Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 98 of 98
  1. #76
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a pretty good article about Cav. He's got Renshaw back...watch out.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  2. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ran across this. It's Alex Viada's workout split. He's a huge PL guy who also does tri's. Flippin insane

    1548040_10100589392215084_247203112_o.jpg

  3. #78
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
    Just ran across this. It's Alex Viada's workout split. He's a huge PL guy who also does tri's. Flippin insane

    1548040_10100589392215084_247203112_o.jpg
    That's a great workout. What's his weight?

    Nevermind, competes at 220.

    Had to google him. Interesting read. We are probably close to the same size and follow a lot of the same principals. When I was running i was running a 7:15ish pace at 227 pounds (not fast by running standards but pretty fast for a rhino). I would love to read more and pick his brain about things as I imagine there would be a lot the same. That's a strong life to fire off an 800 pound squat x 1. My PB lately has been a 785 for 3 dynamic (use tension bands at 228.
    Last edited by rkwaki; 02-05-14 at 11:04 AM.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  4. #79
    ride lots be safe Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,089
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    700 pounds Holy Jeeebus! I get scared for snapping my spine at a couple hundred.
    "have fun and be kind"
    - an internet post

  5. #80
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW the most impressive thing on there are the ATG (ass to grass) squats. We've been working on these. ATG for me is to squat to a 12" plank which is a long, long way down.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  6. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And he does them right off of the bike apparently. Pretty crazy that he can keep that intensity going

  7. #82
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
    And he does them right off of the bike apparently. Pretty crazy that he can keep that intensity going
    Like I've said before I used to ride 80+ in the morning, squat 500+ in the afternoon...
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  8. #83
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sandbag is heavy as hell to me and it's only like 120# max. Those numbers are crazy.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  9. #84
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,661
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  10. #85
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thechemist View Post
    I can assure you that of all the guys I coach everyone of them has gym time (well I hav e one taking a break right now to lose some size). I have always believed in it and if you don't have one of my functional workouts let me know and I'll sned it to you. It breaks from the traditional workout as it requires very little equipment and you can do it from home.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  11. #86
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,348
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I continue with my strength training in the gym as I have been doing since 1977. I have added a plyometric component to all of my weight work.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  12. #87
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to post up in here to bring it back ttt.
    I've been fighting shoulder issues for about 6-8 months and was fearing that I had double rotator cuff tears and did not want surgery so I went back to taking Osteo BiFlex and started training really light again and not overdoing chest/shoulder work. As they have been feeling better week after week I decided to give things a try and move some 'decent' weight for incline dumbell press and flat dumbell press. I was so excited when I was able to press a little weight and not feel super sharp pain.

    Moral of the story, sometimes you have to go waaaaay backwards to move forward.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  13. #88
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,661
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Had to post up in here to bring it back ttt.
    I've been fighting shoulder issues for about 6-8 months and was fearing that I had double rotator cuff tears and did not want surgery so I went back to taking Osteo BiFlex and started training really light again and not overdoing chest/shoulder work. As they have been feeling better week after week I decided to give things a try and move some 'decent' weight for incline dumbell press and flat dumbell press. I was so excited when I was able to press a little weight and not feel super sharp pain.

    Moral of the story, sometimes you have to go waaaaay backwards to move forward.
    Good and bad news at the same time. Heal up and it soudns like you have teh solution!

  14. #89
    Senior Member topflightpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,851
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually been quite amazed by how much weight I can push even after riding for 3-5 hours. My legs will be tired, but I'm still able to put up some solid numbers. Nothing like waki, but a lot for me.

    In fact, from a squat perspective, I'm limited more by weakness in my back than weakness in my legs. My legs could handle probably another 50 or 60 pounds - probably around 315 total, but I'm reluctant to do so for fear of tweaking my back. (I have a history of low back issues.) Still, I'll get there in time.

    Also, I do a mix of high-rep/low weight, and low-rep/high weight. So I often start doing 20 squats at 95 pounds then work my way down/up, adding weight and reducing reps. I also tend to do pyramids, so I keep lifting after I've hit peak weight.
    Last edited by topflightpro; 02-20-14 at 08:47 AM.

  15. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post

    In fact, from a squat perspective, I'm limited more by weakness in my back than weakness in my legs. My legs could handle probably another 50 or 60 pounds - probably around 315 total, but I'm reluctant to do so for fear of tweaking my back. (I have a history of low back issues.) Still, I'll get there in time.
    See if you can find a good training partner/someone in your gym to work in with you for a few heavy sets and push you(also to watch form). For some reason squats are a huge mental hurdle for me, and when I started lifting a few years back, they always seemed really hard. Like I would work up to 225x5, and it seemed hard. One day I just decided to see how far I could go, and kept adding weight, and adding weight and I think I got to 335 for a tripple, which was way more than I had ever done having only pushed around small weights before that.

  16. #91
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
    See if you can find a good training partner/someone in your gym to work in with you for a few heavy sets and push you(also to watch form). For some reason squats are a huge mental hurdle for me, and when I started lifting a few years back, they always seemed really hard. Like I would work up to 225x5, and it seemed hard. One day I just decided to see how far I could go, and kept adding weight, and adding weight and I think I got to 335 for a tripple, which was way more than I had ever done having only pushed around small weights before that.
    Lifting weights is funny sometimes. Took me a while to figure out "hard" is not always hard. I had the same experience, where I kept adding weight going, wow, it's not actually much harder (until you hit your actual weight range you should be at).
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  17. #92
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Lifting weights is funny sometimes. Took me a while to figure out "hard" is not always hard. I had the same experience, where I kept adding weight going, wow, it's not actually much harder (until you hit your actual weight range you should be at).
    Correct.
    You can make any weight uncomfortable
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  18. #93
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,656
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hit the gym today for the first time in months. I know some of you guys have been harassing me to get in but I put it off because a) Wasn't sure if my leg could handle both cycling and lifting and b) I wanted to get near 'race weight' since I can't lift and lose weight (I eat like crazy).

    Did 3x10 on the leg press, 3x10 isolation machines for the quads and hamstrings, 2 bent calf raises and 2x10 straight calf raises. Did some upper body stuff too.

    Anyone know a good android app for tracking your workouts?

  19. #94
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
    Just hit the gym today for the first time in months. I know some of you guys have been harassing me to get in but I put it off because a) Wasn't sure if my leg could handle both cycling and lifting and b) I wanted to get near 'race weight' since I can't lift and lose weight (I eat like crazy).

    Did 3x10 on the leg press, 3x10 isolation machines for the quads and hamstrings, 2 bent calf raises and 2x10 straight calf raises. Did some upper body stuff too.

    Anyone know a good android app for tracking your workouts?
    How do you feel today. Can you walk?
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  20. #95
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not many people know but I've been refocusing on lifting weights more than riding lately. I'm switching to an upper/lower split today. Been doing fullbody but it's been a bit too much for one workout session. I'm no gym rat, but it's a nice change of pace. My legs have balooned and I can easily do over 1000w now, when I never could before (But I'm also 20lbs heavier).
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  21. #96
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,656
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    How do you feel today. Can you walk?
    I can walk, but there's no way I can run, or ride a bike.

  22. #97
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
    I can walk, but there's no way I can run, or ride a bike.
    I bet you can ride. You may even feel better afterwards. You really don't realize how different the muscles are that you use to ride until you can barely move and walk, and then can get on the bike and you are just fine.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  23. #98
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Not many people know but I've been refocusing on lifting weights more than riding lately. I'm switching to an upper/lower split today. Been doing fullbody but it's been a bit too much for one workout session. I'm no gym rat, but it's a nice change of pace. My legs have balooned and I can easily do over 1000w now, when I never could before (But I'm also 20lbs heavier).
    So you are 134 pounds now
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •