Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 80
  1. #51
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,246
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Baloney. I can count the wheels I've seen destroyed in 4/5 crits on the fingers of one hand. I don't have fingers on the other hand because of an accident in a 4/5 crit but...

  2. #52
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,657
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
    I just picked up a Pro+ for $400 on Ebay. Wired are cheaper, obviously. Deals are out there.
    If you can find one of these at that price, get it. I have a Pro+ I bought NOS a year and a half ago and put about 7k miles on it so far. Maintenance to date: two sets of batteries. The only downside is that it's heavy, 546g IIRC.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  4. #54
    Resident Alien Racer Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Let me check.
    My Bikes
    Of course.
    Posts
    11,246
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.
    Sure you did.

  5. #55
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,657
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just you wait, Mister.

  6. #56
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,798
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.
    Agreed on this reasoning. Like I said I've made it through a few seasons without pit wheels, but I'm not really a role model.

  7. #57
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,657
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just good luck, or you choose your races to avoid the need.

    This year at New Britain, I was on my way back to the truck after dropping off my pit wheels with 10 minutes to go before the start, and my rear wheel went flat. I had to go back to the pit and swap the wheels out before my race day even started.
    Last edited by shovelhd; 11-24-13 at 06:06 PM.

  8. #58
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,040
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Agreed on this reasoning. Like I said I've made it through a few seasons without pit wheels, but I'm not really a role model.
    I've had wheels in the pits for like 2 races. I've flatted out of one crit.

  9. #59
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you don't have wheels in the wheel pit doesn't mean you can't find some in there, ya know. Ask forgiveness, not permission, and be willing to give your new friend a couple bucks for the help.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,423
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    Just because you don't have wheels in the wheel pit doesn't mean you can't find some in there, ya know. Ask forgiveness, not permission, and be willing to give your new friend a couple bucks for the help.
    Seriously uncool! And poor advice. It's one thing if you mistake someone else's identical wheels for yours. But, to knowingly go into the pits and take a wheel you know does not belong to you, which you did not place there and for which you haven't been previously granted permission is theft.

    It might be a bit different if it were a team mate's.

    This is the sort of **** that will earn you a bad reputation in a hurry.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,423
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post

    Oh wow. Those wheelbuilder deals are good. I wasn't looking for a complete wheel, just a hub. But, at a grand it would almost be like they were giving me the carbon clincher. Then I got offered a deal on a local auction for a G3/DT Swiss 465 combo.

    Mrs. Fred and I have been together for 8 years. This is the first time she's ever said "No." to something I wanted to spend on. Well, technically she didn't say, "No". It was more like, "For F$#^'s sake! Really? REallY? You want to spend how much? To learn how many watts you're producing while you ride your bicycle?" I interpreted that as a "no".

    Oh well, I do have a fitting scheduled for next week and am planning to spend a bit as a consequence of that. Stem, insoles, maybe custom shoes.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  12. #62
    Senior Member robabeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    space
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Supersix, Ultegra, Psimet wheels. CAAD7, Ultegra, wheels
    Posts
    1,339
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
    Oh wow. Those wheelbuilder deals are good. I wasn't looking for a complete wheel, just a hub. But, at a grand it would almost be like they were giving me the carbon clincher. Then I got offered a deal on a local auction for a G3/DT Swiss 465 combo.

    Mrs. Fred and I have been together for 8 years. This is the first time she's ever said "No." to something I wanted to spend on. Well, technically she didn't say, "No". It was more like, "For F$#^'s sake! Really? REallY? You want to spend how much? To learn how many watts you're producing while you ride your bicycle?" I interpreted that as a "no".

    Oh well, I do have a fitting scheduled for next week and am planning to spend a bit as a consequence of that. Stem, insoles, maybe custom shoes.
    What was that about asking forgiveness is easier than asking for permission?

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,423
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
    What was that about asking forgiveness is easier than asking for permission?
    Perhaps. But, we have a pretty good realationship with regard to most things and have, so far, avoid the common pitfall of arguing over money. I'll still probably get one. Just not right now. She's still in shock over learning that one her coworkers is rebuilding their house in order to make room for the husband's bikes:-)
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  14. #64
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    8,279
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    It's not so much that you're going to destroy wheels, it's that you'll want a set in the pits or the wheel truck for non-neutral support races. Flats happen. Got one during my FTP test yesterday.
    My ratio of FTP to flats is the same as yours. The lower my FTP, the more flats I get.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

  15. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My FTP just looks like I rode the test with a flat.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  16. #66
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
    Seriously uncool! And poor advice. It's one thing if you mistake someone else's identical wheels for yours. But, to knowingly go into the pits and take a wheel you know does not belong to you, which you did not place there and for which you haven't been previously granted permission is theft.

    It might be a bit different if it were a team mate's.

    This is the sort of **** that will earn you a bad reputation in a hurry.
    My teammates and I often share a spare pair of wheels. Look, I'm not saying this is exactly kosher, and I wouldn't grab the most expensive wheels I could, but if I wanted to finish the race, I'd grab _something_. I'd also stop as soon as the race was over and put it back exactly where it was.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    My Bikes
    T1, S2, P3
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my first season on a set of EA50s which can be had cheap. Lower end eastons but better than what came on my $1000 road bike.

    In a first season unless your stocks are really bad (I was breaking spokes constantly) I wouldn't upgrade. Spend the $500 on more race fees and better tires.

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    My teammates and I often share a spare pair of wheels. Look, I'm not saying this is exactly kosher, and I wouldn't grab the most expensive wheels I could, but if I wanted to finish the race, I'd grab _something_. I'd also stop as soon as the race was over and put it back exactly where it was.
    Sorry, this is bogus. If you wanted to make sure you finished the race, you would've brought your own damned pit wheels. It would truly suck if the guy whose wheels you "borrowed" had a flat the lap after you did.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  19. #69
    \_(ツ)_/ Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,772
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    My teammates and I often share a spare pair of wheels. Look, I'm not saying this is exactly kosher, and I wouldn't grab the most expensive wheels I could, but if I wanted to finish the race, I'd grab _something_. I'd also stop as soon as the race was over and put it back exactly where it was.
    I don't do crits enough to have ever put wheels in the pit, but even I know this is incredibly lame.

    Sorry, don't take other people's ****. What if the wheel you grab is a team-share and they have 3-4 guys counting on it being there if _they_ flat.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  20. #70
    Senior Member rankin116's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Troylet
    Posts
    3,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done a crit yet, what are the rules re: wheels in the pit? In the road races I've done it has been fair game, as long as there were enough wheels to warrant a driver, you could take any wheel in there.

  21. #71
    In the Pain Cave thechemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,646
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo all of the above. If you didn't bring wheels don't steal another guys. Teammates, maybe, if agreed upon. I have never heard of a free for all in road races and that is certainly not the case in TN...for good reason.

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The road race I've done (twice) that had a wheel truck specified that you'd get whatever wheel they handed you, though they'd try to get you yours. Two years ago they had a crew in the wheel truck that replaced the tubes in the tires that flatted as the race went on to ensure they didn't run out.
    Regards,
    Chuck

    Demain, on roule!

  23. #73
    Wheelsuck Fat Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
    The road race I've done (twice) that had a wheel truck specified that you'd get whatever wheel they handed you
    This.

    Look, maybe what I said is a D-bag move. Sorry to wind everyone up this early in the week. I've never done it, but I've seen it done (in CX) by a teammate. I stuck it in my memory bank 'just in case'.
    Austin doesn't have hippies. They have slightly rebellious Methodists. - Racer Ex

  24. #74
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Boy View Post
    This.

    Look, maybe what I said is a D-bag move. Sorry to wind everyone up this early in the week. I've never done it, but I've seen it done (in CX) by a teammate. I stuck it in my memory bank 'just in case'.
    Not even close to "this". What revchuck referred sounds like a policy from race organizers. Every crit I have done officials specifically said "wheels in wheels out", unless there is a neutral support. Grabbing someone else wheels, is stealing. You will not make a new friend, and if you did this to me I will make damn sure every official and every team knows that you are a thief and what club you ride for.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    My Bikes
    T1, S2, P3
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    road races are different, there is usually a 'neutral' support car that carries a dozen wheels that they ask teams to supply for. the idea being that 50km out there is only 1 car and he isn't exactly going to carry 70 sets of wheels. In those cases you may end up with someone else's wheel.

    a crit is different, the pit is big enough for everyone's wheel then you bring your own or don't finish.


    In any case, you should at least have a spare set of wheels in general in your life.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •