Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76
  1. #51
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,040
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a sponsor shop tent at the start/finish

  2. #52
    Powered by Borscht ovoleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    Russian Vodka
    Posts
    8,283
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a tough crowd here hahah
    -Cat-3-o-meter: TBD :/

  3. #53
    formerly dnuzzomueller dz_nuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    It genuinely doesn't mean I should be happy, or I can't complain about it on a message board
    Well then why can't I complain about black ice?
    I don't like cats.

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dz_nuzz View Post
    Well then why can't I complain about black ice?
    Despite decades of trying, scientists have never been able to create water ice which is black.

  5. #55
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dz_nuzz View Post
    Well then why can't I complain about black ice?
    ok. I genuinely I have no clue what you're talking about. You're well within you're right to complain about anything you want. That said if your complaint has to do with water freezing below a certain temperature the level of sympathy I have for whatever follows from that might have limits.

  6. #56
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,672
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big AR fan, but you definitely picked a great brand.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Silvercivic27's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    My Bikes
    Scott addict, Colnago asso, Cervelo S5
    Posts
    1,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have bought a second bike instead of a bunch of cameras.

  8. #58
    Senior Member furiousferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom View Post
    Despite decades of trying, scientists have never been able to create water ice which is black.
    Funny, I could make purple popsicles at the age of 7. Getting to black must require a pretty big learning curve.

    Quote Originally Posted by ovoleg View Post
    this is a tough crowd here hahah
    That's what I was thinking. People don't magically ride like Peter Sagan after a few races.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tulsa OK
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondale125 View Post
    Wow. That was cat 4/5 running 30 mph?
    I'm guessing a sprint speed of at least 40mph.

  10. #60
    Senior Member cannondale125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    St Louis
    My Bikes
    Cannondale six13/ Connondale CAAD 9
    Posts
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by therhodeo View Post
    I'm guessing a sprint speed of at least 40mph.
    one of the fastest 4/5 I every heard of but hey I guess anything is possible. ; )

  11. #61
    Announcer EventServices's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the drops.
    My Bikes
    Too many and not enough
    Posts
    4,994
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late in the game to mention this, but that never stopped me before:

    Was that really the shape of the course, or were you just being funny?

  12. #62
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 View Post
    Should have bought a second bike instead of a bunch of cameras.
    i laughed.

  13. #63
    **** that mattm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CALI
    Posts
    11,183
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    Tough call. As always, I'll preface this with a I'm still very new to racing and riding in general really. With that, it seemed to be a collective lack of awareness and prepardness. It looked like there was a good amount of space wherein if you were bumped you had room to recover. Not assigning blame on any individual, but one thing we're told here locally just before the whistle blow is "protect yourself and your bars at all times". I figure it is racing and I need to be prepared for the unexpected and be able to respond according to keep myself upright. I keep a video on hand anytime I think my bike handling skills are "adequate" that I'll watch to remind myself that I have a loooong way to go with skills and comfort. There is quite a bit of contact, line changes, shuffling, etc.


    Land Park is always a fun race.

    The San Rafael crit from last year is a better showing of p/1/2 racing I think:



    Land Park just has the local big boys, but San Rafael had Bahati and a few other big names show up, and guys are taking WAY more risks in order to win it. Fun stuff (I was in both races).
    pro-meter: lol

    blog

  14. #64
    Senior Member hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Land Park is always a fun race.

    The San Rafael crit from last year is a better showing of p/1/2 racing I think:



    Land Park just has the local big boys, but San Rafael had Bahati and a few other big names show up, and guys are taking WAY more risks in order to win it. Fun stuff (I was in both races).
    Def a bigger and more competitive field at San Rafael. I dig the Land Park video as it is just so chaotic (that may be related to Chuck's herky jerky riding though), so much movement, so dense, but everyone stays upright (there was an earlier non-collision crash not on the video). Now, compare that to the OPs video and it shows how different the pack nature between 5s and P12s really is.

  15. #65
    Steel Member fiataccompli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    N + 1
    Posts
    1,378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My very first race (after years of riding with the last several being riding with the local racing crowd on a lot of their training rides..so quite used to group riding, dynamics, cornering, etc.) was a local series Cat4/5 crit race. On the last lap, I was sure I was poising myself for an impressive jump to the finish sprint as I went into a corner & was promptly taken out when the rider in front of me went down (taking me & another rider out). apparently the sound of my carbon bar cracking resonated through the park where the race was held and my 14 year old son came over in short order ready to kick someone's butt for taking his dad out of the race (others, I'm told were sickened by what they thought was the resonance of a broken bone across the park). I had to spend a bit of time convincing him that my (not "the") crash was my own fault and it was an inherent risk of racing. I knew the guy I was drafting was leaning his bike too much in the corners, but he had the line and his draft was where I thought I needed to be at that point so I took the risk. In that case, I lost. I came back the next week and snagged a 2 or 3 finish, complete with ugly & bloody knees and a big grin on my face. Later, the guy who wrecked did apologize and actually told me he thought I was really mad about it. I told him not to think about it again (but not to corner like you're on a motorcycle either) and since then we've become good friends and teammates. None of that's to say it didn't suck. Sorry to hear the OPs experience was more unpleasant.

  16. #66
    formerly dnuzzomueller dz_nuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    ok. I genuinely I have no clue what you're talking about. You're well within you're right to complain about anything you want. That said if your complaint has to do with water freezing below a certain temperature the level of sympathy I have for whatever follows from that might have limits.
    Oh just an old reference to an old thread. I am just poking a little fun here.
    I don't like cats.

  17. #67
    starting pistol means war YMCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east coast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3
    Posts
    3,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 View Post
    Should have bought a second bike instead of a bunch of cameras.
    liking the dry bit here

  18. #68
    Senior Member Inquisitor.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
    how the heck did you do that?


    The shop owner was in the race with me, and we get a team deal with Felt.




    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    I'm not a big AR fan, but you definitely picked a great brand.

    I've heard great things about the 2014 AR, so I decided to give it a shot.




    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercivic27 View Post
    Should have bought a second bike instead of a bunch of cameras.

    Probably, but then you wouldn't have seen my impressive bike handling skills.




    Quote Originally Posted by therhodeo View Post
    I'm guessing a sprint speed of at least 40mph.

    Wish I could hit 40mph without help. My fastest sprint on a flat with no wind was 37mph. Typically it's around 34-35mph.




    Quote Originally Posted by EventServices View Post
    A little late in the game to mention this, but that never stopped me before:


    Was that really the shape of the course, or were you just being funny?

    Yes.



    Quote Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
    My very first race (after years of riding with the last several being riding with the local racing crowd on a lot of their training rides..so quite used to group riding, dynamics, cornering, etc.) was a local series Cat4/5 crit race. On the last lap, I was sure I was poising myself for an impressive jump to the finish sprint as I went into a corner & was promptly taken out when the rider in front of me went down (taking me & another rider out). apparently the sound of my carbon bar cracking resonated through the park where the race was held and my 14 year old son came over in short order ready to kick someone's butt for taking his dad out of the race (others, I'm told were sickened by what they thought was the resonance of a broken bone across the park). I had to spend a bit of time convincing him that my (not "the") crash was my own fault and it was an inherent risk of racing. I knew the guy I was drafting was leaning his bike too much in the corners, but he had the line and his draft was where I thought I needed to be at that point so I took the risk. In that case, I lost. I came back the next week and snagged a 2 or 3 finish, complete with ugly & bloody knees and a big grin on my face. Later, the guy who wrecked did apologize and actually told me he thought I was really mad about it. I told him not to think about it again (but not to corner like you're on a motorcycle either) and since then we've become good friends and teammates. None of that's to say it didn't suck. Sorry to hear the OPs experience was more unpleasant.
    When it comes down to it, I'm solely responsible for protecting myself in a bike race. A bicycle can be replaced, and road rash will heal. If I learned how to avoid a similar situation in the future, that was a reasonable price to pay.

  19. #69
    powered by Racer Ex gsteinb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    teh Jersey
    Posts
    16,317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor. View Post
    The shop owner was in the race with me, and we get a team deal with Felt.

    You crashed him out of the race, and then got a bike deal walking back to the start/finish line? You could sell ice to an eskimo.
    Last edited by gsteinb; 04-11-14 at 02:58 PM.

  20. #70
    Senior Member HOWSER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    Land Park is always a fun race.

    The San Rafael crit from last year is a better showing of p/1/2 racing I think:


    Sweet vid!

  21. #71
    una carrera contrarreloj Matt2.8NJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    My Bikes
    Various
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
    I'm not a big AR fan, but you definitely picked a great brand.
    What's wrong with the AR?
    ___________________________________________
    Cat 2 O-Meter ..... about 1/3rd of the way there.

  22. #72
    Senior Member shovelhd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    11,672
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who said anything was wrong?

  23. #73
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    Tough call. As always, I'll preface this with a I'm still very new to racing and riding in general really. With that, it seemed to be a collective lack of awareness and prepardness. It looked like there was a good amount of space wherein if you were bumped you had room to recover. Not assigning blame on any individual, but one thing we're told here locally just before the whistle blow is "protect yourself and your bars at all times". I figure it is racing and I need to be prepared for the unexpected and be able to respond accordingly to keep myself upright. I keep a video on hand anytime I think my bike handling skills are "adequate" that I'll watch to remind myself that I have a loooong way to go with skills and comfort. There is quite a bit of contact, line changes, shuffling, etc.


    That was seriously scary to watch. I was expecting a huge pile up at any second. The 4/5 field was less sketchy when I did it couple weeks ago.

    I remember two serious contacts mid corner. One was at a Lodi crit. This fat ass, I am being literal here, squeezed in to a gap that wasn't really there mid corner. He pretty much slammed in to my handle bar with his ass. I stayed up, but I wasn't a happy camper.

    A second time was in the something or other masters championship in a CAT3/4 field. I was being a tad too aggressive through the corner, but so is the other guy I think. We made contact in the middle of it. Bumped around a bit, he fell behind I went through the corner. Afterward he commended me on my bike handling skills. Which I thought was pretty kool.

    Now that I said it I am pretty sure I jinksed myself and will be involved in a pile up at next race or something. lol.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  24. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    877
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess the experts have already figured this out, but by watching the video, there is what appears to be black oil/fluid that had spilled onto the road from some kind of vehicle/equipment, during the right turn. It looks like a pretty clear/even radius turn the fluid makes.

    You, about half way on top of that fluid, are actually moving outward from that same arc, when you should have been tightening up/turning right more to stay on top of, or inside the fluid on the ground.

    You actually appeared to drift outward, as the guy was making his arc/turn with a normal radius. So you with a decreasing radius, him with a normal/increasing radius, means you quickly meet in the middle and somebody might fall.

    But, maybe I'm wrong on this and it is all the other guys fault.


    That Land Park, looks more like amateur bike handling hour and skills...idiots on bikes doing stupid stuff for $100 and zero fame...except infamous sketchiness.
    Last edited by zigmeister; 04-15-14 at 12:25 PM.
    HTFU

  25. #75
    Senior Member Inquisitor.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new bike is in. I just need to put the crankset, power meter, and race wheels on.

    image.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •