Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,411
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    Mathematically speaking, I'm probably closer to my last race than my first race.
    Interesting. I never thought of it that way. I'd have to be 75 before I doubled my racing life.

  2. #27
    meow bostongarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hint: check out my BF name
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5
    Posts
    5,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love finding a thread like this when I decide to come by for a BF check in. I hope my speedsuit stays together this weekend.

  3. #28
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racetime is approaching and I am already super nervous. I have no idea on what to expect... There is a training crit tomorrow near my house and I am probably going to give a try and see what is up. I feel like when you are about to give a speech in public? Kinda like my heart is not there. HTFU!!!!
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  4. #29
    coffee-stained punk hammy56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    picard

  5. #30
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, race over. I got destroyed... I think i could have done better but fair enough i tried and failed misserably. I had some problems calibrating the new power meter right before going to the grid and thay ended up with me starting dead last. I picked up about 10 spots but the pelloton was already gone and i was left in the wind leading the "cat 6" racers with another guy. It did t take long before we got pulled from the race. At least i know i need to train much harder and i will! I am no wuss and i know next year ill come back strong!

    Out...
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  6. #31
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job getting out there!









    (Next time, don't worry about your PM)
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  7. #32
    pan y agua merlinextraligh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville
    My Bikes
    Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er
    Posts
    27,306
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a brutal course for a first crit. Very tight, no straight to recover on. fairly big elevation change on the only straight portion of the course.
    You could fall off a cliff and die.
    You could get lost and die.
    You could hit a tree and die.
    OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

  8. #33
    Senior Member zvez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on completing this Luis!

    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    Well, race over. I got destroyed... I think i could have done better but fair enough i tried and failed misserably. I had some problems calibrating the new power meter right before going to the grid and thay ended up with me starting dead last. I picked up about 10 spots but the pelloton was already gone and i was left in the wind leading the "cat 6" racers with another guy. It did t take long before we got pulled from the race. At least i know i need to train much harder and i will! I am no wuss and i know next year ill come back strong!

    Out...

  9. #34
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    Good job getting out there!









    (Next time, don't worry about your PM)
    Thanks! Yes next time I'll just focus on the race.

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
    That was a brutal course for a first crit. Very tight, no straight to recover on. fairly big elevation change on the only straight portion of the course.
    Even thought it was a very hard course I found it very fun! Hopefully next year I'll be in much better shape and I can go for an easier (flatter course)

    Quote Originally Posted by zvez View Post
    congrats on completing this Luis!
    Thanks Chris but I really didnt complete it more like tried... It was very very fun and nerve racking. It kinda reminded me of being in the track on the ducati but even more intense!

    Here is the Strave debrief of a short lived race...

    http://www.strava.com/activities/85836349

    I am the one in white red and black.

    Last edited by lsberrios1; 09-29-13 at 04:04 PM.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  10. #35
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to think about for training rides: work on getting comfortable in the drops. In a crit I am in the drops pretty much 100% of the time.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  11. #36
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    Something to think about for training rides: work on getting comfortable in the drops. In a crit I am in the drops pretty much 100% of the time.
    That is true. I started looking at the Cat1/2/pro and they were 100% of the time down in the drops. I was only in the drops on the downhill section when it was time to turn I would get up on the hoods. Not very comfortable going on the drops yet, not necessarily the possition but shifting is ill when I am down there for some reason. it shifts much better when doing it from the hoods. I am having trouble with my shifting since putting the new crank (PM).

    Also, I saw one of the guys from the 5 hour energy team lap the all the cat 1/2 by himself on the 1 hour crit. He laped them and finished in first on the pack after laping them.. I was like WTF! Incredible. I am assuming he was the only real (domestic) pro in that race.

    Thanks for your advice.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  12. #37
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    Also, I saw one of the guys from the 5 hour energy team lap the all the cat 1/2 by himself on the 1 hour crit. He laped them and finished in first on the pack after laping them.. I was like WTF! Incredible. I am assuming he was the only real (domestic) pro in that race.
    That's my coach.
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  13. #38
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    That's my coach.
    That's awesome! The guy is a beast. At one point I was about 2 feet away from him during the trophy ceremony and wanted to talk to him but decided to leave him alone. Seemed like a really cool guy. I've seen that team before coming up hog pen in the middle of january with the snow on the mountain top, I was on my motorcycle. Impressive stuff.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  14. #39
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,080
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats for toeing the line and racing

  15. #40
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post
    Congrats for toeing the line and racing
    Thanks! I guess now this thread can stay here instead of being moved to the 41
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

  16. #41
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    That's my coach.
    Who's your coach Sweeting?
    Taking a guess on this one...
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  17. #42
    These Guys Eat Oreos Creatre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwaki View Post
    Who's your coach Sweeting?
    Taking a guess on this one...
    Yup
    Category 2 | | Velogames BikeForums Leagues: 1st - 2012 Veulta, 1st - 2011 Vuelta, 2nd - 2013 Vuelta, 3rd - 2012 Giro, 4th - 2012 TdF

  18. #43
    soon to be gsteinc... rkwaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    getting photographed by rockets...
    Posts
    8,134
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Yup
    Nice. I think I only spoke to him briefly once, seems like a nice guy. He's a beast as well.
    "if you ride it the way it's meant to be ridden there's no way any wife is less of a ***** than a bicycle." - gstein

  19. #44
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,539
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you for getting out there and giving it a go.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  20. #45
    Senior Member spectastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    texas
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    1,832
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsberrios1 View Post
    That is true. I started looking at the Cat1/2/pro and they were 100% of the time down in the drops. I was only in the drops on the downhill section when it was time to turn I would get up on the hoods. Not very comfortable going on the drops yet, not necessarily the possition but shifting is ill when I am down there for some reason. it shifts much better when doing it from the hoods. I am having trouble with my shifting since putting the new crank (PM).

    Also, I saw one of the guys from the 5 hour energy team lap the all the cat 1/2 by himself on the 1 hour crit. He laped them and finished in first on the pack after laping them.. I was like WTF! Incredible. I am assuming he was the only real (domestic) pro in that race.

    Thanks for your advice.
    if you're having trouble shifting in the drops, maybe it's a good idea to consider compact handlebars, if you haven't already. I used to have a crappy ergo handlebar that came with the bike. I couldn't shift/brake in the drops unless I moved my hand to reach for it. After switching to a compact handlebar, my fingers can wrap around the levers easily.

  21. #46
    Senior Member lsberrios1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    My Bikes
    '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
    Posts
    2,000
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    if you're having trouble shifting in the drops, maybe it's a good idea to consider compact handlebars, if you haven't already. I used to have a crappy ergo handlebar that came with the bike. I couldn't shift/brake in the drops unless I moved my hand to reach for it. After switching to a compact handlebar, my fingers can wrap around the levers easily.

    It's not quite the handlebars but rather the leverage that goes into the shift levers. From the top they shift well and from the bottom I hear them click but the chain just start "skipping" on the cassette but not changing. That was later adjusted when I went back to my LBS and now they shift from a slight touch. For the race they were badly adjusted. I guess the shift levers have a bit of flex to them.
    Cat 6 going on PRO....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •