On
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    839
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The Austin Tuesday Nighter. Used to be legendary (still is), but so may new homes have been built up in that area that the traffic has reached a critical mass. Last night was the first time that I thought to myself "This isn't really that fun."
    That's kind of why they tried to move it out to Creedmoor a few years back.

  24. #2474
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rides I go on are neutral until we hit the boonies. We've had to alter the route of the Saturday River Ride several times in the last 10 years because of encroaching suburbia.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  25. #2475
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,811
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    It is beautiful in there, only ridden it once with (Todd N) but I bet you can get some great miles done in there without much traffic.
    As long as you don't mind a little climbing, yeah (~900 feet each 11-mile lap). I've been known to do multiple laps on questionable weather days, to get plenty of distance in without straying too far from home if things get really nasty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •