Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-13, 09:38 PM   #51
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,815
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Friday, repeated my core and leg workout. Romanian split squats seemed easier. My legs felt great after the workout but I definitely felt them on the bike today climbing.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 12:20 PM   #52
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifting weights really adds fatigue. Everytime I'm done I'm just kinda drag myself around the rest of the day. And even after feeling better after spinning some of that crap out on an easy ride, feel the need for more sleep at night.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 08:11 AM   #53
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,815
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Weight training is fatiguing and reporting what one has done even more boring than ride training reports. The upside of weight training in a gym is the energy and people watching.

Last night was an upper body workout with variation of movement from the last one (I change the way I work a muscle group) and I added throwing the medicine ball against a concrete wall by rotating the body. This move builds both in the throw and the catch.

On the people watching side, they had a boot camp style class going on in the aerobics room. There are always some interesting opposite sex watching but what is most interesting is how good they are at the routine.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 11:28 AM   #54
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,558
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
On the people watching side, they had a boot camp style class going on in the aerobics room. There are always some interesting opposite sex watching but what is most interesting is how good they are at the routine.
Playboy had a great interview a while back with some guy.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 10:26 AM   #55
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
This is an example of one of my Kettlebell (KB) workouts. This one was pretty tough for me. I have to get the weight thing figured out a little better, because I like to do the weight work and I think it's important, but I'm sore for 3 days afterwards and it's hurting my riding. I need to find the SST of weight routines.

Anyway, here goes. I do this in my backyard.

--------------------------------------------
Warm-up on rower for 10 minutes
2x10 Single leg Russian Deal Lifts (no weight)
3x20 squats (no weight)
3x20 rolling medicine ball pushups
Bear crawls
Various active stretching
----------------------------
3x20 24” box jumps
3 x 5 forward squat (24 & 20KG KB’s in clean position)
3x10 12# medicine ball twists
3x15 step 24 kg KB lunge walks (alternate sides w/ KB)
3x10 20 kg KB snatch (per side)
3x5 24 kg KB jerks
3 x 30 24 kg KB single hand switch swings
5 minute plank forward/LHS/RHS (1.5’ std, 1’ left, 30” std, 1’ right, 1’ std)
Stretch
I intend to pick up a KB soon and may give this a go. I keep begging the wife for a powerrack in the garage but this may do for now!!
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 03:24 PM   #56
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
As there seem to be several threads going on about this subject I thought I would start one that focused specifically on the subject as I am such a big believer in it. Here is a workout that many of you have already. Can be done at home, hotel, etc. This is one of my cross functional workouts. Very simple. Put 50 minutes on your stopwatch and start doing exercises, in sequence. If you finish before the 50 minutes is up, start over.

No more that 30 seconds rest between sets/exercises.
1 WALKING LUNGES x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
2 TURKISH GET UPS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7O8Q...eature=related x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
3 SIDE LUNGES (KEEP NON WORKING LEG FLAT) x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
4 FRONT TO BACK LUNGE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-FkdprsFY do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
5 ROMANIAN SPLIT SQUAT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IR0bb2gdnM do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
6 SIT DOWN SQUAT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlPoq0S2lg do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
7 BENCH DIP SQUAT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4KVXJudiI do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
8 MONSTER WALK (USE INNER TUBE AROUND ANKLES) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA5X4nKueUU -you use the bands (or used inner tubes) for this (try it first with one around your ankles)
FRONT
BACK
SIDEWAYS in both directions
9 BURPEE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps x10 reps x 3
10 WALL SIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wV4Venusw as long as you can hold it
12 SUPERMAN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHb1b7cuVtk x3 reps - hold for 30 seconds
13 PLANK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHjTRCQxIw x3 reps - hold for 30 seconds
One of my training goals this winter is to fit some weight/resistance training into my schedule along with as much base as my legs/family/sanity can stand. After a couple false starts, this Monday was my first real day in the gym. I did the workout above except I only did half-Turkish Getups and I skipped the Monster Walks since I didn't have a rubber band or inner tube with me. My legs are so torn up now! I did 35' @ 75% FTP Tuesday followed by 25' of eeeaaasssy spinning and a short SST effort today (interrupted by stop lights as I rode downtown to go pick up a sandwich for lunch).

My legs are still thrashed today and I was planning on hitting the weights again tomorrow but now I'm not sure. Should I go anyway and do what I can or skip it in favor of more stretching and rest/light spinning? For reference, I'm in my R&R week at the end of my first 4-week base block (I know, not the greatest time to start picking up weights), and I'll be starting another 4-week base block next week with the 4th week being R&R.
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 03:45 PM   #57
misterwaterfall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
One of my training goals this winter is to fit some weight/resistance training into my schedule along with as much base as my legs/family/sanity can stand. After a couple false starts, this Monday was my first real day in the gym. I did the workout above except I only did half-Turkish Getups and I skipped the Monster Walks since I didn't have a rubber band or inner tube with me. My legs are so torn up now! I did 35' @ 75% FTP Tuesday followed by 25' of eeeaaasssy spinning and a short SST effort today (interrupted by stop lights as I rode downtown to go pick up a sandwich for lunch).

My legs are still thrashed today and I was planning on hitting the weights again tomorrow but now I'm not sure. Should I go anyway and do what I can or skip it in favor of more stretching and rest/light spinning? For reference, I'm in my R&R week at the end of my first 4-week base block (I know, not the greatest time to start picking up weights), and I'll be starting another 4-week base block next week with the 4th week being R&R.
Do it in the morning and spin the legs out at night. By week 2 or 3 you'll be ready to ride the next day
misterwaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 04:19 PM   #58
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
Thread Starter
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
Do it in the morning and spin the legs out at night. By week 2 or 3 you'll be ready to ride the next day
To be honest I wouldn't do that more than once a week.
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 05:13 PM   #59
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I'll stick with my going to the gym plans but I'll probably pass on the evening spin in favor of more stretching and foam rolling.
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 05:03 PM   #60
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,881
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
How much weight for Turkish get ups? And don't give me bond of that it depends jive.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 05:06 PM   #61
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
Thread Starter
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
How much weight for Turkish get ups? And don't give me bond of that it depends jive.
I'd start with bodyweight only, focusing on strict form and driving the weight through the heal (not off the toes) then add accordingly dependent on what you have at avail.
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 06:47 PM   #62
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,193
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
I'd start with bodyweight only, focusing on strict form and driving the weight through the heal (not off the toes) then add accordingly dependent on what you have at avail.
Nonsense. 2 pood kb or nothing.

But really, form is KEY on TGUs. Balance, weight in the heel, and I found it helps more than you can imagine to focus on the weight you're moving.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 11:44 PM   #63
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
How much weight for Turkish get ups? And don't give me bond of that it depends jive.
Check this out. If a girl can do a 36kg kettlebell getup, then you should be good for twice that, right?


For reference, I do them with with a 20# bell. It's not really the weight that's the difficult to deal with, it's really just trying to keep everything in line and not getting off balance.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 02:12 PM   #64
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've started a new kettelbell workout. It's a series from Dan John, who is a well-known strength coach among other things. It breaks down like this.

10 swings
1 rep aux movement
15 swings
2 rep aux movement
25 swings
3 rep aux movement
50 swings

You do this a total of 5 times, which means you get in 500 swings and 30 aux movements in a normal workout. The aux movements can be any number of things. Pull ups, chin ups, dips, goblet squats, handstand pushups, etc. Are all fair game. If you are doing an 'easier' aux movement, then you do them in a 2, 3, 5 rep pattern for a total of 50 reps.

He recommends men use a 24kg (53#) bell and women use a 16 kg (35#) bell. Naturally, I've been using a 16 kg one. Even at that, it's not an easy workout. It takes about a 1/2 hour or so and by the end your grip strength in particular is just shot. I'm going to start using my 20 kg bell for the 10 & 15 swing sets to try to build up to the bigger bells, but it's tough.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 11:34 PM   #65
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So on tonight's workout I used a 20kg bell for the 10 and 15's as well as the entire last set. I used a 16 for the first 4 25 and 50's. The 2,3,5 aux movement was a 24kg goblet squat...not much, I suppose, but it's the biggest I have. Santa didn't bring the big sand bag I was wanting.

I wore my HRM for general interest. During the first 4 sets I was in zone 2 for the 25 & 50 swings and it would drop quickly between sets (I take about a minute between them). On the last set where I used the 20kg bell the entire time I was into zone 4 HR (got to 175 bpm). I'm just going to go ahead and add that zone 4 doing kettelbell swings is a completely different animal from riding sub-threshold on a bike. I was working _hard_. It was one of those finish and then feel shakey for the next 15 minutes type of deal.

I'm kind of wondering if I should be using the heavier bell but taking longer rest periods to allow for the ability to actually complete the exercise. As it is, my grip is completely shot right now, so how I did it is probably about as much stimulus as I was going to get.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 02:13 PM   #66
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
Thread Starter
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
So on tonight's workout I used a 20kg bell for the 10 and 15's as well as the entire last set. I used a 16 for the first 4 25 and 50's. The 2,3,5 aux movement was a 24kg goblet squat...not much, I suppose, but it's the biggest I have. Santa didn't bring the big sand bag I was wanting.

I wore my HRM for general interest. During the first 4 sets I was in zone 2 for the 25 & 50 swings and it would drop quickly between sets (I take about a minute between them). On the last set where I used the 20kg bell the entire time I was into zone 4 HR (got to 175 bpm). I'm just going to go ahead and add that zone 4 doing kettelbell swings is a completely different animal from riding sub-threshold on a bike. I was working _hard_. It was one of those finish and then feel shakey for the next 15 minutes type of deal.

I'm kind of wondering if I should be using the heavier bell but taking longer rest periods to allow for the ability to actually complete the exercise. As it is, my grip is completely shot right now, so how I did it is probably about as much stimulus as I was going to get.
Stay with the heavy one, your grip will adapt. It will do so quite quickly.
I stopped using straps for back work until my grip starts to fail. I can do rack pulls at 585 with no straps now, I used to have to use straps at 405. If I work up to 650 I strap up for safety more than anything. Regardless I have a pretty firm grip....

My wiener will agree.....
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 02:51 PM   #67
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,193
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
So on tonight's workout I used a 20kg bell for the 10 and 15's as well as the entire last set. I used a 16 for the first 4 25 and 50's. The 2,3,5 aux movement was a 24kg goblet squat...not much, I suppose, but it's the biggest I have. Santa didn't bring the big sand bag I was wanting.

I wore my HRM for general interest. During the first 4 sets I was in zone 2 for the 25 & 50 swings and it would drop quickly between sets (I take about a minute between them). On the last set where I used the 20kg bell the entire time I was into zone 4 HR (got to 175 bpm). I'm just going to go ahead and add that zone 4 doing kettelbell swings is a completely different animal from riding sub-threshold on a bike. I was working _hard_. It was one of those finish and then feel shakey for the next 15 minutes type of deal.

I'm kind of wondering if I should be using the heavier bell but taking longer rest periods to allow for the ability to actually complete the exercise. As it is, my grip is completely shot right now, so how I did it is probably about as much stimulus as I was going to get.
For the KB swings, are you swinging to about shoulder level or going over head crossfit style? I'm thinking if you're following Dan John, you're probably not going over head.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 03:34 PM   #68
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
For the KB swings, are you swinging to about shoulder level or going over head crossfit style? I'm thinking if you're following Dan John, you're probably not going over head.
Bingo. Just going to eye level. If it's good enough for Pavel, then it's good enough for me. I think overhead is kind of a stupid C.F. thing. It's a good way to hurt yourself.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 03:35 PM   #69
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
Stay with the heavy one, your grip will adapt.
I'd appreciate it if you tell me what I want to hear as opposed to what I need to hear.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 03:40 PM   #70
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
Thread Starter
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
Bingo. Just going to eye level. If it's good enough for Pavel, then it's good enough for me. I think overhead is kind of a stupid C.F. thing. It's a good way to hurt yourself.
I agree, going overhead is stupid and a nice way to cause shoulder injuries (IMHO)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
I'd appreciate it if you tell me what I want to hear as opposed to what I need to hear.
No problem, use the lighter weight that way your lady parts won't get too sore...
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 03:41 PM   #71
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,193
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
Bingo. Just going to eye level. If it's good enough for Pavel, then it's good enough for me. I think overhead is kind of a stupid C.F. thing. It's a good way to hurt yourself.
Who needs functioning shoulders anyway?
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 05:29 PM   #72
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, btw rkwaki, let go of that thing, you're turning it purple!
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 05:30 PM   #73
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Who needs functioning shoulders anyway?
Exactly
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 12:45 PM   #74
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck
 
Fat Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished my workout with the bigger bell. Holy Hell, that was tough. Grip is _shot_ so I guess I'm not going to 'congratulate' myself on the accomplishment any time soon.
Fat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 11:57 AM   #75
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
Thread Starter
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought this would go best here. This is an exert from the Cyclingnews interview with Cavendish:





Glad he was reading this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (27.1 KB, 65 views)
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 AM.