Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 87 of 87
  1. #76
    Announcer EventServices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the drops.
    My Bikes
    Too many and not enough
    Posts
    4,998
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousferret View Post
    He's right, 80% of the riders have never ridden in a pack before but insist on jumping in your rotating paceline.
    This is the premise of the famous Yelling thread, you know.

    And I agree: I feel much safer in a race than I do in a group of charity riders. It's kind of the same way that I feel safer on a motorcycle than a car.

  2. #77
    Senior Member kleinboogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More clinics will help. For someone brand new it's all a mystery so the faster they get into one the better. I learned the first steps from training rides with the Pro/1/2 team from my club but not everyone gets that. More clinics, easy to find the and having experienced riders laying down some tough love.

  3. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinboogie View Post
    I learned the first steps from training rides with the Pro/1/2 team from my club but not everyone gets that. More clinics, easy to find the and having experienced riders laying down some tough love.
    Me, too. And that's what I would have always suggested, getting plugged into a club with some experienced people and riding as much as you can with them.

    But this whole Strava phenomenon has really changed the group ride dynamics where I live. It's really insane. Instead of those good, long, steady rides so essential to getting in the miles and getting to know everyone, every hill is a KOM and dropped riders are left to their own.

    Any one else notice this? It seems really hard to find just a good, steady ride that doesn't turn into a race at every point.

  4. #79
    Senior Member jsutkeepspining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
    Posts
    4,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the key is to be soo much stronger than everyone else that their race is your z2.
    cat 1-o-meter: wtf am i doing??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    You're not dumb. You're just less smart.

  5. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
    the key is to be soo much stronger than everyone else that their race is your z2.
    I'm thinking of the newbies, not myself.

  6. #81
    Elite Fred mollusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Edge City
    My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Posts
    10,652
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    I guess I haven't done the charity rides you guys are talking about cause the ones around here are filled with super slow people riding 14mph for 7 hours ride time and 14 hours total time to complete a century.
    The ones around where I live have the front group finishing in 4:20 or less.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

  7. #82
    Elite Fred mollusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Edge City
    My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Posts
    10,652
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EventServices View Post
    This is the premise of the famous Yelling thread, you know.
    DING!

    My favorite thread ever.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

  8. #83
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    12,401
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoreair View Post
    I'm thinking of the newbies, not myself.
    Absolutely. They're a great group of guys but when they start that Strava crap I sit up.

  9. #84
    Senior Member kleinboogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoreair View Post
    Me, too. And that's what I would have always suggested, getting plugged into a club with some experienced people and riding as much as you can with them.

    But this whole Strava phenomenon has really changed the group ride dynamics where I live. It's really insane. Instead of those good, long, steady rides so essential to getting in the miles and getting to know everyone, every hill is a KOM and dropped riders are left to their own.

    Any one else notice this? It seems really hard to find just a good, steady ride that doesn't turn into a race at every point.
    I never put the two together but now that you mention it, it explains a lot of the rides I've been on.

  10. #85
    Senior Member jsutkeepspining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohioland/right near hicville farmtown
    Posts
    4,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by needmoreair View Post
    I'm thinking of the newbies, not myself.
    wait doesn't everyone start out being a cat 1 equivalent?
    cat 1-o-meter: wtf am i doing??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
    You're not dumb. You're just less smart.

  11. #86
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,660
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy that was in my clinic 2 years ago beat me today in my race. I'm proud of him, proud that he's learning the art of bike racing.
    "...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

  12. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
    wait doesn't everyone start out being a cat 1 equivalent?
    They do on the internet!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •