Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   Weight Training Discussion/Workouts (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/857346-weight-training-discussion-workouts.html)

rkwaki 11-12-12 12:58 PM

Weight Training Discussion/Workouts
 
As there seem to be several threads going on about this subject I thought I would start one that focused specifically on the subject as I am such a big believer in it. Here is a workout that many of you have already. Can be done at home, hotel, etc. This is one of my cross functional workouts. Very simple. Put 50 minutes on your stopwatch and start doing exercises, in sequence. If you finish before the 50 minutes is up, start over.

No more that 30 seconds rest between sets/exercises.
1 WALKING LUNGES x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
2 TURKISH GET UPS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7O8Q...eature=related x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
3 SIDE LUNGES (KEEP NON WORKING LEG FLAT) x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
4 FRONT TO BACK LUNGE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-FkdprsFY do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
5 ROMANIAN SPLIT SQUAT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IR0bb2gdnM do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
6 SIT DOWN SQUAT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlPoq0S2lg do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
7 BENCH DIP SQUAT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4KVXJudiI do these using one leg at a time x 10 on each leg x 3 sets
8 MONSTER WALK (USE INNER TUBE AROUND ANKLES) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA5X4nKueUU -you use the bands (or used inner tubes) for this (try it first with one around your ankles)
FRONT
BACK
SIDEWAYS in both directions
9 BURPEE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps x10 reps x 3
10 WALL SIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wV4Venusw as long as you can hold it
12 SUPERMAN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHb1b7cuVtk x3 reps - hold for 30 seconds
13 PLANK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHjTRCQxIw x3 reps - hold for 30 seconds

Fat Boy 11-12-12 01:55 PM

This is an example of one of my Kettlebell (KB) workouts. This one was pretty tough for me. I have to get the weight thing figured out a little better, because I like to do the weight work and I think it's important, but I'm sore for 3 days afterwards and it's hurting my riding. I need to find the SST of weight routines.

Anyway, here goes. I do this in my backyard.

--------------------------------------------
Warm-up on rower for 10 minutes
2x10 Single leg Russian Deal Lifts (no weight)
3x20 squats (no weight)
3x20 rolling medicine ball pushups
Bear crawls
Various active stretching
----------------------------
3x20 24” box jumps
3 x 5 forward squat (24 & 20KG KB’s in clean position)
3x10 12# medicine ball twists
3x15 step 24 kg KB lunge walks (alternate sides w/ KB)
3x10 20 kg KB snatch (per side)
3x5 24 kg KB jerks
3 x 30 24 kg KB single hand switch swings
5 minute plank forward/LHS/RHS (1.5’ std, 1’ left, 30” std, 1’ right, 1’ std)
Stretch

jsutkeepspining 11-12-12 02:07 PM

well rkwaki give me a monster workout with weights si vous plait qui peux adjuter plus de 100 watts a mon maximum

sorry for th poor frennch im in french class right now

rkwaki 11-12-12 02:13 PM

Try the one I posted.

jsutkeepspining 11-12-12 04:41 PM

just did, had to do two sets and i still finished in 45 minutes :P


j'aime te blaguer

Fat Boy 11-12-12 10:13 PM

In honor of this thread I did the workout I posted (I changed it a little w/ heavier weights). Ugh. It's probably not much for some of you guys, but it's a lot for me. Including the stretching at the end it takes me about 90 minutes total.

Hellooooo, DOMS, I'll be seeing you tomorrow.

rkwaki 11-13-12 07:27 AM

Last night I was pressed for time so here goes (all sets followed with calf raises)
Leg extensions - 6 sets of 30 reps
Seated Hamstring Curls - 6 sets of 30 reps
Hack Squats - 4 sets, 20 reps
Alternating Leg Hamstring Curls - 4 sets
Seated Hamstring Curls (different machine) - 4 sets
Don't know what it is called but I call them upside down donkey presses - 4 sets
Leg extensions - to burnout

Sat in the sauna fully clothed for 15 minutes (heat acclimatization) where it was 160 degrees

Fat Boy 11-13-12 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwaki (Post 14942751)
Don't know what it is called but I call them upside down donkey presses - 4 sets

Is that anything like a Rear Admiral?

caloso 11-13-12 11:45 AM

Thanks for this.

rkwaki 11-13-12 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=283499

Can't believe I forgot this was called a vertical leg press sled.
Donkeys are a calf raise exercise.

benajah 11-13-12 11:18 PM

So I have a question. I have this slight orthopaedic problem with my right leg that severely limits the leg exercises I can do with that leg. Basically I can do squats, stair steppers wearing a heavy pack (I do a lot of mountaineering and backpacking also so this is a favorite), and that's about it. Now my other leg is perfectly normal and I can do anything I want with it.
so what I do is isolate my legs and do only one legged exercises...one legged squats, calf raises on my good leg, and the full range of exercises for my good leg.
after years of doing this, my left leg is ridiculously larger than my right, and I can produce well...produce about 40% less power with my bad leg. At this point the leg differences are starting to make me a bit unbalanced on the bike, to the degree that my top tube literally sways left and right from a sitting position when I feel like my pedaling form feels pretty smooth.
so would it stand to reason that I may be losing forward effeciency? Or that I'm simply not? Or that if I am this is offset by the "normal" power in my good leg?
it leaves me with two possible alternatives...continue doing what I'm doing, or stop pushing my good leg so hard and concentrate on my bad leg (it can't physiologically catch up though).
any ideas?

carleton 11-13-12 11:34 PM

Relevant and recent: https://twitter.com/fredgrappe/statu...87728960393217

Quote:

In conclusion, adding heavy strength training to usual endurance training in well-trained cyclists improves pedaling efficacy during 5-min all-out cycling performed after 185 min of cycling.

kindablue 11-14-12 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benajah (Post 14946227)
So I have a question. I have this slight orthopaedic problem with my right leg that severely limits the leg exercises I can do with that leg. Basically I can do squats, stair steppers wearing a heavy pack (I do a lot of mountaineering and backpacking also so this is a favorite), and that's about it. Now my other leg is perfectly normal and I can do anything I want with it.
so what I do is isolate my legs and do only one legged exercises...one legged squats, calf raises on my good leg, and the full range of exercises for my good leg.
after years of doing this, my left leg is ridiculously larger than my right, and I can produce well...produce about 40% less power with my bad leg. At this point the leg differences are starting to make me a bit unbalanced on the bike, to the degree that my top tube literally sways left and right from a sitting position when I feel like my pedaling form feels pretty smooth.
so would it stand to reason that I may be losing forward effeciency? Or that I'm simply not? Or that if I am this is offset by the "normal" power in my good leg?
it leaves me with two possible alternatives...continue doing what I'm doing, or stop pushing my good leg so hard and concentrate on my bad leg (it can't physiologically catch up though).
any ideas?

Not specifically (sorry), however I have ridden with a few paraolympic cyclists around these parts. For various physiologic reasons some of them have one side of the body stronger than the other. They can all kick my ass on hills, flat stretches. With the right peddling economy they seem to have smooth form.
How's your leg speed?

kindablue 11-14-12 10:31 PM

Went to the gym with the intention of goblet squats, pendaly rows, romanian dead lifts, front squats, and plank exercises. Wow my hamstrings/IT bands are tight. I spent some time in between sets stretching and using the foam rollers. OMG those hurt, I'd rather be doing 2x20s than using the rollers.
Ran into a guy wearing a USPCC t shirt (us pro cycling challenge). Turns out he is a former Olympic Track cyclist who once trained with Ripptoe. Weird huh? He gave me some advice for front squats. Boy, I have a long way to go with my form. I have 3 weeks of AA to get it working.

Ordered "Starting Strength" and a foam roller when I got home.

sstang13 11-14-12 10:44 PM

This is great, I was just thinking about a strength training plan today, thanks!

benajah 11-14-12 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindablue (Post 14949894)
Not specifically (sorry), however I have ridden with a few paraolympic cyclists around these parts. For various physiologic reasons some of them have one side of the body stronger than the other. They can all kick my ass on hills, flat stretches. With the right peddling economy they seem to have smooth form.
How's your leg speed?

I've ridden with a lot of the guy athletes as well, and it's amazing how fast they are despite the limitations....way, way past me.
In terms of leg speed, I can cruise comfortably long distance at about 90-93 RPM, hit 115 in a sprint, but I have a prosthetic leg and any faster and my stump starts slipping around inside the socket that I can't really manage it, starts to feel like the legs going to come off. Hard to describe to someone who can't directly experience it but when you get real sweaty there is a layer of water between the leg and the gel liner that protects the skin, which directly contacts the carbon fiber socket, so when you lose smooth pedaling form, such as in a sprint, you start to feel like you have no leg connection to the bike on the prosthetic side.
the closest I can describe it is try to imagine sprinting on platform pedals wearing leather soled dress shoes. Real slippy.
I raced for 12 years before losing the leg in 2005, a somewhat exciting encounter with some landmines in Afghanistan, so I know how it's "supposed" to feel and that kind of mentally messes with you a bit.

kindablue 11-14-12 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benajah (Post 14950014)
I've ridden with a lot of the guy athletes as well, and it's amazing how fast they are despite the limitations....way, way past me.
In terms of leg speed, I can cruise comfortably long distance at about 90-93 RPM, hit 120, 125 in a sprint, but I have a prosthetic leg and any faster and my stump starts slipping around inside the socket that I can't really manage it, starts to feel like the legs going to come off.

Nice leg speed.
You know, I've never really thought of that. I suppose the socket design makes a huge difference for athletes with amputations. I know there are sockets that have that "screw" and latch design (sorry I don't know what its actually called), and I've heard of suction models. I wonder what the paralympian guys use.

valygrl 11-15-12 08:11 AM

Started strength training this week, for the first time in years. Ow. That is all.

benajah 11-15-12 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kindablue (Post 14950060)
Nice leg speed.
You know, I've never really thought of that. I suppose the socket design makes a huge difference for athletes with amputations. I know there are sockets that have that "screw" and latch design (sorry I don't know what its actually called), and I've heard of suction models. I wonder what the paralympian guys use.

drifting off topic, but in a way I think this is relevant in that it affects gym work as much as bike work.
The screw/latch design (called a pin system usually) is far and away the best commonly available system for riding a bike, because you can eliminate having that second gel "sleeve" bunching up behind the knee that you have with a suction system. Tears your skin up with friction on a bike as well as reducing how much you can bend your knee in the gym. I rode a tour from San Francisco to San Diego with a suction system and the back of my knee looked like hamburger when I was done, just raw meat.
the suction system is much more natural feeling fit, feels less "mechanical", and tends to be preferred for walking. I have both, and use my pin system socket for riding and general everyday wear, and my suction system for mountaineering and backpacking, my other big hobby.

rkwaki 11-15-12 09:11 AM

Last night
Leg Extension
Hamstring Curls
Squats
Box pushes to exhaustion
Leg Extensions
Hamstring Curls

I was a complete mess.

sstang13 11-19-12 09:50 PM

How about hips and glutes? Like kettel bell swings. Is that important also? Because I sometimes find that when down in the drops, I use my hips more, and I've also heard about how glutes are important for cycling.

sandw1 11-19-12 10:42 PM

I'm a firm believer in deadlifts and front squats (don't even bother with back squats) for lower body strength that can translate well for cycling, and they are satisfying to do as well. These two exercises are about all I do for lower body, other than some calf exercises here and there. High reps / low weight is probably better for cyclists, but I mix in heavy weight and low reps as well. You'll feel it on the bike the next day. Be really careful with your form on these exercises. Keep the back flat. I see guys with rounded backs on deadlifts in the gym all the time. I don't know how they don't snap in two.

misterwaterfall 11-20-12 06:44 PM

I'm thinking about working in a 5x5 type routine into my training, I don't know how to keep riding my bike if I'm lifting legs twice a week though

kindablue 11-23-12 09:20 PM

Is there any farking point to heel raises? I did some tonight, but couldn't figure out why.

ridethecliche 11-23-12 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall (Post 14969629)
I'm thinking about working in a 5x5 type routine into my training, I don't know how to keep riding my bike if I'm lifting legs twice a week though

It's the off season. Ride easy to work the crud outta your legs.

Once you lift for a couple of weeks, you'll just have residual soreness for a day. Shouldn't really affect riding that much. Plan for an easy day the day after a big leg workout.

Most 5x5 programs start you off light, so you'll get used to it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 PM.