Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-14, 11:07 AM   #576
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
That reminds me. I need to sign my son up for the juniors race. He can only race once, but I have the choice of 5. I guess I could do the back to back to back to back to back. How many TSS would that be?
Back to back x5 would be a pretty epic showing. Being a 45+ 3 must be like going to a buffet for race selection
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 11:09 AM   #577
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Signing up for 45,35, and 1/2 @Folsom. Figure by time the 1/2 rolls around I'll be motor pacing.
I'll be there to heckle. If I turn in my upgrade form I could even join you in the P123. Looks like we may actually have a team showing in the 4s, so I may hold off to join in the effort.

Disregard P123 comment...they have a 2/3. The P123 I was thinking of is at the Memorial Day Crit in Morgan Hill...I'll just heckle.

Last edited by hack; 05-19-14 at 11:19 AM.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 11:09 AM   #578
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Back to back x5 would be a pretty epic showing. Being a 45+ 3 must be like going to a buffet for race selection
Yeah. I can get beat by a teenager in the morning and then by his dad in the afternoon.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 11:10 AM   #579
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Yeah. I can get beat by a teenager in the morning and then by his dad in the afternoon.
Glass half full ... you could beat a teenager in the morning and then his dad in the afternoon.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 11:16 AM   #580
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Signing up for 45,35, and 1/2 @Folsom. Figure by time the 1/2 rolls around I'll be motor pacing.
Cool, see ya in the 1/2's!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 01:42 PM   #581
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Cool, see ya in the 1/2's!
It'll look like this:



Make sure folks say hello. I'll be in the blue SOS kit vomiting near my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index copy.jpg (34.4 KB, 22 views)
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 02:24 PM   #582
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Glass half full ... you could beat a teenager in the morning and then his dad in the afternoon.
That's what she said.
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 03:27 PM   #583
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
Glass half full ... you could beat a teenager in the morning and then his dad in the afternoon.
That's what our Juniors team training rides are for.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 12:20 PM   #584
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Everyone in the south bay should come out to one of these SJBC training crits!

San Jose Bicycle Club : : 2014 Twilight Crits

Every Tuesday, $15. Races go from 6:30 to sunset - so they get longer as we get into summer, up to 1hr 45, ending at about 1 hour. Good training.

Very low key, pretty small fields (at least in the A's), maybe 25-30 at most. Need moar!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 01:45 PM   #585
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,975
$15/night and I can't ride my trike or effin' tall bike?

But really...for the fee, do they close the road? Prizes?

We've got a semi-formal Wednesday night up here, not entry fee, sprint points for prizes and such. Points are all marked and finishing order is on the honor system or determined by the lead group.

Wednesday Night Race Rides - Folsom Bike & Town Center Bike and Tri
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 01:51 PM   #586
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Bikes: Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
Posts: 2,351
Would love to do morning ride + noon ride + twilight crit every Tuesday until I get a job; that would be epic! Unfortunately south SJ is a bit far to ride to from Mountain View and my wife usually takes the car on Tuesday nights.
aaronmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 02:02 PM   #587
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
$15/night and I can't ride my trike or effin' tall bike?

But really...for the fee, do they close the road? Prizes?

We've got a semi-formal Wednesday night up here, not entry fee, sprint points for prizes and such. Points are all marked and finishing order is on the honor system or determined by the lead group.

Wednesday Night Race Rides - Folsom Bike & Town Center Bike and Tri
I don't organize it, not a member of their club, but will take what I can get. This for sure beats the south bay group rides in terms of training I think.

Prizes are minimal, primes sometimes and a prize for 1st. I won some Hammer chamois cream, and some water bottles so far. But if you're going there for prizes you should probably go somewhere else.

The road is not closed, but there is minimal traffic there. Only tricky part about the traffic is turn 2 at the bottom of a downhill - it has a stoplight, so they put a person down there to hit the walk signal for us or let us know if cars or coming. Sometimes we have to neutralize if there are cars coming.

So it's not perfect, but it gets the job done - training!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 02:06 PM   #588
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
I don't organize it, not a member of their club, but will take what I can get. This for sure beats the south bay group rides in terms of training I think.

Prizes are minimal, primes sometimes and a prize for 1st. I won some Hammer chamois cream, and some water bottles so far. But if you're going there for prizes you should probably go somewhere else.

The road is not closed, but there is minimal traffic there. Only tricky part about the traffic is turn 2 at the bottom of a downhill - it has a stoplight, so they put a person down there to hit the walk signal for us or let us know if cars or coming. Sometimes we have to neutralize if there are cars coming.

So it's not perfect, but it gets the job done - training!
nothing wrong with that
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 02:06 PM   #589
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
Would love to do morning ride + noon ride + twilight crit every Tuesday until I get a job; that would be epic! Unfortunately south SJ is a bit far to ride to from Mountain View and my wife usually takes the car on Tuesday nights.
Aaron from my old team (Pinnacle) does the Noon Alviso crit plus this SJBC crit on Tuesdays, and seems to do well in both.

In fact he won it last night, the bastid!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 08:58 PM   #590
Slicks
Member
 
Slicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
So it's not perfect, but it gets the job done - training!
Newbie here, and I feel like I could *just* keep up...what's the B/C group like?
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 09:31 PM   #591
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
Newbie here, and I feel like I could *just* keep up...what's the B/C group like?
Dunno.

B's is the biggest group, C's are split separately. I'd start in the C's and see how it goes. Or start with the B's, and if you get dropped you can ride with the C's. If you still get dropped you can sit out a lap and get back in, just don't contest the sprints.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 12:19 PM   #592
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,240
BAM!

2014 NCNCA Points Series - Team Category Points

Our team is 3rd in p12 (behind ****ing Mikes and Squadra, surprise surprise), 1st in 3s, 1st in 4s, and 11th in 35+ (I will fix this next year)
__________________

twitter.com/ygduf
strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 12:40 PM   #593
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Interesting you have a Squadra out there. We have a Super Squadra
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 12:55 PM   #594
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
Our team is 3rd in p12 (behind ****ing Mikes and Squadra, surprise surprise)
You can't even beat yourselves?
globecanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 12:56 PM   #595
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
BAM!

2014 NCNCA Points Series - Team Category Points

Our team is 3rd in p12 (behind ****ing Mikes and Squadra, surprise surprise), 1st in 3s, 1st in 4s, and 11th in 35+ (I will fix this next year)
Hey at least Marc Pro is beating the Goliath of Mike's Bikes in the 1/2's.. then again Marc Pro has swelled to Goliath proportions this year as it is.

Also, I hope you mean you will help fix us being behind in the 1/2's next year, not the 35+!!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 12:59 PM   #596
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
You can't even beat yourselves?
Ha ha this is just how competitive it is out here!!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 01:28 PM   #597
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,975
re: 4->3

Quote:
Request was approved on 2014-05-22 12:14

USAC Upgrade Letter

Congratulations!

We no longer are sending out the small upgrade stickers. Please simply print this email out and carry it with you as proof of your upgrade.

Good Luck Racing,
Problem...I realize I signed up for a Cat 4 race this Saturday since the team wanted a "team showing". Can I either a) still race (I'd just try to leverage someone into a good spot) or b) transfer my $$ to a different cat?

Last edited by hack; 05-22-14 at 01:32 PM.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 01:43 PM   #598
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
b)

You definitely can't race in the 4's unless you downgrade or it's a 3/4's race, and you can just transfer your registration to the cat 3 race. Write the promoter and let them know you upgraded, they have probably dealt with this before.

Congrats on the upgrade!!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 01:48 PM   #599
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
b)

You definitely can't race in the 4's unless you downgrade or it's a 3/4's race, and you can just transfer your registration to the cat 3 race. Write the promoter and let them know you upgraded, they have probably dealt with this before.

Congrats on the upgrade!!
Thanks much. I figured it'd be an easy swap to a diff. cat.

Now, I think I may need to actually start training.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 02:08 PM   #600
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Whatever you're doing seems to be working!

One of the hardest parts about upgrading losing the confidence you built up in your last category. It can count for almost as much as fitness, assuming you're meeting the minimum requirements there.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.