Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/)
-   -   When to be in the drops?? (http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/923445-when-drops.html)

rkwaki 12-06-13 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDcatV (Post 16307195)
it's raining out. should i be in the drops or should i go down to accounting and get a piece of the cake?

Rhetorical question...




Eat cake while in the drops...

waterrockets 12-06-13 01:25 PM

Random drops thread

rkwaki 12-06-13 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 16307205)
Random drops thread

That's what you get when you have a loose cutter...

thechemist 12-06-13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets (Post 16307205)
Random drops thread

Wait haven't you seen rkwaki in the drops? Personally, I prefer being on top when going up.

YMCA 12-06-13 03:17 PM

Why do I keep clicking on this thread? Somebody lock it, before I waste any more of my day. No offense skiers and rkwaki beaters.

needmoreair 12-06-13 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 16306049)
Please note that this strategy only works on very short climbs.

Doesn't have to be very short. Depends on the field and the speed. I've used such a strategy over 1-3 mile climbs before. Guess it also depends on your definition of a "very short" climb.

If a big enough field is strung out then 30-40s isn't that much of a stretch.

There's still a pretty significant difference in doing a climb in something like 10 minutes and doing it in 10:45.

If you're doing a race with multiple long climbs, then employing such a strategy in the earlier parts of a race could pay dividends later on when you want to be in the thick of it.

shovelhd 12-06-13 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 16306668)
Everyone should be doing long Z1 rides right now.

Sorry.

needmoreair 12-06-13 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDcatV (Post 16306179)
of course, but point being, there are times that regardless of skillset if you dont have the legs, you dont have the legs. our district championship race comes to mind, there's a 5-ish minute climb that is gradual but kicks at the top, then a non-descent downhill (i.e. pedaling required) into a few rollers, couple turns, into a 3-ish minute climb that is kind of steep, then goes through a few rollers. if you're off the back of climb 2, getting back to the group is very difficult.

every year, the bigger teams drive it hard (30+ mph) into the first climb, hammer up that one, keep pressure on until the second climb and maintaining position at the front just holding wheels is big, big effort. center line makes it that much more difficult. last year, a local bigger team had their national elite guys, local elite guys, and masters elite guys for about 14 in the field and they did this lap after lap until everything snapped. MDcatV snapped 2nd time through despite being in the top 10 at the bottom of climb 2, it was all about the legs.

to bring this back on topic, maybe if i'd been in the drops i would have won :)


Having adequate fitness will always be important.

Just suggesting there are ways to fake it a bit more once you become aware of it. If you have two guys with the same fitness but one is keyed in to staying out of the wind and surfing the pack to conserve energy on climbs and corners and selection points, then that second rider will very likely have the better finish.

That's one of the cool (and sometimes really frustrating) things about road racing. It's not always who's the strongest that has the better result, but who uses what they have in the most effective and efficient manner for them.

I think that's one of the really interesting things you can notice about group rides versus races. You can see guys that kill it in group rides, winning sprints or koms and whatnot, but despite being so strong they're not anywhere near the front of a race when it matters. There's a skill there that comes from gaining that experience and the more you can hone in at that in the beginning, the faster you can pick up on it.

globecanvas 12-06-13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needmoreair (Post 16307876)
Doesn't have to be very short. Depends on the field and the speed. I've used such a strategy over 1-3 mile climbs before. Guess it also depends on your definition of a "very short" climb.

If a big enough field is strung out then 30-40s isn't that much of a stretch.

There's still a pretty significant difference in doing a climb in something like 10 minutes and doing it in 10:45.

If you're doing a race with multiple long climbs, then employing such a strategy in the earlier parts of a race could pay dividends later on when you want to be in the thick of it.

All depends on context and expectations, I suppose. There's a big difference between being with the front group and being 45 seconds back. It's better to have the 45 seconds in reserve than not to, of course, but it's not realistic to think that a little strategery is going to prevent you from getting dropped on a real climb if you don't have the w/kg.

rapwithtom 12-06-13 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonrider (Post 16306991)
skiing injuries got me into cycling. without those injuries i would not be here. (some now wish i never got injured! :))

Me too.

needmoreair 12-06-13 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 16308196)
All depends on context and expectations, I suppose. There's a big difference between being with the front group and being 45 seconds back. It's better to have the 45 seconds in reserve than not to, of course, but it's not realistic to think that a little strategery is going to prevent you from getting dropped on a real climb if you don't have the w/kg.

I guess you can continue trying to argue it if you think it actually makes a difference.

Regardless, the point of what I've written is this: being aware of positioning and learning how to navigate the pack to get into the position you want to be in with as little energy expended as possible is what good bike racers do.

It's something to think about, it's something to work on. There are tangible gains to be made.

That's all.

rkwaki 12-06-13 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YMCA (Post 16307586)
Why do I keep clicking on this thread? Somebody lock it, before I waste any more of my day. No offense skiers and rkwaki beaters.

i'm like crack baby ;)

rideaz 12-07-13 04:10 PM

Re: the title of this thread...."When to be in the drops"....that would be when you are finishing a race with a sprint and a photographer is obviously at the finish line. I'm the only one not sprinting in the drops. Embarrassing newbie photo!
http://www.zazoosh.com/photos/837011944

revchuck 12-07-13 04:59 PM

I guess crossing the line before the other ladies took some of the sting from the embarrassment. ;)

Ygduf 12-08-13 08:57 PM


goto 9:23

MDcatV 12-09-13 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needmoreair (Post 16308388)
I guess you can continue trying to argue it if you think it actually makes a difference.

Regardless, the point of what I've written is this: being aware of positioning and learning how to navigate the pack to get into the position you want to be in with as little energy expended as possible is what good bike racers do.

It's something to think about, it's something to work on. There are tangible gains to be made.

That's all.

I can only speak for me, but I'm certainly not arguing against positioning and pack navigation being critical skills that a good bike racer needs to have. I've made a racing career out of using these aspects of bike racing to play above my pay grade.

ima drift climbing mutha fugga.:thumb:

echappist 12-10-13 12:20 PM

if you name is Martyn Ashton or if you want to be like him? Always


bigfred 12-10-13 01:31 PM

Damned! Those guys are good. I've really been enjoying the videos they've been putting out.

"Let's go for a road ride. 'It'll be fun.', he said":)

YMCA 12-10-13 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDcatV (Post 16314313)
ima drift climbing mutha fugga.:thumb:

fat guy fade

thechemist 12-10-13 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 16318069)
if you name is Martyn Ashton or if you want to be like him? Always


Dayum...

globecanvas 12-10-13 02:17 PM

https://www.facebook.com/martynashtonfanpage :(

aaronmcd 12-10-13 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 16318069)
if you name is Martyn Ashton or if you want to be like him? Always


1) How many tries did it take him to land on that train track rail?
2) It didn’t show him finish the front flip.
3) How did he get permission to ride in water parks?
4) His drops are higher than most hoods.

bigfred 12-10-13 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 16318880)
1) How many tries did it take him to land on that train track rail?
2) It didn’t show him finish the front flip.
3) How did he get permission to ride in water parks?
4) His drops are higher than most hoods.

1) They've been pretty open with their blooper reals from previous films. They make no pretenses about nailing any of the stunts in one try.
2) They didn't and I wondered the same thing on that one.
3) All of those guys are professional bmx/freestyle/trials riders. I suspect that opens doors for them (legally) that the rest of us wouldn't stand a chance with. They're projects have been too high profile and sponsor supported for them to be doing much on the downlow. Unlike so many of the freestyle & skate videos that you see.
4)It's not that his drops are that high, it's that his (their) saddle is slammed down on the top tube for all the obvious reasons.

Real bummer about his back injury. I hope he recovers use of his lower extremities. I broke my lower back in '94 and suffer from the complications to this day. I have another friend who did his in the same year and hasn't walked or picked up anything with a hand since. I hope Martyn recovers some of his mobility.

Racer Ex 12-10-13 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YMCA (Post 16318352)
fat guy fade

Texas climbing.

Ygduf 12-10-13 06:04 PM

^^ replace all present tense with past.

Martyn didn't finish filming after a severe spinal injury at a trials event. It's a bummer. Don't try these at home.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.