Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-14, 06:05 PM   #1351
mike868y
avatar by Sean Powers
 
mike868y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: charm city
Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro
Posts: 8,900
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
progress has been made.


saw 117.5 this morning, fully empty (post poop (tmi, sorry), dehydrated, hungry). i'd like to race at 120, meaning fully loaded (hydrated and fed). guessing i've got another 2 or 3lbs to lose to get to this point.
mike868y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-14, 12:36 PM   #1352
Wesley36
Senior Member
 
Wesley36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My confirmation bias is telling me this analysis is solid (FWIW, I am about 5-6lbs above my weight last season).

http://www.cxmagazine.com/training-t...on-weight-loss

Quote:
Matt Fitzgerald: In my Racing Weight book I talk about the eight percent rule, which is the idea that at no time should you ever weigh more than eight percent more than your ideal racing weight. Now, thatís sort of an average: I surveyed various sports nutritionists and athletes and coaches and came up with that. There are some who think, ĎOh, you shouldnít gain any weight,í but thatís sort of a general rule of thumb that I think serves the purpose of giving people permission to gain a little weight because I think it is unavoidable if youíre not at peak levels of training. You have to expect to gain some weight, but it gives you a way to quantify your limits so you donít completely let yourself go and itís also important to keep in mind that thatís eight percent more than your ideal racing weight, not eight percent more than whatever you happen to weigh when your off-season begins.
Wesley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 11:28 AM   #1353
Ygduf 
Į\_(ツ)_/Į
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,472
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Maybe just for @rkwaki , but before a long road race, any thoughts regarding taking creatine to increase intra-muscular water retention to build a hydration safety net.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 11:31 AM   #1354
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,880
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
dunno but if you've got a drug test coming up…

http://ask.metafilter.com/243145/How...-this-pee-test
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 12:18 PM   #1355
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
Maybe just for @rkwaki , but before a long road race, any thoughts regarding taking creatine to increase intra-muscular water retention to build a hydration safety net.
There are tons of papers on creatine hyperhydration, it works.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 12:25 PM   #1356
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
dunno but if you've got a drug test coming up…

http://ask.metafilter.com/243145/How...-this-pee-test
I had to write a paper on this topic for a special project in university. While the technique won't beat a GC-MS scan it can beat the simple dipstick screen if done correctly.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 12:37 PM   #1357
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I over ate last week. Too much cake. I tell people no birthday parties until 2016, so what happens, three surprise parties.
furiousferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 01:01 PM   #1358
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dunno if I would use creatine while cycling. I have been on it for a couple months, and if you don't drink enough, you get really dehyrdated. I can see that being a problem at the end of long road races.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 02:14 PM   #1359
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Does creatine supplementation hinder exercise heat tolerance or hydration status? A systematic review with meta-analyses. <-- free full text
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19295968


Putting to rest the myth of creatine supplementation leading to muscle cramps and dehydration.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18184753
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 02:20 PM   #1360
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,880
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
My confirmation bias is telling me this analysis is solid (FWIW, I am about 5-6lbs above my weight last season).

http://www.cxmagazine.com/training-t...on-weight-loss
If I gained 8% I'd have trouble walking.

I don't really gain more than 5 pounds.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 03:32 PM   #1361
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
My confirmation bias is telling me this analysis is solid (FWIW, I am about 5-6lbs above my weight last season).

http://www.cxmagazine.com/training-t...on-weight-loss
That's freaking crazy yo. It took me 3 months of "bulking" (eating everything in sight and lots of time in the gym) to put on 8% from my race weight. If anyone is gaining 8% every year, they are going to have problems in the long term.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 09:07 AM   #1362
Wesley36
Senior Member
 
Wesley36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
Putting to rest the myth of creatine supplementation leading to muscle cramps and dehydration.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18184753
I realize that there are now a number of peer reviewed studies showing no relation between cramping and creatine supplementation, but dang, since I have been on creatine cramping seems like a much bigger problem than it has ever been before. Perhaps creatine supplementation is enabling me to load on more TSS, causing more fatigue, thus I am cramping more? I dunno.

I realize that creatine is not typically recommended for endurance activities like cycling, but a few studies have demonstrated that long term vegetarians and vegans have their cognitive capacity increased by supplementing with creatine, and this in turn might be related to changes in glucose homeostasis. I realize that I am going out on a limb and speculatively interpreting the evidence, but what the heck, doesn't cost me much to experiment with creatine for the first part of the season and see how it goes - could creatine have an ergogenic effect on vegan endurance athletes that does not show up in omnivorous athletes? Perhaps not, but also, perhaps it will help my z7 work? Like I said, I am experimenting at this point, don't really think I have much to lose.

Oh, and I was vegan from ~1998 to this year, I have reintroduced eggs, but otherwise I remain a vegetarian who avoids dairy.
Wesley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 09:49 AM   #1363
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...
Thread Starter
 
rkwaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nayr497's BFF
Bikes:
Posts: 8,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
I realize that there are now a number of peer reviewed studies showing no relation between cramping and creatine supplementation, but dang, since I have been on creatine cramping seems like a much bigger problem than it has ever been before. Perhaps creatine supplementation is enabling me to load on more TSS, causing more fatigue, thus I am cramping more? I dunno.

I realize that creatine is not typically recommended for endurance activities like cycling, but a few studies have demonstrated that long term vegetarians and vegans have their cognitive capacity increased by supplementing with creatine, and this in turn might be related to changes in glucose homeostasis. I realize that I am going out on a limb and speculatively interpreting the evidence, but what the heck, doesn't cost me much to experiment with creatine for the first part of the season and see how it goes - could creatine have an ergogenic effect on vegan endurance athletes that does not show up in omnivorous athletes? Perhaps not, but also, perhaps it will help my z7 work? Like I said, I am experimenting at this point, don't really think I have much to lose.

Oh, and I was vegan from ~1998 to this year, I have reintroduced eggs, but otherwise I remain a vegetarian who avoids dairy.
I thought you said virgin....
Bwahahahahahaha
rkwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 10:50 AM   #1364
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
but a few studies have demonstrated that long term vegetarians and vegans have their cognitive capacity increased by supplementing with meat
fify
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 12:27 PM   #1365
Wesley36
Senior Member
 
Wesley36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
but a few studies have demonstrated that long term vegetarians and vegans have their cognitive capacity increased by supplementing with meat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
fify


lol, also unintentional irony points. This is part of what makes these studies so interesting - both supplementing and non-supplementing groups of "meat-eaters" had the same, lower level of cognitive functioning as the non-supplementing vegetarian/vegans. Out of the four groups, only the vegetarians/vegans who supplemented with creatine demonstrated a statistically significant cognitive advantage. Like all interesting scientific findings, it raises all sorts of new questions - like, what would we see if we added a longitudinal element - is this heightened cognitive functioning a temporary phenomenon, or can it be sustained? If it can be sustained, what happens if vegetarian/vegans who are supplementing with creatine begin eating meat, do they lose the cognitive advantage?
Attached Images
File Type: gif crayon%u00252Bhomer.gif (32.3 KB, 3 views)
Wesley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 12:33 PM   #1366
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was at 8% above ideal race weight in January. I was fricken' fat and don't want to get there again. ever.

back on track now, and I've not really dieted or counted calories. I pretty much switched when I ate the majority of my calories, have gone heavier on protein, and lighter on the beers and sweets (but not given up altogether).

seems to be working and not negatively impacting training at all.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 01:15 PM   #1367
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
I realize that there are now a number of peer reviewed studies showing no relation between cramping and creatine supplementation, but dang, since I have been on creatine cramping seems like a much bigger problem than it has ever been before. Perhaps creatine supplementation is enabling me to load on more TSS, causing more fatigue, thus I am cramping more? I dunno.

I realize that creatine is not typically recommended for endurance activities like cycling, but a few studies have demonstrated that long term vegetarians and vegans have their cognitive capacity increased by supplementing with creatine, and this in turn might be related to changes in glucose homeostasis. I realize that I am going out on a limb and speculatively interpreting the evidence, but what the heck, doesn't cost me much to experiment with creatine for the first part of the season and see how it goes - could creatine have an ergogenic effect on vegan endurance athletes that does not show up in omnivorous athletes? Perhaps not, but also, perhaps it will help my z7 work? Like I said, I am experimenting at this point, don't really think I have much to lose.

Oh, and I was vegan from ~1998 to this year, I have reintroduced eggs, but otherwise I remain a vegetarian who avoids dairy.
I eat Paleo, and have found that (a) I have no trouble maintaining my racing weight, and (b) despite missing the base season recovering from a crash, my metabolic equivalency point (where I start burning more 'carbs' than 'fat') is surprisingly far up the exertion ladder. Of course I also have excellent coaching, and isolating one variable is difficult at best. When I was using a protein mix for recovery, I'd mix in Creatine (and L-Glutamine). No idea whether it was beneficial or not. Now I grab nuts, or if I'm home, cook up some bacon and eggs.

"Death by Food Pyramid" is a great read. The author (Denise Minger) systematically rips apart quite a few studies, and teaches you how to do the same - how to be an enlightened consumer of scientific information. She is especially adept at separating correlation from causation, and pointing out the leaps many study authors make in order to support their initial hypotheses. When you can see the same correlations between heart disease in protein heavy diets, carb heavy diets, and the ownership of TV sets and cell phones, you kind of need to test for causation, which requires a controlled study (and usually human Guinea Pigs). I try to look for correlation, a reasonable understanding of what is happening bio-chemically, then ideally a controlled double-blind honest to god experiment. There are very few of those in this area.

I've been reading a LOT on nutrition, and Minger's book is the best I've found so far at looking at diet without 'religious adherence' to any single approach. Her summary of what is included, and excluded, in the most 'successful' diets around the world down though the ages is truly enlightening. There is most definitely some common ground, even between such apparent divergent approaches as Paleo and Vegetarianism.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 01:49 PM   #1368
Wesley36
Senior Member
 
Wesley36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This kind of sums up my take on the whole thing:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegans-and-paleos/

Quote:
Though we focus on the differences in our diets, and fight like pissed-off hornets as a result, the healthy versions of both Paleo and vegan diets look an awful lot alike.
Here are just a few of the things we agree on:
  • Vegetables are good, and organic vegetables are better.
  • Nuts are good.
  • Fruits are good (with some qualifications).
  • Fast food is awful.
  • It isn’t natural or healthy for adult humans to drink milk meant for baby cows.
  • Whole food is crucial; we should eat food as close to its natural state as possible.
  • Processed food is evil, and there’s something very wrong with the system that is foisting it upon us.
Do you realize what a small minority these shared beliefs put us in?

Last edited by Wesley36; 03-06-14 at 01:52 PM.
Wesley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 07:50 PM   #1369
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
This kind of sums up my take on the whole thing:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegans-and-paleos/

Nicely stated. Minger's analysis is pretty similar. Here is the diagram she uses in her book:

__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 08:09 PM   #1370
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley36 View Post
Out of the four groups, only the vegetarians/vegans who supplemented with creatine demonstrated a statistically significant cognitive advantage. Like all interesting scientific findings, it raises all sorts of new questions - like, what would we see if we added a longitudinal element - is this heightened cognitive functioning a temporary phenomenon, or can it be sustained? If it can be sustained, what happens if vegetarian/vegans who are supplementing with creatine begin eating meat, do they lose the cognitive advantage?
I don't think advantage is the correct term. The vegetarians were the only group who statistically improved but I see no statement that the groups were matched for ability at the beginning or that they were outperforming omnivores afterwards. I think it is more likely that the vegetarians were underperforming at the beginning due to sub-optimal levels which agrees with other research that creatine is more ergogenic in vegetarians than omnivores due to a "catch up" effect. Both groups seem to hit the same saturation point with supplementation.
Enthalpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 09:15 PM   #1371
jsutkeepspining
Senior Member
 
jsutkeepspining's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
Bikes:
Posts: 4,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
I was at 8% above ideal race weight in January. I was fricken' fat and don't want to get there again. ever.

back on track now, and I've not really dieted or counted calories. I pretty much switched when I ate the majority of my calories, have gone heavier on protein, and lighter on the beers and sweets (but not given up altogether).

seems to be working and not negatively impacting training at all.
I make this mistake all the time during the off season. Right now i'm back down to race weight, but it's not rare to see me at nearly 165/170 in september after noming everything in sight. Lucky losing weight is still easy for me. I probably should eventually go on some type of regular dietary plan, but right now chipotle and cookies are a lot easier than healthy options.
jsutkeepspining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 04:06 AM   #1372
Wesley36
Senior Member
 
Wesley36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthalpic View Post
I don't think advantage is the correct term. The vegetarians were the only group who statistically improved but I see no statement that the groups were matched for ability at the beginning or that they were outperforming omnivores afterwards. I think it is more likely that the vegetarians were underperforming at the beginning due to sub-optimal levels which agrees with other research that creatine is more ergogenic in vegetarians than omnivores due to a "catch up" effect. Both groups seem to hit the same saturation point with supplementation.
Respectfully, I disagree.

British Journal of Nutrition (2011), 105, 1100–110

Page 1102:
Quote:
Preliminary analysis found that those who were vegetarian as opposed to meat-eaters, and those who subsequently consumed the placebo as opposed to creatine supplement, did not differ on the baseline performance of any test.
Page 1104:
Quote:
The major finding was that after supplementation, the memory of vegetarians was better than that of meat-eaters (Fig. 1). However, at base-line, memory did not differ depending on dietary style, so any hypothesised creatine deficiency in vegetarians did not influence memory, rather it was found that vegetarians were more sensitive to supplementation with creatine."

Last edited by Wesley36; 03-07-14 at 04:10 AM.
Wesley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 05:50 AM   #1373
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
I make this mistake all the time during the off season. Right now i'm back down to race weight, but it's not rare to see me at nearly 165/170 in september after noming everything in sight. Lucky losing weight is still easy for me. I probably should eventually go on some type of regular dietary plan, but right now chipotle and cookies are a lot easier than healthy options.
wut? chipotle isnt healthy? the hell you say.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 07:13 AM   #1374
echappist
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 8,794
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
I was at 8% above ideal race weight in January. I was fricken' fat and don't want to get there again. ever.

back on track now, and I've not really dieted or counted calories. I pretty much switched when I ate the majority of my calories, have gone heavier on protein, and lighter on the beers and sweets (but not given up altogether).

seems to be working and not negatively impacting training at all.
i'm telling myself i have until the end of the month before i need to clean up my act. Weight has been dropping steadily after i resumed regular training, and i'm barely into base-2 atm. I just need to lighten the eff up for Wintegreen (would be nice, but that important) and Tucker (gunning for a good result here). My weight is right at where my lowest weight was last year, but my waistline tells me i have about a bit more to go...
echappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 07:49 AM   #1375
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^you're quite a bit younger than I am, and if like me, it's easier for you to drop weight when you resume regular training than it is for me. as a 40-something, I have to monitor the food intake more and more carefully every year. the beers are very evil to my waistline.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.