Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 2603
  1. #101
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Pinnacle-Reactor p/b JL Velo (and that's the short version lol) - they were Leopard-Sapporo last season.

    Should be easy to spot, our p/1/2 team wears bright orange helmets!!
    Right on. I'm quite familiar with the prior team. They usually had good numbers in the Red Kite events. Did Leopard stay on as a sponsor?
    Cat 2 upgrade status: never

  2. #102
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,029
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    Right on. I'm quite familiar with the prior team. They usually had good numbers in the Red Kite events. Did Leopard stay on as a sponsor?
    Dunno what happened with Leopard, but no. They seemed like sweet bikes tho!

    You on a team?

  3. #103
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Dunno what happened with Leopard, but no. They seemed like sweet bikes tho!

    You on a team?
    I am, although there were some major shakeups over the past month. We're a Leopard team as well (Leadout Racing). A couple of Folsom Bike's Cat 1 guys moved over to Marc Pro (Marc Pro also picked up some other powerhouse riders) and four of our Cat 1/2 guys moved over to Folsom Bike. Kind of like a farm system

    I think most of our remaining folks are cross and mountain, with a few roadies and a few do-it-alls.
    Cat 2 upgrade status: never

  4. #104
    Senior Member Monkeyclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sedona, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced 1, Giant TCX, Felt B2
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not So Underground Crit - Phoenix, AZ, Jan 12 2014
    35+/45+ combined (scored separately) and Cat 2/3/4
    A wonderful square course with wide roads and a slight hill to turn one and descent to turn two.
    ETA: 4th in 35+/45+; 7th in Cat 2/3/4

    I just have one race recap for both races because I did pretty much the exact same thing in both of them.

    The only difference was the start. In the 35+/45+, I started at the front and stayed around top 10 for the first three laps waiting for a break to form - it never did. In the 2/3/4 I didn't get to the line early and started at the back. Then when they blew the whistle, the guy in front of me couldn't get clipped in so he coasted looking down at his pedal instead of pedaling. Please remember, in a bike race YOU MUST PEDAL! After a short berating from me (having to double unclip because of him), I went around him already 100 meters behind the group so I had to catch up.

    After that, both races were about the same. Sit in the back tailgunning, cross any gaps by people dropping off, look ahead to see if anything is happening that I may need to chase. In the first race, very few breaks were tried and none got away. In the 2nd race, a 2-man break got away with around 4 laps to go and it wasn't caught. My strategy was to stay with the group and move midway up the group with two to go. In the back stretch, attack into the wind, stunning the group so much that they would stare in awe and horror as I rode away sitting up playing air guitar and singing Bohemian Rhapsody.

    This worked to near perfection in the masters race, where only 3 people got around me by the finish and I took 4th overall and, unfortunately, 4th in the 35+ category. Next year I'll be racing 45+, where I would have taken first, except that a good friend and sprinter will also be aging up so I would have taken 2nd. At least it would have been gas money to get home. As it was, my wife had to push.

    In the second race, I told sprinter-teammate the whole plan, except for the clip-in fail by the guy in front of me and subsequent chase to the group, and that he should grab my wheel and I would take him to the finish so we could sing a duet. I also got to chat with a new-teammate for a bit during the race. With 2 or 3 to go, new-teammate launched a vicious attack up the side of the hill but it was covered quickly. I didn't have the chance to tell him my master plan so he didn't realize my plan was NOT to hang out in the back and coast in DFL, although that's what it looked like I was doing. Also unfortunately, since sprinter-teammate hadn't seen me for the whole race and thought I was dropped after two laps, he ended up being part of the shock and awe group on the other side of the road, mouths agape as I hammered like there was a pizza waiting for me at the finish. A few other guys were also trying to get a slice of my pizza, including the two in the break. In both races, I came around corner 3 solo, kept hammering (not as hard in the second race because I was thinking about pizza...) and a few people got by each time. Around the 4th corner, I would stand up, hands in the drops, head low, mouth open like a baleen whale catching krill while my legs were spinning like a junior racer going down hill. It was close, but I got the 7th piece of pizza in the 2nd race.

    At the end of the second race, I asked sprinter-teammate what the reaction was when I attacked, never having seen it myself.
    One word.
    Panic.

    Video of the 34+/45+ race: http://youtu.be/SA7Cq4KB2Gw
    Last edited by Monkeyclaw; 01-14-14 at 11:35 AM. Reason: To get more love from Ygduf

  5. #105
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    name
    date
    event-category
    RESULT

    summary paragraph

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  6. #106
    Banana Pancakes furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,458
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the lack of an APA or MLA format, I liked the report Monkeyclaw.

  7. #107
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
    Despite the lack of an APA or MLA format, I liked the report Monkeyclaw.

    I feel like I'm the only one who likes to see the results clearly stated!

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  8. #108
    Senior Member Monkeyclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sedona, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced 1, Giant TCX, Felt B2
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    name
    date
    event-category
    RESULT

    summary paragraph
    Updated

  9. #109
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw View Post
    Updated
    Ahh, see! That's much more clear. Good work in the racing, too!

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  10. #110
    Senior Member aaronmcd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo S2, Ultegra 6700
    Posts
    1,261
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    name
    date
    event-category
    RESULT

    summary paragraph
    Ah yes, any single digit results need to be right near the top. 37th place should be hidden deep in the summary to be harder to find.

  11. #111
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
    Ah yes, any single digit results need to be right near the top. 37th place should be hidden deep in the summary to be harder to find.
    Ha...then you just say "pack finish"
    Cat 2 upgrade status: never

  12. #112
    Senior Member rideaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw View Post
    Not So Underground Crit - Phoenix, AZ, Jan 12 2014
    35+/45+ combined (scored separately) and Cat 2/3/4
    A wonderful square course with wide roads and a slight hill to turn one and descent to turn two.
    ETA: 4th in 35+/45+; 7th in Cat 2/3/4
    Well done! I was watching your race start...and saw the clip in fail. I told my friend "check out how pissed all the guys around him are".
    That was my first crit. I was hoping not to be like the guy who couldn't clip in...everything after that was a bonus! It was fun.
    Last edited by rideaz; 01-14-14 at 03:07 PM.

  13. #113
    Senior Member Monkeyclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sedona, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced 1, Giant TCX, Felt B2
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideaz View Post
    Well done! I was watching your race start...and saw the clip in fail. I told my friend "check out how pissed all the guys around him are".
    That was my first crit. I was hoping not to be like the guy who couldn't clip in...everything after that was a bonus! It was fun.
    Thanks. Yeah, I said something to him and I'm not a big talker. When the video gets posted, everyone will get to see it. He also almost took himself out on the last lap just as I was starting my attack. He was doing a hard pull at the front (for no reason), then swung off with his head down and almost went over the curb.

    Congrats on your first crit! Did I miss the race report?

  14. #114
    Senior Member rideaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I said something to him and I'm not a big talker. When the video gets posted, everyone will get to see it. He also almost took himself out on the last lap just as I was starting my attack. He was doing a hard pull at the front (for no reason), then swung off with his head down and almost went over the curb.

    Congrats on your first crit! Did I miss the race report?
    Maybe a couple pages back. Although, I think I used the wrong format. I'm such a newbie!

  15. #115
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,726
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw View Post
    Then when they blew the whistle, the guy in front of me couldn't get clipped in so he coasted looking down at his pedal instead of pedaling. Please remember, in a bike race YOU MUST PEDAL! After a short berating from me (having to double unclip because of him), I went around him already 100 meters behind the group so I had to catch up.
    Chill out.

  16. #116
    Senior Member Monkeyclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sedona, AZ
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Advanced 1, Giant TCX, Felt B2
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rideaz - Very nice! I had a friend in this race (in a Jobing.com kit, but so was everyone...). It was great to see all of the women racers in both the cat 4 and cat 1-3 races.

  17. #117
    illusoryly superior Ygduf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    My Bikes
    road bikes
    Posts
    5,566
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    Chill out.
    agreed. 100 yards is like 10s and there's no reason to wait behind a single guy for any duration near that.

    twitter.com/ygduf
    strava.com/athletes/ygduf

  18. #118
    Senior Member globecanvas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Gunks
    Posts
    1,231
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Tour of the Catskills last year I was chatting with a very nice masters racer who described his first bike race. He and his friend figured they were hot **** bike riders, so they traveled up from Brooklyn to race the first Tour of the Catskills, 8 years ago. In t-shirts and track pants. On their hybrid bikes. They got piles of scorn, predictably, but they did finish the race.
    Ninny

  19. #119
    Senior Member billh92109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    bro you didn't even say hi? wadahell! I was in the very last group and attacked on the 2nd lap that failboated when you guys caught me lol.

    Some guy claimed he could spin up to 300 cadence, I hope that wasn't you brah.

    this was a good clinic - would do again. I heard there was a wreck on one of the women's training races but I didn't hear if everyone was OK or not. Didn't really get a chance to talk to many people. At least I got to attempt a 'sprint' on the cat5 training race, as the last two races I got to the last turn and ddn't have the juice left for it.

  20. #120
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,231
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billh92109 View Post
    this was a good clinic - would do again. I heard there was a wreck on one of the women's training races but I didn't hear if everyone was OK or not. Didn't really get a chance to talk to many people. At least I got to attempt a 'sprint' on the cat5 training race, as the last two races I got to the last turn and ddn't have the juice left for it.
    yeah one of the women went down and she came back to where I was waiting and said, "people here don't know how to ride bikes". I sort of chuckled and said, "well they have to start somewhere". That in the saddle sprint by the women on the last lap was kind of fun to watch!

    I met some cool dudes there!

    Racing this year?
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  21. #121
    Banana Pancakes furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,458
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billh92109 View Post
    this was a good clinic - would do again. I heard there was a wreck on one of the women's training races but I didn't hear if everyone was OK or not. Didn't really get a chance to talk to many people. At least I got to attempt a 'sprint' on the cat5 training race, as the last two races I got to the last turn and ddn't have the juice left for it.
    bro you didn't say hi either! We need to get some kind of code working...

  22. #122
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,029
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
    agreed. 100 yards is like 10s and there's no reason to wait behind a single guy for any duration near that.
    I hate it when people can't clip the **** in... and fwiw 100m in a crit can be a big gap.

    I blame in on Look pedals. I assume they're called "Look" because you have to look at them and fiddle around to get clipped in?

    Speedplay ftw!

  23. #123
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,726
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    I hate it when people can't clip the **** in... and fwiw 100m in a crit can be a big gap.

    I blame in on Look pedals. I assume they're called "Look" because you have to look at them and fiddle around to get clipped in?

    Speedplay ftw!
    I think the point was that if it really WAS a 100 m gap that there was ample time to go around before it got that big. But it probably was not that big a gap.

    I don't know why anyone would make this out to be a big deal. It's not a cross race. Even pros miss a pedal sometimes. In a 2/3/4 master's race, yelling at someone for missing at the pedal is a dick thing to do. It means you need to chill out. He's not putting you in danger and he's not going to affect your result. So chill. And if you want to reduce the chance of being held up by someone missing a pedal, don't line up at the back.

  24. #124
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,029
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grolby View Post
    I think the point was that if it really WAS a 100 m gap that there was ample time to go around before it got that big. But it probably was not that big a gap.

    I don't know why anyone would make this out to be a big deal. It's not a cross race. Even pros miss a pedal sometimes. In a 2/3/4 master's race, yelling at someone for missing at the pedal is a dick thing to do. It means you need to chill out. He's not putting you in danger and he's not going to affect your result. So chill. And if you want to reduce the chance of being held up by someone missing a pedal, don't line up at the back.
    It's not a big deal - but neither is yelling in a race.

    And how about guys that can't clip the F in immediately don't try to line up in the front row?

    All I know is this happens in just about every race... and it's really annoying! It's not going to end anyone's race, but people should expect some grumbles from not being able to do something simple.

  25. #125
    Cat 5 Mod Jandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    I hate it when people can't clip the **** in... and fwiw 100m in a crit can be a big gap.

    I blame in on Look pedals. I assume they're called "Look" because you have to look at them and fiddle around to get clipped in?

    Speedplay ftw!
    Raced every EB crit (and patterson), a handful of road races, and a handful of crits last season. Didn't miss one clip-in on Looks. Do I get a cookie?
    Attack in the feeling because it says I'll win absolutely.

Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •