Here in Michigan, we're exploring a plan to issue lifelong bib numbers to all licensed riders in the state.
What would be the disadvantages?
For us, we're peninsular. We get very few out-of-state riders.
From year to year, we range between 1000 and 1200 licensed riders.
The biggest question is regarding mixed fields of 45+/55+ and W/55+ and W/J/45+ And all the Masters who race 1-2, etc.
Shoot it down. Or make it work.
We want to make it work.
Some obvious advantages:
- eliminates a cost for promoters.
- more convenient for riders
- uniformity for photo finish camera
- can use cloth numbers that are breathable and don't wrinkle
- can mandate use of two numbers in every race
- can color-code numbers to distinguish between categories.
But what's the deal breaker?