Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    10,414
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    The only people in their late 20's, early 30's making 6-figures as attorneys are associates in Big Law
    incorrect

    edit: oh wait, i didn't see the "as attorneys" part.. nevermind!
    Last edited by mattm; 01-04-13 at 04:01 PM.
    Cat 1 o-meter: 24/35 points

    Race Ready app | Race Results app | Steephill.ios app

    blog

  2. #27
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier trestina Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecanne Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2
    Posts
    26,711
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    That was rather presumptuous.

    The only people in their late 20's, early 30's making 6-figures as attorneys are associates in Big Law (well, actually quite a few in boutique IP firms do, too, but different story). I have met more Big Law associates who hate their jobs and quit after 3-4 years than people who are staying course. Maybe she doesn't like Big Law and the 80+ hour workweek it demands.

    Last time I checked, most, if not all Ph.D. students receive funding of some sort. It may not be much, but tuition is covered and there should be some stipend as well (which may be in the form of compensation for TA duties). Unless the "$50,000" to which you refer is an opportunity cost, it's mostly a moot point.

    Which leads back to the "rationality" of it all. How do you price quality of life and the risk of mental breakdown into the equation? I don't have to tell you how competitive big law is and how the associates are very qualified, but when a significant proportion of them quit after 3-4 years for a profession that pays less because they don't like the lifestyle, do you say that they are all making an irrational choice?
    ar
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    I believe he was referring to the $100,000 being roughly $33,000 a year missed salary x 3 years. $50,000 in loans or out of pocket.

    Not getting involved in the argument, but that's just how I read it.
    No, I meant $100,000 a year. The firms I was a partner in, and the firms I hire now start assoicates out over $100,000 a year. Graduate toward the top of your class at a school like Emory, and you get that kind of job.

    It does however as pointed out come with trqadeoffs, most notably working your ass off nights and weekends for a number of years.

    I get that there are things other than money. I should have said"economically rational".

    My point is that she is taking a huge financial haircut. The English PHD will be of zero help if she practices law, and the JD will be of extremly limited value as an English academic, certainly not enough to cver 3 years of law school.

    So she has to be doing this for non economic reasons, because it is a terrible business case. Assuming she's sure that it's what she wants, that's great, and I admire her courage. There are lots of lawyers who make lots of money and hate their jobs. Just realize she's making a very heavy dollar bet here.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    No, I meant $100,000 a year. The firms I was a partner in, and the firms I hire now start assoicates out over $100,000 a year. Graduate toward the top of your class at a school like Emory, and you get that kind of job.
    I only have anecdotal evidence, but 100k is starting for good firms in a medium size market. In a bigger cities (LA, SF, Houston, NYC, DC) it'll be much higher than that. For the biggest firms in the biggest markets, it's a race for 200k.

  4. #29
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,710
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you get into track racing as many roadies do when they live near a track:

    - University of Washington is a few minutes from Marymore Velodrome.
    - Penn State is about an hour from Trexlertown velodrome (They host some of the fastest racing in the country. Even some international UCI races in the summer).
    - University of Oregon is about 2 hours from Alpenrose Velodrome.

  5. #30
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Seattle was too rainy for her, I think Eugene will be too.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  6. #31
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1g View Post
    Virginia Tech has awesome outdoors opportunities, particularly if you like hills. Bring your climbing gears! Some of the climbs are steep,steeper, and "you're kidding/killing me" (the final climb of the Mountains of Misery ride). The Blue Ridge Parkway, New River gorge, Appalachian Trail, West-by-God-Virginia, and Shenandoah Valley are all relatively nearby. Blacksburg is a reasonably-priced area (as Southwest VA is in general), although as the 800 pound gorilla, ~25,000 Tech students + faculty & other staff distorts the housing market a bit. B'burg is definitely a college town, Christiansburg much less so. Go west a bit towards Pearisburg and it gets very rural fast. Pace of life is generally slower, too. Professional employment might be an issue for you (not that much in Blacksburg or nearby Christiansburg). You may feel a bit isolated, and retail shopping may feel limited. Nearest city of any size is Roanoke (1 hr up I-81), DC is approx a 5 hr drive (depending on how low/fast you fly and your luck with speed traps and I-81 truck traffic). Nearest airports of any capacity are Dulles and maybe Richmond. While SW VA is politically conservative, it isn't THAT judgemental, and the college-oriented population around Tech is significantly less so. The school is a land-grant with some very nice architecture and has been steadily expanding and renovating. Via their NoVA graduate program campus, they have extensive relationships with Federal agencies and the DC-area high tech community; this may be important to your fiancee's career interests.

    Your fiancee is making an investment of time, effort, and $ (depending on availability of grants, TA and RA-ships) and should put the quality and financial aspects of the program ahead of the cycling and outdoors opportunities. Possibly modified by whatever requirements the two of you have for your employment. Outdoor stuff would be #3 at least in my order of importance. Congrats (on the engagement) and good luck to both of you!


    I would agree with this assessment 100% and part of the reason why I like it here as much as I do. My wife is finishing up here PHD this year but we like it enough to want to stay. There are jobs here outside of the university, most are techy jobs and are very competitive to get and don't pay as much as they should but it's a trade off for those who like a small town and the outdoors.
    If you don't talk to your cat about catnip, who will? =^.^=

  7. #32
    Senior Member Duke of Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Focus Raven 29er, Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    Posts
    4,567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to update this thread.

    Virginia Tech ended up being the winner for her/us.

    She ended up visiting Utah, Oregon, VT and Penn State. Narrowed it down to Utah and VT. After that, some further digging and talking to the students within each program, and VT came out on top.

    We've found a pretty awesome place to live, not too far from the local MTB trails. Based on what friends have told me, research and my time racing bikes as a college student, VT has a pretty stacked cycling team, and I'd imagine racing around there is pretty good as well, both road and on the dirt. Looking forward to getting some miles in my legs up in them thar hills!
    "If a non personal post makes you feel as if you've been attacked, maybe the problem IS you."

  8. #33
    No matches Flatballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    two wheeled ones
    Posts
    10,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how it is now, but when I was racing college in the ACCC (2008-2010), VT and Navy were the big dogs, with App a close third. Navy was mostly strong in women's, because they had a lot of them.
    It's a bike race, not a tea party. - GirlAnachronism

  9. #34
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,065
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Good luck to both of you
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •