Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-13, 08:10 AM   #1
FasterNearGirls
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah Yeah Yeah Cat 2!

Wooohoooooooooooooo!
That's it. Pretty much just wanted to share and brag! Pumped!

Last year I was a 5, and when I was up for my 3 upgrade after a month in 4, it was scary and a big leap. I posted here and you guys told me to go for it, and not wait!
I'm glad I did! I raced well all season, got consistent good results, won the state crit, learned a lot of tactics racing with my awesome teammates, traveled, and now am a 2!

Oh, I also had 6 crashes. But almost all not racing (went down twice on a crit but those weren't so bad). The other crashes were just riding. A couple solo, and a couple real bad ones on group rides. One broke my Hi Mod Evo (dude ate it in front of me). And the other was this Tuesday, sprinting all out at the end of a fast paceline ride with a stretched chain something snapped and I had an "I believe I can fly" moment. Just need to work on the landing. I was doing about 37, did a couple front flips and dislocated my shoulder. But I'm totally fine and already rode yesterday.

So yeah all good news!

Thanks for reading.
FasterNearGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 08:27 AM   #2
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos
 
Creatre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 3,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grats!

You should stop crashing though, because crashing sucks.
Creatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 08:32 AM   #3
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,736
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
awesome, enjoy!

when's the next race?
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 08:42 AM   #4
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Congrats! I hope I can do as well as you Just... need....to stop.... smoking : cough cough:

Keep going, you'll be pro in no time.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 08:50 AM   #5
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,391
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
what was your volume and training like?

and 6 crashes. jesus.
__________________

strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 09:13 AM   #6
FasterNearGirls
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!!!
I know, crashing sucks. What a year.

Next race would have been tomorrow but it got postponed for the 31st! There's actually not a whole lot going on in my area for the rest of this season. I think that with Cross getting stronger and stronger, the Road season is fading faster.

Ha, you're joking about the smoking but I smoked a pack of day of Marlboro reds until March 31st 2010. Then I switched drugs (cycling).

My training was: all winter doing trainer and rollers intervals. Some high intensity blocks. Low volume. Then racing into shape in spring and maintaining all season with high intensity / low volume rides. 8hr/week or so only in average I'd say. Occasional longer ones with some longer rides, 70, 100, 130 miles, but mostly 40 to 50 mile high intensity rides and a lot of races. Gym work, stretching the legs and foam rollers, core / upper body 3x/week. So only riding 4 or 5 days instead of 5 or 6. More recovery off the bike for the higher intensity despite the lower volume. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by FasterNearGirls; 08-16-13 at 09:17 AM. Reason: stretch and foam rollers
FasterNearGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 09:46 AM   #7
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,526
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Like pilots, there are old racers and bold racers. There are few old bold racers. 6 times in a year is way too many not to work on some things.

Congrats on the upgrade.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 09:54 AM   #8
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
congrats. there are a few races left in striking distance from philly. were you at millersburg last weekend? what team?

fwiw, i think the jump from 3->2 is way more substantial than those from 5->4->3. sounds like you have a good engine but need to work on some skills that involve not crashing
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:09 AM   #9
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats!! Were their more girls as you upgraded,seems like that helps you too? 40,50 miles are low volume huh..than again 130miles is pretty long
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:33 AM   #10
FasterNearGirls
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys! haha yeah girls make you faster!
Yes I'm bold and can handle my bike very well, especially navigating within a tight pack.
Believe it or not, the 6 crashes were not due to recklessness or need to work on anything as you're implying.
Crash 1 - on the 130 mile solo ride to the beach (windy day, lot of cross and tailwind, I avged 20.2 for the ride, so yeah it was windy.), 40mph gust pushed me over while feeding and I swerved and ate it.
Crash 2, fast Saturday race-paced ride riding in a group off the front, I was 3rd wheel, we were doing 29 when the guy in front of me hit a massive sinkhole (one of those asphalt colored ones, not his fault), he got a rear flat instantly and went down immediately in front of me. I hit his bike and went tumbling. Lot of road rash and the broken seatstay on the EVO. I had to catch a flight to Europe 2 hrs later.
Crash 3, exploring in Tuscany I hit a 15km gravel section that stopped being fun as my bottle kept flying, when stopping to retrieve the bottle one time I sank on deeper gravel and just tumbled over, no big deal, this doesn't really count.
Crashes 4 and 5, Kennet square criterium, lap 1, 7th corner, wheel in front overcooks it, hits the outside curb, bike ricochets under mine (I could have avoided being behind that rider you could say, but I know him and he normally doesn't do that). I got back on, free lap, 5 laps later, raining, riders started sliding out on corner 8 in front of me, so I slid too out of sympathy.
Crash 6, this Tuesday, end of ~30mph paceline ride coming in for the sprint I downshifted twice and torqued my bike hard when something snapped, felt like chain, I instantly went flying. My rear tube had a 6"gash on it but it could have been from the tumble. Still not clear if it was the tire or the chain, but either way, equipment failure.

So I'm not doing sketchy things. Bad year in terms of 6 crashes but still lucky for not breaking bones.

Yes, I was at Millersburg. TSV ( Tri State Velo / Amoroso's racing team). Got 3rd on the RR.

Thanks again.
FasterNearGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:48 AM   #11
MDcatV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 6,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^nice. i liked the climb they added to the RR this year, unfortunately, i got caught up behind a crash on it and couldnt find my way back to the field.
MDcatV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 11:39 AM   #12
FasterNearGirls
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcatV View Post
^nice. i liked the climb they added to the RR this year, unfortunately, i got caught up behind a crash on it and couldnt find my way back to the field.
Yeah the 2 punch climb was really nice. My teammate got the KOM on the 3 race. You must have been on the 123, I heard about that crash and the same exact thing that happened to you happened to other teammates of mine.
FasterNearGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-13, 08:23 PM   #13
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterNearGirls View Post
Thanks guys! haha yeah girls make you faster!
Yes I'm bold and can handle my bike very well, especially navigating within a tight pack.
Believe it or not, the 6 crashes were not due to recklessness or need to work on anything as you're implying.
Crash 1 - on the 130 mile solo ride to the beach (windy day, lot of cross and tailwind, I avged 20.2 for the ride, so yeah it was windy.), 40mph gust pushed me over while feeding and I swerved and ate it.
Crash 2, fast Saturday race-paced ride riding in a group off the front, I was 3rd wheel, we were doing 29 when the guy in front of me hit a massive sinkhole (one of those asphalt colored ones, not his fault), he got a rear flat instantly and went down immediately in front of me. I hit his bike and went tumbling. Lot of road rash and the broken seatstay on the EVO. I had to catch a flight to Europe 2 hrs later.
Crash 3, exploring in Tuscany I hit a 15km gravel section that stopped being fun as my bottle kept flying, when stopping to retrieve the bottle one time I sank on deeper gravel and just tumbled over, no big deal, this doesn't really count.
Crashes 4 and 5, Kennet square criterium, lap 1, 7th corner, wheel in front overcooks it, hits the outside curb, bike ricochets under mine (I could have avoided being behind that rider you could say, but I know him and he normally doesn't do that). I got back on, free lap, 5 laps later, raining, riders started sliding out on corner 8 in front of me, so I slid too out of sympathy.
Crash 6, this Tuesday, end of ~30mph paceline ride coming in for the sprint I downshifted twice and torqued my bike hard when something snapped, felt like chain, I instantly went flying. My rear tube had a 6"gash on it but it could have been from the tumble. Still not clear if it was the tire or the chain, but either way, equipment failure.

So I'm not doing sketchy things. Bad year in terms of 6 crashes but still lucky for not breaking bones.

Yes, I was at Millersburg. TSV ( Tri State Velo / Amoroso's racing team). Got 3rd on the RR.

Thanks again.
dang, cat 5 to a 2 in a single season? great work.

now.. you averaged 20.2 for 130 miles, including stops? How big of a tailwind did you get?
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-13, 11:40 PM   #14
aaronmcd
Senior Member
 
aaronmcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Bikes: Cervelo S5
Posts: 2,460
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Damn, if I rode 130 miles to the beach here, I would prob have 10,000 ft elevation gain lol. Prob couldn't do it at more than 16 mph avg.
aaronmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 11:46 AM   #15
FasterNearGirls
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
dang, cat 5 to a 2 in a single season? great work.

now.. you averaged 20.2 for 130 miles, including stops? How big of a tailwind did you get?
5 to 3 last season, then raced in 3s this season and just got my 2. So 2 seasons.

Yeah, 20.2 avg, solo, flat, tailwind : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317937084
Stopped to refill bottles (about 8) only, as I had plenty of food. Elapsed time is longer because I didn't stop and reset activity when I got there.
The wind was crazy, I think the forecast was for 27mph winds, but some gusts were definitely stronger. Although at times it was crosswind that felt like headwind, but mostly tailwind.
FasterNearGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 12:11 PM   #16
spectastic
Supreme Adrninistrator
 
spectastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: inside my body
Bikes: a few
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I hope you drove back

but yea.. I started like 3 weeks ago. Finished 3 races so far. I'm hoping to win at least one cat 5 race before moving up to 4. The goal is to get to 3. I'm not even thinking about 2's at this point. But I figure if I keep riding over the years, it might happen eventually. Right now, I'm just focused on learning the tactics, and not crashing. The guys I ride with show a lot of support, which I appreciate. It just sucks that the closest race here is 80 miles away in Houston. And most of them are at least 300 miles away, in Dallas, LA or wherever.


your garmin says the weather was 48 degrees, with 11 mph wind from the north... and max heart rate 165?? man I usually find my heart rate at 174 or so when I'm putting in moderate effort on my short rides. I guess people are different

Last edited by spectastic; 08-23-13 at 12:37 PM.
spectastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 12:34 PM   #17
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats! Enjoy it. It's a nice sticker to have on the license.
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 03:14 PM   #18
JohnKScott
Senior Member
 
JohnKScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Franklin, TN
Bikes: None yo damn binness
Posts: 3,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! That's quite impressive. At least it is to me!
JohnKScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 08:02 PM   #19
FasterNearGirls
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
I hope you drove back

but yea.. I started like 3 weeks ago. Finished 3 races so far. I'm hoping to win at least one cat 5 race before moving up to 4. The goal is to get to 3. I'm not even thinking about 2's at this point. But I figure if I keep riding over the years, it might happen eventually. Right now, I'm just focused on learning the tactics, and not crashing. The guys I ride with show a lot of support, which I appreciate. It just sucks that the closest race here is 80 miles away in Houston. And most of them are at least 300 miles away, in Dallas, LA or wherever.


your garmin says the weather was 48 degrees, with 11 mph wind from the north... and max heart rate 165?? man I usually find my heart rate at 174 or so when I'm putting in moderate effort on my short rides. I guess people are different
Thanks. Yes, I spent the weekend and was driven back. Indeed, the forecast was actually for even colder, I wore knickers and a thermal long sleeve jersey on top of a normal jersey, and the wind was much stronger. Forecast was for 27mph NWW wind + gusts.

As for the HR max at 165, keep in mind that was a long endurance ride. You stay on lower sub threshold zones for those. When doing shorter rides, interval workouts, or races, then of course my max HR is higher as well. 196+ sprinting all out during peak season in the heat after racing for hours is normal. Or 174 to use your example on a moderate short ride as well. One deeper dig will change that max to 185, doesn't mean anything. The point is, for that whole long ride I never went really hard.

Good luck with racing, sounds like you're having fun! Focusing on not crashing is good, but so is accepting it as part of the sport. It happens.
FasterNearGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 08:05 PM   #20
FasterNearGirls
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys!
Yeah, love that sticker! He sent it to me with the jersey.
FasterNearGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 AM.