Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-14, 04:24 PM   #1
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Race Results app

Just published a new iOS app, this one will summarize race results for a given racer, and tell you:

* how many races total, and how many races last year
* how many wins, podiums, top tens

You can find it on the app store (free of course).

Hoping to calculate upgrade points as well in future versions.

No Android version at the moment - perhaps in the future.

Lemme know what you think!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 07:24 PM   #2
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 558
Nice screen shots. This is basically the race results module of your Race Ready app with user-enterable names, making it more results-focused rather than race-focused, right?
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 07:56 PM   #3
Ygduf 
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.
Posts: 9,240
podiums are 5-wide around here, and t-shirts are 6 deep!
__________________

twitter.com/ygduf
strava.com/athletes/ygduf
Ygduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 08:09 PM   #4
Inquisitor.
Senior Member
 
Inquisitor.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Just published a new iOS app, this one will summarize race results for a given racer, and tell you:

* how many races total, and how many races last year
* how many wins, podiums, top tens

You can find it on the app store (free of course).

Hoping to calculate upgrade points as well in future versions.

No Android version at the moment - perhaps in the future.

Lemme know what you think!

It looks like it's time to download another one of Matt's excellent apps.
Inquisitor. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 08:38 PM   #5
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell View Post
Nice screen shots. This is basically the race results module of your Race Ready app with user-enterable names, making it more results-focused rather than race-focused, right?
Yup, it is exactly that - for now.

I had to get this out in a rush before I start my new job, so it's very basic for now. Like I said I'm planning on adding to it in the future.

And the screenshot - it's me in case you couldn't tell! I used my most recent podium pic.. hoping to update it with a better podium pic soon! =]
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 08:39 PM   #6
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
podiums are 5-wide around here, and t-shirts are 6 deep!
I saw a picture of an 11-deep podium recently.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 05:07 AM   #7
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,381
I wanted to thank you for Race Ready. The new bikereg.com interface is horrible for mobile devices. Your interface is much cleaner. I have been using it in between races to go over race plans. I'll try this one next. If you could get it to me a mobile variant of road-results.com that would be awesome.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 05:27 AM   #8
globecanvas
Ninny
 
globecanvas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Gunks
Bikes:
Posts: 4,246
Could you please add the feature to edit race results? I have a few that I would like to improve.
globecanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 07:54 AM   #9
HOWSER
Senior Member
 
HOWSER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 210
Very nice. I just downloaded it.
HOWSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 08:00 AM   #10
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,804
I like. Name spelling suggestions would be helpful.

List alphabetization would be good too.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 08:01 AM   #11
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygduf View Post
podiums are 5-wide around here, and t-shirts are 6 deep!
Sounds like youth soccer. You're all winners.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 09:29 AM   #12
tetonrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Sounds like youth soccer. You're all winners.
so, my little boy likes to run, and he happens to be a bit faster than the other kids in his pre-school. on the playground the other day the kids did a race, and afterwards the kid who finished 2nd was talking about how he won. the teachers said "you ALL won!"

my kid said, "2nd place is pretty good, but it's not the same as winning."

i was so proud.

i'm the parent who has been going against the "everyone gets a medal" mentality. i didn't realize my kid was paying so much attention, though. (he came up to me after a bike race where i'd finished 2nd and asked me if i had won.)

some of my best lessons have been from a$$-kickings, and where is the shame in working as hard as possible and coming up a bit short? winning is a goal to strive for, not something to be handed out to everyone.

they don't even keep score at youth soccer around here. "both teams won. yay!" yeah, no.
tetonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 10:31 AM   #13
thechemist
In the Pain Cave
 
thechemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonrider View Post
so, my little boy likes to run, and he happens to be a bit faster than the other kids in his pre-school. on the playground the other day the kids did a race, and afterwards the kid who finished 2nd was talking about how he won. the teachers said "you ALL won!"

my kid said, "2nd place is pretty good, but it's not the same as winning."

i was so proud.

i'm the parent who has been going against the "everyone gets a medal" mentality. i didn't realize my kid was paying so much attention, though. (he came up to me after a bike race where i'd finished 2nd and asked me if i had won.)

some of my best lessons have been from a$$-kickings, and where is the shame in working as hard as possible and coming up a bit short? winning is a goal to strive for, not something to be handed out to everyone.

they don't even keep score at youth soccer around here. "both teams won. yay!" yeah, no.
i completely agree It is no different here btw. Don't want to keep score in case someones feelings get hurt...
thechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 11:38 AM   #14
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I wanted to thank you for Race Ready. The new bikereg.com interface is horrible for mobile devices. Your interface is much cleaner. I have been using it in between races to go over race plans. I'll try this one next. If you could get it to me a mobile variant of road-results.com that would be awesome.
Awesome man thanks!

I'm hoping this new app is (or will be) the mobile variant of road-results.com, essentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
I like. Name spelling suggestions would be helpful.

List alphabetization would be good too.
Yeah the search part is clunky, I admit - the problem is that I'm just using USAC's racer search, which also doesn't do autosuggest or name suggestions, so at this time I'm limited to what they offer.

Sorting the list is a good idea.. I was also thinking about allowing for groups (e.g. "my team", "those other guys", etc). Future updates will definitely do this part better.

Keep the feedback coming!
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 11:59 AM   #15
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,804
groups would be useful. I can see one having a lot of names on here and it being a bit unwieldy.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 12:02 PM   #16
Tyrell
Senior Member
 
Tyrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central TX
Bikes:
Posts: 558
Great stuff, Matt! How did I just now learn about road-results.com? Data!!!
Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 12:07 PM   #17
Wylde06
Senior Member
 
Wylde06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Bikes: Cannondale Six13
Posts: 1,693
This is pretty cool..and this is the first ive heard of Race Ready (I don't post much here..mostly lurk). Very cool apps
Wylde06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 04:41 AM   #18
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: teh Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 19,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Yeah the search part is clunky, I admit - the problem is that I'm just using USAC's racer search, which also doesn't do autosuggest or name suggestions, so at this time I'm limited to what they offer.
I don't mind so much that it exposes my lack of ability around spelling, or that there are guys I only know of, or barely know, who have difficult to spell names…but that it populates the name into the list only to be clicked and reveal no results. Then it's a swipe delete (nice and easy) and another attempt at spelling that guy's name.
gsteinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 07:21 AM   #19
EventServices
Announcer
 
EventServices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit's North Side.
Bikes: Many
Posts: 5,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
I saw a picture of an 11-deep podium recently.
I was announcing a race last year in which UHC took 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. So the 4th place rider begged us to present the top 5 on the podium so he could show his sponsor. Customarily, we were only doing 3-place podiums all day, but the UHC guys were cool with it, so we agreed.

During that period of time when we were waiting for everything to come together for the podium presentation, I kept paging the 4th place guy. He had disappeared. We waited. And waited. And waited. It's hot. The 4 UHC guys are sweating like pigs in their skinsuits. But they waited. I kept paging the guy. Finally, we gave up and presented the top 3. I apologized to 5th place. Several minutes later, 4th place showed up.

His lesson: if you're on the podium, stay in the "green room".
EventServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 10:46 AM   #20
JohnKScott
Senior Member
 
JohnKScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Franklin, TN
Bikes: None yo damn binness
Posts: 3,383
Cool apps!

I have android...

Oh...and I'm not racing right now so I guess it doesn't matter
JohnKScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 03:29 PM   #21
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Published an update today that estimates upgrade points! Field sizes and race types are taken into account.

However, note that mixed fields are not accounted for, so the points estimate may be a bit high if you do a lot of mixed cat racing.

I'm sure there are issues with it, but it seems to work with the racers I've been testing it with. Let me know if you see anything weird with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
I don't mind so much that it exposes my lack of ability around spelling, or that there are guys I only know of, or barely know, who have difficult to spell names…but that it populates the name into the list only to be clicked and reveal no results. Then it's a swipe delete (nice and easy) and another attempt at spelling that guy's name.
This issue has been addressed now - when you enter a name, the app will make sure a racer with that name exists before letting you add it.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 06:43 PM   #22
Gjc985
Senior Member
 
Gjc985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boston
Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP
Posts: 246
If you can for race ready can you creat something if it is possible that allows us to organize races we're registered for so its easy to find them.
Gjc985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 07:33 AM   #23
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,268
Very cool. Thank you!

One comment - It says i have more upgrade points than I do, I don't think it's mixed fields - what I am seeing is it is allocating upgrade points for a training series crit that was shorter than the time limit required to have upgrade points available. The crit was 25 minutes, and it's saying i got upgrade points for it, but BRAC never showed that, and they shouldn't count. Totally not complaining about this, by the way, just providing material for QC.

I just took another look at Race Ready - One thing I just saw that makes me really happy, is that when I navigated thru to the madsync registration page and looked at the registered riders for a race I'm about to do, the registered riders page displays correctly on my ipad. if i use the madsync web site directly, the page loads in some weird popup window that won't let me scroll down to the part of the page that shows my category. For this feature alone, it's hugely useful!
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:29 AM   #24
shovelhd 
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 15,381
Yes, the upgrade points piece isn't very useful. It says I have 33 points and my estimated category is 3. I am actually a Cat 2 with 15 points for the Cat1. Race Ready lets you enter your category in your profile. I think that if you added this along with the USAC upgrade logic you would be a lot closer to reality.

Race Ready sometimes does not pick up all of the Masters fields if there are multiple fields in the race.

This is is just FYI, not complaining at all. I used Race Ready again last week.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:33 AM   #25
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjc985 View Post
If you can for race ready can you creat something if it is possible that allows us to organize races we're registered for so its easy to find them.
Yeah, that would be cool!

There's no easy way to know if you have reg'd for a race, but I could at least add a "favorites" option or something.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 PM.