Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   Wheel advice (not which wheel should I buy) (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/923011-wheel-advice-not-wheel-should-i-buy.html)

Racer Ex 11-24-13 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grolby (Post 16274286)
Baloney. I can count the wheels I've seen destroyed in 4/5 crits on the fingers of one hand. I don't have fingers on the other hand because of an accident in a 4/5 crit but...

:innocent:

shovelhd 11-24-13 02:37 PM

It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.

revchuck 11-24-13 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rankin116 (Post 16273796)
I just picked up a Pro+ for $400 on Ebay. Wired are cheaper, obviously. Deals are out there.

If you can find one of these at that price, get it. I have a Pro+ I bought NOS a year and a half ago and put about 7k miles on it so far. Maintenance to date: two sets of batteries. The only downside is that it's heavy, 546g IIRC.

Racer Ex 11-24-13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 16274355)
It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.

Sure you did.

shovelhd 11-24-13 04:51 PM

Just you wait, Mister.

grolby 11-24-13 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 16274355)
It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.

Agreed on this reasoning. Like I said I've made it through a few seasons without pit wheels, but I'm not really a role model. :innocent:

shovelhd 11-24-13 07:03 PM

That's just good luck, or you choose your races to avoid the need.

This year at New Britain, I was on my way back to the truck after dropping off my pit wheels with 10 minutes to go before the start, and my rear wheel went flat. I had to go back to the pit and swap the wheels out before my race day even started.

waterrockets 11-25-13 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grolby (Post 16274789)
Agreed on this reasoning. Like I said I've made it through a few seasons without pit wheels, but I'm not really a role model. :innocent:

I've had wheels in the pits for like 2 races. I've flatted out of one crit.

Fat Boy 11-25-13 09:52 AM

Just because you don't have wheels in the wheel pit doesn't mean you can't find some in there, ya know. Ask forgiveness, not permission, and be willing to give your new friend a couple bucks for the help.

bigfred 11-25-13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 16276398)
Just because you don't have wheels in the wheel pit doesn't mean you can't find some in there, ya know. Ask forgiveness, not permission, and be willing to give your new friend a couple bucks for the help.

Seriously uncool! And poor advice. It's one thing if you mistake someone else's identical wheels for yours. But, to knowingly go into the pits and take a wheel you know does not belong to you, which you did not place there and for which you haven't been previously granted permission is theft.

It might be a bit different if it were a team mate's.

This is the sort of **** that will earn you a bad reputation in a hurry.

bigfred 11-25-13 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 16273791)


Oh wow. Those wheelbuilder deals are good. I wasn't looking for a complete wheel, just a hub. But, at a grand it would almost be like they were giving me the carbon clincher. Then I got offered a deal on a local auction for a G3/DT Swiss 465 combo.

Mrs. Fred and I have been together for 8 years. This is the first time she's ever said "No." to something I wanted to spend on. Well, technically she didn't say, "No". It was more like, "For F$#^'s sake! Really? REallY? You want to spend how much? To learn how many watts you're producing while you ride your bicycle?" I interpreted that as a "no".

Oh well, I do have a fitting scheduled for next week and am planning to spend a bit as a consequence of that. Stem, insoles, maybe custom shoes.

robabeatle 11-25-13 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfred (Post 16276450)
Oh wow. Those wheelbuilder deals are good. I wasn't looking for a complete wheel, just a hub. But, at a grand it would almost be like they were giving me the carbon clincher. Then I got offered a deal on a local auction for a G3/DT Swiss 465 combo.

Mrs. Fred and I have been together for 8 years. This is the first time she's ever said "No." to something I wanted to spend on. Well, technically she didn't say, "No". It was more like, "For F$#^'s sake! Really? REallY? You want to spend how much? To learn how many watts you're producing while you ride your bicycle?" I interpreted that as a "no".

Oh well, I do have a fitting scheduled for next week and am planning to spend a bit as a consequence of that. Stem, insoles, maybe custom shoes.

What was that about asking forgiveness is easier than asking for permission?

bigfred 11-25-13 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robabeatle (Post 16276475)
What was that about asking forgiveness is easier than asking for permission?

Perhaps. But, we have a pretty good realationship with regard to most things and have, so far, avoid the common pitfall of arguing over money. I'll still probably get one. Just not right now. She's still in shock over learning that one her coworkers is rebuilding their house in order to make room for the husband's bikes:-)

Hermes 11-25-13 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovelhd (Post 16274355)
It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.

My ratio of FTP to flats is the same as yours. The lower my FTP, the more flats I get.

revchuck 11-25-13 10:49 AM

My FTP just looks like I rode the test with a flat.

Fat Boy 11-25-13 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfred (Post 16276432)
Seriously uncool! And poor advice. It's one thing if you mistake someone else's identical wheels for yours. But, to knowingly go into the pits and take a wheel you know does not belong to you, which you did not place there and for which you haven't been previously granted permission is theft.

It might be a bit different if it were a team mate's.

This is the sort of **** that will earn you a bad reputation in a hurry.

My teammates and I often share a spare pair of wheels. Look, I'm not saying this is exactly kosher, and I wouldn't grab the most expensive wheels I could, but if I wanted to finish the race, I'd grab _something_. I'd also stop as soon as the race was over and put it back exactly where it was.

gtrob 11-25-13 10:56 AM

I rode my first season on a set of EA50s which can be had cheap. Lower end eastons but better than what came on my $1000 road bike.

In a first season unless your stocks are really bad (I was breaking spokes constantly) I wouldn't upgrade. Spend the $500 on more race fees and better tires.

revchuck 11-25-13 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 16276602)
My teammates and I often share a spare pair of wheels. Look, I'm not saying this is exactly kosher, and I wouldn't grab the most expensive wheels I could, but if I wanted to finish the race, I'd grab _something_. I'd also stop as soon as the race was over and put it back exactly where it was.

Sorry, this is bogus. If you wanted to make sure you finished the race, you would've brought your own damned pit wheels. It would truly suck if the guy whose wheels you "borrowed" had a flat the lap after you did.

Ygduf 11-25-13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 16276602)
My teammates and I often share a spare pair of wheels. Look, I'm not saying this is exactly kosher, and I wouldn't grab the most expensive wheels I could, but if I wanted to finish the race, I'd grab _something_. I'd also stop as soon as the race was over and put it back exactly where it was.

I don't do crits enough to have ever put wheels in the pit, but even I know this is incredibly lame.

Sorry, don't take other people's ****. What if the wheel you grab is a team-share and they have 3-4 guys counting on it being there if _they_ flat.

rankin116 11-25-13 11:15 AM

I haven't done a crit yet, what are the rules re: wheels in the pit? In the road races I've done it has been fair game, as long as there were enough wheels to warrant a driver, you could take any wheel in there.

thechemist 11-25-13 11:20 AM

I echo all of the above. If you didn't bring wheels don't steal another guys. Teammates, maybe, if agreed upon. I have never heard of a free for all in road races and that is certainly not the case in TN...for good reason.

revchuck 11-25-13 11:23 AM

The road race I've done (twice) that had a wheel truck specified that you'd get whatever wheel they handed you, though they'd try to get you yours. Two years ago they had a crew in the wheel truck that replaced the tubes in the tires that flatted as the race went on to ensure they didn't run out.

Fat Boy 11-25-13 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revchuck (Post 16276693)
The road race I've done (twice) that had a wheel truck specified that you'd get whatever wheel they handed you

This.

Look, maybe what I said is a D-bag move. Sorry to wind everyone up this early in the week. I've never done it, but I've seen it done (in CX) by a teammate. I stuck it in my memory bank 'just in case'.

UmneyDurak 11-25-13 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 16276879)
This.

Look, maybe what I said is a D-bag move. Sorry to wind everyone up this early in the week. I've never done it, but I've seen it done (in CX) by a teammate. I stuck it in my memory bank 'just in case'.

Not even close to "this". What revchuck referred sounds like a policy from race organizers. Every crit I have done officials specifically said "wheels in wheels out", unless there is a neutral support. Grabbing someone else wheels, is stealing. You will not make a new friend, and if you did this to me I will make damn sure every official and every team knows that you are a thief and what club you ride for.

gtrob 11-25-13 02:09 PM

road races are different, there is usually a 'neutral' support car that carries a dozen wheels that they ask teams to supply for. the idea being that 50km out there is only 1 car and he isn't exactly going to carry 70 sets of wheels. In those cases you may end up with someone else's wheel.

a crit is different, the pit is big enough for everyone's wheel then you bring your own or don't finish.


In any case, you should at least have a spare set of wheels in general in your life.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 AM.