Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 103 of 114 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2849
  1. #2551
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,175
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SJBC Twilight Crit, A's. Won it again.

    Only 12 laps/24 miles this week, so it seemed short. Larger field, but no heavy hitters. I guess I'm considered a "heavy hitter" there now lol.

    Parts of me were a bit sore, getting on the bike the first time after Saturday's doozy of a crash, but I soon forgot all about that and felt normal. Went with the usual moves on the climb, and into the headwind, but as usual didn't do too much work to save up for the sprint.

    Pack stayed together this time, I was 3rd wheel on the finish straight, maybe 500m to the line? On TT-champ's wheel, and he led me out like a champ and dropped me off at the bottom of the 3-5% hill. (finish was near the top this week). I sprinted for what felt like FOREVER (about 30 seconds, maybe more), in 53x11, and slowed considerably but nobody came around.

    Win, crash, win - all in a week's time. It's just how I roll.
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

  2. #2552
    Senior Member rankin116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Troylet
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job man, congrats.

  3. #2553
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    .... I guess I'm considered a "heavy hitter" there now lol.

    ....
    super cool.
    ...

  4. #2554
    Senior Member JohnKScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    My Bikes
    None yo damn binness
    Posts
    3,120
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job mattm!

  5. #2555
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,175
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx peeps!
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

  6. #2556
    Senior Member JohnKScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    My Bikes
    None yo damn binness
    Posts
    3,120
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  7. #2557
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,792
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go, mattm! way to rebound after a week with a crash.

  8. #2558
    Arrogant Roadie Punk save10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,079
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re: SJBC tuesday crit....do you have to be on SJBC to do this? also congrats

  9. #2559
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,175
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx dudes!

    Quote Originally Posted by save10 View Post
    re: SJBC tuesday crit....do you have to be on SJBC to do this? also congrats
    You just pay an extra $5 ($15 total) to race.

    Btw next week is the last one for this season! http://www.teamsanjose.org/twilights/
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

  10. #2560
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,107
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    SJBC Twilight Crit, A's. Won it again.

    Only 12 laps/24 miles this week, so it seemed short. Larger field, but no heavy hitters. I guess I'm considered a "heavy hitter" there now lol.

    Parts of me were a bit sore, getting on the bike the first time after Saturday's doozy of a crash, but I soon forgot all about that and felt normal. Went with the usual moves on the climb, and into the headwind, but as usual didn't do too much work to save up for the sprint.

    Pack stayed together this time, I was 3rd wheel on the finish straight, maybe 500m to the line? On TT-champ's wheel, and he led me out like a champ and dropped me off at the bottom of the 3-5% hill. (finish was near the top this week). I sprinted for what felt like FOREVER (about 30 seconds, maybe more), in 53x11, and slowed considerably but nobody came around.

    Win, crash, win - all in a week's time. It's just how I roll.
    Nice!

    Also, got a hype up email from Red Kite letting everyone know that you're in the hunt for the omnium. Good work and good luck on the next two races.

  11. #2561
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,175
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    Nice!

    Also, got a hype up email from Red Kite letting everyone know that you're in the hunt for the omnium. Good work and good luck on the next two races.
    Thanks!

    Yeah I'm 3rd overall in the 2/3's, but I will probably skip the TT this weekend, and since 4th place is only one point behind me he'll take 3rd for now. (he's signed up for the TT)

    Then in the last crit I just have to beat him by ~6 places to get 3rd back.. It's risky, but that's how much I hate TTs..
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

  12. #2562
    Senior Member Inquisitor.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grant Park Criterium - Cat 5, 9/24


    This was my first race after returning home from Afghanistan. It had been pouring rain constantly all week. Luckily, the rain took a break just before my son did a kids race and started back up shortly after I finished my race. I was beaming when my son took 3rd place in the 5-6 year old race.

    It felt great riding on a real bicycle again, and I was gathering some good data on my new power meter leading up to the race. It looks like my FTP is about 280w, and I'm pretty happy with my power for efforts 5 min and greater. However, my power numbers for shorter durations are somewhat lacking. I figured that my best chance of doing well would be to stick with the pack, then try to break away in the last 10 minutes. That didn't happen...

    The course was about .9 miles with a steep downhill and moderate uphill, and wasn't very technical. I was sitting about 10-15 riders back during the first prime and didn't try to contest it because of my lackluster sprint power. 7 riders from 2 teams formed a break after the prime and were about 15-20 seconds off the front. In hindsight, I definitely could have bridged if I had tried within 1-2 laps. Unfortunately, I never pulled the trigger.

    I spent the rest of the race doing the majority of the work in the chase group that started off with about 10 riders and whittled down to 5. The others weren't doing very hard pulls and it was obvious that the break would stay away, so I figured I'd use the race to see what I was capable of. I ended up producing some of my best power numbers to date.

    I wasn't really planning on fighting for 8th place in the last lap, but when people started picking up speed in the final straight, I decided to put in one last push. I came from the back of the chase, and squeaked out 2nd in the group right at the line.

    Overall, I felt strong and have a much better idea what I need to work on. Hopefully, I can keep training hard and start winning races down the road.

  13. #2563
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,658
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great work, man. Welcome home.

  14. #2564
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor. View Post
    Grant Park Criterium - Cat 5, 9/24


    This was my first race after returning home from Afghanistan. It had been pouring rain constantly all week. Luckily, the rain took a break just before my son did a kids race and started back up shortly after I finished my race. I was beaming when my son took 3rd place in the 5-6 year old race.

    It felt great riding on a real bicycle again, and I was gathering some good data on my new power meter leading up to the race. It looks like my FTP is about 280w, and I'm pretty happy with my power for efforts 5 min and greater. However, my power numbers for shorter durations are somewhat lacking. I figured that my best chance of doing well would be to stick with the pack, then try to break away in the last 10 minutes. That didn't happen...

    The course was about .9 miles with a steep downhill and moderate uphill, and wasn't very technical. I was sitting about 10-15 riders back during the first prime and didn't try to contest it because of my lackluster sprint power. 7 riders from 2 teams formed a break after the prime and were about 15-20 seconds off the front. In hindsight, I definitely could have bridged if I had tried within 1-2 laps. Unfortunately, I never pulled the trigger.

    I spent the rest of the race doing the majority of the work in the chase group that started off with about 10 riders and whittled down to 5. The others weren't doing very hard pulls and it was obvious that the break would stay away, so I figured I'd use the race to see what I was capable of. I ended up producing some of my best power numbers to date.

    I wasn't really planning on fighting for 8th place in the last lap, but when people started picking up speed in the final straight, I decided to put in one last push. I came from the back of the chase, and squeaked out 2nd in the group right at the line.

    Overall, I felt strong and have a much better idea what I need to work on. Hopefully, I can keep training hard and start winning races down the road.
    Awesome way to start racing! Keep working at it; you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and know what to work on.

    Also, welcome home
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

  15. #2565
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,667
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    That's great work, man. Welcome home.
    +1
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  16. #2566
    Senior Member chiefDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Texas
    My Bikes
    11 cervelo R3, 12 s-works venge, 13 Santa Cruz tall boy
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome home brother and thanks for your service!

    Nice race for both you and your son. Enjoy that Family time as you earned it.

  17. #2567
    Senior Member JohnKScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    My Bikes
    None yo damn binness
    Posts
    3,120
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor. View Post
    Grant Park Criterium - Cat 5, 9/24


    This was my first race after returning home from Afghanistan. It had been pouring rain constantly all week. Luckily, the rain took a break just before my son did a kids race and started back up shortly after I finished my race. I was beaming when my son took 3rd place in the 5-6 year old race.

    It felt great riding on a real bicycle again, and I was gathering some good data on my new power meter leading up to the race. It looks like my FTP is about 280w, and I'm pretty happy with my power for efforts 5 min and greater. However, my power numbers for shorter durations are somewhat lacking. I figured that my best chance of doing well would be to stick with the pack, then try to break away in the last 10 minutes. That didn't happen...

    The course was about .9 miles with a steep downhill and moderate uphill, and wasn't very technical. I was sitting about 10-15 riders back during the first prime and didn't try to contest it because of my lackluster sprint power. 7 riders from 2 teams formed a break after the prime and were about 15-20 seconds off the front. In hindsight, I definitely could have bridged if I had tried within 1-2 laps. Unfortunately, I never pulled the trigger.

    I spent the rest of the race doing the majority of the work in the chase group that started off with about 10 riders and whittled down to 5. The others weren't doing very hard pulls and it was obvious that the break would stay away, so I figured I'd use the race to see what I was capable of. I ended up producing some of my best power numbers to date.

    I wasn't really planning on fighting for 8th place in the last lap, but when people started picking up speed in the final straight, I decided to put in one last push. I came from the back of the chase, and squeaked out 2nd in the group right at the line.

    Overall, I felt strong and have a much better idea what I need to work on. Hopefully, I can keep training hard and start winning races down the road.
    Nice job! Welcome home and thanks for your service! Congrats to the youngin' too!

  18. #2568
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,040
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    That's great work, man. Welcome home.
    +1 sweet

  19. #2569
    »\_(ツ)_/» Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,773
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait 'til they find out you were in Afghanistan protesting.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  20. #2570
    »\_(ツ)_/» Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,773
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLR
    CCCX 2/3s - 4th of maybe 15 or 20
    CCCX 3/4 - 1st of 25ish
    ----------

    First was the 2/3 race. Only 20ish guys.

    Small field => huge attacks right off the bat. Less hiding meant we were 8 guys after 1 4-mile lap. The pace was just brutal. At some point 1 specialized development team kid took off solo. He soloed for 2 or 3 laps while the guys in my group argued about who would pull.

    I usually get irritated with that behavior and fall for it and do the pulling. After a lap of it today I was like, well, wtf, "that's racing", and shut it down. I dangled on the back of the group.

    The game-players were right and we caught the poor solo kid on the final descent before the finish. Of the 8 I finished 4th, which is an improvement in my break-riding results. I actually passed 2 guys in the sprint. I was happy.

    stats: 26 miles, 22.8mph, 2000ft climbed, AP 305 (!), NP 345 (!!) - both highs for a race hour that wasn't a pure hill.

    2nd race of the day was 3/4s and started exactly 10min after my first race finished.

    First lap uneventful. 2nd lap I jumped and started a 3-man break. All 3 of us had at least a teammate in the field and we stayed away for 20 of the 55 minutes. When we were caught there were 5 to make 8, down from 25 or so at the start.

    The 8 of us rode a couple of laps with a few going-nowhere attacks.

    The last lap my teammate and I were feeling antsy. The pace had been kind of slow so I jumped. After getting a 50m gap I felt all the miles from yesterday and the previous race and knew I wasn't going to solo for long. I sat down and made the group chase.

    When I was caught, my teammate jumped to a 50m gap. I sat on and watched the guys look at each other until someone pulled him back in. When we caught him I flew up on the inside and did it again, getting maybe 100m this time. When I was caught, my teammate countered.

    It was so much ****ing fun. Those 6 other guys ran themselves ragged covering our attacks, and aside from the 30s jumps, we sat in and coasted. We repeated that attack-counter game 3 solid times heading into the final climb. On the final climb I went to the front, hit the corner so hard I nearly crashed, then jumped and hammered it.

    It's a stair-step climb, so at the top of the first step I looked at my gap. It was huge. No one wanted to chase me down, up a hill and into a stiff wind. I saw that and went for it. Buried it on the flat while I was out of sight, shifted to the little ring and threshold-climbed/TT'd up the steps, down the descent and through the finish.

    I was clear by 30 seconds, at least.

    Good times. They totally erase the nasty taste I had from yesterdays RR.
    Last edited by Ygduf; 08-25-13 at 09:03 PM. Reason: weird spacing

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  21. #2571
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,040
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    TLR
    CCCX 2/3s - 4th of maybe 15 or 20
    CCCX 3/4 - 1st of 25ish
    ----------

    First was the 2/3 race. Only 20ish guys.

    Small field => huge attacks right off the bat. Less hiding meant we were 8 guys after 1 4-mile lap. The pace was just brutal. At some point 1 specialized development team kid took off solo. He soloed for 2 or 3 laps while the guys in my group argued about who would pull.

    I usually get irritated with that behavior and fall for it and do the pulling. After a lap of it today I was like, well, wtf, "that's racing", and shut it down. I dangled on the back of the group.

    The game-players were right and we caught the poor solo kid on the final descent before the finish. Of the 8 I finished 4th, which is an improvement in my break-riding results. I actually passed 2 guys in the sprint. I was happy.

    stats: 26 miles, 22.8mph, 2000ft climbed, AP 305 (!), NP 345 (!!) - both highs for a race hour that wasn't a pure hill.

    2nd race of the day was 3/4s and started exactly 10min after my first race finished.

    First lap uneventful. 2nd lap I jumped and started a 3-man break. All 3 of us had at least a teammate in the field and we stayed away for 20 of the 55 minutes. When we were caught there were 5 to make 8, down from 25 or so at the start.

    The 8 of us rode a couple of laps with a few going-nowhere attacks.

    The last lap my teammate and I were feeling antsy. The pace had been kind of slow so I jumped. After getting a 50m gap I felt all the miles from yesterday and the previous race and knew I wasn't going to solo for long. I sat down and made the group chase.

    When I was caught, my teammate jumped to a 50m gap. I sat on and watched the guys look at each other until someone pulled him back in. When we caught him I flew up on the inside and did it again, getting maybe 100m this time. When I was caught, my teammate countered.

    It was so much ****ing fun. Those 6 other guys ran themselves ragged covering our attacks, and aside from the 30s jumps, we sat in and coasted. We repeated that attack-counter game 3 solid times heading into the final climb. On the final climb I went to the front, hit the corner so hard I nearly crashed, then jumped and hammered it.

    It's a stair-step climb, so at the top of the first step I looked at my gap. It was huge. No one wanted to chase me down, up a hill and into a stiff wind. I saw that and went for it. Buried it on the flat while I was out of sight, shifted to the little ring and threshold-climbed/TT'd up the steps, down the descent and through the finish.

    I was clear by 30 seconds, at least.

    Good times. They totally erase the nasty taste I had from yesterdays RR.


    Very nice, congrats. Those team-up on the breakaways can really work out well and can be a blast. We've even managed to pwn another team in a 2 vs. 2 four-man break, just by being the aggressors and capitalizing on their lack of decision making -- going 1-2 in the finish.

    Well done.

  22. #2572
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    604
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raced a "kermesse" today. It will probably be the first and last that I do.

  23. #2573
    Killing Rabbits
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,682
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    The pace had been kind of slow so I jumped. After getting a 50m gap I felt all the miles from yesterday and the previous race and knew I wasn't going to solo for long. I sat down and made the group chase.

    When I was caught, my teammate jumped to a 50m gap. I sat on and watched the guys look at each other until someone pulled him back in. When we caught him I flew up on the inside and did it again, getting maybe 100m this time. When I was caught, my teammate countered.

    It was so much ****ing fun. Those 6 other guys ran themselves ragged covering our attacks
    Nice.

  24. #2574
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,175
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfall View Post
    I raced a "kermesse" today. It will probably be the first and last that I do.
    Ronde Ohop?
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

  25. #2575
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,175
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    TLR
    CCCX 2/3s - 4th of maybe 15 or 20
    CCCX 3/4 - 1st of 25ish
    Dude, niiiiice!!

    I didn't think anyone was gonna show up to cccx so I went out and did Vacaville instead.

    Awesome that you rocked it out there!! Congrats.
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •