Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39
  1. #26
    Member jerod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    When you throw up, pull to the side of the group.
    Haha, thanks for the tip!

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,486
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    I haven't ridden it, but I've seen it. It's like a 6-story building in elevation (80 ft). A lot of it is 14% grade. I think it will be a factor. In the recon ride, a local elite looks to have tackled it at 600W, and it took him 31 seconds at 13mph. That's going to leave a mark.
    Full lap: http://app.strava.com/segments/2735078
    The big hill: http://app.strava.com/segments/2675130
    hmmm, yeah, that would leave a mark no doubt. i didnt think it looked like that in the video.

    we have a crit that has similar climb, it's a bloodbath everyman for himself type of race after a couple few times up it, but it also has some technical turns into alleys and from wide->narrow roadways so that adds to the every man for himself aspect of it.

  3. #28
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
    hmmm, yeah, that would leave a mark no doubt. i didnt think it looked like that in the video.

    we have a crit that has similar climb, it's a bloodbath everyman for himself type of race after a couple few times up it, but it also has some technical turns into alleys and from wide->narrow roadways so that adds to the every man for himself aspect of it.
    Yeah, I can't quite tell how some of the corners are going to go in a bike race on that course. If an F1 car is going through at 15mph, bikes will probably be pushing it at 20mph?

    Would be a fun race to do, but I'm not doing it this year.

  4. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Boston MA
    My Bikes
    2006 CAAD 8 (R5000), 2002 Bianchi Giro bad weather bike/ghetto TT setup, very ugly 2001 GT ZRX CX bike, bianchi Brava trainer slave
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    Actually the race on the F 1 course is a circuit race,not a crit. ( a distinction that matters with regard to free laps).

    As for strategy, if you're gravity challenged, get to the front of the group at the start of each climb, then ride your own pace, to the extent possible, filtering back through the group, with the goal being to stay in contact with the back end of the main group by the top, or at least close enough to roll them up on the descent.

    This tactic works pretty well on relatively short climbs, and can allow you to hang with people that are better climbers, and avoid burning matches.

    In lower category races, I found a number of times, I ended up being the first over smaller climbs when I went to the front to start this tactic because no one was willing to come around and drive the pace to shed the fat guys like me.

    This is awesome advice. as a 215lb cyclist I have learned pretty quickly to get to the front before climbs, and then just try to hang on. I can usually move back up in the pack on downhills, and for me, its all about positioning for the sprint.

  5. #30
    Senior Member spectastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    undisclosed
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    1,979
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, I want to sign up for this, but the 4/5 is filled up. What's the 3/4/5 group going to be like compared to the 4/5?
    Last edited by spectastic; 08-18-13 at 02:26 PM.
    5/20

  6. #31
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,414
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    hey, I want to sign up for this, but the 4/5 is filled up. What's the 3/4/5 group going to be like compared to the 4/5?
    My guess would be that would be a lot of pain for most new 5's. In my experience, there's a fairly big gap from from Cat 3 to Cat 4. Take the stroongest riders in a Cat 4 race, and the entire Cat 3 field is made up of those riders.

    I would think that the 3's in a 3/4/5 race would drive the pace hard early to try and shell as many 5's as possible.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  7. #32
    Senior Member spectastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    undisclosed
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    1,979
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, the 3/4/5 race only opened up because the 4/5 race was filled up. The 3/4 and 2/3 races are still open. I was curious if this happened every year, and if so, how big was the 3/4/5 race? Did any 3's actually sign up for the 3/4/5 instead of the 3/4 or 2/3? I just want to get an idea of how big the field is going to be. I guess I should probably call them to find out.
    5/20

  8. #33
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Yeah, I can't quite tell how some of the corners are going to go in a bike race on that course. If an F1 car is going through at 15mph, bikes will probably be pushing it at 20mph?

    Would be a fun race to do, but I'm not doing it this year.
    This does not happen (anywhere, really). Minimum speed for a big, dumb sportscar at COTA is 45 mph.

  9. #34
    Senior Member Tyrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    well, the 3/4/5 race only opened up because the 4/5 race was filled up. The 3/4 and 2/3 races are still open. I was curious if this happened every year, and if so, how big was the 3/4/5 race? Did any 3's actually sign up for the 3/4/5 instead of the 3/4 or 2/3? I just want to get an idea of how big the field is going to be. I guess I should probably call them to find out.
    Keep your eyes open for more 4/5 spots opening up in the very near future possibly. *wink*

  10. #35
    Senior Member spectastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    undisclosed
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    1,979
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup, I got that email too. 100 people in a 4/5 race. let's all pray very hard we don't crash.
    5/20

  11. #36
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    12,362
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmuir View Post
    This is awesome advice. as a 215lb cyclist I have learned pretty quickly to get to the front before climbs, and then just try to hang on. I can usually move back up in the pack on downhills, and for me, its all about positioning for the sprint.
    At 145 pounds I'm usually up front helping to drive the pace in order to shell guys like you.

  12. #37
    Senior Member chiefDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Texas
    My Bikes
    11 cervelo R3, 12 s-works venge, 13 Santa Cruz tall boy
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it a few weeks ago before the 4/5 filled up. Very excited about CotA and that place has some other really cool events coming up like Dave Chapel (bet we'll have Sam Jackson beer) and Iron Maiden w/ Megadeath! Have not seen them since high school and my wife wants to go, super cool!

    Back to OP yea that hill is gona hurt and I have been doing lots of 30s power work and riding over the top of those efforts. The driveway has been great this month and I have been very aggressive and doing lots of work at the front and attacking. Not racing smart but hard. See you out at CotA!

  13. #38
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    This does not happen (anywhere, really). Minimum speed for a big, dumb sportscar at COTA is 45 mph.
    Well, here's a Z06 at 29mph (2:06), but that is twice as fast as my 15mph guess. Looks slower on camera. Seems that all turns will be flying on bikes.

  14. #39
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Well, here's a Z06 at 29mph (2:06), but that is twice as fast as my 15mph guess. Looks slower on camera. Seems that all turns will be flying on bikes.
    Wow, amazed at how poorly driven some of those cars were, including the Vette. Anyway, The 'hairpin' was about 35 mph. He did go slower than that at the time stamp you mentioned, but that was due to passing traffic rather than the corner itself. Like you say, you'll be flying on the bike. You might have a couple places where pedal strikes are an issue, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •