Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   To get a Coach or not (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/918645-get-coach-not.html)

rkwaki 10-28-13 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Mike (Post 16196262)
Thanks to my environment (Alaska), my available time (3 kids and one on the way), and my resistance thus far to delve into fatbiking, I spend 6 months out of the year exclusively on the trainer. I literally couldn't do it without my coach. Without her planning my workouts and keeping me on track, I would roll into next season fat and out of shape, getting crushed by those that did train, spent their winter on the bike, or cross-country skied (I alpine race). Since I recognize that everything in my life works better when I'm in some sort of shape, I consider a coach an investment in more than just how fast I can ride around in a circle or climb a hill. YMMV.

I usually take a couple months off every year to just ride and do the odd 'cross race- basically to prevent burnout. A couple weeks before I start up with the coach again, I try to get used to a more regimented program on my own. It's plainly obvious that I am not nearly as skilled at planning a workout progression as she is. Where her patterns on the Performance Management chart have the ATL/TSB tightly managed and the CTL on a steady upward pattern throughout the trainer season, my efforts are all over the place. I just don't have the patience to learn how to manage them that well.

I also find that having a coach motivates me because I just don't want to let them down. Week in and week out she's there monitoring everything, so if I slack off she'll notice it. She writes the program, and I do my best to live up to it. That's the bargain. The payoff comes when I hit the road for the first time in the spring and notice just how much stronger I am. That strength allows me to think more in a race instead of just mindlessly hanging on, which greatly increases my chances of doing anything special.

That's just me, though.

Great post rookie...

TexMac 03-03-14 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grolby (Post 16188707)
Reminder that if there's someone who's bringing you down, there's always the Ignore list.



Sounds about right. I've definitely entered races as a "tourist," so to speak, and I've even done it recently. I went to Tour of the Hilltowns this summer knowing I didn't have a chance even of making the chase group (hell, I got dropped from the dropped group) because I'd wanted to do the race for years. Chances are that I won't be back next year. If I do, it would be to help a teammate, but I would have to be climbing way faster than I did this year. If I'm going to get dropped on the long climb that starts a dozen miles into the race, I'm not going to be much use.

It's not that I need to be a contender, in contrast there was the TN state championship RR this summer out in Cookeville. There, too, I had no chance of winning the race and knew that going in. But the nature of the course was such that I could help my stronger teammate by chasing attacks and helping keep long breaks sufficiently in check that he would be set up with a good chance when we hit the decisive fourth climb. So, the motivation to do a race doesn't have to be contending. But if you've already done a race (assuming it interests you at all), there generally needs to be motivation from contending, helping a teammate who can contend or at least getting a good workout to justify the registration fee and gas. At least in my book. Though it depends on the race, of course. Suffering at the back of a crit can still be fun. Suffering way OTB in a long hilly road race is the pits.

"I got dropped from the dropped group"... LMAO

changes2008 03-04-14 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwaki (Post 16197767)
Great post rookie...

Seems condescending, brah.

waterrockets 03-05-14 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by changes2008 (Post 16549352)
Seems condescending, brah.

That's a 33 rookie way to look at it. focus on the first two words :thumb: Think of the condescension here as you would heckling in cross race.

gsteinb 03-05-14 08:21 AM

[condescension]

what's cross?

[/condescension]

waterrockets 03-05-14 08:36 AM

And we have gsteinb stepping up for a quick and simple example. Thank you. Ok class, quiet now, and sit still.

rapwithtom 03-05-14 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 16549928)
Think of the condescension here as you would heckling in cross race.

Lol. Good perspective. But at least in CX the heckling is generally good natured, done by friends and family, and laughed about post-race over a beer...here, not so much; it just tends toward dismissiveness.

gsteinb 03-05-14 09:42 AM

with posts like this

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post16550192

you would question being dismissed?

Ygduf 03-05-14 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 16550251)
with posts like this

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post16550192

you would question being dismissed?


Just two posts ago you were all "What's cross" but now you link to it!

rapwithtom 03-05-14 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 16549986)
And we have gsteinb stepping up for a quick and simple example. Thank you. Ok class, quiet now, and sit still.

As always, the voice of reason.

gsteinb 03-05-14 11:01 AM

hang on, let me get your blankie.

changes2008 03-05-14 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 16549928)
That's a 33 rookie way to look at it. focus on the first two words :thumb: Think of the condescension here as you would heckling in cross race.

I was teasing old rk.

...And who doesn't heckle at a CX race? That's probably one of the most enjoyable things one could do. :rolleyes::)

*EDIT* Actually quite surprised he (rkwaki) was so busy today that he could not chime in at all. *gasp*

rkwaki 03-06-14 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by changes2008 (Post 16552259)
I was teasing old rk.

...And who doesn't heckle at a CX race? That's probably one of the most enjoyable things one could do. :rolleyes::)

*EDIT* Actually quite surprised he (rkwaki) was so busy today that he could not chime in at all. *gasp*

For those of you who may not know, changes2008 is my local TN girlfriend...
He's just angry because he wanted to be pitcher rather than catcher this week...

changes2008 03-06-14 09:30 AM

There it is...

bostongarden 03-06-14 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwaki (Post 16553607)
For those of you who may not know, changes2008 is my local TN girlfriend...
He's just angry because he wanted to be pitcher rather than catcher this week...

I typed "baseball" into Google and clicked on "I'm Feeling Lucky" for the search and ended up here.

echappist 03-06-14 11:02 PM

welcome back?

Alaska Mike 03-10-14 08:44 AM

For the record, I spent much of the time between rkwaki's reply to my post hand-wringing about the real meaning of his words, and what would be an appropriate response. I spent many hours adding, then removing his name from the "people who I am going to use to make my skin suit" list. All very taxing on my fragile mental state, especially during stationary trainer season. Then I remembered it's the internet, and for all I know he's an extremely hot 18 year old girl with a thing for middle-aged guys that like to wear lycra.

furiousferret 03-10-14 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Mike (Post 16564686)
For the record, I spent much of the time between rkwaki's reply to my post hand-wringing about the real meaning of his words, and what would be an appropriate response. I spent many hours adding, then removing his name from the "people who I am going to use to make my skin suit" list. All very taxing on my fragile mental state, especially during stationary trainer season. Then I remembered it's the internet, and for all I know he's an extremely hot 18 year old girl with a thing for middle-aged guys that like to wear lycra.

If rk is 18 then a bunch of us are in the clear...phew.

rkwaki 03-10-14 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Mike (Post 16564686)
For the record, I spent much of the time between rkwaki's reply to my post hand-wringing about the real meaning of his words, and what would be an appropriate response. I spent many hours adding, then removing his name from the "people who I am going to use to make my skin suit" list. All very taxing on my fragile mental state, especially during stationary trainer season. Then I remembered it's the internet, and for all I know he's an extremely hot 18 year old girl with a thing for middle-aged guys that like to wear lycra.

Which post? They are all very thought provoking...
BTW not only am I hot but dirty as well...
See attached...


























































http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368131

Alaska Mike 03-10-14 06:40 PM

I do likes me some bacon...

ovoleg 03-10-14 09:39 PM

dont post pics of food, rkwaki is already a fatty...its not good for him.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 AM.